daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Forum Issues

Forum Issues For suggestions, feedback, questions and other business.

View Poll Results: Should there be a South of England Sub-forum?
YES 63 86.30%
NO 10 13.70%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 42

A South of England Subforum?

To cover Bristol, Reading, Cheltenham & Gloucester, Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Exeter and Plymouth. Basically everywhere south of Tewksbury which isnt London.

Currently these towns and cities are entirely forgotten, languishing in the forgotten 'Projects and Construction' forum. While places like Wales and the Noth East; areas with a fraction of the population and developments of the south, have sub forums of their own.

How about it?
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #2
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 188

The North East and Hull threads were getting large amount of posts and either the Newcastle or the Hull threads were at the top of the Projects and Construction Sub-Forum for a long time. They have now merged into a very successfull Sub-Forum with good quality posts.

If the South of England shows that it can have a similar impact then I see no reason for it to have it's own Sub-Forum, if not then I can't see any reason why it should be changed.

As I and others from the North East and Humberside found out, it's no use just creating a petition, you have to provide evidance of it's potential, gain support from members and mods.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

The way i see it is that as it stands contributions to the threads concerning Portsmouth, Bristol ect are not gonna grow because theyve been left in a now obsure part of the forum and are difficult to find.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
The way i see it is that as it stands contributions to the threads concerning Portsmouth, Bristol ect are not gonna grow because theyve been left in a now obsure part of the forum and are difficult to find.
Not really. We found out that when we gained our Sub-Forum we gained a lot of new members aswell. Also the Sunderland section of the Sub-Forum though not breaking any records in post counts started to get a lot of activity which we didn't expect to happen. Not only that but their is a thread on Newcastle's section that has gained over 100,000 views and has a hell of a lot of posts, being one of the most popular threads and this is a thread that we thought would only do reasonably well. Don't underestimate the amount of people who just look for now but would sign up if activity was easier or more popular.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #5
haxman
sober-absent-minded

Likes (Received): 3

Well, I was looking something about Plymouth or Reading and now I know why I could not find anything. Start the subforum quickly!
haxman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 338

If Bristol and Portsmouth go, then we really need to find a home for the remaining active threads in whats left of the P&C. Since Hull and Newcastle got moved, its just been left with a few stragglers and a lot of none threads. If two of the most active threads left (Bristol and Portsmouth), its effectively just Preston, Blackpool, Norwich, and Stoke.
Accura4Matalan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Accura4Matalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxman View Post
Well, I was looking something about Plymouth or Reading and now I know why I could not find anything. Start the subforum quickly!
Both have a thread in the depths of Projects and Construction:
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 820

Quote:
Indeed, this is a problem, I've read posts by forumers in the world forums in difficulty finding/didn't think there was a Bristol development thread and we even had a Bristolian member not even aware that there was such a thing! it's like having a shop down a narrow, out of the way alley and wondering why there's no customers!
Delirium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #9
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post
If Bristol and Portsmouth go, then we really need to find a home for the remaining active threads in whats left of the P&C. Since Hull and Newcastle got moved, its just been left with a few stragglers and a lot of none threads. If two of the most active threads left (Bristol and Portsmouth), its effectively just Preston, Blackpool, Norwich, and Stoke.
Preston and Blackpool could move into a North West Sub-Forum though. Stoke could move into a Midlands Sub-Forum, then only Norwich would be looking for a new home, East Midlands and East Anglea

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #10
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

I've never really understood why stoke wasn't in the Midlands SF.

If not a specifically south of England sub-forum, how about a sub forum for all the outstanding P&C towns and cities? At least then they would be a bit more accessible.

Something like:

Other regions
Bristol, Portsmouth and elsewhere
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
I've never really understood why stoke wasn't in the Midlands SF.

If not a specifically south of England sub-forum, how about a sub forum for all the outstanding P&C towns and cities? At least then they would be a bit more accessible.

Something like:

Other regions
Bristol, Portsmouth and elsewhere
That could be realistic option. The people you need to be speaking to though is Gothic and the other mods. you need them on your side first. Also you need to gain support from members of the other threads aswell.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #12
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 82

The UK forum should have been Structured on a regional basis (like the USA forum and others) from the start.

The cities that have always randomly been given the honour of subforums have developed a sense of superiority on the forum and won't relinquish it now - leaving big swathes of the country unrepresented and unable to discuss topics on more than one thread - which itself is hidden in P&C.
legolamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Leeds Troll
BANNED

but nothing even happens in them places apart from Portsmouth and Bristol and the odd news in brighton?
Leeds Troll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #14
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Reading has plans for a 117m and a 99m. Portsmouth has 2 or 3 100m in the pipeline. Brighton has a 130m on hold atm. Bristol has some impressive city centre office developments under construction and completed. Plymouth has some planed talls and some intresting uni developments. That's a whole lot more than is going on in Leeds atm.
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Leeds Troll
BANNED

there is a difference from under constrution and planned!! it's like me saying Leeds has 6bn pounds worth of developments waiting for the economy to pick up blowing the whole discussion away!!

Leeds Arena 80m [Under construction]

Trinity shopping centre 600m [Under construction]

Leeds rail station south entrance 15m [soon to be Under construction]

bankside! multi million pound investment [planned]

Wellington Place 2.7Million Sq ft 1.1bn [planned]

South banks multi billion pound investment [planned]

and thats only some of the developements!!
Leeds Troll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

That would hardly blow the discussion away. Either way its irrelevant. There is stuff going on ATM and there's lots of big stuff in the pipeline but we're left in the dark recesses of the P&C forum while other regions with less going on have been elevated to the sunlit uplands of a dedicated sub-forum.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Accura4Matalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Troll View Post
but nothing even happens in them places apart from Portsmouth and Bristol and the odd news in brighton?
Check your facts before making such sweeping statements. There is more going on in Preston at the moment than there ever was throughout the boom years. We are on the threshold of 2x14 and 1x18 storey building beginning construction. We also have several student accommodation plans coming up, a tramway beginning construction, a £700m mixed use development going through a public enquiry, a major retail development due to begin... maybe not enough to warrant a subforum, but certainly not nothing.
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #18
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 495

A 'South of England' sub-forum sounds like it could work very well.

One thing you should do though, to optimise its 'appeal' to members from all the various different areas of the South, is to STRUCTURE it properly.

To illustrate this, have a look at the "North East England" sub-forum.

When you first enter it, you will see it is then split into four further (internal) forums, which gives the members of a LARGE region (North East England) a sense of ownership, within their internal forums . . .

HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2254

This encourages people to strongly participate in "their own" forum (we have attracted many new posters since we were set up) where they have an interest in the area and a sense of belonging - while still enabling them to readily and easily (but not forcing them to) participate in the 'wider area' main forum.

As you can see, there is even a space for some shared (all-forum) threads, though (in our case in North East England) they are not widely used.

The structure that exists (as you have seen if you have followed the above link) is what was put in the Business Case to SSC Admin - see extract below . . .

Quote:

EXTRACT FROM NORTH EAST ENGLAND FORUM BUSINESS CASE:

What we propose is that the North East England Sub Forum (when you open it) will present you initially with something like another four mini-sub forums.

They, I have suggested, be titled . . .

NEWCASTLE METRO AREA
For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

SUNDERLAND & DURHAM
For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

TEESSIDE
For Middlesbrough, Stockton, N Yorks

HULL AND HUMBER
For Hull and East Riding

Finally, two points . .

(1) Every (regional) situation is different, but it is possible that a structure, like the above, can be devised for the 'South of England' that would be beneficial to your proposals, as it could be attractive to posters?

This could perhaps help your Business Case to SSC.

(2) Also, forumers requirements and preferences from different regions are different, so forumers from 'South of England' might not like (or want) a sub-forum structured like ours in North East England, that I have outlined above.

I have only posted this example structure to help develop your ideas, by providing you with possible options to consider and to (perhaps) aim for.

Regards, and good luck.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #19
Accura4Matalan

^Good post. IMO regional subforums are probably the way forward. There just isn't enough going on in individual cities anymore. Once busy forums such as Liverpool are dying a death, with discussion dominated by off topic subjects.
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #20
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 369

Newcastle Historian, they've (you've) done a great job with the North East sub-forum... don't think it's gone un-noticed! I even made a trip up to the north east because of the photography thread(s) in that section, and had a lovely day out.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote