daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1881
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Probably the same thing they do with parking garages. For carbon monoxide, I think they'll have some sort of vent.

No disrespect man, but how many 100+ story parking garages do you know of that are surrounded by residential apartments 600m above the ground? Also, lets say that only half of the residents will own cars, they would need jet engines to clear all the CM out of the tower. This is going to be pretty crazy I must admit.
4npower no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #1882
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

cars in a tower i only heard one time before about and that never got built haha

sgollis, pteranodon, æthær, the dogi liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1883
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

Quite a few were built, there's a 30-story condo in Singapore's Scotts Rd where each apt has car garage on its own floor in front of the door, keeping the (I assume luxury) cars up to 30 sotreys in the sky...

TowerVerre:) liked this post
NNshenzhen no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #1884
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNshenzhen View Post
Quite a few were built, there's a 30-story condo in Singapore's Scotts Rd where each apt has car garage on its own floor in front of the door, keeping the (I assume luxury) cars up to 30 sotreys in the sky...

That's a completely different ball game my friend. First, it's only 30 stories high and second, you can't drive the cars up to your floor. They are brought up in a "glass garage" via a elevator. I remember seeing it on tv and it is indeed a pretty bad-ass set-up

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/si...o-park-cars-in

pteranodon, TowerVerre:) liked this post
4npower no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #1885
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
I know it sounds ludicrous,but it seems like thats how it works. Apparently this "skystreet" will be over 10 km long.
Notice the text that says that car traffic can go to the 170th floor ,thats 612m above ground

© Broad Sustainable Building
Funny, how I read the information it says that it's a pedestrian street to the 170th floor, it makes no mention of car traffic!
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #1886
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Funny, how I read the information it says that it's a pedestrian street to the 170th floor, it makes no mention of car traffic!

That's what I thought at first as well(I'm still a skeptic). Look at the bottom right of the building diagram picture where it says "sky street" and read the tiny print. "10km long street rec...170th floor which allows car driving"
But yes in the description it says "A walking street 10km long connects from the first floor to the 170th floor"

pteranodon liked this post

Last edited by 4npower; August 10th, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
4npower no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #1887
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I see "allows car driving" in the small print but also cars are much smaller there than in the US (or so when I was in Malaysia was any exception). If they allow cars of any type I'd imagine more akin to golf carts or light vehicles / mopeds, not enclosed traditional cars.

Or perhaps it just was lost in translation. I'd imagine for that street to work it'd be foot-traffic only. Just guessing that it's called the street since it's well, where people wak and mingle; not necessarily a literal street filled with traffic. The carbon monoxide hassle alone would make that a nightmare to engineer. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think any other building exists where something like this is done - except for the previously mentioned automated garages, and certainly to not such height.

The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1888
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

The ramps are ~7.8 3.9m wide ( I think they were referring to the size).

But why would anyone want to drive there!

treehugger.com

treehugger.com

treehugger.com

pteranodon, the dogi liked this post

Last edited by skyridgeline; August 10th, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Ramp size correction (is ~ 3.9m).
skyridgeline no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #1889
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

someone who is a native chinese shall look what the original text says. probably it is just like "which would allow for car driving" as in it would even be big enough for that
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1890
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgvfc58 View Post
by potuhuang1
Those are either test pilings or foundation pilings being driven.

I cautiously comment that this appears to be 'real'.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1891
jogiba

Likes (Received): 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
cars in a tower i only heard one time before about and that never got built haha

They show the Empire State Building as 1,100 ft but it was 1,250ft back then before the 203 ft (62 m) antenna was added.
jogiba no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1892
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

That last picture that skyridgeline posted, was that a prefabricated piece of the tower?
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #1893
zerghunter

Likes (Received): 2

It's a picture of the 10 story (I think) test version when it was under construction. It's the only picture I've seen of what the ramp is supposed to look like.

EDIT: Actually it must be an earlier version of the sky street, because that looks like it's 15m wide rather than 3.9m.
zerghunter no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1894
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
No disrespect man, but how many 100+ story parking garages do you know of that are surrounded by residential apartments 600m above the ground? Also, lets say that only half of the residents will own cars, they would need jet engines to clear all the CM out of the tower. This is going to be pretty crazy I must admit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Probably the same thing they do with parking garages. For carbon monoxide, I think they'll have some sort of vent.
It's a good thing that Broad Group is also good at building state of the art air purifiers, doncha think?
scalziand no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #1895
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
They show the Empire State Building as 1,100 ft but it was 1,250ft back then before the 203 ft (62 m) antenna was added.
Plus they've got Eiffel at 984 instead of 986.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1896
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
someone who is a native chinese shall look what the original text says. probably it is just like "which would allow for car driving" as in it would even be big enough for that
Original text is:"10公里步行街(可行使轿车)从1层直抵170层."

Which directly translates to:"10km of pedestrian street (capable of driving cars) from first floor to the 170th floor."

So like I have mentioned before it's a pedestrian ramp only it's designed to be wide and strong enough to support vehicles.

hmmwv no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1897
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2027

Or maybe it's a street for pedestrians who are capable of driving cars? In other words: you have to have a driver's license to walk up there?

Alargule no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1898
jason102

Likes (Received): 45

I don't know about you guys, but driving a car going around and around and around a gazillion times to reach the 170th floor doesn't sound fun - it sounds dizzying... Especially if there won't be many windows (it'll all be grey walls unless he plans to give the interior a crazy paint job).

I'm pretty sure they'll restrict it to pedestrian use, but some businesses and maintenance personnel will probably be able to use it for moving heavy/big things that require vehicles. They'll probably have some approval process for driving on it.
jason102 no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1899
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

maybe they have some mini electric service cars for one person each could have like a rental there, since it will feature jobs as well as residential space many people might use some kind of way to transport stuff easily up and down the building
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1900
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

"Mom, can i've the car? Want to drive down to my buddy in the 151st."
ZZ-II no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city