daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #41
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by naive.super View Post
great photos, but what a depressing city.
It's depressed, but I never get depressed visiting Hamilton. In some ways, it's a city where time has stood still for 30 years. It's a glimpse into the past and one of the most fascinating places in the country because of it.

For a comfortable Canadian living in the boom town that is Toronto, Hamilton is a breath of fresh air. The people are real and genuine, and there's lots of beauty all around if you look close enough.

I hope Hamilton can rise again, but I hope it never loses that special something it seems to have. Sadly, I'm not sure both can happen at the same time.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #42
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Take a walk "up the hill" someday, and scout out the gorgeous old Victorian mansions.. as well as the beautiful old churches and municipal buildings downtown. The Hammer was a big money town back then, and it shows.
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #43
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Yeah, I've been up there. It's gorgeous! I actually prefer Hamilton to Toronto, but it's just too damn small.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #44
hadeer992

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Hamilton has a mix of income levels, but overall is definitely a blue collar city with unemployment problems. It has its gritty parts, but make no mistake about it, Hamilton is not a slum, and is not an unsafe place like live in. I think people may be jumping to conclusions that are not entirely correct.

As usual, Flar, outstanding photos!!
I know how the people live in Hamilton, because I have a friend there, and she says even the people who live on welfare are doing well and they enjoy a good standard of living , so I never imagined there are a places like this in Canada. But I know how/where the vast majority of Canadians live
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #45
SteelcityChef

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
...It's got great bones, great topography, great history, and wonderful down to earth people... This city has character, and you can't buy that.
Here here!

I hope to see some of those who suffer from this OVI out on the trails sometime. I'll point out where the best waterfalls and all the other treasures are. Hell, I'll even buy them a day pass for the HSR to make it that much easier for them. If they're interesting enough, I'll take them out for a pint. Not to the Carleton Tavern though, Hess Village or Augusta all the way.

If only we could get that ever elusive NHL team, and get American Steel out of our mills, this city would be damn near perfect.
SteelcityChef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #46
hadeer992

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
Wow I can't believe it! Canada is worse than places in the states and is becoming third world
places like these doesn't mean they country is a third world. In the third world countries, the majority of people live in places even worse than this. In countries like US or Canada, those places are for poor or homeless people only .
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #47
SteelcityChef

Likes (Received): 0

One of my favourite parts of Hamilton is one that you'll never see advertised anywhere. There's a guy that listens to his CD Walkman, and dances the entire length of King/Main sts. from Dundas to Stoney Creek. He is awesome! There's even a fan page on Facebook about him. He's a freaking legend, and he's all Hamilton!

You don't see him everyday, but when you do... Life is good. He's gotta be dancing for a reason right? Well, I choose to believe that he knows that everything is gonna be alright, and is dancing to celebrate. Sure, he's probably a little crazy, but then, aren't we all a little bit crazy?
SteelcityChef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #48
flar
____

Likes (Received): 57

Hamilton has a lot of beauty too, and compared to the the third world or even parts of the United States, most people in Hamilton are doing alright. Among Canadian cities, it is one of the hardest hit by economic decline associated with the move to a postindustrial economy. A lot of the resulting poverty and social problems are concentrated in an area north and east of Downtown Hamilton. These photos are a real part of Hamilton.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #49
fozzy

Likes (Received): 84

What a shithole!!!!!! it's such a shame to see this kind of decline in a city because it looks like it was ok in the past. The architecture suggests a prosperity sadly missing today.
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #50
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Please don't call cities by names like that. I doubt very much if you like it when people say that about Leeds, do you? Let's be respectful.