daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1781
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

This will be smt to watch. They HAVE to set up some webcams!!!!
foxmulder no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1782
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
If they really build it i have to go to a noname City in the middle of nowhere
Changsha is no located in the middle of nowhere, it's located in one of the most densly populated places on earth. These cities like Changsha are literally surrounded by a sea of humanity. Even the countryside has tens of millions of people. In places it seems like an endless wave.

Most countries tend to have a couple of large cities some smaller ones then lightly popuated countryside. China has 116 cities with around a million more than 220 cities with more than 500.000 and 47.5% of its population of 1.384 billion living in the countryside that's another 650 million or so.

When you wake up every morning looking at that the feeling of isolation that comes from being in the middle of nowhere is usually the last thing that comes to mind.

Zhmurik liked this post
kunming tiger no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #1783
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
A boxy and ugly skyscraper isn't for me a good reason to visit a city. There are loads of cities more interesting than Changsha. Paying a travel to visit a skyscraper its stupid.
For this reason I hardly think Changsha will be attractive for tourists.

Also, the population of a city isn't a reason for a city to be better than other. There are horrible and poor cities that have got more than 10 million habitants. I know a lot of people that know Dubai and want to visit it, but any people I know (personally) knows Changsha. Dubai has got lots of activities to do, and its in the top 10 of most visited cities of the world.
I remember stopping over in Dubai decades ago there really wasn't much there at the time. When I came back I tried to explain to people where it was and they simply rolled their eyes and asked me why go there there's nothing except sand and camels? People are not saying the same things about Dubai now. What makes a city great are the ambitions of its people, its business community and government.

Will Changsha be the next Dubai? It's highly unlikely for reasons too many to list here. If this project is a success expect it to start a trend and expect some serious competition for the mantle of the world's tallest building.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
kunming tiger no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1784
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Can you point at some map of exactly where Sky City is relative to Changsha South high speed railway station and the stations of Changsha Metro Line 1?

In which month shall Changsha Metro line 1 open for passenger service? Can you get from Beijing or Shenzhen to Sky City by one connection (high speed railway, then metro arriving to Sky City)?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1785
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwellbeing View Post
Fujian
Topout Ceremony?! That's like what, a week after the ground breaking ceremony?
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:03 AM   #1786
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Topout Ceremony?! That's like what, a week after the ground breaking ceremony?

I think for something simple like in the picture, they have the ground breaking ceremony in the morning and the topping out ceremony in the evening

Seriously though, in that picture, it looks like scaffolding put together. And does anyone see anything that resembles a core? I guess I'll have to see the finished product but honestly I'm not so sure I would want to be in that building over 800m up. Perhaps it will be completely different construction for something more then 10 stories high.....at least I hope it will be different
4npower no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM   #1787
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
I think for something simple like in the picture, they have the ground breaking ceremony in the morning and the topping out ceremony in the evening

Seriously though, in that picture, it looks like scaffolding put together. And does anyone see anything that resembles a core? I guess I'll have to see the finished product but honestly I'm not so sure I would want to be in that building over 800m up. Perhaps it will be completely different construction for something more then 10 stories high.....at least I hope it will be different
Well, yes, of course . That's why the design took so long to be revised because the typical double-Y frames couldn't presumably handle the forces involved - even when combined together - at the heights of Sky City.

If you go back to any of their preview / marketing videos in the thread, you'll see they're using far more robust I beam and typical tree-like elements for the frame construction.

I thought there was also rumor that the tower would have a damper but not sure if that was ever confirmed or denied. Anyway I suppose the new structure has been received well enough that they've gotten this far to start construction. But no, from the limited info about the new form that exists out there from what I can tell, there's no traditonal core. Just many closely-spaced columns that seem to combine the best traditional steel-only reinforcement. Think Empire State frame (or old WTC outer walls) but Sears (Willis) Boxed Tube, both combined into one. It would seem then that the whole building acts as the core.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by The-Real-Link; July 31st, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1788
sonicmegamix

Likes (Received): 1

For information about Sky City floor plan yet for?
sonicmegamix no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:52 AM   #1789
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

Was going to post some screenshots for 4npower but my hosting service was upgrading earlier. All good now.

The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1790
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Was going to post some screenshots for 4npower but my hosting service was upgrading earlier. All good now.
Is that the 100 floors tower in these pictures?
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1791
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

That's the tower we've seen on the video on march 2013 or something. Weird thing is nobody ever cleared up what this really is or how tall it is.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1792
patrykus

Btw sorry for bumping but I wanted people to notice. I looked back into the thread and it seems the building is present on those two slides. Can someone translate/comment?

[IMG]http://i44.************/zlzzx1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/2cfplbs.jpg[/IMG]

and this is the video posted in march

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1793
Evrasia 99911
Оленятинка!

Likes (Received): 36513

Looks ugly, but i like it.
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1794
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Is it U/C yet? According to wikipedia, it already is.

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1795
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Wikipedia is editable by just about anyone, my younger friend .

* Hence trust Wikipedia w/ a pinch of salt .
bozenBDJ no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1796
G.A.M.E.R
My First SSC Anniversary!

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
Yes, I think that building is U/C. But SkyscraperPage still says proposed
1007m Kingdom Tower, JEDDAH
1001m Burj Mubarak al-Kabir, MADINAT AL-HAREER
838m Sky City, CHANGSHA
638m Signature Tower, JAKARTA

Last edited by G.A.M.E.R; July 31st, 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Wrong words
G.A.M.E.R no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1797
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkYsCrApEr2013 View Post
Nope, it's still under preparations. There's no way they could dig a huge foundation in just a week.
Kanto no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1798
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.A.M.E.R View Post
Yes, I think that building is U/C. But SkyscraperPage still says proposed
the 838m tower is not U/C yet.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1799
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Btw sorry for bumping but I wanted people to notice. I looked back into the thread and it seems the building is present on those two slides. Can someone translate/comment?
seems to be unrelated to the pictures. the information is about skycity. first sentence already tells that normally a building needs 5-10 years until it is completed, skycity will be completed in just 7 months. last sentences on the first slide talk about 20.000 and 3.000 workers working on the building for 4 and 3 months which adds up to the 7 months, so it all is about skycity. second slide seems to be mentioning skyscraper history, seeing that eiffel tower is seen and the text speaks about 100 years of time, but i don't understand much at all since my chinese isn't that well so no idea really.

patrykus, G.A.M.E.R, pteranodon liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1800
patrykus

Yeah, I was expecting that much. But you never know, especially me. 上海 is the only thing I understand in Chinese

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city