daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #21
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Likes (Received): 126

i like how you have a lot of shots of people in this thread. thats kind of unusual for you but it adds so much more depth to the thread. great shots.
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #22
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

You should do a book of photos, your pics are really evocative. I live in Toronto but love to visit Hamilton because its not so gentrified, a little gritty but also has a lot of really great architecture and good neighbourhoods. Yes, it is rundown in comparison to other Canadian cities but not as bad as Buffalo in the US just a few miles away.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #23
htpwn

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Nice work ,
A rustbelt city like no other

I wonder: Why hasn't Toronto a positive influence on this city? They are almost twin cities isn't it?
I wouldn't quite say that. The cities are about an hour drive apart and GO Transit doesn't have all day train service to Hamilton due to track issues.
htpwn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:39 AM   #24
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

This is a side of Hamilton I've never seen before. Were most of the "gritty" shots taken on the east side, close to the Steel Mills?

But, as far as a slum/ghetto is concerned, this isn't as bad as some areas of Detroit or Buffalo.

You know, if some people with sense of community could just take pride in this city and forget about the Steel Mills and industrial sectors, and look at how nice the west area is and the character and uniqueness the east side shares, this has the potential to be a very nice city. It's one reason I call Hamilton "The Pittsburgh of Canada".
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM   #25
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4257

Sad to see a city in such a decline.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:25 AM   #26
hadeer992

Likes (Received): 11

i never knew that Canada have places like these, i thought only the US have them
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM   #27
Western87

Likes (Received): 8

If I hadn't seen the title I could've sworn this was Detroit
Western87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM   #28
kingsway

Likes (Received): 12

great shots for its candidness.
kingsway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #29
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
This is a side of Hamilton I've never seen before. Were most of the "gritty" shots taken on the east side, close to the Steel Mills?

But, as far as a slum/ghetto is concerned, this isn't as bad as some areas of Detroit or Buffalo.

You know, if some people with sense of community could just take pride in this city and forget about the Steel Mills and industrial sectors, and look at how nice the west area is and the character and uniqueness the east side shares, this has the potential to be a very nice city. It's one reason I call Hamilton "The Pittsburgh of Canada".

This is mostly to the north and east of downtown where there is a high concentration of poverty and severe decline due to the loss of industry over the years.
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #30
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadeer992 View Post
i never knew that Canada have places like these, i thought only the US have them
Hamilton has a mix of income levels, but overall is definitely a blue collar city with unemployment problems. It has its gritty parts, but make no mistake about it, Hamilton is not a slum, and is not an unsafe place like live in. I think people may be jumping to conclusions that are not entirely correct.

As usual, Flar, outstanding photos!!
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #31
Hazeley

Likes (Received): 1

Fantastic urban photography. I spent about half an hour driving round Hamilton while lost earlier in the year. It seemed to have quite a charm and I wished I could have spent longer there.
Hazeley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #32
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Wow I can't believe it! Canada is worse than places in the states and is becoming third world
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #33
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 894

Hardest? This is too easy, it's Hamilton!
Balkanada está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #34
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Great thread. You really captured the feeling of the city quite well!

With that said, it should be noted that the city is far from a slum. The run-down neigbhourhoods are quite small compared to run-down neigbhourhoods in some other downtrodden rust-belt cities. The city does indeed have a very gritty feeling in most parts but most neigbhourhoods are comfortably middle class or above. However, yes, it is sometimes quite unsettling to see a Canadian city in such a condition.
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #35
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Hamilton has a mix of income levels, but overall is definitely a blue collar city with unemployment problems. It has its gritty parts, but make no mistake about it, Hamilton is not a slum, and is not an unsafe place like live in. I think people may be jumping to conclusions that are not entirely correct.

As usual, Flar, outstanding photos!!
Almost all cities have shady neighborhood. Nothing to be made a big deal out of.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #36
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Almost all cities have shady neighborhood. Nothing to be made a big deal out of.
Exactly. Anytime someone does a photo thread of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, which is actually a very small area, people spout off about how they're shocked to see such conditions in Canada. Give your head a shake people! Poverty exists everywhere.
Old November 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #37
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
Wow I can't believe it! Canada is worse than places in the states and is becoming third world
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #38
SteelcityChef

Likes (Received): 0

Thread title is just plain wrong.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this thread. While I agree that the pictures are very well done and are far better than anything that I would be able to produce; I take exception to people thinking they in anyway capture the city. Flar definately does have a gift with the camera, but unfortunately singled out a small section of a large city by which to make their judgement. That particular stretch of King St. is a disgrace, but by no means representative of Hamilton. How do one or two bad neighbourhoods negate the 30 to 40 great ones that surround them?

According to StatsCan, in October of 2010, the CMA's of Hamilton and Toronto had unemployment rates of 7.4% and 9.3% respectively. Were we to use these numbers as an explanation for the seedier side shown in these pictures, then I wonder what we'd find in Toronto; away from the glitzy downtown? I challenge everyone out there to take a trip into their city's underbelly, and measure its bruises against Hamilton's. I'm looking at you Vancouver... Winnipeg... Saint John... Sydney...

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/lfss04e-eng.htm
SteelcityChef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #39
Taller, Better
Administrator

To be fair, though, Flar has captured ALL parts of Hamilton, from the posh and historical areas (and yes, they exist) to the rundown working sections. This thread is just one of many of his fantastic endeavours! I do think, perhaps, that some people like Ale might be having a case of OVI (Overly Vivid Imagination), as Hamilton is no where near to being "third world", or a "slum", and could only be described as such by one who has seen neither.
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #40
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Greetings from Toronto: I love, love, love Hamilton. It's got great bones, great topography, great history, and wonderful down to earth people. Sure Hamilton has seen better days, but it will bounce back. Hamilton just needs some time, money, and attention.

I love spending time in the Hammer. Hamilton's a real city, not like those plastic places springing up on the outskirts of some cities. This city has character, and you can't buy that.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote