daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 349

TOKYO - National Olympic Stadium (50,339 -> 80,000) - 2020 Olympics

This is Tokyo's new National Olympic Stadium at Kasumigaoka in the Shinjuku district. It is built to a design by Zaha Hadid.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

rafaelkafka, NaRc0t1c, StephanieAVV liked this post

Last edited by Jim856796; November 25th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Jericho-79

Likes (Received): 10

The Greater Tokyo area has too many stadiums.
Jericho-79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
o.S.T.mus.tis.nt.
JE'AN DEVE' PE' NULA

Likes (Received): 1

It has too many people.
o.S.T.mus.tis.nt. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Cardamomun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Impressive
Cardamomun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 59

Jim856796, is the stadium protected by the city given its history or could you expand or redevelop it in some way?
gavstar00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Boriska
Savile Row Gentleman

Likes (Received): 4257

It is the main stadium of the Tokyo 2020 bid ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boriska está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

For the Tokyo 2020 bid, a renovation plan for Tokyo's National Olympic Stadium is being considered. During the 1964 Olympics, the capacity of the stadium was 71,600, but now it's been reduced to 57,600. The plan is to attempt to boost seating capacity and re-adapt it for 21st-century Olympic standards. The plan came up to reduce costs, at least for the Tokyo Olympic bid.

What do I think about this? I have my doubts about any renovation plan for the Tokyo Olympic stadium due to limited space and the possibility that a brand-new Olympic stadium may be built on the site of the existing National Stadium. And I don't know about the stadium's protection by the city due to historic status.

I actually supported the plan to build a brand-new larger national stadium on an artificial island, but that was for Tokyo's failed 2016 bid. The site for the planned stadium had been criticized by the International Olympic Committee as being dangerous in the event of a natural disaster, since it is surrounded by water on all three sides. The site had to be something of a "last resort" since space is limited in the Tokyo area for a new national stadium.

Now it is unlikely that Tokyo will ever build a brand-new national stadium, even for the Olympics, especially one that is larger than Yokohama's International Stadium (wich has a capacity of 73,000.

Old January 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #8
shantelleyu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Tokyo National Olympic Stadium

Main stadium of 1958 Asian Games
Main stadium of 1964 Summer Olympics (hosted athletics, football final, team showjumping)
Venue of annual Mirage Bowl college American football game (1978-1986)
Venue for Intercontinental cup final (1980-2001)
1991 IAAF World Championships in Athletics venue
2019 Rugby World Cup venue

Go there watching the game must be good
shantelleyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #9
DrunkMonkey

Likes (Received): 69

sure, just bring the binoculars with you and the you'll experience the game as never before.

StephanieAVV liked this post
DrunkMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #10
GYEvanEFR

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
For the Tokyo 2020 bid, a renovation plan for Tokyo's National Olympic Stadium is being considered. During the 1964 Olympics, the capacity of the stadium was 71,600, but now it's been reduced to 57,600. The plan is to attempt to boost seating capacity and re-adapt it for 21st-century Olympic standards. The plan came up to reduce costs, at least for the Tokyo Olympic bid.

What do I think about this? I have my doubts about any renovation plan for the Tokyo Olympic stadium due to limited space and the possibility that a brand-new Olympic stadium may be built on the site of the existing National Stadium. And I don't know about the stadium's protection by the city due to historic status.

I actually supported the plan to build a brand-new larger national stadium on an artificial island, but that was for Tokyo's failed 2016 bid. The site for the planned stadium had been criticized by the International Olympic Committee as being dangerous in the event of a natural disaster, since it is surrounded by water on all three sides. The site had to be something of a "last resort" since space is limited in the Tokyo area for a new national stadium.

Now it is unlikely that Tokyo will ever build a brand-new national stadium, even for the Olympics, especially one that is larger than Yokohama's International Stadium (which has a capacity of 73,000).
Yeah, But with seats, no standing nor bleacher (I guess) at least 72K seats in 2+1 tiers.
GYEvanEFR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11
ukiyo
モデレーター

Likes (Received): 4278

Tokyo stadium set for billion dollar facelift
Quote:
Feb 6 (Reuters) - Tokyo's iconic National Stadium is poised to receive a billion dollar renovation, turning it into a space-age venue with moving seats for the 2019 rugby World Cup, Reuters has learned.

Japan will host rugby's showcase tournament a year before the 2020 Olympics, which Tokyo has bid for again after losing out in the running for 2016.

If successful with its tender, the new-look National Stadium, located close to Tokyo's bustling centre, would double up as the main stadium for the rugby World Cup and Olympics.

"We are in talks with the stadium owners and Tokyo government about it being the venue for both the World Cup and the Olympics," Japan Rugby Football Union (JRFU) chairman Tatsuzo Yabe told Reuters.

"It will have seating for 80,000 to 100,000. We have to knock down the current National Stadium - it is old and only has a capacity of around 50,000."

Yabe said plans would include retractable seating, similar to the revolutionary Sapporo Dome, the hi-tech jewel in Japan's crown at the 2002 soccer World Cup with a 'floating' pitch.

"It will have seats which can be moved in when we need the track for the Olympics and back for ball games like soccer and rugby," Yabe said.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8D65NM20120206
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please stop by!

浮世
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Lord David

Likes (Received): 78

A billion dollars? For that price you could have built the waterfront stadium, seating 100,000 or demolished the Olympic Stadium and build a new one from scratch (oh right that's the plan :P), or heck move Yokohama's stadium piece by piece closer to Tokyo!

Wait, wasn't the whole idea about sustainability? Using the existing Olympic Stadium, merely expanding and renovating it?

Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
ukiyo
モデレーター

The waterfront stadium is not a good idea, if you click the link you will also read

Quote:
The IOC, however, raised concerns about emergency evacuation with three sides of the stadium facing the sea.
Yes they will basically take down the current one and build a brand new one.

please stop by!

浮世
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #14
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2195

facelift?

Actually its a new stadium

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #15
ukiyo
モデレーター

Yeah the reuters title for the article isn't that good :P

please stop by!

浮世
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Lord David

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
The waterfront stadium is not a good idea, if you click the link you will also read

Yes they will basically take down the current one and build a brand new one.
If that was directed to me, I meant that for 1 billion they could have built their waterfront stadium at 100,000.

1 billion is a little too much for a new stadium built on the site of the existing Olympic Stadium. There's been emphasis on using the current Olympic Stadium to act as sustainability, they should really explore on that.

Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17
ukiyo
モデレーター

The stadium on the waterfront would cost much more than 100 billion yen actually, due to safety measures and also waterfront property is at a premium. There isn't much space to build a new stadium that will be safe so they decided to build a better one on the current site with almost double the amount of seats (they will use the new stadium for more events since the seating can be configured easily, while the current one can't). Tokyo is always under constant redevelopment so this isn't really a surprise.

please stop by!

浮世
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #18
michał_

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
If that was directed to me, I meant that for 1 billion they could have built their waterfront stadium at 100,000.

1 billion is a little too much for a new stadium built on the site of the existing Olympic Stadium. There's been emphasis on using the current Olympic Stadium to act as sustainability, they should really explore on that.
Actually the waterfront stadium didn't sound sustainable at all while this one does. It will take the current one's events with much better capability to host them - retractable seating in a stadium that gets rugby, football and atheltics is a really good idea. Capacity will rise while the current stadiums simply isn't suitable these days, it's historically important but Tokyo and Japan need to move on.

And $1bn is not that much really. Not for a 100,000-seater in the heart of Japan with newest technologies. Surely sounds like a better deal than the American 1bn+ stadiums to me.
and
!
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 67

any renders? or am I getting ahead of myself? ;D
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Tokyo's waterfront must look like a bad location for a new national stadium. Lack of space aside, Tokyo still needs a new national stadium.

Last edited by Jim856796; February 9th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.

Tags
tokyo