daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #281
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5751

That is an outrage.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #282
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

decades outta synch 'n all
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #283
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
There's been none. Plus the municipal operator there comes out with :pfft: a “survival guide“ video (▼▼) geared toward honky-tonks
First off the CTA did not create the video so your comment does not make any sense what so ever. Second of all so what? Chicago gets alot foreign tourists from other countries who may not be familiar with how the system works. Would you make the same asinine statement if someone posted a video on how to use either the Paris Metro or London Tube?

Quote:
Most Americans strike me as having the queerest way at looking over their shoulders, don't you find?
Now that you firmly identified yourself as a troll, I guess I will be moving along now since any further discussion is a waste of my time. Thanks for playing.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #284
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
First off the CTA did not create the video so your comment does not make any sense what so ever. Second of all so what? Chicago gets alot foreign tourists from other countries who may not be familiar with how the system works. Would you make the same asinine statement if someone posted a video on how to use either the Paris Metro or London Tube?
Without getting into a discussion about whether anyone is or is not a troll or the identity of the video creator, I just want to note that the video starts out being reasonable and useful but becomes more patronizing and ridiculous as it goes on. In the beginning is a handy explanation of how different lines travel around the Loop - this is indeed a unique and confusing part of the El that warrants a detailed discussion. In fact, I would venture to guess that many Chicagoans might sometimes be unsure about the directions of the trains, and a few years ago they changed some of the lines from CW to CCW or vice versa.

As the video moves on, however, the narrator makes a few statements that would apply to almost EVERY metro system in the world. This is where it becomes truly pathetic, because this advice could only be helpful for the Amish or members of the FLDS who probably don't watch youtube to begin with. I would be surprised to hear of a foreign tourist who managed to make his or her way to Chicago without ever using a subway in another country. There are immigrants to Chicago from poor underdeveloped countries, but I doubt that they would have access to this video. So it's not really clear who the intended audience is for hearing the following tips spoken aloud in a serious voice:

"after you pay your fare, you'll have to pass through a turnstile"
"once on board, you'll hear announcements over the loudspeaker telling you what station is next"
"use the on-board line maps and system maps to keep track of your progress"
"if this is your destination, follow the signs and arrows for the way out"
"some stations have multiple exits, so be sure to follow the signs that lead you to your intended direction"
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #285
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I agree that the video was kind of patronizing but the main reason on why I posted the video was so visitors/people from outside Chicago can see how the system works overall and maybe compare and contrast with some of the public transit systems in their own cities.

Besides there are a number of metro systems that have a different fare structure that don't require you to pass thru a turnstile (such as Los Angekes, a few in Germany, and so on).
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #286
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

image hosted on flickr

Chicago 'L' by ReneS

image hosted on flickr

Chicago 'L' by hseoane

image hosted on flickr

Chicago 'L' Train by vasenka

image hosted on flickr

Chicago 'L' by ReneS

image hosted on flickr

CTA L Tour by Steven Vance
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #287
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
I agree that the video was kind of patronizing but the main reason on why I posted the video was so visitors/people from outside Chicago can see how the system works overall and maybe compare and contrast with some of the public transit systems in their own cities.

Besides there are a number of metro systems that have a different fare structure that don't require you to pass thru a turnstile (such as Los Angekes, a few in Germany, and so on).
It's a bit obvious, I agree, that you have to pass through a turnstile because there's a bloody turnstile right there!

However, you'd be amazed at how many people need help buying tickets, using the turnstile, using the trains, etc. Every system is different and it's flustering to be clueless standing at the ticket machine with 100s of Chicagoans getting angry that you are being slow. I'm sure Londoners or NYers know what I'm talking about
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #288
Northsider

edit...
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #289
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Troll?!?

:PFFT:

Better take to calling your --uhm-- CTA that instead

All this nonsense about their very own you-need-help-travelling crap: E.g., why --instead of harping on and on about entranceways and such and --oo!-- don't DARE lose your shucks(?) if your train don't stop for ya-- why didn't they critically inform their oh-so-bloody-dumbed-down passengers about the stopping systematics behind the helplessly mind-bogglingly long platform under State St...etc...etc...etc.

If the CTA were so worldly, then better get to lumpin' us their self-help video in other languages, which makes me TRULY wonder just how bloody stupid they'd go about treating those other audiences (none of them'd stick!)

Their publication deflates the significance to public transport on a wholesale scale, so I suggest you also grow up yourself/ves

:GUSH:

Last edited by trainrover; August 9th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #290
le_brew
le_brew

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Yes, but for a city it's size Chicago's metro system seems a bit anemic. Of course we know the reason why that is and it's just a struggle in the US to maintain current systems. Also due to suburban flight a lot of the system is underutilized. What amazes me about US systems is how infrequent a lot of lines are.

The exception for Chicago seems to be the Red line, by all accounts it's bursting at the seams. The favoured quarter in Chicago seems to be the North and North West, and looking at the map the Red line is quite a way from the coast in parts.

One Idea could be to have a new line along Michigan Avenue. The Southern end could connect with the Orange line and divert it to the new line. One option would go via South Michigan past the Museums or turn west along W Madison before Olgive Train station before heading south on Clinton to Join up with the Orange there. The new line could run a block in from the coast as far North as demand warranted, say, along North Clark and North Broadway. In the future you could have branches going west to cover gaps in transit coverage. I imagine most of the cities nightlife is and leisure options are concentrated North of the Loop. Routes that connected the North Western suburbs and the gold coast and Downtown would be very popular rather than direct to down town.

Here is an example

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...41b010efee23ea
I liked your proposal(s), yet, may I suggest a few tweaks.

I don't know if you're aware of them, but couple years back I did a study of the possible re-use of the three old traffic/streetcar tunnels which exists, and are currently mothballed under: LaSalle St; Washington St; near Van Buren St. (Actually, the LaSalle St may have been destroyed by the Blue Line underground @ lake?)

I had visualized these tunnels refurbished and integrated into a modern streetcar or lightrail system, and costing less than new excavation. The experts I consulted with were not too thrilled with the idea in that the old tunnels, according to them, were too far deteriorated for any renewal.

I'm still not convinced that they could not be re-built.

Hence, my changes to your suggestion(s) would be to somehow integrate these new transit lines into that already existing infrastructure.
le_brew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #291
Northsider

Quote:
imbecilic rabble rousing
You do realize that the video is just from some dude who loves transit systems? This is not an official CTA video.

Ohh. and and stuff... [insert americans-are-stupid joke here] and [everything-is-backasswards joke goes here], thanks for stopping by. We all love how well thought out your responses are.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #292
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Hows transit card going to work for Metra? They cant have Turnstiles in Union Station because they share it with Amtrak.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #293
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Hows transit card going to work for Metra? They cant have Turnstiles in Union Station because they share it with Amtrak.
I am guessing the transit card would work in the same capacity that it does currently on the Caltrain line in the sense that monthly passes, 8-ride tickets can be stored into the card and a card reader would be equiped at each station to check/deduct fares.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #294
Northsider

Quote:
Turn it into a ticketed "honor system". Let's face it, it pretty much already is. I can't count how many times I've gotten free rides because they've either forgotten to check me, thought they already did check me, or I hid from them.

Regarding Union, the Amtrak tracks are located on the eastern most side, and are already separated off in a way. No reason (other than traffic flow) why there can't be turnstiles at the doors leading to the actual tracks. I still like a validate-on-board type system, like the DLR in London.
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #295
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

CTA L Tour by Steven Vance
Holy shizat, those tracks are in poor conditions.... Have they never heard of track maintenance?
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #296
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

There used to be turnstiles on Metra Electric, but they got rid of them a decade ago because they were perceived as racist. No way are turnstiles coming back to Metra.

The traffic flow argument is a non-starter. Commuter-rail systems in Tokyo, London and Moscow, way way busier than the Metra, all use turnstiles for exit and entry in their downtown terminals.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #297
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
There used to be turnstiles on Metra Electric, but they got rid of them a decade ago because they were perceived as racist. No way are turnstiles coming back to Metra.
WTF?? How the machine can be racist??
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #298
Northsider

Quote:
Have they never heard of track maintenance?
$$$$$$$$

Quote:
WTF?? How the machine can be racist??
Metra Electric serves predominantly Black neighborhoods. Making only them use turnstiles I can easily see as being racist.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #299
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

To be fair Metra Electric works a lot like a rapid transit system, its very different from the rest of the METRA system. Easier to implement turnstiles on that line.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #300
Northsider

Quote:
To be fair Metra Electric works a lot like a rapid transit system, its very different from the rest of the METRA system. Easier to implement turnstiles on that line.
...which is why people 'simply' want it merged with CTA.

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport