daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #701
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

spire looks bigger than 1 WTC's. To get the CTBUH's ruling as the World's tallest no doubt...
Hudson11 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #702
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

If it ends up looking like this, I might end up liking it a bit. I'm so happy they ditched the X design (Ugliest thing ever)
I still find it ugly and disproportional, though. If they removed the very first setback, and that cube on top, it would look MUCH better.
It's beautiful and the surrounding forest too. for me this is the project of the millenium
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #703
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

a little mockup i just made. the base is slimmer and the top a bit bigger than seen (due to perspective). but it gives a pretty good example of what it looks like. and it looks like the roof height will be a good height above 700m.

credits go to the original drawer at SSP and the designers of Sky City

the design looks simply amazing and finally more realistic than the previous ones, i hope these designs are by real architects now, it certainly looks like it though. simply amazing design.

and for people who call spire cheat, it of course is cheating, but this is only about 10 percent of its full height that makes the spire above the actual roof. that's not even more than what taipei 101 has and even a bit less than ping-an

Last edited by KillerZavatar; September 25th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #704
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I doubt there's a forest around it. I think it's just a trick by the renderers to try to make this thing look better.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #705
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

no need to make it look better, the simplicity makes this tower so damn elegant it is amazing, especially the clear cladding and distinct edges, this makes it so much better, especially with a real spire now and not one attached to the side like it was on the model. btw the model looks nearly the same, so may this be the final design? i surely hope they gave their ideas to an architect firm or something and they perfectionated them. but then again the model and this render looks far too similar.

edit: yeah comparing this to my mock-up, i see that the design did not change any bit (except the spire)
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #706
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I'm thinking it looks nice. Well, hey, that's normal for developers to show their buildings surrounded by beauty or if conceptual, nothing at all. Granted these concepts are much different than say, how 1WTC was presented in early massing models but that's also fitting into an established city whereas this pretty much makes its own. Some early renders of the superblock towers in Dubai had the tower surrounded by nothing for example, when in reality they'd be blocked in on two or three sides.

If they could keep the pristine beauty of that forest due to the saved sprawl, that'd be fantastic. There'd need to be at least some kind of huge roads or buffer / public zones for a tower of this size even if it was in a city though so it'll still stand out in it's own.

Now that there's more info and I don't feel like I'm the sole bumper of the thread, I'd give this a shot at having the best chance of any newest supertall proposal to be built. I'd say WTB but I still think Kingdom Tower might eek out the height first. If they shoot this up as fast as they claim then ok, WTB status for a brief timeframe.

Either way love the new renders. thanks.

...Looks like China just went all Arcology on us! Hahaha.

Last edited by The-Real-Link; September 25th, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #707
Toetallix
The Manchester Invasion

Likes (Received): 2129

I know it's a bit early to assume stuff but are we saying that the new spire takes it up to 838m or is that the roof height with the spire taking it up further? Judging by KillerZavatar's diagram, the 1st.
Toetallix no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #708
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It's beautiful and the surrounding forest too. for me this is the project of the millenium
It's cool and all, but I thought the point of this whole concept was to accomodate lots of people in a short time on a small footprint. Building this in a park kinda makes this concept worthless..
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #709
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toetallix View Post
I know it's a bit early to assume stuff but are we saying that the new spire takes it up to 838m or is that the roof height with the spire taking it up further? Judging by KillerZavatar's diagram, the 1st.
the 2nd would be amazing, but i am pretty sure that if they put a spire on top they will name the more impressive height, which is the bigger number ;D
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #710
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
It's cool and all, but I thought the point of this whole concept was to accomodate lots of people in a short time on a small footprint. Building this in a park kinda makes this concept worthless..
I think it's just the render.
cfredo no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #711
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
a little mockup i just made. the base is slimmer and the top a bit bigger than seen (due to perspective). but it gives a pretty good example of what it looks like. and it looks like the roof height will be a good height above 700m.

credits go to the original drawer at SSP and the designers of Sky City
This tower looks 1000x better than Khalifa, there's more definition to it.

Last edited by windowsoftheworld; September 25th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #712
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

These renders are amazing! The simple but massive and tall design is just great, would love to see it build exactly like that
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #713
trimetileno

Likes (Received): 4

Really beautiful! But I don't like so much the spire, I'd prefer it without these "cables".
trimetileno no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #714
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4410

If this is built looking like the render it will become a tourist attraction.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #715
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

A tourist and terrorist attraction you mean

This tower is more of an engineering break through rather than an architectural break through

What ever it is, I prefer the more modest 300-500m towers most
deepblue01 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #716
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

The concept of the super-scraper and surrounding nature is perfect. I first saw this in the Tokyo Sky City video. If you can fit 100,000 people and everything they need into each tower, you can get rid of the roads, and powerlines and congestion of a typical city. Connect 20 of these and you have a city of 2 million in a small area with nothing but natural Earth around them. This is the future.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...city&FORM=IGRE
Scrapernab2 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #717
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

If it ends up looking like this, I might end up liking it a bit. I'm so happy they ditched the X design (Ugliest thing ever)
I still find it ugly and disproportional, though. If they removed the very first setback, and that cube on top, it would look MUCH better.
holy crap, this actually looks good...

When does construction start ?
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #718
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
The concept of the super-scraper and surrounding nature is perfect. I first saw this in the Tokyo Sky City video. If you can fit 100,000 people and everything they need into each tower, you can get rid of the roads, and powerlines and congestion of a typical city. Connect 20 of these and you have a city of 2 million in a small area with nothing but natural Earth around them. This is the future.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...city&FORM=IGRE
Wow, your right. The futuristic city that we dreamed of is finally becoming a reality.

Lets hope this isn't the next step

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #719
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
A tourist and terrorist attraction you mean

This tower is more of an engineering break through rather than an architectural break through

What ever it is, I prefer the more modest 300-500m towers most
terrorist? i dont think terrorists really care about china, although i usually prefer things below 2000 feet becuase i feel more is ridiculous, i must say i love the latest renderings :P
1Filipe1 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #720
i love supertalls

Likes (Received): 8

the building has already been approved by the Chinese government? the building has already been approved by the Chinese government? Construction began that day?
i love supertalls no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city