daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM   #341
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
the CTA's map's still the only one where I've noticed station labels taking either axis, so it's not that readily clear for folks who are used to other alphabets
Huh? WTF are you talking about? It's not clear to non-english speakers that you need to tilt your head slightly to read some station names? Well, shit...how did the CTA overlook that fact that a small tiny minority of people may not be able to understand to tilt their head?

If they don't know enough English to know how to read vertically or horizontally, then they obviously can't read it anyways, so what difference does it make? If they think they're getting off at Eizdek...they seriously have some problems not related to our system map.
Quote:
Interesting, the CTA not naming the stations, e.g., N Kedzie, S Kedzie...
Why? Then you'd have 3 S Kedzies and 2 N Kedzies. How does that help? I'm sorry, but 98% of visitors will never need to exit at ANY Kedzie, so this problem really doesn't even exist. 3 of the Kedzies are in the ghetto, while the other 2 are in completely random areas of the city with virtually no touristic benefit.

Quote:
My guess is there is no other city in the world of Chicago's size or larger that is so tied to a street grid system (if I'm wrong, tell me).
Buenos Aires? (loosely)

Quote:
If I'm on the green line and should be on the orange line, then I've got bigger problems. But I grew up in Chicago so it makes sense to me.
Exactly, trainrover is just making up problems to criticize. I've never in my life heard anybody on the CTA, tourist or otherwise, comment about duplicate station naming being a true problem, or that the "civic" (lol) numbers aren't posted on every map. I guess it's a little weird at first glance, but anyone with half a brain can tell the correct station to get off on.

Chicago IS unique in that streets run a grid for many many many miles. Western runs the complete length of the city, and thus has 5 different stops in the system. How else would you do it? N/S doesn't work. We can't put the address as the station name (by the way, the "civic" numbers are listed at EVERY station). The easiest and simplest way is as I said above: [Line Color][Station Name]. Done. No confusion.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #342
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
3 of the Kedzies are in the ghetto
Your anger's proof for me why bother venturing into the north end when visiting Chicago; besides, your pointing out three of the five Kedzie stns being located in "the ghetto" reveals your dismal knowledge of your lakeside community.

"English"?!? I was referring to folks whose alphabet ain't latin , you illiterate fool...

Last edited by trainrover; October 1st, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM   #343
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
... The easiest and simplest way is as I said above: [Line Color][Station Name]. Done. No confusion.

How about blue line and 'Western' station? There are two 'Western' stations on the same line!

U cant defend this naming system. It's stupid and confusing. It doesnt matter if the 3 Kedzies are in ghetto or wherever, who cares? They have to be different. In one city/system there shouldnt be 2 stations of the same name. Nevermind if they are on different lines (which in this case isnt even the fact because of the blue line) - it's just stupid. IF the city has so long streets and the stations really are on the same street, then CTA should find a way to distinguish them and put different names o the map.

In case of blue line let it be 'Western-Cortland' for the northern branch and "Western-Van Bueren" for the southern part. It doesnt matter what names - they should be just different. It shouldnt be so difficult to think out such names even for a half-brain person, right?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Last edited by Falubaz; October 1st, 2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM   #344
trainrover

Toronto has a two-line interchange station called Bloor-Yonge. The nameplates on the green-line platforms are simply labelled Yonge; the yellow-line ones, Bloor
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM   #345
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Your anger's proof for me why bother venturing into the north end when visiting Chicago; besides, your pointing out three of the five Kedzie stns being located in "the ghetto" reveals your dismal knowledge of your lakeside community.
lol, What anger? Check crime and poverty stats. The westside is without a doubt the worst area in Chicago, and happens to house 3 Kedzie stops. Dismal knowledge of the lakeside community? WTF are you talking about? Go back to ******* Canada or wherever you damn troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
"English"?!? I was referring to folks whose alphabet ain't latin , you illiterate fool...
In which case they wouldn't be able to read it anyways. Get the point? Either you know english or you don't. If some Japanese or Greeks came over to Chicago they'd either have to know enough english (you know, the most basic understanding of HOW to read a word) to know which way to read it or they don't know english at all to read anything. This would mean it's irrelevant that some names are vertical and some are horizontal. I find it highly unlikely that somebody would take a flight to the US, pass immigration and customs, navigate the airport... and then have trouble reading vertical words. You don't give people enough credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
How about blue line and 'Western' station? There are two 'Western' stations on the same line!
Yea, I already mentioned that, you're a bit late.

Quote:
You cant defend this naming system. It's stupid and confusing. It doesnt matter if the 3 Kedzies are in ghetto or wherever, who cares? They have to be different. In one city/system there shouldnt be 2 stations of the same name. Nevermind if they are on different lines (which in this case isnt even the fact because of the blue line) - it's just stupid. IF the city has so long streets and the stations really are on the same street, then CTA should find a way to distinguish them and put different names o the map.
I've not once encountered a situation, even at the beginning of my transit-taking days, where there was confusion of which station to take/get off at. As I said, you people are making problems that don't even exist. The CTA is easily one of the simplest systems to navigate in the world...I'm beginning to question your intellect if you can't make a distinction between different stops with your own words.

Doesn't matter if it's stupid or not, it's not a problem. How is my [Line Color][Station Name] solution a problem? This is what everybody does, without problems. "Yea, I'll meet you at Green Line Kedzie in 15 minutes". ??? DONE.

As for Western: "I'll meet you at Blue Line Western in Wicker Park" or "I'll meet you at Milwaukee and Western".

There's some great Mediterranean food at Brown Line Kedzie, want to meet up there?

Confused? lol, I bet not but you'll pretend to be just to continue this asinine argument.

Quote:
In case of blue line let it be 'Western-Cortland' for the northern branch and "Western-Van Bueren" for the southern part. It doesnt matter what names - they should be just different. It shouldnt be so difficult to think out such names even for a half-brain person, right?
I suggested once to name the O'Hare Branch names the E-W streets to avoid "confusion"...but those streets aren't close enough to justify renaming the station. I guess we should just be thankful that Logan Square wasn't named Kedzie, ZOMG what would we do then?!?!?!?!

By the way, Mr Downtown is a member here and creator of the CTA maps.

Anyways, please try to give me a concrete example where these station names would be confusing for a tourist. The lines have COLORS for a reason.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #346
Falubaz

U take it as an personal attack, but it's not. We claim some logic in the system. It's stupid to me (and as we can see it's not just me).
That's why many cities renamed their stations to avoid the confusion, why did they do that?

I.e. Berlin has different writing for metro line U2 --> Olympia-Stadion
and its S-Bahn lines S5, S75 --> Olympiastadion
They are not conected but serve the same stadium, dofferent lines but same place. So they made a distinction in the writing. That is smart, not multiplying the same-name for totally different stations in different locations.

If CTA can't fix it...

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #347
Northsider

No, I feel that you're jumping on trainrover's asinine badmouthing bandwagon, and I won't stand for it.

Quote:
It's stupid to me (and as we can see it's not just me).
Well, be clear on what is stupid. Pretend you are a tourist coming into the city from an airport. In what way would this be confusing?
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:12 PM   #348
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5745

What an interesting discussion about the CTA naming system for transit stations. In the future this won't be an issue since all stations will be named after corporations, so enjoy the current confusion before it's replaced by an even bigger confusion.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM   #349
trainrover

Quote:
trainrover's asinine badmouthing bandwagon
Which of the two of us has been potty-mouthed...
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM   #350
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Anyone who know Metra, are the cars used on Metra Electric line the same height as the usual gallery cars?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM   #351
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
enjoy the current confusion before it's replaced by an even bigger confusion.
You have a point ... the quantity of corporations must, inevitably, be downsized to just 1
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #352
particlez

Likes (Received): 106

trainrover.... get on the st. john's wort.

Why do you bother so much with minutiae? Chicago is on the grid system and it's just about impossible to get lost with a map. You're sounding like Madame Bovary.
particlez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #353
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post

U cant defend this naming system. It's stupid and confusing. It doesnt matter if the 3 Kedzies are in ghetto or wherever, who cares? They have to be different. In one city/system there shouldnt be 2 stations of the same name. Nevermind if they are on different lines (which in this case isnt even the fact because of the blue line) - it's just stupid. IF the city has so long streets and the stations really are on the same street, then CTA should find a way to distinguish them and put different names o the map.

It's not confusing when you consider the grid system layout of the city and the layout of the current train system. As of right now all lines pass thru the Loop or "Downtown" so if you know how to read a map and follow directions it is pretty clear how to get to your destination.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #354
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

In the grand scheme of things, the CTA is not the worst offender.

In New York there are multiple grids, so that there is a 59th Street station in Brooklyn and one with the same name in Manhattan, not to mention 5 stations in Manhattan alone named 23rd Street.

In Pyongyang, station names are not related to geography.

In Moscow, a transfer station usually has multiple names for multiple lines.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #355
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Theres 3 Avenue Us and 3 Kings Highways too. For NYC.

To be fair PyoungYang is the worst example.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #356
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
In Moscow, a transfer station usually has multiple names for multiple lines.
THe Buenos Aires Subte is also a huge offender in this same regard. One transfer station for example would have two different names for each line although the station names themselves are related to geography which at least helps.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #357
Falubaz

Which isnt smart as well.

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #358
trainrover

particlez, you can't read either
Old October 5th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #359
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I've been here 10 years and have noticed that the same station names appear all the time, but certainly never thought about it so much!

Strangely, in that 10 years I've never once seen anyone get confused at that aspect of the station names. Friend, tourist, visiting family or coworkers. It just works.

If there would be any confusion, people just naturally say the color of the line and then the station. Since in most cases you'd say things like "XXX station" on the "XXX line" regardless of what city you're in - this is fairly normal. You'd say you're going to the Western Brown Line, or the Grand Red Line. You say it for any station, much like you would anywhere in the world.

As for Western Blue Line showing up twice. I've actually never heard anyone point that out before. Normally people tend to go from one of the branches into downtown. There's not a ton of traffic between lines running from the northeast to southeast side of the city.

If someone was saying "go to the western blue", most anyone with knowledge of the city would naturally either know or ask which stop to go to. They're very different neighborhoods. If it was a visitor, on the blue line a lot of locals with classify which branch they're talking about. You'd say something like "california stop on the o'hare blue line", or "western on the congress(or forest park) blue line".
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #360
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Before the Pink Line was introduced, there were 3 stations named Western on the Blue Line, with 2 of them just 1.5 miles away from each other! Between those two stations is a Metra stop called Western Avenue (there are 2 Metra stops with that name, BTW).

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport