daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1761
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

http://www.ecns.cn/2013/07-26/74808.shtml

The property developer behind plans for the world's tallest skyscraper, to be built in Changsha, Hunan province, said on Thursday that the project is still awaiting final approval from government authorities.

"So far, the project has already received some qualified assessment results, such as the construction plan and possible wind effects on the building," said Zhu Linfang, spokesman for Broad Group, the Changsha-based project developer.

Each step in the construction process must gain authorities' approval before it can be taken, she said.

The statement from Broad Group comes after a Xinhua News A[/U]gency report that said the company had not completed all the necessary application procedures before it started construction. The Xinhua report claimed the company was acting illegally.

The building, named Sky City, attracted media attention when its construction plan was published last year. If built, it will stand at more than 838 meters, higher than the 828-meter-tall Burj Khalifa in Dubai, currently the world's tallest building.

According to Broad Group's website, the tower in Changsha will have 4,450 apartments between the 16th and 170th floors and will include offices, a hotel, kindergarten, school, hospital, shops, gym and restaurants. The cost of construction is estimated at 9 billion yuan ($1.47 billion).

On Saturday, the company held a groundbreaking ceremony at the construction site in Wangcheng district, about 20 kilometers from downtown Changsha.

"It was only a ceremony. It does not mean the project is under construction," Zhu said.

So far, the company has been making preparations for work to begin, such as clearing rubbish from the construction site, but has not started building, she said.

The construction period is planned to run from October to April 2014, according to the company's website.

Xu Ning, an official in charge of urban-rural planning in Wangcheng district, declined to comment on the groundbreaking ceremony, but said, "The building is a key project for the city, and government authorities will release detailed information in the near future, after investigations."

Feng Yigang, head of Changsha's urban-rural planning bureau, said that the company has not yet received all the necessary approvals from government authorities. So far, his office had received no paperwork from Broad Group, he said.

On Thursday, about eight digging machines worked on the project's construction site.

"I began to work here this morning and my major task is to dig foundations for the building," said a worker who declined to give his name.

Wang Youwei, former vice-president of the China Academy of Building Research, said, "Some landmarks, including skyscrapers, are needed in China, especially in big cities, to show their economic achievement."

Chinese cities have a zest for skyscrapers. By the end of 2012, China had 10 of the world's 20 tallest skyscrapers, and more are planned, some aimed at grabbing the title of China's tallest.

Last year, soon after Wuhan said it would add 30 meters to a planned 606-meter building in order to make it the tallest, the developer of a skyscraper in Shenzhen announced that it would build a 660-meter tower. The record was soon trumped by another developer, which said it had started to select the location for a 700-meter skyscraper in Qingdao.

Wang said cities should be cautious in building skyscrapers, bearing in mind safety factors and energy consumption.

pteranodon liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1762
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahemah View Post
Looks a whole lot busier than Kingdom Tower construction site
Kt won't have underground floors so they don't need to excavate much there (if at all). The other thing is there is nothing around the location where it is being build so the site looks even more remote than this one.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1763
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

You forgot a very basic fact: KT's construction site is naturally flat, this one isn't, and therefore needs to be leveled before anything can start
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1764
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Seems you forgot those bulldozers at kingdom city site. It has been leveled too. Just much earlier.

Those excavators primary task is different though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
"I began to work here this morning and my major task is to dig foundations for the building," said a worker who declined to give his name.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #1765
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

This is like the baofahu of skyscrapers.

I can so relate this to these newly riches in China blindly and tastelessly buying LV and Hermes.
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #1766
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
This is like the baofahu of skyscrapers.

I can so relate this to these newly riches in China blindly and tastelessly buying LV and Hermes.
Well it's neither luxurious nor flashy, so I don't see the similarities.

patrykus liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1767
fgvfc58

Likes (Received): 740

by yb0301

by liujiebing

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1768
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3403

If they really build it i have to go to a noname City in the middle of nowhere

Tom_Green no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1769
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

Still working on full speed, let's hope they'll get their permits soon!
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1770
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
If they really build it i have to go to a noname City in the middle of nowhere
it is not a noname city in the middle of nowhere, but anyways if they build it in the time they promised you might aswell just wait another couple of years and more of these projects will have been finished in other cities anyway

Kanto liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1771
jogiba

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
it is not a noname city in the middle of nowhere, but anyways if they build it in the time they promised you might aswell just wait another couple of years and more of these projects will have been finished in other cities anyway
Changsha has more than three times the population ( 7 million vs 2 million ) of Dubai.
jogiba no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1772
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

the population is not always the reason why people know it. i guess more people know Dubai than Changsha . but it wouldn't call Changsha a noname city
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1773
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3403

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
but it wouldn't call Changsha a noname city
I know 12 cities in China that i would like to visit before going to Changsha.
So for me Changsha is a noname City in the middle of nowhere. The next more intersting City is 300km away (Wuhan)
The City don`t even has a completed subway line.

Last edited by Tom_Green; July 29th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Tom_Green no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1774
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

300km is not a big distance. i have travelled that before just to see a skyscraper and in china you can do it by fast train and don't have to do it with a bus as i had to from singapore to kuala lumpur (x
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1775
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
I know 12 cities in China that i would like to visit before going to Changsha.
So for me Changsha is a noname City in the middle of nowhere. The next more intersting City is 300km away (Wuhan)
The City don`t even has a completed subway line.
San Francisco doesn't have a subway line neither But I get what you meant, most Chinese cities are considered no name to foreigners, I'm actually surprised you can name 12.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1776
Gwellbeing
Global Wellbeing

Likes (Received): 82

Broad Sustainable Building (BSB) has setup factories in the major zones of China and has build their traditional several instantly built prefabricated towers.
http://inequalityreduced.blogspot.co...abricated.html

Ningxia

Fujian
Gwellbeing no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #1777
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

A boxy and ugly skyscraper isn't for me a good reason to visit a city. There are loads of cities more interesting than Changsha. Paying a travel to visit a skyscraper its stupid.
For this reason I hardly think Changsha will be attractive for tourists.

Also, the population of a city isn't a reason for a city to be better than other. There are horrible and poor cities that have got more than 10 million habitants. I know a lot of people that know Dubai and want to visit it, but any people I know (personally) knows Changsha. Dubai has got lots of activities to do, and its in the top 10 of most visited cities of the world.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1778
imagineer100

Likes (Received): 14

I'd like to go to Changsha more for the fact I was born there and have never visited, but this tower looks great!
imagineer100 no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #1779
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

most chinese dislike tall buildings as far as i have heard so tourism to the tallest box in the world indeed will not just come. for me tall buildings are one of the major factors of travelling, just like other people want to see ancient temples, the great wall or other tourist attractions. but this building does not want to be a tourist attraction anyways, it tries to solve a purpose and make the company famous, bring the technology to the ears of investors in china and behind the borders. if this building wasn't the tallest, news might have not reached europe for example, but when this gets build a lot of people will know the company and thats a big selling point.

TowerVerre:), Zhmurik, Kanto liked this post
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1780
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

^It's not a so-called 'box' if it has setbacks like this. It's like calling Sears Tower a 'box.' It's no such thing. Even so, a (quote/unquote) "box" would be so much better than the current design.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city