daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Highways and Roadways

Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:23 AM   #41
muzic_lover2981
jon

Likes (Received): 7

Code:
fear leads to anger~anger leads to hate~hate leads to suffering
Hindi ba quote ng Stars Wars Part II yan?
muzic_lover2981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:59 AM   #42
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

i think it was yoda the man.
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #43
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Likes (Received): 27

WOW! thanks for the article and images.

is Aurora province now part of Central Luzon (Region 3)? i hope all this development will also spread to the north in the future.

this may be out of topic but, i read some articles from the web that sen. pimentel's proposals for the constitutional change will result to 10 federal states (including the Bangsa Moro Federal State in Mindanao), which means existing regions today will be merged (ie, regions 1 & 2 into something like Ilocano Federal State) do u guys think federalism will spur more development in other parts of the country?

EDIT: i checked www.nscb.gov.ph and Aurora is indeed part of Region 3.

Last edited by tyronne; November 7th, 2004 at 12:21 AM.
tyronne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #44
rico
Bulakeño in Tokyo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronne

is Aurora province now part of Central Luzon (Region 3)? i hope all this development will also spread to the north in the future.

this may be out of topic but, i read some articles from the web that sen. pimentel's proposals for the constitutional change will result to 10 federal states (including the Bangsa Moro Federal State in Mindanao), which means existing regions today will be merged (ie, regions 1 & 2 into something like Ilocano Federal State) do u guys think federalism will spur more development in other parts of the country?

Ilocano Federal State... sounds so cool. I never really did like the Region X numbering system we have now. So impersonal assigning numbers to regions.

If I were to divide the Philippines into federal states. I would divide the country based on major dialects... Ilocos. Katagalugan. Bisaya, etc. Then we can really see some good competition between the federal states.

And as we all know... competition is always good for the economy.
rico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #45
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

Former AFP chief Abaya assumes post as new BCDA prexy

Former Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff and retired General Narciso L. Abaya assumed his new civilian post as president and chief operating officer of the state-owned Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA), a company statement issued Wednesday said.

Mr. Abaya assumed his post last November 8 after being sworn in to office by Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita earlier in the day at Malacañang.

Mr. Abaya brings with him a wide array of skills and experiences in corporate governance. Even though retired from the military service, Mr. Abaya will still continue to work for the welfare of the AFP by ensuring the continuous flow of funds for the AFP's modernization program.

Under Republic Act 7227, the law which created the BCDA, it is mandated to remit to the National Treasury 35 percent of the proceeds from the sale of former military baselands and 50 percent of proceeds from lease of former military baselands for the AFP modernization fund.

Mr. Abaya is also expected to champion BCDA's flagship project -- the 94.5 km Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway Project (SCTEP). The project is in line President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's 10-point agenda of decongesting Metro Manila and establishing Clark Special Economic Zone and the Subic Bay Freeport Zone as centers of excellence in international service and logistics in the entire Southeast Asia.

The PhP27.5 billion expressway is expected to reduce the travel time from Clark to Subic to a mere 30 minutes. Travel time from Clark to Hacienda Lusita in Tarlac will likewise be reduced to a mere 20-minute drive.

The construction of the modern expressway project, pegged at PhP21 billion, will be financed through a special yen loan from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). The loan terms include 0.95 percent per annum interest rate, 40 years repayment period, ten years grace period, and 50 percent Japanese content requirement.

The BCDA, on the other hand, will infuse PhP6.5 billion to cover right-of-way (ROW) acquisition, general administration, taxes and duties, and other various programs related to the project.

The 94.5-km elevated four-lane asphalt concrete pavement (ACP) with asphalt overlay expressway project, similar to the newly renovated North Luzon Expressway, is divided into two packages. Package I, the Subic-Clark section is 50.5-km long while Package II, the Clark-Tarlac section is 44-km long. Construction of the modern expressway has been scheduled for January 2005.

Mr. Abaya is a graduate of the US Military Academy in West Point, New York, USA. At West Point, he was a consistent dean's lister and has distinguished himself as the only Filipino cadet thus far who has held the rank of cadet captain in the United States Corps of Cadets.

He holds a Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Lehigh University, Betlehem, Pennsylvania, USA and topped the Civil Engineering Board Examination in 1974. He also holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of the Philippines, Quezon City where he graduated with honors in 1980. -- AFP
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #46
tiltshift

Any news when this'll start... a stretch of fresh pavement worth 94+KM sounds yummy.
tiltshift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #47
ryanr
Registered non-User

Well, in the article i posted above it says "Construction of the modern expressway has been scheduled for January 2005."
Old November 20th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #48
renell
Here Since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronne

I thought Aurora province was somewhere down south? therefore it being in the Southern Luzon Region, along with Rizal, Quezon, Laguna etc.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #49
ryanr
Registered non-User

Althought not directly about the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway project, here is a bit of bad news. But answers several questions raised earlier.

Tollway firm abandons plans for direct Subic-NLEx link

Plans to create a new toll road directly linking Subic to the North Luzon Expressway (NLEx) have been temporarily shelved by Manila North Tollways Corp. (MNTC).

MNTC officials said current traffic from Pampanga to Subic does not require two direct roads considering the Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) is also planning to build another road.

"If the BCDA pushes through with the Subic-Clark-Tarlac project, then we see no reason as of the moment to push through with our project," MNTC President Jose de Jesus told BusinessWorld.

The MNTC has a 30-year concession to create three toll roads aimed at creating a seamless connection from provinces in the northern part of Luzon to Metro Manila.

The Lopez-led firm is currently completing the PhP10-billion rehabilitation and modernization of the 84-kilometer NLEx. The MNTC finished its first project, the Tipo Toll Road in Subic, in 1998. Under the MNTC's original plan, another toll road will link the Tipo road to the NLEx.

"Even if the BCDA does not directly connect NLEx to its toll road, it would still not make sense to make another toll road to Subic," said Anthony Mabasa, president of the Toll Management Corp. which will operate the NLEx on behalf of the MNTC.

The BCDA has approved the PhP20.97 billion final cost for the 94.5-kilometer Subic-Clark-Tarlac expressway. Two-year construction is expected to start in January.

The Subic-Clark-Tarlac expressway is expected to transform the region into an international logistics center. It aims to connect three major growth areas: Subic Bay, Clark, and the Luisita Industrial Park.

The toll road will be integrated with the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in Clark and the Subic Bay Freeport under the Subic-Clark Alliance for Development.

Initial estimates show an expressway will cut travel time between the seaport and the airport to 30 minutes from the current one hour to one and a half hours.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #50
renell
Here Since 2002

I believe that's one of the phases in this diagram in the NLEX thread. well only temporarily i supposed. not much to rant on really.
Old December 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #51
ryanr
Registered non-User

Yeah...its not horrible news. Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway is supposed to link to NLEX anyways.
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #52
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
I thought Aurora province was somewhere down south? therefore it being in the Southern Luzon Region, along with Rizal, Quezon, Laguna etc.
Aurora is basically in the eastern part of Luzon (north of Quezon, south of Isabela and east of Quirino and N. Ecija). looking at its location on the map, it would make sense if Aurora integrates with Central Luzon region. i guess the reason why it used to belong to the southern tagalog region is that Aurora used to be a part of Quezon province. please correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by tyronne; December 13th, 2004 at 10:33 PM.
tyronne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #53
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 154

@tyronne.. yup i think you're right... Aurora used to be part of Quezon.. or rather Quezon used to be part of Aurora before Tayabas became Quezon province...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #54
renell
Here Since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyX
Yeah...its not horrible news. Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway is supposed to link to NLEX anyways.
yeah probably.. is that sure thing?
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #55
absent-minded

the article did state it's temporarily shelved, so I guess it's not too big a problem right now. considering the fiscal situation the country is currently saddled with, I guess it is practical to set it aside for now - especially as they see no vital need for it. even if it can be afforded, there is no point when it's just gonna lose money.

hopefully, the SCTex will link to NLEX...
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #56
ryanr
Registered non-User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
yeah probably.. is that sure thing?
uh...its very likely.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #57
renell
Here Since 2002

would that be on the top end of NLEX? or one of the phases that will go to Subic, which will probably come to the same route as SCTEX
Old December 15th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #58
absent-minded

Funding for SCT highway project awaits JBIC okay
By Marianne V. Go | The Philippine Star | 12/15/2004

The Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) has still not given its concurrence for the financing of the 94.5 kilometer Subic-Clark-Tarlac (SCT) expressway project because of concerns about the Bureau of Internal Revenue’s (BIR) insistence on the collection of value-added tax (VAT) on importations made by foreign contractors and Philippine counterpart funding for the project.

According to Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) vice president for operations Antonio Rex Chan, the delay in the JBIC concurrence has pushed back the awarding of the civil works component of the SCTEP to the Japanese consortia Kojima-Obayashi-JSE Engineering-Mitsubishi Steel (KOJM) Joint Venture and the Hazama-Taisei-Nippon Joint Venture.

KOJM and the HTN have agreed to undertake the SCTEP construction at a cost of P20.97 billion.

The awarding was supposed to have been made last month.

Chan disclosed JBIC is asking the BCDA to first resolve the BIR tax issue either by seeking a deferment of the tax payment to the BIR or with the BCDA advancing the payment first to the BIR so that the project can proceed as scheduled.

The taxes involved would amount to a total of P2.3 billion over a three year period or an initial P700 million for 2005 alone.

Likewise, JBIC also wants the BCDA to ensure the counterpart funding.

The BCDA is hopeful that the JBIC concurrence would still be given before the year ends so that the timetable for the ground-breaking for the project by January 2005 would still be met.

Package 1, which will cost P12.7 billion, will cover the construction of the Subic to Clark portion and which will be undertaken by the KOJM Group.

Package 2, which will cost P8.2 billion, will cover the construction of the Clark to Tarlac portion and will be undertaken by the HTN Group.

Both packages, Chan said, would be undertaken at the same time so as not to further delay the road project which will connect the two former US military bases.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bad news: further delay because of conflicts yet again with the government and the investors. sigh.. haha! hopefully, they will be able to successfully resolve this ASAP.

good news: once it does finally get started, phase 1 and 2 will be worked on at the same time. I guess that reduces the risk of having either one of the two being shelved after the first is completed.
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #59
ryanr
Registered non-User

Tax financing issue remaining hurdle to expressway project

The Japanese agency funding the PhP20.97-billion Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway Project wants the government to take care of value-added taxes (VAT) and import duties to be incurred prior to giving its go-signal for the construction of the 94.5-kilometer (km) tollway.

Officials of the state-run Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA), which is spearheading the project, said concurrence of the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) is the remaining hurdle. They clarified, however, that the tax issue will not scuttle the deal.

Tokyo is expected to deliver its concurrence within the week and once it is sealed, contracts will be awarded to the winning bidders in time for groundbreaking ceremonies scheduled in January, said Antonio Rex Chan, BCDA vice-president for operations.

"JBIC wants an assurance on the financing of the taxes," the BCDA official told reporters.

The issue of taxes is a major concern among Japanese businessmen, as firms that paid VAT and import duties in the past are having a hard time getting a refund from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).

Loan agreements for official development assistance-funded projects typically require the government to refund the taxes as they are not by law exempt from payment.

Mr. Chan said VAT and import duties for the Subic-Clark-Tarlac tollway construction have been included in the 2005 budget, which is still pending in Congress.

Estimated payments for next year total PhP700 million.

Arrangements are also being made with the BIR for a deferment of tax payments, Mr. Chan said. In any case, the BCDA can advance the amount, he added.

"That could not be a deal-breaker," he said.

The government had to seek the JBIC's nod after adjusting the project cost downward from the original contractors' bid of PhP27 billion, which is 35% or PhP6 billion more than the approved budget for contract.

The BCDA board approved the final cost of the civil works component in October after negotiating with the winning bidders to keep the price tag below PhP21 billion upon the order of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

The winning bidders are Japanese consortia Kojima-Obayashi-JSE Engineering-Mitsubishi Steel or KOJM Joint Venture, which agreed to the contract amount of PhP12.7 billion for Package 1 (Subic to Clark) and the Hazama-Taisei-Nippon Joint Venture, which agreed to PhP8.2 billion for Package 2 (Clark to Tarlac).

What will be the country's longest tollway is to be 85% funded by a 40-year loan agreement between the Japanese government through the JBIC and the Philippine government at an interest rate of 0.95% with a 10-year grace period on principal. The BCDA will raise the remaining 15%.

Package 1 stretches 50.5 km from the Subic Freeport to the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in Clark, Pampanga and will have three major bridges, two interchanges, two minor bridges, 140 culverts, and 38 underpasses.

Package 2 is 43.1 km long from Clark to Luisita Industrial Park in Tarlac and will have one major bridge, six interchanges, eight minor bridges, 110 culverts, and 13 underpasses. -- Felipe F. Salvosa II
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #60
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Subic-Clark toll road plan seen pushing through as sched

Posted: 3:14 AM | Dec. 21, 2004

Inquirer News Service
www.inq7.net

ANGELES CITY -- The presidential adviser for the Subic-Clark Growth Alliance said the implementation of the P21-billion Subic-Clark-Tarlac toll road project was expected to push through without hitches.

"I'm optimistic because it's mostly procedural matter and we have not heard any negative reactions from the local representatives of the JBIC [Japan Bank for International Cooperation]," said Francisco Licuanan, in reaction to reports that the JBIC, which is funding the road project, was rethinking its commitment.

Licuanan, also chair of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority, said "nothing was unusual" about the JBIC review of the financial viability and funding capability of the Bases Conversion Development Authority as a borrower. "It's a matter of procedure," he said.

About 85 percent of the road project cost will be financed through a 41.9-billion yen loan.

The JBIC, according to reports, withheld its approval for the project because it wanted to first get assurance that it would not pay for construction-related taxes and duties worth P2.3 billion.

The 94.5-kilometer road will connect the two former American military bases that have been developed into special economic zones.

The Subic Bay Freeport Zone in Zambales and the Clark Special Economic Zone in Pampanga possess infrastructure network that, when connected, could strengthen the potentials for growth of Central Luzon.

Under the 10-point program of the Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo administration, Subic and Clark are envisioned as leading logistics, transport and warehouse hub in Southeast Asia. Tonette Orejas