daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #61
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

geometarkv, Nexis liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #62
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I can't see any of those pics.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #63
Falubaz

You should, i can see them all.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #64
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

I see the pics, even when I am not logged in.

I am visiting Cleveland this weekend. I am interested in the HealthLine. The last time I was in Cleveland, the BRT was being built. I am interested in seeing BRT elements (as defined by the BRT standard) was incorporated in this line. The HealthLine is becoming somewhat of a poster child for North American BRT. It will be nice to see and ride it in person.
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #65
Falubaz

Take pictures!

Old October 8th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #66
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

Cleveland has done great things for its transit infrastructure lately. They are rebuilding many stations along the Red Line, the Green Line and Blue Line now run the whole route even on weekdays, and of course the HealthLine BRT.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #67
ssiguy2

The LRT/streetcar lobby HATE the Healthline BRT as it has proven that even in car dependent US where buses are seen as a last resort, BRT can get high ridership and create TOD at a fraction of the price of a streetcar.
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #68
Falubaz

You must be a very brave person to say this in public! They might get you soon for that statement

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #69
ssiguy2

I have many problems but a lack of balls isn't one of them.

Obviously Cleveland isn't lacking in the balls department either by shunning the LRT/streetcar lobby and building effective transit at a fraction of the cost.
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #70
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The LRT/streetcar lobby HATE the Healthline BRT as it has proven that even in car dependent US where buses are seen as a last resort, BRT can get high ridership and create TOD at a fraction of the price of a streetcar.
Ha You make every effort to bash LRT and streetcars and promote BRT! And on multiple messageboards too!

Just a few qoutes from you on some streetcar threads:

(Tucson thread)
Quote:
I hope the frequency will be high so it doesn't just become more of a tourist train than real transit.
(Kansas Thread)
Quote:
I understand the idea of a starter system but I think streetcars/LRT have become flavour of the month and are more for ribbon cutting ceremonies that true transit.

The problem isn't the streetcars themselves but rather if the system offers value for the dollar. These lines are expensive and most low density cities like KC would be far, far better served by an advanced BRT system. Not only would BRT cover many more areas but hundreds of thousands of more people.

BRT can definately create TOD as Cleveland's Healthline very much proves. BRTs are not only much cheaper but can equal of higher speeds, be more reliable, much more easily extended, can get rid of the dreaded "last mile" problem, and very importantly don't rob the system of precious funds.

Often these streetcar/LRT systems require such high operational subsidies that they rob the buses of needed funds................they rob Peter to pay Paul, and it is always the poor and transit dependent who pay the price with poorer bus service.

BRT often isn't as "sexy" as streetcars/LRT which is why politicians go for the later despite the fact that they wouldn't be caught dead taking it after the photo-ops are all done.
You're so antt-LRT/streetcar, it's astounding! You really can't fool anyone when you use terms like "LRT Lobby"(what?).

Now you're perfectly entitled to your criticism, but don't act as if you're some defender of poor ol' BRT against the evil LRTistas!

If anything, it's the BRT lobby that are making all sorts of claims, and transit advocates(who support BRT AND LRT) have to waste time explaining why both modes have merit.

I am not even going to comment on that report "More development dollars for you transit buck" I read it, and it's pretty bad. It's not worthy of consideration.

I'll try to take pics. It'll be Iphone pics, though.

Rail_Serbia, Manitopiaaa liked this post
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #71
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

RTA at Shaker Square

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3537 by wyliepoon, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3535 by wyliepoon, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3525 by wyliepoon, on Flickr

Rail_Serbia, Nexis, Le Clerk liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #72
ssiguy2

Cleveland, despite having a declining metro population, has consistently been one of the fastest growing systems in the US in terms of ridership. Cleveland is a model many US cities should emulate.
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #73
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

The Plain Dealer
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index..._decked_o.html

Quote:
RTA Red Line rail car decked out with new interior
By Alison Grant, The Plain Dealer

on December 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM, updated December 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- RTA riders can get their first look today at a refurbished Red Line car, on display at the rail station in Tower City.

All 40 Red Line cars are getting an interior re-do that includes upgraded seats, new windows and LED lighting to replace fluorescent lighting. Since cars are taken out of service to be renovated, the $3.5 million project will take two years to complete.

The first car to get a facelift is on display to the public starting at 1 p.m. today. Walk downstairs at Tower City to the rotunda and head to the Red Line entrance. The completed rail car will be there through 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The Red Line cars are being almost completely gutted, down to the flooring and subflooring, which is being replaced with fire-retardant material.

The remodeled interior includes newly painted wall panels and updated graphics and signage. A tan, brown and orange color scheme has been replaced with the same blue-and-gray decor of RTA's Blue and Green train lines. Vinyl seats are out, replaced with cloth seats with more padding.

There is also more space for strollers, bicycles and shopping carts. RTA says up to 50,000 people a year use its Rack-N-Roll program that allows bikes to be brought on board its rapid transit and the Euclid Avenue HealthLine, or loaded onto exterior racks on buses.

Employees of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority are handling all the work. The project is intended to extend the life of the Red Line fleet by 15 years. The redesign was based on comments by customers and RTA's Citizens Advisory Board.

RTA finished a five-year mechanical overhaul of its rail cars last year at a cost of $21.6 million.

The agency also rolled out improvements in the spring to what had been balky ticket-vending machines for its Red Line train and HealthLine bus route. The changes made the machines easier to read and tickets were dispensed after just three clicks, instead of seven clicks with instructions that were hard to follow.

The Red Line travels from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport northeast to the Louis Stokes Station at Windermere in East Cleveland. It serves West Park, Ohio City, downtown Cleveland, University Circle, Little Italy and other destinations.

RTA spokeswoman Mary Shaffer points out an expanded area in a refurbished Red Line rail car for bikes, strollers and passengers in wheelchairs, during a media preview at Tower City in Cleveland. The remodeled car is the first in a fleet of 40 Red Line cars to be outfitted with new seats, windows, LED lighting, fire-retardant flooring and other features over the next two years. (Marvin Fong/The Plain Dealer)

Casey Blaze, rail shop supervisor with RTA, walks through a newly renovated Red Line rail car. The car was almost completed gutted and fitted with new seats, wall panels, windows and lighting. The color scheme was changed to blue and gray, matching the look of RTA's HealthLine and its Blue Line cars.
Marvin Fong/The Plain Dealer

https://twitter.com/PatrickShepherd/...04953427349504

https://twitter.com/GCRTA/status/410427643188625408

https://twitter.com/AllAboardOhio/st.../photo/1/large
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #74
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6077

They did a poor job on the seating. My god that looks ugly.

CNB30 liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #75
ssiguy2

Although it's nice to see they are refurbishing the cars, why do the seats all face in one direction? Very odd.
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #76
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

They bought the seats from like 1995

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

aquaticko liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #77
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

The seats look fine but they look more like commuter rail seats than metro seats.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #78
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Nighttime at Shaker Square
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, shurik, Le Clerk liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote