daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:11 AM   #41
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metra

Quote:
Metra (Officially known as the Northeast Illinois Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation) is a Regional rail that serves the city of Chicago, Illinois, and surrounding cities, many of them Chicago suburbs. The railroad serves over 200 stations on 11 different rail lines across the Regional Transportation Authority's six-county service area (Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties) providing over 80 million rides annually. Metra has been honored with several E.H. Harriman Awards for employee safety, most recently with a Bronze award in class B (line-haul railroads with between 4 and 15 million employee hours per year) for 2005. Previous Harriman Awards conferred to Metra include Gold awards for 2003 and 2004 and a Silver award for 2002.
http://www.metrarail.com

Cook county on the map above is 946 square miles.

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #42
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

The El is really decrepit. The Blue Line is particularily bad. One trip on that line can last 20 min and the next an hour. The CTA has plans to work on the El tracks (which are in bad shape, obvious to anyone who has ridden the system) and the stations, many of which are made of wood and haven't be remodeled since the 1950's. The problem as I understand it is that the CTA is facing a severe budget defecit and cannot afford to maintain service much less improve it. All that being said, riding th El is really an experience and the views from the Loop stations are amazing.
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM   #43
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
Thats the worst thing you could do to chicago.

Its such a pleasure to drive through the streets on the +1,5 level, not underground, like any other city.

Thats what I meant with the EL being so much a part of Chicago.
To each their own. I just doubt they would be having quite as many problems if they had the downtown route converted into a subway from the get-go.

Quote:
But they should renovate it, so that it looks nice from underneath.
Right now it looks, as if it falls apart within the next 15 minutes
I have a question -would it be cheaper simply to convert the El (and the downtown portions of other lines) into a subway as opposed to making extensive renovations?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM   #44
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I doubt it. Subways cost about 3 times as much to build as elevated trains, to throw out a rough figure.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:02 AM   #45
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

I just want everyone to know that I am no mass transit expert, but just an ordinary citizen with a passing interest in this subject, so don't press me too hard.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I doubt it. Subways cost about 3 times as much to build as elevated trains, to throw out a rough figure.
I meant in total costs -I realize subways cost more upfront, but at the same time wouldn't they require less maintenance as opposed to an elevated line? And wouldn't they last much longer? And wouldn't it be safer for the general public to have it put underground instead of constantly worrying about something falling off those steel beams? Or having the whole thing collapse on you?

Last edited by jam5; July 22nd, 2007 at 08:43 PM.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #46
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

wait doesn't the chicago L has two subway lines??? running thru the city loop??

they are the red line and the blue line that runs thru the city why are people saying that the Loop if Chicago has two subway lines???

also chicago has an extensive and well served Regional Rail service i mean its increadible its huge

also the Chicago L is impressive as well since its mostly eleveted like our Miami Metrorail but to me i wish the Miami Metrorail would expand greatly into a huge network i wish for that to happen

but anyways though chicago is a great city nevertheless but well it has alot of history to it

i think also the most recent line for the chicago l is the orange and the pink line the latter the most recent and the other a brand new metro line???
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #47
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

Yes, the Orange Line is a brand new line, opened in 1993. The Pink Line is on a line that has been open over 100 years, but it's basically new cause they rebuilt the lines its runs on (Paulina Connector, and Cermak Branch)

Here are some future projects:
Circle Line: Runs South via Orange Line, the north connecting with the Paulina Connector, then extended north from the Paulina Connector to the State St. Subway, then back onto Orange Line.

Red Line: Extend South to Stony Island Ave/130th

Yellow Line: Extend to Orchard Road, add infill stations

Orange Line: Extend to Ford City Mall

Here are some Dead proposals:

Blue Line: add O'hare Express, with a downtown terminal where you can check bags, and get boarding passes. Extend line to Woodfield mall in Schaumburg.

Orange Line: Midway Express plan

Here are some of my plans:

Blue Line: Extend to Schaumburg, and further west on the Douglas branch.

Red Line: Extend to Harvey

Brown Line: Extend further Northwest

Green Line: Extend further west, extend south through Hyde Park, Metra Electric tracks, South Chicago branch to 93rd, with an extension to Indiana

Pink Line: Extend west/southwest

Orange Line: Extend South

Purple Line: All day express to loop

Yellow Line: All day express to loop
Tcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:20 AM   #48
ilovechicago91

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
wait doesn't the chicago L has two subway lines??? running thru the city loop??

they are the red line and the blue line that runs thru the city why are people saying that the Loop if Chicago has two subway lines???
Not really, the red line stars above ground, goes undergound comes back out. Same with the Blue lines. All part of their respective lines.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM   #49
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

yeah its not a true subway line i understand that but the fact that the Red and Blue lines go underground into the center of the city is considered a metro (subway)

and another factor is that they are underground a couple of blocks seperated to each other but underground

why was the tunnels built if many people complain about the L?? why do they complain?

do the trains go fast when they are on the subway lines i just want to know

i noticed that chicago L has a very nice automated announcments like if i was in disney world thats really cool it adds to the friendly way of travel feeling it feels friendler and safer

i wish the Miami metrorail would have automated announcments that would be cool in the train
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #50
ilovechicago91

Likes (Received): 1

may seem silly, but I think the orange line should be open 24 hours. For midway flyers. Do you think the El will be open for 24 hours again like it was 15+ years ago?
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #51
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

House fails to pass transit bill
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...26246&seenIt=1

Transit funding plan fails in Illinois House

(AP) — A plan to raise taxes to help Chicago-area mass transit systems has failed in the Illinois House.

But supporters say they'll continue trying to build support. They hope to prevent fare increases and service cuts that are planned for Sept. 16.

The vote on the funding plan was 61-48. It needed 71 votes to pass.

The plan called for increasing sales taxes in Cook County and the five surrounding "collar" counties. It also would have raised a real estate tax in Chicago.

The new money would have been accompanied by reforms and management changes at the Chicago Transit Authority, Metra rail service and Pace bus service.

But some opponents said mass transit improvements should be part of a statewide construction program.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich objected to the measure's tax increase.

The CTA has warned that it will cut 39 bus routes and raise some cash rail fares by half, to $3 from $2, on Sept. 16 without additional funding from Springfield. In the absence of a bailout from Springfield, the CTA's service would be "decimated" next year, an agency executive said earlier this month.

Without new funding, Metra plans to divert $60 million of its capital budget to fund operations this year, which would reduce the amount the agency can spend on track maintenance and equipment. Executive Director Phil Pagano has said his agency could be forced to raise fares 10% to 15% next year, reduce weekend service and possibly reduce weekday rush-hour service.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #52
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3608

some awesome shots can be taken riding the L.

Songoten2554: Miami's MetroRail can't expand very much 'cause Miami isn't very wide.
LMCA1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #53
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
They say Loop because the term dates back to the days of the cable cars where they would 'loop' around near Marshall Fields. When the EL was built, there were no subways and the tracks 'looped' downtown, so the name was extended to mean the elevated tracks around the CBD.

The subways didn't get built until mid 40's I believe (don't quote me on that!). They are subways no matter how long they stay underground...1 mile or 10 miles. However, we just call the whole system the EL even if we are referring to the subway part of it.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #54
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovechicago91 View Post
may seem silly, but I think the orange line should be open 24 hours. For midway flyers. Do you think the El will be open for 24 hours again like it was 15+ years ago?
The Red and Blue lines (most traveled) are both open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Here are a few other pictures

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #55
Lightness
En travesti

Likes (Received): 62

The last photo surprises me. Why doesn't the L increase revenue by letting in the advertisers into the station. Those grey walls are just weird in this day and age.
Lightness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #56
Chicagoago

There are ads in those stations, just not where the picture was taken. You can see a few of them on the right.

The system is providing 49,600,000 more unlinked trips than it did in 1995, but because the funding is trailing inflation increases, the system has lost an extra $1,600,000,000 in funding due to inflation alone(than if it would have been kept consistant with 1980's funding).

One issue has been the CTA's huge spending on capital improvements, but not on the operations side. They've rebuilt the blue line, green lines, created the orange line, and are now rebuilding portions of the red line and the entire brown line. They're also buying hundreds of new busses and have options out to purchase 703 new rail cars over the next few years. On top of that they're working with the city to rebuild from scratch all subway stations on the red line downtown. If you look at operations though, there are slow zones and massive portions of the system because they're not doing even basic upkeep. The Federal Government just blasted the CTA in an audit that found the system is one of the worst kept (if not THE worst kept) in the country. The CTA is using this (or at least they'd better) to shove it in the face of the State of Illinois explaining to them that Illinois has done a very piss poor job at funding the system the past 20 years. People in the state outside of Chicago HATE giving money to the city for anything, especially "evil" and mismanaged public transit.

Last edited by Chicagoago; September 18th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #57
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

Snapped this past summer.....

image hosted on flickr

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #58
Chicagoago

Chicago - Elevated / Surface / Subway Lines. A Bit Of Everything

Here is a spread on Chicago's elevated/subway/surface lines that make up the CTA's heavy rail.

There are 8 routes with 144 stations that make up the system. The system was partially shut down from the 1950's through the 1980's as the city in general delined and suffered. The system is constantly under-funded and in poor shape. Regardless of funding issues, the rail system's usage has skyrocketed from the early 1990's when the city finally turned the corner and started to rebuild itself and once again become a desirable place to live.

Rail ridership this year is the highest in over 40 years, and had surpassed the 500 billion rides mark for 2008. Daily ridership is now well over 700,000 after falling as low as around 460,000 only 7 years ago. Consequently the system now not only in need of huge upgrades and reconstruction, it's suffering from crushing crowds during rush hour and difficulty keeping schedules on time as even with minimum headways, the rush hour demand on many lines exceeds the capacity. They upgraded one of the most crowded lines to hold 33% more riders during the past two years, but ridership has grown as well and now that the project is finished, it's hard to see results.

Anyway, it might not be as pretty as it could be, but people in Chicago have great pride in the trains and they are a critical asset to the city's ability to have such a hugly dense central business district.

I'll post the Subway, Elevated, as well as Surface lines. The surface lines aren't like trams, they're still heavy rail, but in some very select areas (very very few stations are actually at grade, just a small handfull) the trains cross streets at grade with cars. There's never really been any issues with this set-up though, and no one is proposing elevating these sections.

Last edited by Chicagoago; January 12th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #59
Chicagoago

Here are the subway's....

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #60
Chicagoago

Surfact portions of the lines:

Tags