daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #61
Adrian12345Lugo

Likes (Received): 1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkey View Post
But when choosing from South/North, it's South, although it doesn't really matter as it's one continent after all..
No, both of you are incorrect, it is considered to be in North America. not south or central, also Central America is a subregion with in North America.
Adrian12345Lugo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #62
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Central America is not a continent, it's part of North America! Every country in CA and the Caribbean is North America, including Cuba.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #63
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

petronas twin tower
sydney opera house
empire state building
christ statue
soccercity
red fort russia
eifel tower
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #64
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Seriously, the responses here make me question the age of these posters. Some people here needs to take a class in geography.

North America starts from the northern part of Canada, and includs Greenland, Central America (sub-region due to common culture and language) and the Caribbean Islands.

Australia IS a continent, the only country that is also a continent. Oceania is just a region that encompasses the Pacific Islands, NZ and Australia.

Middle East is in Asia

Russia has land area in both Asia and Europe

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #65
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Australia IS a continent, the only country that is also a continent. Oceania is just a region that encompasses the Pacific Islands, NZ and Australia.
I realize that many nations teach it that way, but it's just set up to confuse. Tell some 8 year old that New Zealand is in Australia and they might not realize that New Zealand is a country. They'll think it's a city or state within the country of Australia.

Couldn't they have standardized the name of the continent globally to something other than the name of a country? We avoid that confusion in Canada because we don't use the same word for the country and the continent. Like many other countries, we don't call the continent Australia, only the country. It's far less problematic.

So people from New Zealand are in the continent of 'Australia'? That makes them Australians then. It's another 'America' all over again.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #66
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I realize that many nations teach it that way, but it's just set up to confuse. Tell some 8 year old that New Zealand is in Australia and they might not realize that New Zealand is a country. They'll think it's a city or state within the country of Australia.

Couldn't they have standardized the name of the continent globally to something other than the name of a country? We avoid that confusion in Canada because we don't use the same word for the country and the continent. Like many other countries, we don't call the continent Australia, only the country. It's far less problematic.

So people from New Zealand are in the continent of 'Australia'? That makes them Australians then. It's another 'America' all over again.

I believe New Zealand is not a member of the Australian continent itself. Just like the smaller Pacific Islands, they are often called Oceania. I realized that many now call Oceania a continent. I agree with you that it's confusing. Australia itself is a continent yet itself is being grouped with Oceania

BTW, I wasn't taught this in school, but this is what I've read from World Book Encyclopedias.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #67
Wey
Recursive

Likes (Received): 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian12345Lugo View Post
I dont know, you cant go inside of it or walk on it, or can you?
As matter of fact, you can

Of course they won't let you, but the interior of the statue is shallow and you can go up to the arms.

You can see it - kinda - in this vid (0:36).

Also, since I'm already posting videos, check out this AMAZING new lighting the statue has received for the celebration of its anniversary:

10 V=ULTIMATE L
Wey no está en línea   Reply With Quote