daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #1
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

CLEVELAND | Public Transport

[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHvSbb5FLyBrMNuMnnNWrm6AbUsHpTVnPBLL6hzS2u_DvkOvY&t=1&usg=__raIXvlidgJYow-yLArib62V5nxQ=[/IMG]

Known as "The Rapid" this is the second oldest rapid transit system still in operation in the Midwestern U.S (after Chicago). Cleveland also had the first airport rail link in the US which opened in 1968. The system consists of one heavy rail line (the Red line) and two light rail lines (the Blue and Green lines). There is also a BRT line known as the "HealthLine" that runs between Downtown and University Circle.

Last edited by diablo234; November 9th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Wikipedia: "In 2007, RTA was named the best public transit system in North America by the American Public Transportation Association, for "demonstrating achievement in efficiency and effectiveness." I didn't know that!

Thanks for the report!
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

That's surprising given the red line "rapid transit" only runs every 20 minutes and the blue or green only seem to run every 15 minutes. Seems quite infrequent.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
That's surprising given the red line "rapid transit" only runs every 20 minutes and the blue or green only seem to run every 15 minutes. Seems quite infrequent.
Service levels are not a requirement for rapid transit. Many subway systems have service that is worse than 20 minutes. Miami runs 30 minutes on the weekends.

I have been to Cleveland a couple o times, and the RTA is actually a well-run system for the city.
Cleveland is pretty run down city, and the RTA is working with limited funding. If the money was there, I am sure the service would improve.
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Service levels are not a requirement for rapid transit. Many subway systems have service that is worse than 20 minutes. Miami runs 30 minutes on the weekends.

I have been to Cleveland a couple o times, and the RTA is actually a well-run system for the city.
Cleveland is pretty run down city, and the RTA is working with limited funding. If the money was there, I am sure the service would improve.
For a Rust Belt city they are actually doing a good job of providing transit service.

That being said there is a number of new infill development along Euclid which is encouraging, along with new residential lofts in Downtown, Ohio City, Tremont, Little Italy, University Circle, etc. I would say Cleveland is slowly changing for the better.

Last edited by diablo234; November 9th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #7
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

New Design for the E 120 Rapid Station with plans for Transit Orientated Development surrounding the station.

http://www.riderta.com/majorprojects/e120.asp

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #8
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

New Design for the University-Cedar station.

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #9
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I thought I will show you guys some photos of Tower City. Formerly known as Cleveland Union Terminal it was renamed Tower City Center also in addition to being the main hub of the RTA Rapid rail network, this was also originally Cleveland's main intercity rail terminal. However once Amtrak decided to pull out some developers renovated the station and turned it into a shopping mall similar to Union Station in Washington D.C. There is also a skyway connecting Tower City to Progressive Field and the Quicken Loans Arena (where the Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Cavaliers play).

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by diablo234; November 10th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #11
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Remodel of the Puritas Rapid station now under construction.

East Elevation Rendering of the E. 55 St. Rapid Station reconstruction.

View of the current Lee/Van Aken Rapid Station.

The new proposed design for the Lee/Van Aken station.

Last edited by diablo234; November 10th, 2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #13
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Looks more like a church than a station.
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #14
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Video on the HealthLine, Cleveland's new Bus Rapid Transit line.

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #16
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

the station buildings are pretty horrible examples of postmodernism
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #17
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Do they plan more BRT lines in Cleveland?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #18
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Not at the moment no, but they are doing studies to expand the Red and Blue lines along with the new intermodal transportation center to connect the Rapid with Amtrak and the proposed commuter rail lines to Akron and Canton.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #19
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:

Which subway systems have services less than 20 minutes? I can't think of a single one outside of the United States actually...

Also, high service frequency is one of the prerequisites of being a metro system.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #20
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:

I don't know american standards for rapid transit, but in Europe the majority of metro trains run 3 - 5 minutes maximum.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleveland, light rail rapid transit, ohio