daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #101
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 2912

Midrand station today

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #102
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

awesome!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #103
mopc

Likes (Received): 11980

Fantastic system! I wish we had that in Brazil
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #104
homunwai

Likes (Received): 1

Pardon my ignorance.
Can someone provide some details about the trains?
- Gauge?
- Floor height (from top of rail).
- Width? height?

Thank you.
homunwai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #105
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8815

I was quite surprised to see how narrow the carriages were. I would have thought they would have made them slightly wider. Are they built to the UK loading gauge or something?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #106
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Which train is uses ? Bombardier Talent, Desiro, one else ?

Thank you

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #107
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Which train is uses ? Bombardier Talent, Desiro, one else ?

Thank you
Bombardier Electrostar trainsets are used.

Steve
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM   #108
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homunwai View Post
Pardon my ignorance.
Can someone provide some details about the trains?
- Gauge?
- Floor height (from top of rail).
- Width? height?

Thank you.
*Standard gauge i.e. 1435mm
* Height 3.78 m
* Width 2.80 m

Source : http://twitpic.com/1pemnw
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #109
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 128

Long overdue update:

So about 2 weeks ago I was invited for the first mass public testing ("stress test") of the airport line. About 700 people participated, and we took a ride from Sandton station to the airport, and back, which I timed to be just under 15 minutes (one way), as promised . Here are some photos I managed to squeeze in:

The busses we were ferried to the Marlboro station from the head office in: (didnt get an inside shot )

Marlboro:

Tried to get a few sneaky pictures of the Sandton platform from inside the train (we weren't allowed out )

All I can say is WOW. Be prepared to have your mind blown when you ride this baby from the 8th

geometarkv liked this post
Inertia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #110
Inertia
Bloody Agent

www.gautrain.co.za
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #111
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Nice pictures. Are the Electrostars bought "off the shelf" (i.e. built to the British loading gauge)?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #112
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Nice pictures. Are the Electrostars bought "off the shelf" (i.e. built to the British loading gauge)?
Funnily enough that's exactly what I asked and didn't get an answer.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #113
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

I have no idea myself, but perhaps www.gautrain.co.za has an answer.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:51 PM   #114
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
They've been customised to the South African climate but are essentially built off the identical chassis to the UK model.

Quote:
The Gautrain rail cars are safe, comfortable, quiet, reliable high-speed train cars perfectly suited to the needs of the modern rail commuter passenger.
The rail cars (coaches) are based on the highly successful Electrostar rail car produced by Bombardier. The Electrostar is used extensively in the UK following its introduction in 1999. Since then, it has become the most popular new rail car being supplied in the UK.
The Eurostar is among the leaders in its class in terms of reliability and availability during in-service operation.
The rail car is fabricated extensively from aluminium leading to a low mass which in turn leads to reduced energy consumption during operations. The state-of-the-art design incorporates crash- and crush-worthiness fully compliant with modern day safety requirements.
A typical Gautrain Train Unit will comprise of four rail cars. The first and last cars are streamlined and either can accommodate the driver, depending upon the desired direction of operation of the train. The central two cars are identical in appearance except for the absence of the driver’s cab and the streamlined nose.
To permit safe operation at the required speeds of up to 160 km/h and to provide the maximum levels of passenger safety, whilst eliminating the need for costly and extensive re-engineering of the rail cars, the Gautrain will run on standard railway gauge of 1435mm as opposed to the Cape gauge of 1065mm used extensively elsewhere in South Africa. This means that the rail cars as used in the UK will be supplied virtually unchanged from those in extensive, safe, service in the UK.
Standard gauge railways comprise about 60% of the length of all railways, worldwide resulting in the lowest cost rail cars available internationally. Cape gauge accounts for about 9% of the world total.
Each four car train unit can accommodate 321 seated and 138 standing passengers. When additional passenger capacity is required, two four car train units can be coupled together to provide double the capacity.
The front two cars of train units on the Airport service from Sandton will be especially fitted out to provide more spacious and comfortable seating and luggage racks near each door. The two airport cars will have a seated capacity for 110 passengers.
Every rail car rides on two bogies, one at either end. Each bogie comprises two axles with a total of four wheels. Thus each rail car is supported on four axles and eight wheels. The primary suspension is steel springs overlain by an air suspension system, giving a very comfortable and smooth ride. The air suspension system has self levelling capabilities to ensure precise matching of rail car floor levels with platform levels, thus allowing easy access and exit for rail passengers, including those with disabilities.
The rail cars are extremely quiet in operation with a maximum interior noise level estimated at 70 dBA at 160 km/h. The interior noise levels of the average modern passenger car at 120 km/h range from 66 dBA to 74dBA.
The rail cars are known as Electric Multiple Units (EMUs) and will be powered from overhead electrification wires at a voltage of 25kVac.
An EMU allows distributed power along the train and in the case of the Gautrain, twelve of the sixteen axles of a four car train unit are provided with 200kW electric motors (a motorisation ratio of 75%), leading to a relative high power to weight ratio of approximately 11 kW per ton. This power to weight ratio ensures the high levels of acceleration and deceleration required to achieve the required maximum journey times specified of 42 minutes from Johannesburg Park station to Hatfield station.
Having distributed power allows the train to climb gradients significantly steeper than on the national rail network. The direct alignment needed to achieve the shortest distance between the specified stations requires gradients of up to 4% which is significantly steeper than normal railway main line gradients which are normally restricted to 1,5% or occasionally 2% in special instances. The Gautrain has a motorisation ratio of 75% which could allow it to climb gradients in excess of 10%.
The use of a high voltage alternating current (ac) system permits the entire Gautrain system to be fed from a single electrical traction substation which will be located at the Gautrain Midrand Depot. The traction substation will be provided with two independent supplies from Eskom to ensure reliability of electrical power supply.
All train units will be provided with blended braking systems. Once it is decided to brake a train, the system first goes into regenerative braking mode, thus using its electric motors as brakes. The electrical power is then supplied back into the overhead lines and can then be used by other trains in the system that are accelerating or are otherwise in a power receptive (consuming) mode. Should there be no receptive trains, then the power will be fed back to Eskom supply, thus ensuring efficient electrical usage characteristics throughout the system. Should higher levels of braking be required this can be provided by the motors, the system then automatically applies the disc brakes. Disc brakes are provided on all wheels and the configuration is similar to advanced modern motor vehicle disc braking systems, being fitted with an Anti-skid Braking System (ABS).
All train units will be provided with Automatic Train Protection (ATP). The ATP system is programmed with the maximum permissible operating speed for every metre of the track and will automatically brake the train if it travels more than 3km/h faster than the pre-set speed for that particular point. In extreme cases, the ATP will automatically brake the train to a standstill without driver intervention.
http://about.gautrain.co.za/services...look-and-feel/
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #115
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4731

Quote:
Originally Posted by The E.N.D View Post
image hosted on flickr
160 km/h only ?
I'm a bit disapointed.
I was especting a 220 km/h top speed: even if it is not really HSR, it's not too far.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM   #116
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

It would not be useful, the longest branch is 62 km long and station spaced between 5 to 20 km.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #117
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Gautrain readying for official launch

35 minutes ago Print this article | Email article

Johannesburg – Gautrain, the multibillion rand rapid rail project, will formally be launched on Saturday, erasing any doubts that the first phase of the R25bn project will be finished in time before the Soccer World Cup gets underway next week.

The first phase was originally scheduled to be completed on June 27.

Barbara Jensen, spokesperson for Gautrain Management Agency, which belongs to the Gauteng province and is overseeing the construction of the project, told I-Net Bridge ahead of the formal launch on Saturday the first phase had met the deadline that "seemed impossible a couple months ago".

The first phase links OR Tambo International Airport and Sandton. It is especially vital for Johannesburg, which will host both the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Cup, running from June 11 to July 11.

In the original contract signed on September 28 2006, the Bombela Concession Company was tasked with completing the first phase on June 27 2010.

Bombela consists of Bombardier, Bouygues Travaux Publics, Murray & Roberts and Strategic Partners Group.

In November 2009, Bombela requested R1.3bn to bring forward the completion date by one month, but the Gauteng province declined this
request.

The official launch on Saturday confirms that the first phase has been completed, paving way for the start of commercial operation.

Jensen said the commercial operation would start on Tuesday, three days before the World Cup kicks off.

Gautrain Management Agency would operate Gautrain.

"We have completed all construction on the airport link OR Tambo to Sandton," Jensen said.

Rhodesfield and Marlboro stations will be operational, Jensen said. As part of phase two, the construction on the route from Sandton to
Johannesburg Park Station and from Sandton to Hatfield in Pretoria was ongoing, she said.

This second phase - which is scheduled to be completed in 2011 - connects Sandton to Park Station, and Midrand to Hatfield in Tshwane.

The network will cover nearly 80km long once both phases one and two are finished.

Gautrain cleared one of its major hurdles on Wednesday when Deputy Minister of Transport, Jeremy Cronin, handed over the safety permit, which authorises the operations of the Gautrain, to Bombela.

In terms of the National Railway Safety Regulator Act, no person is allowed to operate a railway service in the country without a safety permit, which is issued by the National Railway Safety Regulator.

Much of the operational groundwork has been laid already.

Gautrain Management Agency announced ticket fares on May 26. A trip from OR Tambo to Sandton will cost R100 in either direction.

There are other ticket fares applicable to trips between stations. A single trip from Sandton to Marlboro will cost 16.50 rand, from Sandton to Rhodesfield R21.00; and from Marlboro to Rhodesfield 18.50 rand.

An integrated single train plus single bus trips will cost R22.50 from Sandton to Marlboro, R27.00 from Sandton to Rhodesfield; and R24.50 from Marlboro to Rhodesfield.

Parking at any station will cost R9.50 for the first 24 hours.

The agency said commuters would access all services by means of a contactless smart card – the Gautrain Gold Card, which allows seamless
transfer between Gautrain's train, bus and parking services.

"Cash will not be accepted for passage on the buses or trains or at the parking exit gates," it said.

- I-Net Bridge
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #118
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Facts about the Gautrain on the first day of operation

The Bombela Concession Company has today thanked the public, particularly Gauteng residents for their unwavering support on the first day of Gautrain's operations. Bombela CEO, Jerome Govender said that the service operated generally smoothly with the trains operating at 96.7% punctuality and 100% availability.

The first trains departed Sandton Station on time at 05:24, and the OR Tambo International Airport on time at 05:30. Trains during the first hour of operations (05:30 - 06:30) of the Airport Service were full, carrying approximately 1 000 passengers during this period. All 38 buses ferrying passengers to and from the stations also ran according to schedule. No safety or security incidents have been reported. Commuters are encouraged to use the Gautrain bus service which operates in surrounding areas that are up to 15 kilometer radius of the stations.

Govender acknowledged that while the train and bus services went smoothly, there were intermittent delays with the automatic fare collection system - particularly credit card connections. There have also been some electronic issues at parking gates. "We are aware of these issues and sincerely regret any inconvenience caused. We thank Gautrain passengers for their patience as we work through our first few days of operation. Customers are requested to approach the customer service agents at each station for assistance with any issues. These agents are all in uniform, wearing high visibility vests" he said

No cash is accepted on the Gautrain trains, buses or at the parking exit gates. Commuters should access all services by means of a contactless smart card - the Gautrain Gold Card. The Gautrain Gold Card allows seamless transfer between Gautrain's train, bus and parking services. Gautrain Gold Cards are available at a once-off cost of R10 from ticket offices and ticket vending machines at all stations as well as at selected retailers. Value can then be loaded onto the cards on an as-required basis and the cards can be re-used over and over again to pay for Gautrain services. Passengers also have the opportunity of registering their Gautrain Gold Cards at a ticket office which will enable the blacklisting of a card should it be lost or stolen. Un-used value on the card can then be transferred to a new card.

The train and bus services operate from Monday to Sunday between 05:30 to 20:30. Trains and buses are available every 12 minutes during peak times (05:30 to 08:30 and 16:00 to 19:00), and every 20 minutes during off-peak times. On weekends the train service is available every 30 minutes.

MoneyWeb
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #119
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Source : http://www.news24.com/Galleries/Imag...0on%20Gautrain
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #120
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Good to see it's up and running! Shame about the frequencies, but nothing is ever perfect! I like electrostars myself even if they are a little cramped. Looking forward to a really successful world cup guys!

Tags
south africa