daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #361
schweitzerdude

Likes (Received): 0

Pros and cons of incorporating line color with station for Chicago

I hesitate to bring this up but will anyway.

A distinction has to be made between the physical line versus the operational line, or route, service, whatever is the best terminology. I believe this is even more of an issue in New York than Chicago due to its greater size and complexity.

For example, when I was young, the what is now the Pink line was called Douglas/Milwaukee and ran through the Dearborn Street subway out to Logan Square, as did what is now the Blue Line which was called Congress/Milwaukee. Now of course the Blue Line still runs through the Dearborn Street subway to Logan Square and beyond to O'Hare, while the Pink line circles around the (elevated) loop and returns to 54th/Cermak.

The point is that over the years Chicago has changed the way the trains run even though the physical rail lines remain largely the same. So if you used the line color with the station name, the stations would have to be renamed whenever the routing of the trains changed.

Last edited by schweitzerdude; October 5th, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
schweitzerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #362
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

This was already posted in the Chicago sub-forum but I figured I might as well post it here.

CTA named most romantic transit system
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #364
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Mayor Emanuel and Governor Quinn Announce $1 Billion to Rebuild CTA’s Busiest Train Line
11/3/2011
http://www.transitchicago.com/news/d...ArticleId=2937
State Capital Investment to Create More Than 2,700 Jobs, Eliminate Slow Zones, Repair Tracks, Improve Stations on Red and Purple Lines

Governor Pat Quinn and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel today announced a $646 million state capital investment grant to repair and rebuild the Chicago Transit Authority’s Red Line and improve the Purple Line. The Illinois Jobs Now! capital program investment will be combined with other state, local and federal funds for an overall commitment of $1 billion to create more than 2,700 jobs by overhauling a critical piece of the region’s transit system that accounts for nearly 40 percent of ridership on the CTA’s rail network.

“Since I became Governor I have focused on creating jobs and improving transportation service for our citizens,” Governor Quinn said. “This major investment in the CTA’s Red Line does both. It will quickly put people to work now and improve the quality of life for Chicago residents for years to come by ensuring safe, reliable travel between their jobs, their homes and their families.”

“Chicago is a city on the move, and we must be able to move our residents with the speed and comfort that mark modern transportation,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “These investments will make our city a more enticing place to live, to start a business, to raise a family.”

Today’s announcement from Governor Quinn’s Illinois Jobs Now! capital plan brings the total state investment to $702.4 million for the Red and Purple Lines to date. Combined with $255.5 million in federal funding and $44.1 million from the city, the total over $1 billion investment in the Red Line will rebuild sections of deteriorated tracks to eliminate slow zones, replace or repair aging stations, install new power systems to improve performance and upgrade a significant portion of the Purple Line. Construction starts in 2012 and will last three years.

Some highlights among the Red Line improvements are plans to replace the tracks between 18th and 95th streets and provide upgrades to stations between Cermak and 95th Streets. Currently, almost 35 percent of the Dan Ryan branch is limited to speeds of less than 35 mph, with almost 20 percent of the branch restricted to a top speed of 15 mph. Without the investment made by Governor Quinn today, more than 60 percent of the Dan Ryan branch would operate under slow zones in 2012.

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #365
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

As seems to be the standard with American rolling stock: Brand new, yet looks like it's 30 years old. A real shame.
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #366
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
As seems to be the standard with American rolling stock: Brand new, yet looks like it's 30 years old. A real shame.
That was exactly my thought as well.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #367
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

I think it's because of FRA regulations.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #368
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Brand new, yet looks like it's 30 years old. A real shame.
More like a pity. Once upon a semi-century, N America used to be design-savvy, design-oriented ... it's been so long now, scolding ourselves would be pointless.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #369
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
There actually laxed for subways and LRt unlike Regional Rail....its cheaper to go crapper Unfortnatly and many agencies do this....this isn't limited to the US anymore...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #370
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

As long as it runs efficiently and is relatively clean I dont really care that much about the design. I care more about services.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #371
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
As long as it runs efficiently and is relatively clean I dont really care that much about the design. I care more about services.
+1

It's Chicago, not Disney World.
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #372
trainrover

Maybe to locals, but to outsiders the steady accumulation of careless taste risks saying too much about the place ... just as midwestern as Toronto, this thinking seems to me.
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #373
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Maybe to locals, but to outsiders the steady accumulation of careless taste risks saying too much about the place ... just as midwestern as Toronto, this thinking seems to me.
I know this might sound strange to you but to most outsiders (ie pretty much everyone except train enthusiasts) they could care less about how the rolling stock looks. The public pretty much only looks for four things in a rail system:

a)convenience
b)safety
c)ease of use
d)cleanliness.
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #374
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

That only really goes for the systems in Chicago and the Northeast, where tradition plays a big role.

In the rest of the US, transit systems just look like the era they were built in.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #375
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Do FRA regulations apply to transit systems that will never (and cannot) interact with freight trains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I know this might sound strange to you but to most outsiders (ie pretty much everyone except train enthusiasts) they could care less about how the rolling stock looks. The public pretty much only looks for four things in a rail system:

a)convenience
b)safety
c)ease of use
d)cleanliness.
Transit customers still deserve something nice to look at and experience.

Does anyone remember the mockups?

There were others but I can't find them. They showed different color interiors, including one with wood paneling on the modesty panels and one without.
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #376
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

I think Chicago's general rolling stock design looks awesome. Especially given that these are SUBWAY cars. London's Rolling stock NEEDED a redesign because their Rolling stock was flat out HIDEOUS. Look at Moscow Metro's stock. Love the system, hate the look of the trains. Plus, in Toronto Canada they just received their new "rocket" cars that are completely redesigned and look futuristic.

For me, subway cars have always had a general design to them no matter the city and I've never seen any need for them to completely redesign the cars.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #377
trainrover

Not to me, Toronto's don't ... nice that the rivets have been done away with, although it looks about as altogether inspiring as Mexico City's inaugural fleets (from the same era as the one filmed below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Chicago, not Disney World.
You needn't kid yerself about disneyesqueness:

This fact, however, was not widely publicized during the fair, as it was felt the public would not readily board a train controlled entirely by a computer. Operators from Montreal's transit union were placed in cabs at the front and given mundane tasks such as opening and closing the doors of the train to reduce boredom.

You see, (a) the resource gets it wrong about the Expo Express being the first ATO on the continent, it was the world, having beaten out London's Victoria Line by several days, (b) sadly, ATO's steadily becoming all the rage the world over.

Last edited by trainrover; November 22nd, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: now viewed Toronto's boas for myself
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #378
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #379
flapane

Likes (Received): 2150

Short clip from last summer. I've found the grid system with distances from Madison/State to be ingenious, it's impossible to get lost.

Last edited by flapane; February 6th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
flapane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #380
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

February 2012 CTA news in Chicago, as seen on Grid Chicago:

image hosted on flickr

Photo of the new record holders for riding the entire 'L'.

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport