daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #101
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Did the health line cannibalize ridership from the red line? It seems like the BRT line is what gets close to destinations and what a normal person would use most of the time if they lived on that side of town. The red line is what you would use if you wanted to go direct to downtown or further east. The short distance and lack of congestion would make the speed difference irrelevant. It would be great for TOD though. So many brownfields.

Suppose they did something extreme. Discontinue the western Red Line, make the eastern Red Line LRT and extend the Green and Blue lines to the airport. Then turn some of the modernized red line around university circle into a busway and connect it with Shaker Square.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; September 23rd, 2015 at 10:19 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #102
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Did the health line cannibalize ridership from the red line? It seems like the BRT line is what gets close to destinations and what a normal person would use most of the time if they lived on that side of town. The red line is what you would use if you wanted to go direct to downtown or further east. The short distance and lack of congestion would make the speed difference irrelevant. It would be great for TOD though. So many brownfields.

It doesn't seems to be the case. HealthLine was opened in october 2008. Looking at older APTA ridership report you have the following:

2007: 5,908,000
2008: 5,929,000
2009: 5,156,000
2010: 5,065,000
2011: 5,687,000
2012: 6,239,000
2013: 6,422,000
2014: 6,202,000

So, although it did had lower ridership in the two years inmediately following the opening of HealthLine (about 12-14% less) from 2011 it increases again and from 2012 goes even higher than in 2007 - 2008. Maybe the lower ridership during 2009-2010 was because of the recession.

By the way, there is a discrepancy in the figures of APTA, in 2007 report, they give over 7 million for 2007, but in the 2008 report they give less than 6 million for the same year (each report shows the figures of its own year and the year before, in order to compare each other, so 2008 report, gives the figures of 2008 and 2007) for 2007, I choose the figure of the 2008 report.

I think HealthLine really does not competes with the Red Line, only the three last stations, out of 18, follow the same route than HealthLine. the rest of both lines serve different areas, and other than compete, they complement each other, giving people the posibility to transfer to each other and reach different areas.

But anyway, the Red Line route only touches Downtown tangentially, and doesn't seem to go to many interesting places, mostly low density residential or industrial areas, where the patrons are not much likely to get the stations by foot, but by bus or car, using the park and ride lots that most stations have. Looking in GE, other that the one in Downtown, one of the few stations that seems to be in a more urban area with possibility of foot traffic is the recently opened in Little Italy. (much better location that the older one it replaced, that was one long block north) Also the one at the University, but it would have been better located one block north at Adelbert Rd, where you would have get off just at the hearth of that University.

Another exception could be the station at West 25th-Ohio City, and of course, it gets you to the airport (By the way the first rapid system to do so in the western hemisphere) But in most other stations, the train seems to leave you just in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe since it was opened in 1955, just when Cleveland began its decline, losing 500,000 of its 900,000 residents it just couldn't serve as a catalyst of development in the vicinity of the stations.

zaphod, geometarkv, pudgym29 liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #103
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1033

Yes, Cleveland's peak was pretty glorious, but very brief. And in the urban planning master's program I was in, we talked about the Opportunity Corridor development, and all the brownfields it went through or by, and how much potential that they have, and yet how expensive they would be to rehabilitate, and how hard it is to justify that kind of investment without a lot of pent-up demand (outside of downtown, a lot of the demand was for industrial land, which is obviously not what people like to see).

Once again: so much history, so much potential, so little justifiable hope.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #104
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

A lot of cities redevelopment plans are being held up by expensive Environmental clean ups of Brownfield sites. Its a shame because a lot of these plans would partial restore some of the former glory these cities once had and boost transit ridership.
Visit the New Jersey Section

aquaticko, pudgym29 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #105
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Second Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Cleveland

Light Rail
Cleveland / RTA Blue & Green lines - 7,450 (2015) : -6.40%

Bus Ridership
Cleveland / RTA Bus - 104,233 (2015) : -3.82%

Heavy Rail
Cleveland / Red Line - 14,403 (2014) : 2.56% +
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #106
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

Official from RTA:

Quote:
http://www.riderta.com/news/nov-6-20...t-rail-funding

Statement by RTA GM Joe Calabrese about rail funding
Nov. 6, 2015

CLEVELAND -- Today, Joe Calabrese, CEO and General Manager of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA), released this statement concerning the future of rail funding in Cleveland

Over the past 5 years, RTA has invested $140 million in rail infrastructure, and we have a capital plan that calls for investing $110 million more over the next 5 years. This alone offers ample evidence of our commitment to maintain, and not abandon, our rail network.

But that’s just a small snapshot of other efforts recently completed or on the way.
  • In 2014, RTA opened the Cedar-University Red Line Station.
  • In 2015, RTA opened the Little Italy-University Circle Station in 2015.
  • The Lee-Van Aken Station will open by year's end.
  • The Brookpark Station is now under construction, to be completed in 2016.
  • Design is underway for stations both at East 116th St. and East 34th St

geometarkv, pudgym29 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #107
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

2015.12.22 - new "Lee - Van Aken" station on Blue Line in Shaker Heights dedicated

http://www.riderta.com/news/rta-dedi...tion-blue-line

Source: cleveland.com (http://photos.cleveland.com/plain-de...ken_sta_1.html)

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #108
dimlys1994

New Gillig Trolleys for Cleveland:
https://www.facebook.com/riderta/?fref=nf

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman, pudgym29, geometarkv liked this post
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #109
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Cleveland RTA Frequent Transit by OctaviusIII, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #110
dimlys1994

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:40 AM   #111
matio69

Likes (Received): 11

If we were a rich-land....
Greater Cleveland Public Transportation Plan***

*** This is my private, subjective, total lay-man, unobstructed view on how I see public transportation developing in Greater Cleveland. Constructive criticism is welcome (i.e. how to makes things better), other criticism (i.e. this line is stupid) is not.

dimlys1994, UrbanImpact, Nexis, pudgym29 liked this post
matio69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:22 PM   #112
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Are there any extensions planned?
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #113
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by matio69 View Post
If we were a rich-land....
Greater Cleveland Public Transportation Plan***

*** This is my private, subjective, total lay-man, unobstructed view on how I see public transportation developing in Greater Cleveland. Constructive criticism is welcome (i.e. how to makes things better), other criticism (i.e. this line is stupid) is not.
I like it , will the commuter rail be diesel or electric?
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #114
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Considering that the lines extend farther from Cleveland than GO or Metra's lines extend from Toronto or Chicago, I can hardly imagine it would be cost effective for the amount of ridership, whether they could afford to do it or not.

I mean , some of them extend for over 100km. That's a commuter catchment one would expect from a much larger city.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #115
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Are there no hope for the Redmetroline?

I would like too see the opening.

It is a pitty for Cleveland
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #116
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I don't understand the light ridership on the Red Line when it goes right to the airport.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #117
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

because airports actually aren't large transit generators.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #118
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
because airports actually aren't large transit generators.
Well, the question is of course where passengers are wanting to go when they leave the airport. If they are heading for destinations outside the CBD - which I am guessing is the case in sprawling Cleveland - a subway to CBD won't attract much ridership.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #119
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
Well, the question is of course where passengers are wanting to go when they leave the airport. If they are heading for destinations outside the CBD - which I am guessing is the case in sprawling Cleveland - a subway to CBD won't attract much ridership.
vast majority of transit traffic to airport involves airport employees, not airplane passengers
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #120
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
vast majority of transit traffic to airport involves airport employees, not airplane passengers
Well, there is of course a reason why some airports in the US have a 20 % share of public transport while Cleveland has mere 6 % (Source, statistics from 2005). Later on, the same source mentions a drastic decline of the share of public transport for Cleveland airport. My guess is that expanding sprawl of northern Ohio region have made public transport a less viable form of transport as it does not reach the destinations people want to go. I'm certain there's an analysis about travel patterns for passengers arriving in Cleveland somewhere but I don't have time to find it.

There's no general rule at all that airport passengers should not use public transport.
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleveland, light rail rapid transit, ohio