daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #741
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

In general good news I find. I always thought that DB did not market the sprinter idea enough. However the current sprinter Berlin-Frankfurt via Hanover claims a traveling time of only 3:34, so in fact the directer route via Erfurt would be decisively slower. I also find it too bad that again there is no sprinter Berlin-Hanover-Dortmund-Cologne, which I believe could win its share out of this busy line.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #742
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Although it can only crank up to 250 kmh, it is to be used mostly on the new Munich-Leipzig/Halle-Hamburg line, which will have several 300 kmh-sections. Source: http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...terwegs-71360/ (in German)
According to the new Fernverkehrskonzept 2030 the ICE4 will first be introduced on the lines Hamburg-Hannover-München and Hamburg-Hannover-Frankfurt-Stuttgart (ICE lines 25 and 22) from 12/2017. From 12/2019 it is planned to introduce the ICE4 on Berlin-Erfurt-Munich for the regular services (line 28). The ICE sprinter Berlin-Munich needs trains sets, which are capable to run 300 km/h, so ICE class 403, 406 or 407 (ICE 3). I think 403 is likely because 406 (and 407) are needed for international services.

Source (in German): http://www.deutschebahn.com/file/de/...hrskonzept.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
In general good news I find. I always thought that DB did not market the sprinter idea enough. However the current sprinter Berlin-Frankfurt via Hanover claims a traveling time of only 3:34, so in fact the directer route via Erfurt would be decisively slower. I also find it too bad that again there is no sprinter Berlin-Hanover-Dortmund-Cologne, which I believe could win its share out of this busy line.
You're right regarding the Sprinter via Hanover. However, that one is only riding twice a day, the new Sprinter via Halle and Erfurt is riding four times per day. In the longer term there is some potential for further reduction of journey time when Halle Hbf is renewed and Bitterfeld-Halle is upgraded to 200 km/h. Furthermore, there are concepts for a fast junction from the HSL Hannover-Würzburg to Eisenach along Bebra, which could reduce journey time for another ten minutes.

For Berlin-Hannover-Cologne I think it is very hard to introduce additional trains because of the section Wunstorf-Minden, which is a bottleneck. There are, however, plans for two ICE trains per hour between Cologne and Berlin by integrating the IC line Cologne-Hannover-Berlin into the ICE network (maybe that's what you meant in the other Germany railways thread, Baron Hirsch?).

Last edited by telemaxx; September 29th, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #743
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

ICE Tunnel Irlahüll Süd

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:44 PM   #744
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

A prospect from DB Netze of the new Erfurt-Halle/Leipzig HSL full of details (54 MB): http://fahrweg.dbnetze.com/file/fahr...enprospekt.pdf

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #745
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:30 PM   #746
Christian1981

Likes (Received): 22

ICE High Speed Railway Leipzig - Erfurt

Old November 27th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #747
OzFrog
Melburnian

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1981 View Post

When did that line open between Leipzig and Erfurt?
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #748
telemaxx

Likes (Received): 2661

Not yet. It will open on 9 December of this year.

OzFrog liked this post
telemaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #749
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8961

Presentation of the first brand new ICE 4 (formerly know as ICx) in Berlin!

The ICE 4 fleet wil replace all ICE 1 and ICE 2 trains.

-Vmax: 250 km/h (12-car train) / 230 km/h (7-car train)
-Power: 9.900 kW (12-car trian) / 4.950 kW (7-car train)
-Length: 346 m (12-car train) / 200 m (7-car trian)
-Capacity: 830 seats (12-car train) / 456 seats (7-car train)
-On order: 85 x 12-car trains / 45 x 7-car trains
-Producer: Siemens AG

SOURCE
What Is Love?

dimlys1994, Autostädter, Torch, xanterra liked this post

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; December 5th, 2015 at 01:56 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #750
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

It's weird that initially the new trains were meant to replace the old IC trains first and ICE 1/2 later but now it sounds like they only replace ICE 1/2 and ICs will be replaced by double deck trains.
Also, in the second video the space between the seats looks very small and the seats look thin and not very comfy.

Last edited by Autostädter; December 5th, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #751
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2090

Older version looks way better, this one is plain ugly. It would make way more sense to buy AGV and it is faster also.
Shenkey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #752
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I'm guessing that the AGV's capabilities are beyond what this train is intended for, and the idea of Deutsche Bahn buying French trains is...strange.

However, no doubt this is not a pretty train.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #753
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Seeing it in the flesh, it's far less ugly than I had feared seeing the renderings - but I'm still left wondering who decided to have all of Siemens' designers fired...
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #754
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

i don't think it's ugly altough the design isn't very sophisticated. I think it looks better than the current Velaro D and possibly even better than the AGV with it's bulky head.

flierfy, xanterra liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #755
dlomen

Likes (Received): 78

The design looks very old
dlomen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #756
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Seeing it in the flesh, it's far less ugly than I had feared seeing the renderings - but I'm still left wondering who decided to have all of Siemens' designers fired...
You mean this guy? http://www.alexander-neumeister.com/projects.html (designer of ICE 1/2/3, Transrapid, Talent, Desiro, etc.)

The ICx/ICE 4 was designed by Bombardier design team and won a Red Dot design award: http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel....b-2034184.htm

But Neumeister's work can hardly be topped, he is one of the greatest designers (and greatest train designer) of our time.
Old December 6th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #757
Bbbut

Likes (Received): 19

In terms of aesthetics the ICE3 does look better to me as well. The edges and the carp mouth don't do it for me on the new one.
But thank God, they finally got rid of the round door windows, a design element that ruined the side view of all its predecessors.
So overall its an average looking high speed train, not great but definitively not as horrible to look at as the AVG for example.

And in terms of economy I do think the Germans are on the right path. A train service is not about the highest speed possible. To burn twice as much energy just to gain some measly minutes on select few lines, is not the 'smart way' forward.
Better upgrade your fleet to run a lot of ecological 'fast enough'-trains than to chase speed records, spend billions on prestige lines and neglect the rest of your network...

Spongabob liked this post

Last edited by Bbbut; December 6th, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
Bbbut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #758
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbut View Post

And in terms of economy I do think the Germans are on the right pass. A train service is not about the highest speed possible. To burn twice as much energy just to gain some measly minutes on select few lines, is not the 'smart way' forward.
Better upgrade your fleet to run a lot of ecological 'fast enough'-trains than to chase speed records, spend billions on prestige lines and neglect the rest of your network...
Bold part = mediocrity instead of excellence, not something worth of the 4th largest World economy.
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #759
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Bold part = mediocrity instead of excellence, not something worth of the 4th largest World economy.
Problem with Germany is that they have many mid-sized cities that are not quite far apart, unlike France or China with large, but fewer urban areas that are at a greater distance.
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #760
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I travel around Europe a lot and I have to say of thelarger countries, the German's have the simplest most efficient system to move lots of people between cities. The Spanish AVE like the French TGV is an overcomplicated system. They consume too many resources for infrequent fast trains to the detriment of the rest of the network.
Saving 20 minutes on a train going only 6 times a day is rubbish unless your appointment happens to coincide with one of the arrival times.

The time difference between 250 km/h and 300 kmh is only 10 minutes per hour and only when travelling at full speed, but takes almost 1.5 times more energy to accelerate.

Tags
ice