daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 1

CHICAGO | River Point - 444 West Lake | 222m | 730ft | 52 fl | U/C

Height: 732 ft
Floor count: 50
Construction end:
Architect: Pickard Chilton Architects
Developer: Hines Interests

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...t-river-point/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 North Riverside Plaza is a fifty story, 1.2 million gross square foot project comprising office, retail, restaurants, a boat house and public spaces; a 1.5 acre public plaza; and three levels of below-grade parking. Located on a triangular site bordered by West Lake Street, Canal Street and the broad confluence of the branching North and South Chicago Rivers, 200 North Riverside enhances the character of this prominent river frontage while concealing the existing railroad tracks below. It is Pickard Chilton’s second major project in Chicago for Hines.

The tower’s unique sculptural form creates a striking silhouette from multiple vantage points throughout the city and responds to the wonderful qualities of its important waterfront site. The tower’s sweeping curves capture natural light within the building as well as provide panoramic views outward. A sky terrace perched six hundred feet above the river accentuates the distinct image of the tower’s crown and offers dramatic views of the river, the Loop and Lake Michigan on the horizon.

The riverfront plaza, a welcome public amenity for the West Loop neighborhood, is designed to reshape the urban fabric by creating a lively civic space that encourages pedestrian activity along the waterfront. The open public plaza cascades down to the river walk and the water’s edge through a series of landscaped terraces, water features, seating areas, and arcing pathways. The space enjoys abundant sunlight throughout the day and provides a pleasant respite along on the course of the river.

The public boat house, operated by the Park District of the City of Chicago, accommodates kayaks, canoes, and crew boats. The boat house also provides boat storage, locker rooms, a multipurpose gathering space, staff offices and an elevated, covered observation terrace. The building’s streamlined, sweeping roof design draws its inspiration from the highly refined form of competition oar blades.

As a Class-A office building, 200 North Riverside’s state-of-the-art design will serve as the headquarters for major international corporations. The grand and welcoming lobby features a sixty five foot high expanse of glass that acts as a proscenium arch framing views of the plaza, the river and cityscape beyond. Located above the lobby is a 50,000 square foot double-height conference center with a crescent-shaped exterior terrace that overlooks the river. The tower’s floor plates are configured to accommodate flexibility and efficiency in interior planning. The building’s richly articulated glass and silver metallic curtain wall, a key component in achieving a LEED Silver pre-certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, will minimize solar heat gain, maximize interior day lighting and enable expansive views.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; November 16th, 2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added project info.
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 13th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #2
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

Awesome.
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Ginza

Likes (Received): 2

Nice design but it looks a lot like Mexico Citys Torre Mayor

valdano7007 liked this post
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #4
MDguy
Balto

Looks Great! It does looks torre mayorish though. At least it has a hole at the top of it so it's not a toatle copy of torre mayor. But It looks so good at where the river splits!
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 11

Torrey Mayor is very different than this. Only one side of the building somewhat resembles the design of this. The other side of Torre Mayor looks like this:

Anyway, here is my estimated height diagram. Based on the terrace being at 600' like it says in the article.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #6
MDguy
Balto

youre right, the back of Torre mayor dosn't resemble this building at all. The front does a little bit though. This is one gorgeous building!
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Latoso
C.B.P.

Even if it does resemble Torre Mayor, I say so what! It's not as if we don't have at least a dozen meisian boxes which resemble hundreds of other meisian boxes around the world. It's beautiful and is at a great location in the city. It just needs to be at least a few hundred feet taller if it is to serve as a proper foothill to whatever gets built at Wolf Point.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Latoso
C.B.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Torrey Mayor is very different than this. Only one side of the building somewhat resembles the design of this. The other side of Torre Mayor looks like this:
I agree. But then again do we really know what the back of this building looks like? It could be similar to Torre Mayor or Riverbend? If anyone can find a rendering from behind, please do so.

Old May 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #9
MDguy
Balto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
Even if it does resemble Torre Mayor, I say so what! It's not as if we don't have at least a dozen meisian boxes which resemble hundreds of other meisian boxes around the world. It's beautiful and is at a great location in the city. It just needs to be at least a few hundred feet taller if it is to serve as a proper foothill to whatever gets built at Wolf Point.

you're right. so what? who cares. This is a great building. And It has an amazing location. I can't wait for this one
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 11

Love ít! It kinda looks like Torre Mayor! hehe

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #11
BMXican

Likes (Received): 2

what a dramatic presence! I'd love to see details of the top and that possible terrace ...
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #12
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 63

nice shape!
_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #13
MDguy
Balto

here are some pics of the site by museumparktom at ssp

view from the site

MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #14
MDguy
Balto

someone at ssp photoshopped the building to see what it would look like and I have to admit, it looks MUCH better

side by side comparison

Last edited by MDguy; May 16th, 2007 at 09:35 PM.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #15
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 1638

You meant, photoshopped it to be taller.....

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #16
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 4306

the photoshopped version looks 10 times better

Follow me on Twitter: @Black_Peak

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #17
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 20

THis is the first time I'm hearing about this building. It looks great! Love the photoshop picture; nice work. I thought I was pretty much up to par with new constructions and proposals for Chicago... how the heck did this one slip past me?
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #18
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 72

Chicago is on fire this year with this, Trump tower, Chicago spire and others it's in a mini construction boom.
Stefan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #19
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 59

What do you mean by mini?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #20
VikkyD
Yip-Eyey-Kie-Ay

Likes (Received): 0

hmm... I do think it looks nicer taller, or they could build the same height, and make it skinnier

its still a nice project though.
VikkyD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, chicago river, hines, river point, riverwalk, wolf point