daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Iran > Infrastructure & Urban Issues > Urban Spaces > Architecture and City Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5084

[Iran] Suburbs & Garden Cities

feel free to post pics and news of suburbs and suburban towns in Iran, already built or constructed, if Iran really has any

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Likes (Received): 40

Good topic. These are a set of photographs I took when I was doing a fine art project as a photographer some time ago, they're not part of the project but rather interesting scenes I came across while doing it which are worth posting.

Suburban Tehran

More to come.
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Last edited by Shapoor; December 12th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
SoroushPersepolisi

great photos,

where is this?

and does anyone know any mid class suburbs that are around major cities? like the ones in germany , and other european cities, like the ones in lisbon? not big mansion rich neighbourhoods, just modest ones? do they exist in iran?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
great photos,

where is this?

and does anyone know any mid class suburbs that are around major cities? like the ones in germany , and other european cities, like the ones in lisbon? not big mansion rich neighbourhoods, just modest ones? do they exist in iran?
Sharhake Gharb in Tehran.

Semi-suburb - Roshdieh, Tabriz
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moghadd...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peymana...n/photostream/

Lavasan http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=282129&page=2
It's not all mega mansions there are some middle class houses too.

Last edited by Shapoor; December 12th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM   #6
SoroushPersepolisi

i mean like hoomeye shahr with small ragions all with villa single detached or semi detached houses. is there any? look at parisian suburbs thats what i mean

and great photos btw
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #7
Herbicide
a tangy drink!

Likes (Received): 264

Some places just dont have them. When I was in Finland I noticed they didnt seem to have suburbs with detached houses. If you live in a town, you live in an apartment. You shouldnt be disappointed that this isnt happening in Iran. They arent really good things. This type of development has many associated problems like massive urban sprawl where a town or city instead of developing properly with healthy population density, just eats up the countryside, causes car dependancy (very difficult to provide public transport to sparse suburbs), car-centric development like ugly and boring strip-malls and out of town offices, and large distances between residents and services.
The countryside between towns ends up just dissapearing under little houses and big car parks, like in areas of England and the core of the town or city just dies with neglect.
There are many indirect social consequences arising from this undesireable suburban as opposed to urban development. People can easily become socially isolated whilst tucked away in a suburb while people who live in high density neighbourhoods tend to be more socially active have friends just a block or two away and can meet friends somewhere central in minutes. Suburb dwellers tend to exercise less and drive more despite one of the attractions of the suburbs being quieter places 'closer to nature' while city dwellers will walk around more in their neighborhoods and parks. Inhabitants of cities that have suburban neighborhoods rather than urban ones will find it hard to protest or resist auhority. Take the case of last years green movement protests in Iran. Could you imagine that happening in a city where everyone would have had to drive in and park first. Protests on that scale would be impossible in Australian cities for example.
Cincinatti (US) with chronic sprawl:

Helsinki (Finland) with zero sprawl:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formatu...photostream/#/
Herbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicide View Post
Some places just dont have them. When I was in Finland I noticed they didnt seem to have suburbs with detached houses. If you live in a town, you live in an apartment. You shouldnt be disappointed that this isnt happening in Iran. They arent really good things. This type of development has many associated problems like massive urban sprawl where a town or city instead of developing properly with healthy population density, just eats up the countryside, causes car dependancy (very difficult to provide public transport to sparse suburbs), car-centric development like ugly and boring strip-malls and out of town offices, and large distances between residents and services.
The countryside between towns ends up just dissapearing under little houses and big car parks, like in areas of England and the core of the town or city just dies with neglect.
There are many indirect social consequences arising from this undesireable suburban as opposed to urban development. People can easily become socially isolated whilst tucked away in a suburb while people who live in high density neighbourhoods tend to be more socially active have friends just a block or two away and can meet friends somewhere central in minutes. Suburb dwellers tend to exercise less and drive more despite one of the attractions of the suburbs being quieter places 'closer to nature' while city dwellers will walk around more in their neighborhoods and parks. Inhabitants of cities that have suburban neighborhoods rather than urban ones will find it hard to protest or resist auhority. Take the case of last years green movement protests in Iran. Could you imagine that happening in a city where everyone would have had to drive in and park first. Protests on that scale would be impossible in Australian cities for example.
Cincinatti (US) with chronic sprawl:

Helsinki (Finland) with zero sprawl:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formatu...photostream/#/
Pretty much what New Urbanism is trying to prove:
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #9
SoroushPersepolisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapoor View Post
Pretty much what New Urbanism is trying to prove:
LOL im not saying its a good thing! i live in canada and SUFFER this whole suburban single house thing! it seems nice, but in the outlook, its boring, unenvironmental, and hard to have access to every other point in the city, impractical!!!!!!! im just seeing if there is any! i wouldnt like if iran had american style homes! its sssoooooo inefficient!

but, i mentioned european cities, which have little subrubs but alot of small towns that are densed, with small appartements, attached and detached houses, but all densely made, like what new urbanism is about!! i want to see if iran has these "new urban" settlement patterns not massive regions with houses!!

one reason europe is so prosperous and sustainable is its planning
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Amirex111

Likes (Received): 82

Europe also had no choice, its too small
Amirex111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Urbeye

Likes (Received): 0

I think it really nice that a city like Tehran is so compact and dense. Everything is close with great nice street life. I think it is one of the most amazing places on earth in between Tokio and Beirut which is caused by its compactness. I think that no Russian or Chinese cities could beat that. The compactness makes the city special in compare to many other cities all around the world with suburban horror scenarios. That is something Irans should prevail.
Urbeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
SoroushPersepolisi

true, i think all we need is to just live detached homes for villages, and plant loads of trees around our cities, thatl be awesome. tehran has a good tree planting program. the only thing i think this gvrnment is good at is tree planting lmao

we need more in mashhad and esfahan, as well as shiraz tabriz and the cities in the south

Last edited by SoroushPersepolisi; October 17th, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Urbeye

Sounds interesting!

Do you have recent examples of tree planting?
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #14
The Morning Star

Likes (Received): 1

How come that the traffic in Iran is worse than the ones in America, where entire cities like Detroit are suburban? Wasn't the dense system supposed to reduce traffic?
The Morning Star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:01 AM   #15
peykantm

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morning Star View Post
How come that the traffic in Iran is worse than the ones in America, where entire cities like Detroit are suburban? Wasn't the dense system supposed to reduce traffic?
American highways, freeways and streets are absolutely huge. American cities are made for the driver, not the pedestrian.
peykantm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM   #16
The Morning Star

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peykantm View Post
American highways, freeways and streets are absolutely huge. American cities are made for the driver, not the pedestrian.
Says the man whos name is "peykan,"
The Morning Star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:02 AM   #17
Urbeye

When you compare Tehran to other great cities in islamic world like Cairo, you see that Tehran has far less segregation, which is a quality for a compact city (belongs to sustainable city theories). There are some rich neighbourhoods, but relative less ''ghetto's'' in compare to Cairo. I hope Iran can continue their urbanism in their cities! Further I think that Tehran has less ''western'' shopping malls in compare to cities in the Middle East (Cairo, Istanbul, Riyad), which is really nice of Tehran. Or am I wrong here? With the term Western I am not trying to offend the Western civilisation, but I hope Iran remain focusing on it's own characteristics and not copying stuff from the Western World in a totallay different context like Dubai (stupid to make glass towers in dessert ). It would be nice Tehran becomes a nice open minded (islamic) state with a strong own identity.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM   #18
AAL

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbeye View Post
It would be nice Tehran becomes a nice open minded (islamic) state with a strong own identity.
If I may say so, Iran has its own identity for thousands of years, but the islamists are trying to eliminate it...they don't like the fact that Iran doesn't owe any thing to Islam, but Islam owes everything to Iran: all the Islamic art is basically based on Iranian art, plus a few extra Graeco-Roman elements...
AAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:11 AM   #19
Herbicide
a tangy drink!

Likes (Received): 264

I think we are getting off topic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morning Star View Post
Just because Iran has the dense urban structure that is suitable for public transport and a more sustainable way of life doesnt mean that this progressive policy is actually being pursued at a planning and government level in a coherant way. Some elements are like better provision of public transport for which they have won a prestigious award recently but it needs to be accommpanied with measures to drag drivers out of their cars otherwise it wont even occur to many people to change their habits. They will just sit in their stationary cars suffocating in smog unless taxes and congestion charging and strict safety regulations make it too expensive or inconvenient compared to getting on public transport. Unfortunately politicians are loathe to do anything that will make them unpopular with drivers and will be reluctant to put their head on the line to change things for the better. Remember the riots when petrol ration cards came out? But slowly they are facing up to it. They brought in the cards and they are withdrawing the stupid petrol subsidies. But it still wont be enough. People who drive are irrational and stubborn beasts when it comes to changing habits. Getting on a bus or a train is almost like a demotion in life for them. For some people it would actually have to become physically and financially impossible to drive to work before they gave it up.
Quote:
When you compare Tehran to other great cities in islamic world like Cairo, you see that Tehran has far less segregation, which is a quality for a compact city (belongs to sustainable city theories). There are some rich neighbourhoods, but relative less ''ghetto's'' in compare to Cairo. I hope Iran can continue their urbanism in their cities! Further I think that Tehran has less ''western'' shopping malls in compare to cities in the Middle East (Cairo, Istanbul, Riyad), which is really nice of Tehran. Or am I wrong here? With the term Western I am not trying to offend the Western civilisation, but I hope Iran remain focusing on it's own characteristics and not copying stuff from the Western World in a totallay different context like Dubai (stupid to make glass towers in dessert ). It would be nice Tehran becomes a nice open minded (islamic) state with a strong own identity.
But Tehran will not develop into its own new system. Its all been done before somewhere. Right now it is somewhere between being a place like Jakarta and a place like Tokyo and whether it is in the "Islamic world" or not is almost totally irrelevant to the way its urban landscape develops.
Herbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:21 AM   #20
SoroushPersepolisi

Quote:
Sounds interesting!

Do you have recent examples of tree planting?
welll there are many, u can see in many of the construction threads, or pics of iran, in the outskirts there are allways these lined dots and small trees (like vineyards), which are all planted trees, i dun have any actual example sorry
, but il try to find some
Quote:
well a shopping mall isnt really western, infact its just like a more modern bazar lol, but yea , the iran's identity should be evident throughout iran, just like how europe builds their own identity. and in general persians have been and are open minded, very much infact, there are exceptions, and unfortunentaly those few have the power, past and present, from cyrus the great and hazrat zoroaster and even from the islamic prophets (hazrat mohammad) to amar khayyam and malako shoaraye bahar and mosadegh and ferdosi and saaadi and hafez rumi avicenna etc, our culture is composed on very open minded people that promote, love (in all forms, romance, spiritual/divine, fraternal, patrial...) and open mindedness, respect, and free will. unfortunentaly, these huge elements have allways been opposed by the powerful men in most cases. but they are all deeply rooted in our culture, infact in almost all cultures, but it is so evident in persian culture, we just have to find it. i hate how many call modernisation and liberation, free thougt etc "western" ideas. i dunko i went off topic but anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAL View Post
If I may say so, Iran has its own identity for thousands of years, but the islamists are trying to eliminate it...they don't like the fact that Iran doesn't owe any thing to Islam, but Islam owes everything to Iran: all the Islamic art is basically based on Iranian art, plus a few extra Graeco-Roman elements...

true, soooo much the arabs and the islamic civilization in general has gotten from us, the greeks and romans. u have no idea how much lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicide View Post
I think we are getting off topic here.

Just because Iran has the dense urban structure that is suitable for public transport and a more sustainable way of life doesnt mean that this progressive policy is actually being pursued at a planning and government level in a coherant way. Some elements are like better provision of public transport for which they have won a prestigious award recently but it needs to be accommpanied with measures to drag drivers out of their cars otherwise it wont even occur to many people to change their habits. They will just sit in their stationary cars suffocating in smog unless taxes and congestion charging and strict safety regulations make it too expensive or inconvenient compared to getting on public transport. Unfortunately politicians are loathe to do anything that will make them unpopular with drivers and will be reluctant to put their head on the line to change things for the better. Remember the riots when petrol ration cards came out? But slowly they are facing up to it. They brought in the cards and they are withdrawing the stupid petrol subsidies. But it still wont be enough. People who drive are irrational and stubborn beasts when it comes to changing habits. Getting on a bus or a train is almost like a demotion in life for them. For some people it would actually have to become physically and financially impossible to drive to work before they gave it up.
But Tehran will not develop into its own new system. Its all been done before somewhere. Right now it is somewhere between being a place like Jakarta and a place like Tokyo and whether it is in the "Islamic world" or not is almost totally irrelevant to the way its urban landscape develops.
bebin harf nadasht pasoxet, damet garm , thats an excellent answer

Tags
asia, iran, suburb, town