daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Highways and Roadways

Old December 21st, 2004, 04:41 AM   #61
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

good
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM   #62
ggmac

Likes (Received): 0

Cost of building expressways (Benchmarking)

Here's a 2004 article from China:

An expressway is probably the second most expensive mode of transportation in terms of initial construction cost, next to a subway. The current cost in China ranges from 11 million yuan (US$1.3 million) per kilometer on the recently completed Guwang Expressway in Ningxia to 115 million yuan (US$13.8 million) per kilometer on the one leading from downtown Guangzhou to the city's new airport.

Cost varies from 42.5 million yuan (US$5.1 million) per kilometer on average in Guangdong to 29 million yuan (US$3.5 million) in Fujian.

There were no modern expressways on the Chinese mainland 20 years ago. The first one, an 18.5-kilometer stretch in a Shanghai suburb, was completed in 1988. But since then there has been a construction craze. In 2003 alone, 4,639 kilometers were added. China now has the world's second longest network of expressways: 29,800 kilometers at the end of 2003. The plan is to extend it to 70,000 kilometers by 2010.

If you multiply the per-kilometer cost by the length, you begin to understand the size of the industry and the magnitude of the money involved.

Here's the complete article: http://www.china.org.cn/english/2004/May/95298.htm

The article talks of corruption too in the form of bribes.
ggmac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #63
absent-minded

Construction of P26-B Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway seen in first half of '05 - Abaya

Roy Rosales
BCDA Press Release
Friday, January 07, 2005

With the recent signing by the state-owned Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) of a loan worth P1-billion with the Banco De Oro Universal Bank (BDO), the construction of the 93.7 km Subic-Clark Tarlac Expressway Project (SCTEP) is expected to start within the first half of the year, BCDA President/CEO Narciso Abaya said.

"We expect construction of the 93.7 km expressway, the longest so far in Philippine expressway history, to commence within the first half of the year," Mr. Abaya said.

The SCTEP has a total project cost of approximately P26.154 billion. A loan from the Japanese government through the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) will cover 85 percent of the project or roughly P21 billion. The one billion loan that BCDA had recently forged with BDO will be part of the 15 percent counterpart fund that BCDA has committed to raise. The P1-billion loan was arranged though Bancommerce Investment Corporation (BIC).

Mr. Abaya said once completed by 2008, the modern expressway will interconnect the deep water seaport in Subic and the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Clark to facilitate the transport of goods and services and people in a globally competitive environment.

"In the medium- to long-term, the Subic-Clark corridor will allow the country to leap frog into the mainstream of global trade and industry attracting more investors resulting to more jobs for the Filipinos," Mr. Abaya said.

He added that travel time from Clark to Subic will be a mere 30 minutes while that of Clark to Tarlac will be a mere 20 minutes.

"A marked reduction in travel time alone will help contribute in reducing the cost of doing business," notes the BCDA president.

Mr. Abaya said the 93.7 km elevated four-lane asphalt concrete pavement (ACP) with asphalt overlay expressway project, similar to the newly renovated North Luzon Expressway, is divided into two packages. Package I, the Subic-Clark section, is 50.5 km long while Package II, the Clark-Tarlac section, is 44 km long.

A total of eight interchanges will be constructed namely: Tipo Junction, Dinalupihan Interchange, Clark Logistics Interchange, Spur/North Luzon Expressway Interchange, Clark North Interchange, Conception Interchange, San Miguel Interchange and La Paz Interchange.

A total of 33 bridges will also be constructed. Of the 33 bridges, four are major bridges with a length of more than 300 meters. Of the four major bridges, the Sacobia-Bamban River Bridges is the longest at 1,160 meters. The three other bridges are the Pasig Potrero River Bridge, 720 meters; Porac River Bridge, 400 meters; and the Gumain River Bridge at 318 meters.

Other structures that will be constructed as part of the expressway include 44 underpasses and 255 culverts. Another feature of the expressway is the state-of-the-art closed-circuit toll system

The Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway is among the infrastructure projects identified in President Gloria Macapagal-Aroyo’s Medium-Term Philippine Development Plan (MTPDP) that is expected to develop Clark and Subic as centers of excellence in international service and logistics in the entire Southeast Asian region – one of the President’s ten-point agenda.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a little update on the SCTEx project from the BCDA website. there have been more recent developments since this one. regarding the VAT subsidies. the BCDA has assured the JBIC that the P2.3B VAT subsidy for the project has been endorsed by the DBM and included in the 2005 Gov't Appropriation Act (the 2005 budget that's being passed, right?). so once that's passed through Congress, they automatically get the money to pay off the VAT that the Japanese contractors involved in Japan ODA-funded projects are exempted from. this should make way for the JBIC's concurrence so the project will finally kick off...

according to the excerpt ggmac posted above, the SCTEx is around the average price. $5.1M X 94.5 X 56 = P26.989B. the SCTEx is to cost P26.154B...
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #64
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

It's been a long time since I updated myself with this project. When is this one due to be finished?
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #65
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 160

according to the article it will be in 2008...

Quote:
Mr. Abaya said the 93.7 km elevated four-lane asphalt concrete pavement (ACP) with asphalt overlay expressway project, similar to the newly renovated North Luzon Expressway, is divided into two packages. Package I, the Subic-Clark section, is 50.5 km long while Package II, the Clark-Tarlac section, is 44 km long
and it says that this will be an elevated expressway.. why was this so?... why haven't they planned this to be a ground level highway?
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #66
federal
No Fiscal crisis...

maybe because squatters will live beside it if it's ground-level... but seriously, i think it's a typo and is at ground level...

ANIMO LA SALLE!
federal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #67
renell
Here Since 2002

Oh yeah and what's "state-of-the-art closed-circuit toll system"?
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #68
amras
Batang Munti

Likes (Received): 2

is it similar to the one they have here in Singapore?
amras está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #69
bustero

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
It's been a long time since I updated myself with this project. When is this one due to be finished?
This project is supposed to finish in 40 months , from my initial understanding. This includes the two packages.

There will be some elevated portions , mostly near clark when they connect it to NLEX, but the majority of the km's will be at grade.

No idea what "closed circuit" system means.
bustero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #70
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 160

hmm.... if the toll system would be like that of Singapore's... it may not be easily feasible, because cars that would ply the expressway should have cards installed before running on it...

well.. if they're mostly elevated, more squatters will have an instant roof above them.. hehehe...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #71
renell
Here Since 2002

@bustero, so the connection to NLEX is part of the SCTEX plan?
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #72
bustero

Quote:
yup, my understanding is that it's actually the first phase, because the priority is to link clark airport, sm mall, etc to NLEX, Phase 2 to tarlac, Phase 3 to subic, but this may have been superseeded by GMA's intiative for the strong republic transport system plan, so sabay sabay na lahat. That's why even the SLEX connections to other highways are moving na rin. It's her plan to raise gdp by making farm to market linkages more efficient by better transportation.
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #73
renell
Here Since 2002

alright, where do they plan to connnect both expressways?
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #74
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by federal
maybe because squatters will live beside it if it's ground-level... but seriously, i think it's a typo and is at ground level...
If squatters were the reason, elevating the expressway would have been a daft idea, because they'd just live under it

However, the autostradas of italy are elevated, especially when they cut across mountains. maybe they're elevating it to make sure that its completely level, like the autobahn. But then again, that's IF they're elevating it, which I highly doubt.
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #75
federal
No Fiscal crisis...

Quote:
there were two plans to connect if i remember correctly. One via SCTEX project and the other via the NLEX project. I heard MNTC (NLEX contractor) shelved its plans for connection since SCTEX would be doing the same thing and if both are constructed at the same time, traffic would be divided among the two thus less revenues. wierd huh?

ANIMO LA SALLE!
federal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #76
renell
Here Since 2002

federal, yeah I have heard about the NLEX plan.. i think it was in the NLEX thread, post #94
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #77
bustero

Quote:
alright, where do they plan to connnect both expressways?
Are you referring to NLEX to SLEX or NLEX to Subic Tarlac EX?

The former is supposed to be the skyway and c6, unknown timetable.

The latter Please see bold area below:

Construction of P26-B Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway seen in first half of '05 - Abaya

Roy Rosales
BCDA Press Release
Friday, January 07, 2005

With the recent signing by the state-owned Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) of a loan worth P1-billion with the Banco De Oro Universal Bank (BDO), the construction of the 93.7 km Subic-Clark Tarlac Expressway Project (SCTEP) is expected to start within the first half of the year, BCDA President/CEO Narciso Abaya said.

"We expect construction of the 93.7 km expressway, the longest so far in Philippine expressway history, to commence within the first half of the year," Mr. Abaya said.

The SCTEP has a total project cost of approximately P26.154 billion. A loan from the Japanese government through the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) will cover 85 percent of the project or roughly P21 billion. The one billion loan that BCDA had recently forged with BDO will be part of the 15 percent counterpart fund that BCDA has committed to raise. The P1-billion loan was arranged though Bancommerce Investment Corporation (BIC).

Mr. Abaya said once completed by 2008, the modern expressway will interconnect the deep water seaport in Subic and the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Clark to facilitate the transport of goods and services and people in a globally competitive environment.

"In the medium- to long-term, the Subic-Clark corridor will allow the country to leap frog into the mainstream of global trade and industry attracting more investors resulting to more jobs for the Filipinos," Mr. Abaya said.

He added that travel time from Clark to Subic will be a mere 30 minutes while that of Clark to Tarlac will be a mere 20 minutes.

"A marked reduction in travel time alone will help contribute in reducing the cost of doing business," notes the BCDA president.

Mr. Abaya said the 93.7 km elevated four-lane asphalt concrete pavement (ACP) with asphalt overlay expressway project, similar to the newly renovated North Luzon Expressway, is divided into two packages. Package I, the Subic-Clark section, is 50.5 km long while Package II, the Clark-Tarlac section, is 44 km long.

A total of eight interchanges will be constructed namely: Tipo Junction, Dinalupihan Interchange, Clark Logistics Interchange, Spur/North Luzon Expressway Interchange, Clark North Interchange, Conception Interchange, San Miguel Interchange and La Paz Interchange.

A total of 33 bridges will also be constructed. Of the 33 bridges, four are major bridges with a length of more than 300 meters. Of the four major bridges, the Sacobia-Bamban River Bridges is the longest at 1,160 meters. The three other bridges are the Pasig Potrero River Bridge, 720 meters; Porac River Bridge, 400 meters; and the Gumain River Bridge at 318 meters.

Other structures that will be constructed as part of the expressway include 44 underpasses and 255 culverts. Another feature of the expressway is the state-of-the-art closed-circuit toll system

The Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway is among the infrastructure projects identified in President Gloria Macapagal-Aroyo’s Medium-Term Philippine Development Plan (MTPDP) that is expected to develop Clark and Subic as centers of excellence in international service and logistics in the entire Southeast Asian region – one of the President’s ten-point agenda.
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #78
bustero

If you mean exactly where , I was told by the CDC guys it should land besides ... what else... SM of course
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #79
renell
Here Since 2002

Yeah I meant NLEX and SCTEX.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM   #80
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

sounds good
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote