daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #1041
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Good to see this thread appear again. Even cancelled buildings' threads stay in the Proposed section for longer than this tower has it seems. It was surprising to have seen it removed.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #1042
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

How do you know it's still worthy of being considered 'proposed?' Was there news change?
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora  
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1043
luhai

Likes (Received): 422

no, there was no news change. the original news just said the sky city might not get approved as it is, all speculations really. However the approval process seems to be dragging on longer than usual. I think the mods pull the trigger too quick to place it on the cancelled section.

It could be the new administration is putting the break on the investment boom, and has placed more scrutiny on project review, thus mega projects can't expect fast approval anymore. (let's hope this doesn't lead years of government review and red tape...)
luhai no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1044
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

So this project lives? It reappeared just as quickly as it disappeared, LOL
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1045
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

well the current design wasn't approved, doesn't mean it can go thru with changes, it is still a doubtful project
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1046
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

There was never any evidence that it was cancelled. It's just that a number of people reacted negatively to various information, like "it hasn't yet been approved by local environmental impact experts" or "it only has a 3 hour fire resistence". Coupled with that you have people like ThatOneGuy saying, "No need to worry, it's not being built"
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1047
ThatOneGuy

There were comments that made me think that, lol
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #1048
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
How do you know it's still worthy of being considered 'proposed?' Was there news change?
Sorry, not to my knowledge. I'm just a skyscraper fan; no insider here. I think as others said, the mods just abruptly pulled this thread down a little faster than normal. Sure the project has some delay and a lot of doubt, but time will tell if it goes ahead in some shape or form.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #1049
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The project was never cancelled in the first place, only that it hasn't won government approval yet, which many Chinese project in this section hasn't. I believe the initial study finds that it's a concern that so many people will be concentrated in this building the evacuation time will be too long. That is based on the fact BSB considers this building a city of its own, so they may have to rethink that.

This is more of a technology demonstrator so they should build the same building, but drastically reduce its capacity, probably through increasing public space and reducing the number of condos, etc. I'm pretty sure they will not be making money building it anyway.
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1050
TheZoolooMaster

Despite how much I'm looking forward to this being built and have the nay-sayers shut up, I also think that BSB is clearly better suited for smaller scale construction, like the high-rise/skyscrapers ~100m-200m. In fact, with the demonstrations that they have already offered, I imagine they would probably have already been given the green light for such buildings.
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1051
ThatOneGuy

But then BSB wouldn't have as much fame as this publicity stunt they're pulling off gave them.
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1052
TheZoolooMaster

I agree, but I don't think that publicity would necessarily be useful. The Chinese government does what it wants, and only they have the power to make these projects a reality. Publicity stunts like this I'm sure have less impact than in the West, and China is Broad Group's main market for the moment.

We mustn't forget the 30-storey tower time-lapse that almost went viral last year, either:
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1053
hmmwv

To a degree they have already succeeded, just look at how much attention this thread got, and the various news pieces circulated around international media. At the moment this project should remain as a proposal, nothing more, nothing less.
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1054
TheZoolooMaster

I don't think the popularity of this thread is representative of their success. "Journalists" who write "articles" for various online magazines have a greater impact. And the figures speak for themselves:
-this thread: 153'000 views
-one video about BSB: 5'276'000 views
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #1055
hmmwv

Of course not in a general public sense, but the popularity on this forum is representative that this kind of project naturally attracts people's attention.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #1056
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Their construction method isn't really suited to a megatall. The short lifespan of the structural integrity in the event of a fire, because they're (presumably) using an all-steel construction, is a major deal-breaker. Just because this building would never be targeted by terrorists, doesn't mean that unexpected fires don't happen -- it's a fact of life.

I would like to see them use their building method to build a supertall (but not megatall) with a very wide girth. Their method seems very suited to something like that. Like a 400m+ building with the width of 3x3 1WTC's. The stuff they brag about concerning air purity and sustainable energy use are exactly what such a building would call for.

I support anything that will speed us toward a Neuromancer/Blade Runner future of ultra-dense living.
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1057
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Any building can be targeted by terrorists so every skyscraper should be designed to withstand terrorist attacks like 9/11.
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1058
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

I don't believe this one will ever rise...
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #1059
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
I would like to see them use their building method to build a supertall (but not megatall) with a very wide girth. Their method seems very suited to something like that. Like a 400m+ building with the width of 3x3 1WTC's. The stuff they brag about concerning air purity and sustainable energy use are exactly what such a building would call for.

I support anything that will speed us toward a Neuromancer/Blade Runner future of ultra-dense living.
But that's just not gonna catch media attention, their speed is already known, without the height factor, what can they brag about now? Building the world's largest commie block?
Old December 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #1060
DJaCoNdA
Staring at the World

Likes (Received): 141

Too many like "kids" around here writing nonsense. Mods should check next time for the information before closing this thread for no reason.

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city