daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Korean Forum 한국 공개토론

Old February 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #21
mumbojumbo

Likes (Received): 0

I don't really "love, love" kimchi unless its freshly made (then it is the greatest). Always good with plain soups tho.
mumbojumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #22
mookiecece
Seoul-jah

Likes (Received): 3

so true. I always dump lots and lots of kimchi into my soups to make them spicier. It makes some people freak the hell out though... I bet Ellatur will start throwing up
mookiecece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #23
waterloo
긴生머리의그女

Likes (Received): 6

I rather go for a Shin-Kimchi than Fresh one made. Shin-Kimchi give you this marvelous feeling on your toungue. Kinda like orgasm in your mouth.

-feverwin-
waterloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #24
mookiecece
Seoul-jah

Likes (Received): 3

I like Shinkimchi better too. It's great for making kimchi jjigae
mookiecece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #25
kyenan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloo
I rather go for a Shin-Kimchi than Fresh one made.
So do I!
kyenan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #26
efesese
Now in the forest...

For me, the Shin-er, the better

If u're in Korea, try the Jonga-jip Mat-kinchi, you can find it even at Family Mart and boy, it's "kimchilicious"
Old February 26th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #27
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 4

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you people are really scaring me!!!!
i don't understand how u people can actually consume that vile stuff!
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #28
mumbojumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloo
I rather go for a Shin-Kimchi than Fresh one made. Shin-Kimchi give you this marvelous feeling on your toungue. Kinda like orgasm in your mouth.
Haha. My mum usually just dumps the "shin-kimchi" into the kimchi jiggae
(which is really good with lots of samgyeopsal). Nice descriptions though

Btw, try frying kimchi and garlic with samgyeopsal- its the beeeest
mumbojumbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #29
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 2009

S. Korea opens world kimchi research center

SEOUL, March 10 (PNA/Yonhap) -- South Korea opened a state-run kimchi research center Wednesday that aims to fuel demand for the spicy side dish and develop fermentation technologies needed to make future food materials.

The farm ministry said the world kimchi laboratory, set up at the Korea Food Research Institute (KFRI) in Bundang, south of Seoul, will carry out detailed research on lactic acids created in the fermentation process and operate a pilot plant that can make prototype foods.

Lactic acids have shown promise because they can be used to make anti-bacterial products, high-value food additives and materials that could prevent dementia.

Kimchi is a fermented dish made by mixing pickled cabbage, radish and cucumbers with various spices and condiments such as salted fish and red pepper powder. It is eaten with almost every Korean meal and is exported to countries such as Japan.

"The laboratory can provide scientific studies and create data needed to transform kimchi into a more global dish, as well as promote overseas demand for Korean food in general," said a ministry official.

Increasing exports of Korean food and ingredients is part of a broader effort to push the country's agriculture and fisheries exports up to US$ 10 billion by 2012 from the $ 4.8 billion shipped out last year.

The center will move to Gwangju, 329 kilometers south of the capital city, with the completion of a larger facility in late 2011. (PNA/Yonhap)
hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #30
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyenan View Post
Do you guys know Ko-dul-pae-gi kimchi? I believe no one knows about it. Mhahah!! That's the kimchi from the region around my hometown, South Jeolla province. That's REALLY good.
lol I love kodulpagei it's like dandelion leaf kimchi or something. I agree its madddd good

Don't EVER ask a Korean which Korea they're from, that's the same thing as saying you know that the capital of Australia is Sydney when in fact it's Canberra!!
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #31
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloo View Post
What's shin-kimchi?
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #32
cydevil
Entering the Bookhell

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigoneseguy View Post
What's shin-kimchi?
Kimchi that's gone bad or more "fermented".
cydevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #33
hakz2007
Moderador

Likes (Received): 2009

I have tasted radish kimchi...It tastes good
hakz2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #34
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 7

I wonder, what if red pepper wasn't introduced to Korea, how would Korean cuisine be like today?
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #35
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 99

I did experience it a while ago when I went to a North korean restaurant. North korean cuisine doesn't include red pepper in its dishes .

The addition of red pepper to south korean cuisine is relatively recent (it occurred about 200 years ago) and didn't have time yet to conquer the entire peninsula.
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #36
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 2

Well, original Korean cuisine before Choson still had a lot of fermented food, dumplings and noodle. So I'm guessing pretty much the same stuff with much less spice.
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #37
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
I did experience it a while ago when I went to a North korean restaurant. North korean cuisine doesn't include red pepper in its dishes .

The addition of red pepper to south korean cuisine is relatively recent (it occurred about 200 years ago) and didn't have time yet to conquer the entire peninsula.
I heard it was introduced by the Portuguese in some article but I'm not sure.

Don't EVER ask a Korean which Korea they're from, that's the same thing as saying you know that the capital of Australia is Sydney when in fact it's Canberra!!
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #38
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5033

South Korean firm to develop healthier kimchi
1 September 2010
AFP

A South Korean firm said Wednesday it plans to develop a healthier, low-salt version of the country's signature dish kimchi in line with global trends.

Kimchi, a fiercely spiced mixture of pickled cabbage, radish and cucumbers, is prized for its healthy ingredients -- apart from the salt.

Daesang FNF said it would reduce the salinity rate to 1.6 grammes of salt for every 100 grammes of kimchi next year, compared to an average 2.0 grammes currently and 2.5 grammes over 20 years ago.

The government has been working to globalise Korean food including kimchi.

"In order for kimchi to appeal to foreigners as a healthy food, it is necessary to lower the level of salt," said a spokeswoman for Daesang FNF.

"The amount of sodium will differ but the taste will be the same as the original flavour."

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that Koreans consume more than double the World Health Organisation's recommended daily intake of salt, putting them at risk of ailments such as hypertension.

The Korea Food and Drug Administration is working to cut the sodium rate in food but kimchi is not a priority.

"Although kimchi can be salty, it is not considered unhealthy," an administration official told AFP. "The salty flavor is important, although it shouldn't be too much."

The side dish has its own museum in Seoul and an annual festival, and was even blasted into space with the country's first astronaut in 2008.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote