daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1421
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Any word on pilings or foundation work?
China Hand no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1422
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post

The fastest reinforced concrete core level progressing so far has been in a 3 days cycle, so that alone would require in a a ideal hypothetical situation, a minimum of 660 days.
I am optimistic that techniques and materials have improved in erecting steel structured supertalls since the WTC and 'Sears' Tower.

Kanto, HRP4Life liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1423
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post

I am optimistic that techniques and materials have improved in erecting steel structured supertalls since the WTC and 'Sears' Tower.
Of course they have
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1424
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO-TOKYO View Post
The way these pre fabricated buildings are being made, could they ever actually build different shaped buildings in the future, or just boxes?

Anything is possible with prefab construction. But do note that the main selling point for this project is 'sustainability'.

For example, this could have been a good prefab candidate ...

By tiger1018

Imagine clusters of 'Sky Cities' linked by a sustainable mode of public transportation such as a suspended monorail system.

Kanto, Chrissib, HRP4Life, Highcliff, NEO-TOKYO liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1425
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
concrete =/= steel ... unless you are saying that the building could be build with a steel core.

Regardless, I stay put to the idea that the building must have a solid central core to stand up. Prefab elements do not provide structural strength.
I can cheat you blind.

Highcliff liked this post
AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1426
XGADGET

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
Anything is possible with prefab construction. But do note that the main selling point for this project is 'sustainability'.

By tiger1018
I was trying to find this building - designed by BIG I believe. I completely agree, this design would be a perfect design for Sky City. It would have garnered much more support and recognition for the project if only the building design was "prettier".
XGADGET no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #1427
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The real Sky City looks far better than that modelled building

Kanto no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1428
PMadFlyer

Quote:
concrete =/= steel ... unless you are saying that the building could be build with a steel core.

Regardless, I stay put to the idea that the building must have a solid central core to stand up. Prefab elements do not provide structural strength.
We still have to remember that it has been done before. The Twin Tower's exteriors were prefabricated in sections 2.5 stories tall and three columns wide and bolted together in the field as were the prefabricated floor panels. And the steel structured core allowed tenant space within the core.
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1429
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGADGET View Post
I was trying to find this building - designed by BIG I believe. I completely agree, this design would be a perfect design for Sky City. It would have garnered much more support and recognition for the project if only the building design was "prettier".
that building you quoted is called Rose Rock IFC in Tianjin, if you still search it.

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #1430
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
We still have to remember that it has been done before. The Twin Tower's exteriors were prefabricated in sections 2.5 stories tall and three columns wide and bolted together in the field as were the prefabricated floor panels. And the steel structured core allowed tenant space within the core.
But still they had a core ..... although, this building is twice as tall, plus, wasn't the hollow metal core blamed in part for the collapse?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #1431
PMadFlyer

Quote:
But still they had a core ..... although, this building is twice as tall, plus, wasn't the hollow metal core blamed in part for the collapse?
The core stood briefly after the rest of the tower collapsed around it. I've seen multiple videos and pictures of this in researching for images of 1WTC's spire. The cores had almost no shear strength and so they are seen crumbling after the rest of the structure is gone. I'm not into the whole conspiracy BS and I don't want to start an off topic conversation, but here are some pictures of the core standing alone, albeit briefly.

I apologize for posting controversial images, but these are the only example of this.
As for the core being the cause of failure more so than the exterior, I lean more towards a universal load path failure. This tower seems to have far more in common with the Willis tower though.

KillerZavatar, Highcliff liked this post
PMadFlyer no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1432
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

The WTC buildings had an outer tube and a core that were only connected by the floor trusses, which really contributed to the catastrophic failure. The way I understand it, because the floors themselves were part of the structure, once the floors started collapsing, the rest of the structure failed as well, and because the floors were sort of separate, some of the vertical structure survived (core in one tower, some of the outer tube in the other one)
Of course, a major contributing factor to the collapse of the WTC buildings was the aircraft impacts, causing substantial structural damage, and also starting fires on multiple floors at the same time.

From what I have seen so far, Sky City has a grid structure of structural steel with the floors inserted in between, so the floors aren't actually part of the structure holding the building together. This should hopefully mean that it would be impossible for the building to fail catastrophically like in the WTC buildings.
Not really a nice subject to discuss.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #1433
SergioCrash
Trujillo mítico y moderno

Likes (Received): 587

:O
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1434
windowsofthe

Likes (Received): 291

Stop it.
windowsofthe no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1435
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

9/11 made architects and builders rethink a lot of constructions and design and i think since then safety standards got a lot higher, even in chinese construction. Sky city took a long time to get approved, so i think and hope that during that time a lot of tests were done declaring the structure safe.
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #1436
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheTubaGuy View Post
From what I have seen so far, Sky City has a grid structure of structural steel with the floors inserted in between, so the floors aren't actually part of the structure holding the building together.
But would the assembling of this structure alone would require longer time then what they are saying? (and that's my main point)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1437
speedy1979

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post

By tiger1018

Imagine clusters of 'Sky Cities' linked by a sustainable mode of public transportation such as a suspended monorail system.

This is a bit off topic but how do you evacuate a suspended monorail? In NY a few years ago there was a problem with the tram that takes people to Roosevelt Island and it took a very long time to get people out.
speedy1979 está en línea ahora  
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1438
PMadFlyer

Quote:
But would the assembling of this structure alone would require longer time then what they are saying? (and that's my main point)
There are two major limiting factors that are troubling to me. One being wind and the other being hoist speed. They can't use ground based mobile cranes as they normally do and will be forced to wait several minutes between lifts. I almost wonder if the "street" will literally be used as a street for trucks and light mobile cranes in a constant train. If that were the case then this could revolutionize mega tall construction. No more waiting between lifts or wondering if the wind will delay the delivery of materials. I guess if my train idea is implemented, floor and exterior sections could be held on existing floors if the wind is too high to lift them into place. All of this would lower the number of delays. The single main limiting factor then is wind.
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #1439
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
I just found a video that I believe has not been posted here before. It has 3D renderings of the tower and its interior, with typical Chinese subtlety :P

LMAO

I love how they used music from the movies 2012 and Transformers.

I also love how when they show the destruction of the Earth, all footage is of western civilization or Japan and they even threw in footage from the movie 2012 for good measure.
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:46 AM   #1440
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
There are two major limiting factors that are troubling to me. One being wind and the other being hoist speed. They can't use ground based mobile cranes as they normally do and will be forced to wait several minutes between lifts. I almost wonder if the "street" will literally be used as a street for trucks and light mobile cranes in a constant train. If that were the case then this could revolutionize mega tall construction. No more waiting between lifts or wondering if the wind will delay the delivery of materials. I guess if my train idea is implemented, floor and exterior sections could be held on existing floors if the wind is too high to lift them into place. All of this would lower the number of delays. The single main limiting factor then is wind.
One possibility is that they leave the two column-less squares empty until they reach the last section where it stops, and lift the parts up through the middle where it would be sheltered, either using cranes, or a temporary lift.
After they reach the last section, they would use exterior lifting to fill in the floors inside, then finish the top 32 floors and the spire. That would probably mean that the last 32 floors would be slower than the rest, but by that time, they could probably start opening the lower floors, so it wouldn't be crucial to finish as quickly as possible.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city