daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1921
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
What ??
2 Km of footprint ? or numerous 800+ constructed in 2 square Kilometers , in the two cases , it's just absurd ...
With two proportional towers where one's twice the height of the other, the taller has eightfold the floor space.

Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1922
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

buildings with extremely large footprints often makes for poor residential towers though.
Who would want to live in the middle of the building where there is no view or natural sunlight.
I think residential population would scale a bit different even if the taller building would have 8 times the floor space,or am I completely wrong in that assumption? I'm no expert
lowenmeister no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1923
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

You're right. With building residential towers, to build much over 2,000 feet, you have to use different footprints, like an X, to get it more stable yet with plenty of apartment windows. I hope that makes sense.

lowenmeister, sgollis, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1924
lowenmeister

That would explain why they scrapped the old design too,thanks for clearing that up

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1925
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

No problem.

pteranodon, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1926
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Do they have skateboards in China? I'm assuming they do, you mention the rundown that ramp!
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1927
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Do they have skateboards in China? I'm assuming they do, you mention the rundown that ramp!
They make most of them, so I'd assume so. I'd imagine this would make an awesome race - like the race they used to do up the BT Tower's staircase in London.
Retro Specs no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #1928
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
We don't improove the quality of life with building Megatalls in nowhere my friend !!
How do you figure? All commuting time is via elevator if you place a town of 30k into one tall building. Only goods in/out and travel to another place would require emissions. This could/would make the environment much cleaner at the expense of everyone in one place and under surveillance with chokepoints on the exits.
China Hand no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1929
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

As the videos show too, pollution can take many forms. The tower might be helpful to house many people and reduce waste, etc., but mainly I thought the goal was to reduce land use at the same time.

The tower may still need tons of energy to run and cool it but Broad has specialty in air conditioning before this. It'd probably still need less resources overall than the equivalent # of individual residential homes (a given).
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1930
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

I imagine that with the amount of insulation going into this tower, the climate control will set records for energy use. This tower also has the advantage of less glass to begin with. I believe that the biggest issue this tower would face in every day life would be food transport up and down the tower to the restaurants and schools. I don't think any thing like this has been done before with three meals a day, they would need food shipments constantly unless they had a warehouse.
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1931
lowenmeister

I wonder how they will solve the water problem.How will they be able to pump water 700m+ into the sky for 30 000 people.
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1932
Kaiser Ferdinand

Likes (Received): 1801

Update by yb0301 from http://www.gaoloumi.com/

Last edited by Kaiser Ferdinand; August 15th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Kaiser Ferdinand no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1933
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

currently the most controversal, yet also most interesting project to see unfold for me. great that we have regular updates on this one, always makes me excited to see them

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1934
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

semi related news: http://ctbuh.org/Events/CTBUHRelated...S/Default.aspx (not about the building, but about another building that seems to have inheritated the building style, which indeed is more signs for this being the start of something big in the future)

KillerZavatar no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1935
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6881

Whoa. That hole is getting substantial really quick.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #1936
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6881

BarbaricManchurian no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1937
Kaiser Ferdinand

Likes (Received): 1801

All the drilling machines do not work ... I do not see any progress in the last week.
Kaiser Ferdinand no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1938
Amastroi2017
The Power Of Roof Height

Likes (Received): 112

So I measured on Google Earth and from Sky City to The Wharf IFC complex in downtown Changsha it is approximately 9.5 miles.

I wonder on a clear day if people high up in both towers will be able to see the other building.

Amastroi2017 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #1939
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...556647&page=21

China is known to build Tall Towers away from all the other Towers.
CrazyDave no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1940
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Ok , I can understand this need of new infrastructures , news cities to not let people coming from the rural areas , you said that they build hight construction surrounded by nithing for the quality of life , and I find that hilarious ! Is it natural to build a 800+ building ? Is it nature friendly to raze forests for building awfull residential blocks ?
And the smog everywhere in Big and Mid Sized Cities doesn't hae impact in the quality of life that you're talking about I wonder ...
We don't improove the quality of life with building Megatalls in nowhere my friend !

If China wants Iconic Cities to attract amazed Tourist from all the world , they should build this tower in densely built up areas , like Pudong for exemple , a Building with that height will be pretty Iconic there , despite of it shitty design , it will give a better impression than built surrounded by snakes and insects !
Building one 800m tall building in the middle of no-where is more natural than building hundreds, if not thousands of houses/apartment complexes. By putting everything into one building you reduce the need for people to get in their cars to do things. Less cars, less pollution. The design itself is pretty eco-friendly as well. The highly inefficient urban concept is what they are trying to break with this building. You build up so people can have space to farm and do other shit with the land. In terms of useability, airspace is far less valuable than land.
Rise To The Top no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
changsha, china, sky city