search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1
GaForce

Likes (Received): 9

ATLANTA - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,041)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/1...tractable-roof

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/1...tractable-roof

===========================================================================================

Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons have been pushing for a new open air stadium for a few years now. They currently play in the 19 year old Georgia Dome, which is owned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority. Here is an article from the AJC the other day

http://www.ajc.com/business/falcons-...en-848736.html

Quote:
The Authority agreed to enter into a “memorandum of understanding” with the Falcons on plans for a potential $700 million open-air stadium downtown.

Both parties emphasized the memorandum does not constitute a done deal, but rather allows them to begin negotiations over details of the project, including financing.

But the Falcons have made it clear that they want a new open-air stadium, rejecting alternatives such as expanding the Georgia Dome, adding a retractable roof to the facility or building a new dome with a retractable roof.

A new stadium could open as soon as 2017, officials said, and would be built on a site just over a half-mile north of the Georgia Dome.
Here is a link to the proposed plan with site details. They are pushing to put the facility north of the GWCC campus

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/archiv...la_844511a.pdf

If the financing is right, I'm all for this!

Erlenberg, geometarkv, Brunarino liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; July 17th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
GaForce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2
JYDA

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaForce View Post
Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons have been pushing for a new open air stadium for a few years now. They currently play in the 19 year old Georgia Dome
Is it that necessary to replace a 19 year old stadium??
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #3
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2083

If it's not generating enough revenue, it doesn't really matter how old it is.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
JJG

Likes (Received): 886

If/when this stadium gets built, what about the Georgia Dome?
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #5
weava

Likes (Received): 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If/when this stadium gets built, what about the Georgia Dome?
I would think GT would want to play there, their stadium looks like crap
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
slipperydog

I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Still plenty good for the Final Four, bowl games, and big concerts/conventions. Without the Falcons in the way, it might make sense for GA Tech to move their home game against UGA there, as there would be a larger capacity and they would get to keep all the revenue.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #7
GaForce

The Georgia Dome was built before the boom of luxury suites and club seats in these NFL stadiums. It just missed the boat. I personally believe it can be salvaged with a state of the art renovation that would include a retractable roof. As a falcons fan, I would prefer them to play outdoors. Anybody who's been to a game in a dome will tell you that it is a sterile and bland atmosphere. Also the parking in and around the Dome is spread out.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #8
GaForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Still plenty good for the Final Four, bowl games, and big concerts/conventions. Without the Falcons in the way, it might make sense for GA Tech to move their home game against UGA there, as there would be a larger capacity and they would get to keep all the revenue.
Could be possible. Georgia State University just started their football program last year and is playing games there now.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #9
IamRohit
namasté

Likes (Received): 52

GSU

Yeah, chances of GSU using it are greater than GT using it for their games
IamRohit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #10
JJG

... Maybe GT and Georgia State could play one or two games there a season, but there has to be more than that if they keep it stading (which they should).

Final Fours, WrestleManias, BMX/Monsterjams... those come at least every 5-6 years or so. There's gotta be more. Especially if the new stadium is open air (why?).
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #11
slipperydog

What about the Alamodome? Nothing major happens there and that's still standing. What about the Astrodome for crying out loud? GSU will have at least 6 games at the Georgia Dome per year, plus maybe some high school games, bowl games, Final Fours, and concerts. Jacksonville's football stadium only has 9 football games per year and it's still standing. Unless you wanted to expand the convention center, there's no reason to tear down the Georgia Dome, and the GWCC is plenty big enough already.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #12
slipperydog

Remember, if you tear down the Georgia Dome, Atlanta is out of the mix for Final Fours. The Final Four rotation is an exclusive club that's tough to break into.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #13
Benn

Likes (Received): 156

This seems really stupid. They should refit the premium seating, put up a retractable roof and convert the upper level endlines to temporary seating. That sounds like $300-350 million, and not creating any redundancy. I suppose they would need to spend a season or a season and a half playing at Bobby Dodd or Sanford or something, but its better than wasting $300-400 million.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #14
slipperydog

You don't think they looked at that already? Blank is a pretty savvy guy, and history indicates he's not in the wasting-money business. If renovating the Dome is not workable and it's better to build an open-air stadium from scratch, I'll take their word for it. All depends on the financing. I'm not sure this would be a great deal for the taxpayers.
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #15
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 140

Georgia Tech won't move off-campus. They've been playing at Bobby Dodd since 1912 I believe. Bobby Dodd has the worst concourses I've ever seen, but it's got a beautiful location and has good atmosphere.
Archbishop está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #16
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 12

I read a while back that the Georgia Dome hosts over 100 events a year. ~12 of those are Falcons games (in a good year). So don't anticipate the dome becoming decrepit, or even having a lack of use. There are numerous conventions, concerts, religious events, etc.

The GWCC manages the Georgia Dome, and has agreed to this MOU. They wouldn't agree to it if there wasn't more money to be made than to be lost.

There haven't been any rumblings of the Falcons moving out of Atlanta. However, there have been threats to move away from the GWCC and immediate downtown area (north or south suburbs). I think there could be some weight behind that threat since most of the money is in the northern suburbs.
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #17
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
This seems really stupid. They should refit the premium seating, put up a retractable roof and convert the upper level endlines to temporary seating. That sounds like $300-350 million, and not creating any redundancy. I suppose they would need to spend a season or a season and a half playing at Bobby Dodd or Sanford or something, but its better than wasting $300-400 million.
I wouldn't call it stupid. As was said earlier its more about time frame. The newer stadiums are making a killing. A new stadium really doesn't have to be that great or super expensive to make a ton on revenue. Especially if the Falcons don't own the Georgia Dome or have a good negotiable contract on what revenues they keep.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #18
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
What about the Alamodome? Nothing major happens there and that's still standing. What about the Astrodome for crying out loud? GSU will have at least 6 games at the Georgia Dome per year, plus maybe some high school games, bowl games, Final Fours, and concerts. Jacksonville's football stadium only has 9 football games per year and it's still standing. Unless you wanted to expand the convention center, there's no reason to tear down the Georgia Dome, and the GWCC is plenty big enough already.
I'm not saying you are, but I think you're taking my post in thinking that I'm saying the Georgia Dome should be torn down. I'm NOT saying that... (just couldn't tell if you were directing this at me).

And I was actually going to bring up the Alamodome. And since the Spurs moved out, it's only been used for Final Fours, High School football, and maybe a couple other events, I'm not sure.

But UT-San Antonio has their football program now and that will be their official home stadium, so it will be used more frequently once again. I would say GaSt. could do the same for the Georgia Dome, but doesn't that school already have a stadium of their own?
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #19
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm not saying you are, but I think you're taking my post in thinking that I'm saying the Georgia Dome should be torn down. I'm NOT saying that... (just couldn't tell if you were directing this at me).

And I was actually going to bring up the Alamodome. And since the Spurs moved out, it's only been used for Final Fours, High School football, and maybe a couple other events, I'm not sure.

But UT-San Antonio has their football program now and that will be their official home stadium, so it will be used more frequently once again. I would say GaSt. could do the same for the Georgia Dome, but doesn't that school already have a stadium of their own?
Georgia State does not have a stadium suit for FCS/FBS football. You may be thinking of Kennesaw State University, a school outside Atlanta who has a new soccer stadium.

The state money will apparently be from hotel/rental car taxes, but that may still drive conventions away in the end.
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 29

If the Falcons want a new stadium, can't they build one next to Turner Field?

According to Google Maps, directly north of Turner Field is a long stretch of parking lots. An NFL stadium there would create a nice sports complex south of downtown.

Wouldn't that be better than building one north of the Georgia Dome?

And maybe they could extend the MARTA to that area.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, atlanta, united states, usa