daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #61
Victor Cezar

Likes (Received): 0

Cracking thread, Tchello! Those beautiful pictures can really capture the essence of the city - and, as you probably know, due to many diverse reasons that's a hard thing. Congratulations.

And yes, São Paulo is the most cosmpolitan city in Latin America and probably in the South Hemisphere. I'm not saying it's a quality or something (well, for me it is), but it's a fact indeed. You just need to walk around and you'll see people from so many different backgrounds (Italian, Japanese, German, Portuguese, Lebanese, Jewish people...)... and when you go to a place like Liberdade (the Japanese neighbourhood) and you see the Japanese Immigration Museum, sorry there's just no doubt about the whole thing, you can just feel how each part makes the whole the way it is today.

Still, I love Buenos Aires and all the cities you guys have mentioned (Santiago, Mexico City, I reckon... sorry if I forgot any other of them). Hope you don't get it wrong.
Victor Cezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #62
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchelllo View Post
Spanish Community in São Paulo

I would be there if I lived in Sao Paulo. Champions of the world!

WOnderful thread and pictures!!!Very interesting seeing so many churches.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM   #63
Doug_ata
Não à cultura do oiti!

Likes (Received): 1831

Excelent thread!!
Tchelllo, faltou os lituanos!=P
Doug_ata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:25 AM   #64
lusorod
LUSOROD

Likes (Received): 1186

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I don't find SP any more cosmopolitan than BA or Mexico City, and in my opinion, it's not nearly as beautiful as those cities or Santiago for that matter.

SP reminds me a lot of Los Angeles, and hopefully, as Brazil's economy booms, SP and Rio will rebuild as Los Angeles is doing.

I do like this, however.

São Paulo is actually more cosmopolitan than Mexico City and Buenos Aires. It is more ethnic diverse than both cities combined. Although I think that Buenos Aires is indeed more beaultiful, whereas São Paulo is still getting there. The city is still under formation, not consolidated at all like BA or Santiago.

((((((((((MUITO AMOR NA SUA ALMA))))))))))))))))
lusorod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM   #65
lusorod
LUSOROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I am English American. My mom is a UK citizen, and I was born and raised in the US.

I have been to every city I mentioned, and my father-in-law lives in SP. Sorry, but as long as you want to be insulting, the city is the ugliest I have ever been to. Also, BA has a wide variety of ethnicities, and Mexico City, like BA, is quite liberal.
The ugliest I've ever been to is called Detroit....that one if difficult to beat. São Paulo used to be very european and all, much like Buenos Aires. It is a shame what the modernists have done to the city. Despite that I was raised in America myself and have been to Mexico City, Santiago and Buenos Aires. I love them all....but still prefer São Paulo. For the nightlife, shopping, the restaurants....the city could be much prettier, but as Brazil develops it will get there. Thsi is South America´s megalopolis. Try to understand it before you judge it. The city's dynamic is going to change a lot in the next few years. São Paulo of 2030 will not be anything like the São Paulo of today.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM   #66
lusorod
LUSOROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARG View Post
GREAT PICS.BUT TOO BE HONEST I ONLY SEE A FEW ASIAN,BLACKS AND BRASILIANS FACES,I DON'T SEE MIXED FACES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD(COMPARE TO NEW YORK OR LONDON STREETS FOR EX.)THAT ALONE DOES NOT MAKE SP A COSMOPOLITAN CITY.
TO ME RIO DE JANEIRO IS FAR MORE COSMOPOLITAN LIKE BUENOS AIRES A TRUE INTERNACIONAL AND DIVERSE MEGACITY.TAKE A B.A.PHONE BOOK AND LOOK FOR LAST NAMES.
BUT LETS PUT IT THIS WAY:SAO PAULO=TOKYO,RIO=SAN FRANSISCO/HONK KONG AND
BUENOS AIRES=PARIS/MADRID/BERLIN WITH A TOUCH OF NEW YORK IN ONE.
A COSMOPOLITAN CITY IS NOT JUST FACES IS ALSO A WAY OF LIFE!
London and NYC are more ethnic diverse at the moment. São Paulo used to be like that too, but immigration to Brazil virtually stopped during the dictatorship we had here for a few decades. Once the dictatorship years ended the country was in such an economic mess!!! It took us 2 decades to get out of hiperinflation and chaos...which didnt attract many immigrants either. Thing is... São Paulo definatelly is the most ethnic diverse city in Latin America, but in Brazil due to the mixture and more relaxed culture ( when it comes to ethnicity and stuff) people tend not to go to extremes. São Paulo has a very, very large arab community, but mostly catholics so the arabs here dont wear burkas, Immigration here is a bit old. Unlike what you said, if you pick a phonebook in São Paulo you will find huge variety of names from all over the place. Since the economy's been doing well again, more and more foreigners have moved here. I myself share my place with a British guy from Leeds, England. An American lives on the 3rd floor and one of my neighbors comes from India....so there you have it!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:50 AM   #67
lusorod
LUSOROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksionrze View Post
He probably meant a mixed race mestizo
LOL there are mixed "race" faces all over the Americas. People from all over came here....so I am still curious to see a Brazilian face. As far as I know anyone can be Brazilian. Its not about the looks, but about the clothes and body language or by how tanned someone is that we can tell if someone is foreign. (races dont exist, it is geneticaly proven, there is one race, the human race wake up people! Peace)

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM   #68
lusorod
LUSOROD

Adorei esse thread, muito bom....

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #69
JoseRodolfo
NON DVCOR DVCO

Likes (Received): 91

Really nice!
JoseRodolfo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM   #70
SVN2007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusorod View Post
The ugliest I've ever been to is called Detroit....that one if difficult to beat. São Paulo used to be very european and all, much like Buenos Aires. It is a shame what the modernists have done to the city. Despite that I was raised in America myself and have been to Mexico City, Santiago and Buenos Aires. I love them all....but still prefer São Paulo. For the nightlife, shopping, the restaurants....the city could be much prettier, but as Brazil develops it will get there. Thsi is South America´s megalopolis. Try to understand it before you judge it. The city's dynamic is going to change a lot in the next few years. São Paulo of 2030 will not be anything like the São Paulo of today.
perfect your comments.
SVN2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM   #71
.for.ce.br
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

São Paulo city has people from all over the world, including from Ceará!

Show me some "flat head" cearenses from the São Miguel Paulista neighbourhood! In every corner of the world you can find a cearense!
.for.ce.br no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM   #72
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 2970

Quote:
The city's dynamic is going to change a lot in the next few years. São Paulo of 2030 will not be anything like the São Paulo of today.
What do you mean? In what ways?

Very nice thread, im amazed of how diverse this city is. Despite it's more beautiful or uglier than other cities, im sure SP is a must go in Brazil. Wanna go there if i have the chance.
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM   #73
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
LOL there are mixed "race" faces all over the Americas. People from all over came here....so I am still curious to see a Brazilian face. As far as I know anyone can be Brazilian. Its not about the looks, but about the clothes and body language or by how tanned someone is that we can tell if someone is foreign. (races dont exist, it is geneticaly proven, there is one race, the human race wake up people! Peace)
Totally agree with this statement... But yeah, I do think Sao Paulo is probably the most cosmopolitan in Latin America.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #74
jefferson2

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
ive never seen a place that can beat detroit either, they have too much old architecture and beautiful buildings, and a unique character

im my opinion, buenos aires has a more european look and atmosphere, whereas sao paulo has a more 'american' atmosphere. The modernist and brutalist buildings are central to sao paulo, it's a new and developing place, how many people did it have in 1900? probably at least 10 times less than now
jefferson2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM   #75
marceloffbh

Likes (Received): 2

I'm really enjoying your pics! It's amazing how the city is diverse and how some trolls are trying to destroy your thread.

Keep the good work and good luck!
marceloffbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #76
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Cezar View Post
Cracking thread, Tchello! Those beautiful pictures can really capture the essence of the city - and, as you probably know, due to many diverse reasons that's a hard thing. Congratulations.

And yes, São Paulo is the most cosmpolitan city in Latin America and probably in the South Hemisphere. I'm not saying it's a quality or something (well, for me it is), but it's a fact indeed. You just need to walk around and you'll see people from so many different backgrounds (Italian, Japanese, German, Portuguese, Lebanese, Jewish people...)... and when you go to a place like Liberdade (the Japanese neighbourhood) and you see the Japanese Immigration Museum, sorry there's just no doubt about the whole thing, you can just feel how each part makes the whole the way it is today.

Still, I love Buenos Aires and all the cities you guys have mentioned (Santiago, Mexico City, I reckon... sorry if I forgot any other of them). Hope you don't get it wrong.
change portuguese by spanish and it's the same in BA.
but there are huge comunities from every latinamerican country in BA.

there wasn't black people a few years ago, but is plenty of dominicans and africans from different countries now in BA.
this is from wikipedia:

The majority of porteños have European origins, with Italian and Spanish descent being the most common, from the Calabrian, Ligurian, Piedmont, Lombardy and Neapolitan regions of Italy and from the Galician, Asturian, and Basque regions of Spain.[18][19]
Other European origins include German, Swedish, Dutch, Greek, Irish, Norwegian, Portuguese, French, Russian, Croatian, English and Welsh. In the 1990s there was a small wave of immigration from Romania and Ukraine.[20] There is a minority of old criollo stock, dating back to the Spanish colonial days. The Criollo and Spanish-aboriginal (mestizo) population in the city has increased mostly as a result of immigration, from countries such as Bolivia, Peru and Paraguay, since the second half of the 20th century.
Important Syrian-Lebanese and Armenian communities have had a significant presence in commerce and civic life since the beginning of the 20th century.
The Jewish community in Greater Buenos Aires numbers around 250,000, and is the largest in Latin America. Most are of Northern and Eastern European Ashkenazi origin, primarily Russian, German and Polish Jews, with a significant Sephardic minority, mostly made up of Syrian Jews.[21]
The first major East Asian community in Buenos Aires was the Japanese, mainly from Okinawa. Traditionally, Japanese-Argentines were noted as flower growers; in the city proper, there was a Japanese near-monopoly in dry cleaning. Later generations have branched out into all fields of economic activity. Starting in the 1970s there has been an important influx of immigration from China and Korea."

Since 2004 an increasing number of American and British citizens are moving to Buenos Aires, possibly due to the lower cost of living, many of them opening up businesses and some restaurants have become English-speaking favourites.[22]"

In BA there is a couple of jewish neighbourhouds, 2 german ones, a korean, an armenian, chinese, bolivian, peruvian, paragayan, several english, and comunities from where ever in the world in mixed neighbourhoods.
there are 10.000 colombian students and more than 5.000 equatorians, and more and more africans and centralamericans every year.

I've been to SP at least ten times and didn't find it that cosmopolitan.
It is certainly comspolitan but not as much as BA.
And Mexico city is not cosmopolitan at all.

I don't like BA being cosmopolitan, For me cosmopolitan is a negative caracteristic, I prefer homogenous societies like in inner Argentina or southern brazilean cities or eastern Europe where everybody is the same etnically and culturally.

But I must recognise BA is much more cosmopolitan than SP, even if I don't like this caracteristic of the city.

Last edited by Luli Pop; November 22nd, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM   #77
mironga_110

Likes (Received): 45739

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson2 View Post
ive never seen a place that can beat detroit either, they have too much old architecture and beautiful buildings, and a unique character

im my opinion, buenos aires has a more european look and atmosphere, whereas sao paulo has a more 'american' atmosphere. The modernist and brutalist buildings are central to sao paulo, it's a new and developing place, how many people did it have in 1900? probably at least 10 times less than now

Hey man , I agree with u !!!!!
mironga_110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:12 AM   #78
mironga_110

Likes (Received): 45739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
change portuguese by spanish and it's the same in BA.
but there are huge comunities from every latinamerican country in BA.

there wasn't black people a few years ago, but is plenty of dominicans and africans from different countries now in BA.
this is from wikipedia:

The majority of porteños have European origins, with Italian and Spanish descent being the most common, from the Calabrian, Ligurian, Piedmont, Lombardy and Neapolitan regions of Italy and from the Galician, Asturian, and Basque regions of Spain.[18][19]
Other European origins include German, Swedish, Dutch, Greek, Irish, Norwegian, Portuguese, French, Russian, Croatian, English and Welsh. In the 1990s there was a small wave of immigration from Romania and Ukraine.[20] There is a minority of old criollo stock, dating back to the Spanish colonial days. The Criollo and Spanish-aboriginal (mestizo) population in the city has increased mostly as a result of immigration, from countries such as Bolivia, Peru and Paraguay, since the second half of the 20th century.
Important Syrian-Lebanese and Armenian communities have had a significant presence in commerce and civic life since the beginning of the 20th century.
The Jewish community in Greater Buenos Aires numbers around 250,000, and is the largest in Latin America. Most are of Northern and Eastern European Ashkenazi origin, primarily Russian, German and Polish Jews, with a significant Sephardic minority, mostly made up of Syrian Jews.[21]
The first major East Asian community in Buenos Aires was the Japanese, mainly from Okinawa. Traditionally, Japanese-Argentines were noted as flower growers; in the city proper, there was a Japanese near-monopoly in dry cleaning. Later generations have branched out into all fields of economic activity. Starting in the 1970s there has been an important influx of immigration from China and Korea."

Since 2004 an increasing number of American and British citizens are moving to Buenos Aires, possibly due to the lower cost of living, many of them opening up businesses and some restaurants have become English-speaking favourites.[22]"

In BA there is a couple of jewish neighbourhouds, 2 german ones, a korean, an armenian, chinese, bolivian, peruvian, paragayan, several english, and comunities from where ever in the world in mixed neighbourhoods.
there are 10.000 colombian students and more than 5.000 equatorians, and more and more africans and centralamericans every year.

I've been to SP at least ten times and didn't find it that cosmopolitan.
It is certainly comspolitan but not as much as BA.
And Mexico city is not cosmopolitan at all.

I don't like BA being cosmopolitan, For me cosmopolitan is a negative caracteristic, I prefer homogenous societies like in inner Argentina or southern brazilean cities or eastern Europe where everybody is the same etnically and culturally.

But I must recognise BA is much more cosmopolitan than SP, even if I don't like this caracteristic of the city.

I would really like to hear what Argentine ” whites” think of them...

Juan Sebastian Veron - White or Mixed???
Maradona - White or mixed ????
Carlos Tevez (Carlitos ) - White or Mixed ???
Juan Román Riquelme - White or Mixed ???
Darío Conca - White or Mixed ????
Pablo Guiñazú - White or Mixed ?? etc , etc , etc ...

Examples of Argentinian mestizos:
Carlos Tevez, Diego Maradona, Camoranesi, Hernan Crespo (soccer players)
Carolina Ardohain, Carla Conte, Karina Jelinek, Mariana de Melo (models)
Carlos "La Mona "Jimenez, Daniel Agostini, Ariel Casco ( cumbia singers)
Mercedes Sosa, Victor Heredia, Luciano Pereyra ( folk singers)

Argentina is not just Buenos Aires and it is certainly NOT totally European. There are more than 20 provinces in many different climates, there are still Mapuches, Guaranis, Afro Argentinians.
Well , I think there's many many many mestizos in Argentina !!!
I believe that millions of Argentines are mestizos .

Ops !!!! Certainly millions of Argentines are mestizos

Last edited by mironga_110; November 23rd, 2010 at 01:31 AM.
mironga_110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #79
Karabuy
Non dvcor dvco

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post

Karabuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #80
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4163

São Paulo is certainly the most cosmopolitan city in Latina America and one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.
Cauê no está en línea   Reply With Quote