daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #641
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

the shape is indeed a bit similar , but really just a bit .
ZZ-II no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #642
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

1) I really don't get it.....isn't that Chicago's skyline?? There's a building equal to John Hancock Center Center.

2) the design is very dissponting. It reminds a little of Sears Tower -again Chicago- but much, much cheaper design. In fact, Willis (ex Sears) Tower is a magnificent building, this one's not.
I don't understand how China build this after wonders like Shangai Tower or ICC center in Hong Kong.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #643
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

1) Sometimes the people who make renders for towers use bits and pieces of random cities around to world to fit with the tower better.

2) I agree.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #644
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Whatever anyone thinks of the actual design, the whole point of this proposal is to demonstrate a way to build supertalls on the cheap, no? It's not supposed to be pretty, IMO, it's supposed to be mass-produced, not that good exterior designs would be unwelcome.

It's the Walmart of high-rise architecture.

Personally, I relish the idea of these sorts of towers proliferating, if the tech really can hold up to wind and quakes, etc.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #645
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Yeah I agree. I find discussing "design" of this tower a bit retarded to me, since this is totally not the point in this project. It's like settling whether chip design looks nice or not. It's all about the technology what's fascinating in this project. There is no design here, since there are just mass produced box pieces stacked one on the other so there is simple no way to design anything. Well it could be if they would have freedom of distributing more randomly the pieces (like in sears), but this most likely is restricted as well since they have to arrange it in pyramidal shape to guarantee stability at those heights.

The only thing to discuss here is whether we like the idea of rising such prefabricated structures or not. I for one wouldn't like them in every city since they sure don't add aesthetic value to the skylines but I still find the idea very much. If those towers would be as they say inhabited by people of all social classes and would secure means of live, work and entertainment in a single building that would make first true vertical city on earth. Sure there are other tall towers around the world build or planned like Kingdom Tower. But they are just statues for theirs creator to show off to the word and pretty much nothing else. Notice how little space towers like Burj Khalifa or Kingdom Tower have. And only super reach people will live there (if they will really live there, not just use the place for a week in a year). Forget about facilities like schools or hospitals. They are just impractical landmarks. And here's why Sky City is so fascinating to me.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; September 8th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
patrykus no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #646
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Agreed. It's brutal and yet, so massive that one can't really help but be impressed in at least a simple sense. But aestically? No, I can't see this hitting records in that book (though I hope I'm mistaken). But am I worried? No, because again that's not what this building is looking to accomplish.

Should it be built it'd be nice to see updates as to what the average rooms and facilties would look like. For example, T30's interior looked like a pretty decent hotel room if a little spartan (though I figure they'd put TVs and fit out more once the building was done). It's not 5 star of course but for people who just want a place that they can live comfortably in without being rural or even a slum or such, I would imagine BSB has the fit out figured out.

While I'm not denying that the old WTC for example had lots of beauty in straight lines, along with the lobbies and plaza, I know it turned out in reality quite a bit different than what Yamasaki envisioned of an Italian Plaza. But yet, we have all found that it had beauty if nothing else than in sheer size and massiveness in modernism. I feel this tower might end up being the same - hated at first but people may slowly end up appreciating it. /endoldwtcrantsorry

First and foremost though, I'm just excited to see if they can really engineer something this high to be built so fast and to wach it go up. I mean, every day we'd have photos showing significant progress! Hope it goes ahead if for nothing else than a new foray into what is possible for the masses with a tall building.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #647
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The difference is that the WTC was extremely elegant, well proportioned, stunning, and reflected the no-nonsense and business-like aura of the city.

This? It's a worthless design. The only redeeming feature of this building is that the interior will be very useful. Otherwise, it will just be a massive, unsightly blot.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #648
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

I think if this is built. It will really be an icon simply because of it's massive size and height. Anyone who saw this building with a well established skyline will remember it's Changsha. Add a laser beam on top and make sure the glass cladding are especially transparent.
CoCoMilk no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #649
Igor Antunov
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
This? It's a worthless design. The only redeeming feature of this building is that the interior will be very useful.
Contradicting much? It will be useful where it matters. Who cares about cosmetics.
Igor Antunov no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #650
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

It isn't the prettiest thing, but with this size it will be damn impressive.
This also won't spoil any major skyline...it's not like they build it right in Shanghai Pudong or Hong Kong Central.
cfredo no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #651
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Well again that's what I'm agreeing with. Beauty will probably be left to the eye of the beholder in this case, even if most of us may think it's not pretty architecturally. But hey, it'll serve a heck of a lot of people and since China needs that, hopefully it'll work.
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #652
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

if this building would get build it is so massive that the size and proportions alone are so amazing that you won't even realize the design.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #653
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

While the shape, height and other features are radically different, the simple mass of the tower as imagined and compared to in the Chicago skyline reminds me back of that old Mile High proposal back when "Skycraper!" aired on PBS/Nova by Robert Sobel, though I can't seem to find a reference. Had a triangular base with tapering tubes though.
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #654
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Nice to see an enormous skyscraper design that isn't just a three-lobed spire
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #655
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo View Post
It isn't the prettiest thing, but with this size it will be damn impressive.
This also won't spoil any major skyline...it's not like they build it right in Shanghai Pudong or Hong Kong Central.
isn't that even worse that its built with nothing around it to play off of?
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #656
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6862

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
No.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #657
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Whatever anyone thinks of the actual design, the whole point of this proposal is to demonstrate a way to build supertalls on the cheap, no? It's not supposed to be pretty, IMO, it's supposed to be mass-produced, not that good exterior designs would be unwelcome.

It's the Walmart of high-rise architecture.

Personally, I relish the idea of these sorts of towers proliferating, if the tech really can hold up to wind and quakes, etc.
No. It's expected to be profitable and ecological.

A more spread out version of "eco-design"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsaMSLZ3lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
Changsha is not just some hick town you know.

BY ★笑面龍★ (panoramio.com)
skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #658
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

for a 800m+ tower even 200m buildings look like nothing really. but i think with no other supertalls around this baby will look even insaner.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #659
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Broad group used to have a detailed pdf of the project when it was still planned as a 666m tall tower. They took it off their website, but I've reuploaded it for those of you who had missed it:

TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #660
Trox

Likes (Received): 0

If efficiency, economy and ecology are really the essential aspects of this project, i do not understand the proposed height. Just for the sake of saving space?
Trox no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city