daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #1381
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO-TOKYO View Post
The way these pre fabricated buildings are being made, could they ever actually build different shaped buildings in the future, or just boxes?
Sure they can. I'm still waiting for a project announcement utilizing a bundled tube system comprised of triangular or hexagonal prisms (most ideal shapes along with rectangular). The Burj Khalifa had a hexagonal core, and if it's primary goal wasn't stomping Taipei 101's height (which it did very well ), a hexagonal bundled tube system would have been the wisest since the tube system is the strongest system available thus far. Expansion on Khan's idea for the Sears is inevitable, and we should see many more using it in the future. Ping An is currently utilizing the system in a 3x3 grid like Sears, yet with today's technology, whereas Sears' construction methods were a bit dated compared to the WTC's in the '70s. 4x4 grids will be the next big thing, and will be used very soon for mega projects like this one. Just because materials are prefabricated now doesn't mean they must be put together in relatively simple shapes.

NEO-TOKYO, Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1382
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

New version of my model with corrected height, and including spire:

(click for larger)
Regarding the floor count (202), Maybe the new design just has a few less floors than the previous version.
If you go to the first page, you will see the older version, which has some small floors on the top which this one doesn't have, so I think the new floor count is 202 floors.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1383
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO-TOKYO View Post
The way these pre fabricated buildings are being made, could they ever actually build different shaped buildings in the future, or just boxes?
By now it's only a technology in proof, that's why I don't complain about the simple design of this tower, because it's just like a prototype, I guess if it succeses, this technology will evolve and become more complex and flexible.
This technology is yet in this stage:

We don't know yet how it will evolve, but you've already know how the picture above evolved, so everything is possible.

KillerZavatar, vfG, HRP4Life, Highcliff liked this post
Victhor no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1384
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

no cable anymore, yet still bulky
well just imagine in 100 years sky city is as iconic as the ESB now, a man can dream

Highcliff liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1385
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

I doubt it will be. Kingdom Tower will surpass it within a few years. Now, what lies beyond that horizon is something unbeknownst that only time will reveal.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1386
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I also heard that they are going forward. A friend working on the steel industry, told me that their office in China will supply them the high-strength steel for the construction.
I can cheat you blind.

KillerZavatar, China Hand, Highcliff liked this post
AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1387
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Great to here, but what happened with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Design issues and wind dynamics (discussed before) aside, you just can't build such tall tower with pre-fab alone. The building must have a solid central core to support the load, and that has to be constructed on site.

The fastest reinforced concrete core level progressing so far has been in a 3 days cycle, so that alone would require in a a ideal hypothetical situation, a minimum of 660 days.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1388
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Will see
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1389
phead128

Likes (Received): 3

Changsha is a mid-sized provincial city?

Changsha's 7 million people is NOT mid-sized, that's like on the order of NYC, 2X Los Angeles, and 3X Chicagos.
phead128 no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #1390
mitchelljb

Likes (Received): 139

Wow phead128. Think your stats are a little out there.
mitchelljb no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #1391
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljb View Post
Wow phead128. Think your stats are a little out there.
Not really. Chinese cities are dense and also have very large footprints. There are dozens of cities and metro areas that have 5+ million people.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #1392
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
If you go to the first page, you will see the older version, which has some small floors on the top which this one doesn't have, so I think the new floor count is 202 floors.
That could be the real vanity goal - first to 200+ floors.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1393
windowsofthe

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
New version of my model with corrected height, and including spire:

(click for larger)
Regarding the floor count (202), Maybe the new design just has a few less floors than the previous version.
Amazing.
Can you add more buildings to this comparison?
windowsofthe no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #1394
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Zhang doesn't plan on stopping at 202 stories, either. He has a vision of a structure three times that size. What are the odds this 636-story building ever breaks ground? Terril Yue Jones asked him. His response:

"One hundred percent! Some say that it’s sensationalism to construct such a tall building. That’s not so. Land shortages are already a grave problem. There’s also the very serious transportation issue. We must bring cities together and stretch for the sky in order to save cities and save the Earth. We must eliminate most traffic, traffic that has no value! And we must reduce our dependency on roads and transportation."
So, is Zhang about to be the 21st-century reincarnation of Le Corbusier, advocating revolutionary densities and self-contained super-blocks but with a transit-oriented perspective colored by climate change?

--

I wonder, will we see this in our lifetime? Or perphaps 600+ floors is as common as 80+ floors is now when I'm 70. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us

HRP4Life, windowsofthe, NEO-TOKYO liked this post
Atmosphere no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #1395
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think we'll definitely gonna see such a building in our life time. Technological progress gets faster each year and has reached unprecedented levels. Also, he has very good points which hint that skyscrapers might start playing a much wider role than what we currently see once land for growing food and fossil fuel will drop to alarming levels

Kanto no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1396
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsofthe View Post
Amazing.
Can you add more buildings to this comparison?
I will eventually, but not now. My brother is currently borrowing most of my RAM, so if I add any more buildings, my computer might crash!
Also, I should probably be doing some study for uni.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya

MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1397
mitchelljb

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Not really. Chinese cities are dense and also have very large footprints. There are dozens of cities and metro areas that have 5+ million people.
My point was that the figures for US cities were hopelessly inadequate. Metro areas are much bigger than stated there.
mitchelljb no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1398
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
no cable anymore, yet still bulky
well just imagine in 100 years sky city is as iconic as the ESB now, a man can dream
Well, the Chrysler Building had the same thing, it was the wtb for a very short time but it's still iconic because it's still considered beautiful, I have to see if that happens with this building.

tim1807 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1399
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by phead128 View Post
Changsha is a mid-sized provincial city?

Changsha's 7 million people is NOT mid-sized, that's like on the order of NYC, 2X Los Angeles, and 3X Chicagos.
From Demographia... articule below.
Los Angeles v. Changsha: Getting the Population Comparison Wrong

Thank you for the reference on the ghost cities fairy stories. A correction is in order, though. Changsha is nothing like twice the size of Los Angeles. This assumption comes from a misunderstanding of the difference between western terms and Chinese terms as translated into English. The term "city" is commonly used in English to denote the Chinese term "shi," which is a large region, formerly called a prefecture (and far larger than any western conception of a city). Within that region there are rural counties and urban counties (qu), the latter of which are roughly comparable to a metropolitan area. Within the urban qu is the area of continuous urban development, or the urban area. Prefectures ("shi" or city") virtually ALWAYS have large rural populations."

The error in the article comes from comparing the population of the city of Los Angeles (3.8 million) to the "city" of Changsha (7.0 million). But these are radically different concepts for which the same term (city or shi) is used. The city of Los Angeles is a municipality that represents less than one-third of the population of the Los Angeles metropolitan area or the Los Angeles urban area. The city of Changsha is a region that extends far beyond the metropolitan area or urban area of Changsha. Thus, when comparable geographical constructs are used, Los Angeles is four times the size of Changsha (metropolitan area or urban area).

Here are the data on comparable areas…

Changsha (2010 census based)

"Shi" or "city" (formerly called prefecture): 7.0 million

Metropolitan area (urban qu): 3.1 million

Urban area (continuous urbanization): 3.0 million

Central municipality: No comparable area

Los Angeles

"Shi" or "city" (formerly called prefecture): No comparable area

Metropolitan area (Los Angeles and Orange Counties): 12.8 million

Urban area (continuous urbanization): 12.2

Central municipality (City of Los Angeles): 3.8 million.

For further information:

Demographia World Urban Areas (http://demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf)

Rental Car Tour of Changsha (http://www.rentalcartours.net/rac-changsha.pdf)

Fastest growing metropolitan areas of China (http://www.newgeography.com/content/...growth-centers)

patrykus liked this post
CITYofDREAMS no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1400
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Now that was offtopic.. but very interesting. So I guess we can't take seriously any population comparisons between chinese and western cities.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city