daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

hkskyline's 2010 TAIPEI Photo Collection

I'm a regular visitor to Taipei and by now, I'm a bit tired of the typical tourist sites. So on this trip, I tried to venture out to seek exotic new places that may be of interest to locals rather than the average foreign visitor.

Located one stop away from Taipei main station on the high-speed railway line, the Taipei County Government Building in Banqiao has a free observation deck with a surprisingly good view. This location was mentioned in my guidebook which I had purchased on a prior visit to Taipei.

A lot of government departments are located in here.

The deck was surprisingly quiet, with barely any tourists around.

The view was spectacular on a clear day. This is the old city centre, with the Shin Kong Building being the centre

In this wider shot, you can see the new city centre in Xinyi, with Taipei 101.

Banqiao is located southwest of Taipei centre. The location was good enough not to be blocked by the rolling hills that surround the city, yet you can still see the river that flows out to Danshui and the ocean.

101 looks great as always!

This place is only 8 minutes from Taipei main station.

What the pictures didn't show was the absolutely insane heat outside. Taipei's summer temperatures soar to very uncomfortable levels. I endured a week of 38C temperatures. Even late at night, it's still 30C.

Songshan Airport is the dingy old domestic airport in the heart of Taipei. Now it serves flights to mainland China and I believe soon there will be connections to Korea and Japan. The old terminal still looks very retro though.

So now travellers have another new option. From here, it is a very short ride into Xinyi district.

Inside, the counters and layout remind me of Kai Tak in Hong Kong. Typical 60s and 70s architecture - but it's clean and bright nevertheless.

The timetable board has not yet gone electronic.

There was even a paper waiting list!

Flying within Taiwan itself is not as popular now that there is a high-speed rail link to Kaohsiung.

However, there is also a new T2.

My Other Taipei Photo Threads :
2009 Taipei Collection : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1016079
2008 Photo Threads : Part 12 | Part 11 | Part 10 | Part 9 | Part 8 | Part 7 | Part 6 | Part 5 | Part 4 | Part 3 | Part 2 | Part 1

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244686

Taipei: really beautiful and very nice under your photos, hkskyline
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #3
veoveoveo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Taipei looks smaller than many Chinese cities but still ok in size as the capital of Taiwan. It's not really planned while the chaotism of buidlings and surrounding mountains gives me a feeling of Seoul or Chongqing. I like that 'cause it makes the city have soul and more interesting to explore and live compared with those over planned Chinese and American cities.
veoveoveo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #4
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Taipei is indeed a very small city - less than 3 million.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Taipei Walker
心在臺灣

Likes (Received): 1255

But that's for Taipei City only, not including Taipei County (and the photos here were actually taken from Taipei County). For example, on this picture you don't even see Taipei City:

If Taipei County included the population is about 6,5mln.
Taipei Walker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I ventured about trying to find some good vantage points to capture 101. Being so tall, it was not hard.

Why is this piece of Philadelphia in town?

Motorcyclists get their own lane and box.

Huashan Culture Park is a revitalization project where artists take over abandoned buildings.

Since the artists have taken over, there are many art installations.

The food was good and there were no long lines.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Motorbikes are a very popular mode of transport in Taiwan. People generally just park them on the curb.

Taipei's tallest before 101.

Mobile protest wagon

Buses are a popular way to get around Taiwan. However, the high-speed train is a much faster alternative these days.

Neatly-placed signs ... I like more chaos though.

NTU Hospital is a beautiful example of Western-influenced architecture.

Another grand piece of architecture - the Control Yuan.

Chi-nan Church