daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #641
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Roosevelt underground

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #642
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #643
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

95th Street (Red Line) station reconstruction

In 2014, CTA will begin a $240 million reconstruction project for this station on the South Side, the southern terminus of the Red Line.

image hosted on flickr

95th/Dan Ryan Terminal Station Renderings by cta web, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

95th/Dan Ryan Terminal Station Renderings by cta web, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

95th/Dan Ryan Renderings by cta web, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

suburbicide liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #644
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Rahm Emanuel is cool guy as he revitilezes the L and the transport. If court not allowed him to run for mayor, Chicago won't see such changes. That's what I think anyway
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #645
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Rahm Emanuel is cool guy as he revitilezes the L and the transport. If court not allowed him to run for mayor, Chicago won't see such changes. That's what I think anyway
All of the projects the CTA is undertaking were in planning prior to the election. It's unclear what Mayor Emanuel's influence is. He should get credit in ensuring the projects continued at a good pace, and he probably had some influence on helping the CTA obtain federal funding "sooner rather than later".

Here's a story the Chicago Tribune published at the time of the election telling how these were already in the works.

dimlys1994 liked this post
stevevance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #646
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6225011.story

4-year, $492M Blue Line project to be announced today

By Jon Hilkevitch

Tribune reporter

9:20 a.m. CST, December 5, 2013

The CTA is promising faster trips between downtown and O'Hare International Airport on the Blue Line after a four-year modernization project that will be announced Thursday.

The $492 million project will include improvements to the tracks, station houses, signals and power supply.

By eliminating slow zones and allowing trains to operate at top speeds of 55 mph during longer segments, CTA officials predict that travel times between downtown and O'Hare, which now take about 50 minutes, will be cut by up to 10 minutes.

Currently, Blue Line trains operating to and from O’Hare and the Loop incur speed restrictions ranging from 35 mph to 15 mph as a precautionary measure following track inspections that found that the wooden rail ties were in poor condition and in need of replacement, the CTA said this summer.

Officials said the work will be the largest investment in the Blue Line since it was extended from Jefferson Park to O’Hare 30 years ago.
The Blue Line's O'Hare branch provided more than 25 million rides last year.
A start date was not immediately announced.

But in August, the CTA approved a $20.4 million contract to hire Kiewit Infrastructure Co. as the general contractor to perform track and structural work on the O'Hare branch between the Damen and Logan Square stations. The project is designed to address slow zones that haven't been repaired during previous construction projects, officials said. Work was set to start in the spring and be completed in 2014, officials said.

Between 2007 and 2009, CTA completed two projects that targeted slow zones affecting service between the O’Hare and Addison stations and the stretch of track north of Division to south of Clinton in the Dearborn subway.

FM 2258 liked this post
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #647
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7074567.story

Plan to rebuild Red, Purple Lines gets boost from federal government

By Jon Hilkevitch

Tribune reporter

9:45 a.m. CST, November 19, 2013

The CTA's costly long-range plan to rebuild the Red Line on the North Side and the Purple Line in Evanston received a boost today from the federal government.

The Federal Transit Administration has decided that the CTA can compete for funding for the rehabilitation project, estimated to cost more than $4 billion, through a program that is generally limited to new construction to expand transit lines.

That doesn't guarantee funding under the "new starts" grant program, but the transit administration allowed the CTA to apply because the Red-Purple Modernization project will add much-needed capacity and deliver more reliable service to the most heavily traveled CTA rail line, officials said.

The project will involve rebuilding the Red and Purple Line tracks, replacing stations and overhauling viaducts and the elevated embankment from north of Belmont through Evanston.

Various options and designs are under consideration and would cost between roughly $2 billion to more than $4 billion to engineer and construct, officials said.

The CTA is the first transit agency to receive FTA approval to apply for funding under a new "core capacity" program, according to U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, a Democrat from Illinois.

"The CTA can begin moving forward on the environmental work necessary for design construction of the planned rebuilding," said Durbin spokeswoman Christina Mulka.
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #648
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

OAK FOREST, ILLINOIS | Metra Station

New Metra depot opened on 2013.12.20

source: http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/ne...t-rolling.html

nomarandlee liked this post
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #649
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

By 'depot', do you just mean 'station'? Over here a 'depot' is where trains are stored and maintained. I figured you guys use it to mean the really big terminal stations too, but that looks like a smaller commuter station to me.

Incidentally if anyone has a geographically accurate map (as opposed to a diagrammatic one) of the full Metra system, I'd love to see one, to get some idea of how far outside Chicago (and Illinois) it extends.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #650
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Yes, depot in this case simply means station. Depot is an older term, and I think hearkens back to a time when the station was also a water-filling, coal-replenishing place – train maintenance – but is still used to mean station.

Metra has the train lines overlaying a Google Map on their website. It extends quite far and it has been extended (at least once that I know of) in the past 10 years. There's a study this year about extending it past Aurora to Yorkville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
By 'depot', do you just mean 'station'? Over here a 'depot' is where trains are stored and maintained. I figured you guys use it to mean the really big terminal stations too, but that looks like a smaller commuter station to me.

Incidentally if anyone has a geographically accurate map (as opposed to a diagrammatic one) of the full Metra system, I'd love to see one, to get some idea of how far outside Chicago (and Illinois) it extends.
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #651
elliot42

Likes (Received): 52

There's also talk (always talk) of extending Metra out to ROckford, and if the Wisconsin Governor gets out of the way, to Milwaukee as well. I'd also like to see Metra go out to Kankakee, as I think it is a reasonable terminus, and certainly is a lot closer than say, South Bend IN.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #652
MarqKev

Likes (Received): 253

Actually, the last time they were asked (2006) metra declined to extend service to Milwaukee. Hence the KRM commuter rail project that was supposed to connect Milwaukee to the end of the metra service in Kenosha. The head of metra at the time was against that project as well, for fear it would interrupt freight traffic on the corridor and decrease metra's reliability. The KRM project was, of course, killed by the election of our (Wisconsin's) current governor.
MarqKev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #653
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

The only line I can think of off the top of my head that I think it makes clear sense to extend is part of the Milwaukee District North Line to Gurnee/Wadsworth in far north Lake County.

This would actually be just creating a north spurt just north of Libertyville where the MD-N starts to veer Northwest. This new spur is already a rail line that that goes due north. Over the last 25 years Gurnee and north Lake County have exploded in population and there is a gigantic territorial gap between Fox Lake and Kenosha where the MD-N and UP-North Lines are. This extension wouldn't really be going any farther north then the terminus stations of Kenosha or Fox Lake of those other lines in actuality which I think is important. Most of these other proposals for extensions on these other lines risk stretching the practical limits of the suburban fringe both in terms of recovering service revenue and helping create further suburban sprawl instead of alleviating it.

Granted this is from 1999 but I remember reading an article 3-4 years of an official proposal that was essentially the same........

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...acific-railway
Metra and Lake County will soon study the possibility of extending the commuter rail service's Milwaukee District North Line to Wadsworth and attracting riders along the way from Gurnee, Waukegan and Abbott Park.

Unlike several other recent proposed Metra extensions that would require the construction of new track or take a slow and circuitous route, the Wadsworth service would be a relatively direct 11-mile shot north from Rondout on track owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Amtrak already operates 14 fast trains daily on the Canadian Pacific freight tracks between Chicago and Milwaukee.

In addition to helping reduce traffic congestion in Lake County, which already is served by three Metra lines, the extension would provide an alternative to Interstate Highway 94 and U.S. Highway 41 for those headed to the Gurnee Mills Outlet Center or the Great America Amusement Park.

Workers traveling to the Gurnee Industrial Park or to Abbott Park from as far away as Chicago's southern suburbs or Wisconsin likewise would benefit from the extension.

Metra planning documents obtained by the Tribune also state that by providing the potential to store trains in Wadsworth, the extension would allow increased service to passengers using Metra stations at Deerfield, Lake-Cook Road, Northbrook and Glenview..

A 1992 preliminary study by Metra's planning department estimated the total cost of an extension at $50 million, which included track and signal upgrades on the Canadian Pacific freight line as well as new stations and parking lots.

The Canadian Pacific operates about 20 freight trains a day on the double-track line. A spokesman for the railroad would neither endorse nor reject Metra's idea.........
Old December 28th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #654
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The blue line definitely needs an overhaul. I guess 10 minutes is good but it would be nice if taking the train would be faster than taking the freeway. Get the trains to run at 100mph or faster. 55mph seems kinda slow for what's available in the rest of the world for rapid public transportation.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #655
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Quote:
The blue line definitely needs an overhaul. I guess 10 minutes is good but it would be nice if taking the train would be faster than taking the freeway. Get the trains to run at 100mph or faster. 55mph seems kinda slow for what's available in the rest of the world for rapid public transportation.
I don't understand Chicago sometimes. Only a few years ago, the CTA Renewed The Blue, completely ripping out the track and ballast, and laying brand new track. This was back in 2008-2009 from Belmont (I think) to O'Hare. Why do they need to fix what was new 5 years ago?

These pictures were taken in September, 2008. As you can see, they completely shut down significant stretches of track while they ripped the old track out and replaces it with new track. They provided shuttle busses to bridge the gap.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

FM 2258 liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #656
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
I don't understand Chicago sometimes. Only a few years ago, the CTA Renewed The Blue, completely ripping out the track and ballast, and laying brand new track. This was back in 2008-2009 from Belmont (I think) to O'Hare. Why do they need to fix what was new 5 years ago?

These pictures were taken in September, 2008. As you can see, they completely shut down significant stretches of track while they ripped the old track out and replaces it with new track. They provided shuttle busses to bridge the gap.
Not 100% familiar with the Chicago El, but I believe this project is referring to fixing the elevated sections of the north end of the line, and they project you're referring to is replacing the ground running sections on the south end of the line. Both very much needed, both completely separate projects.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #657
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Yep. That is my understanding as well. Basically what was needed on the rest of the line in terms of track work is getting done now.

Some of the station houses along portions of the line they fixed up 4 years ago are also getting some rehab along with some signaling upgrades at various points of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I agree with you of course. However given that Kennedy is one of the busiest and logged jam freeways in the nation that often can take 1 hour to get from downtown to O'Hare the Blue Line is in fact often faster then the Kennedy expressway.

Now when the Kennedy is free flowing it can take less then 20 minutes to get from downtown to O'Hare. In that case the Blue Line doesn't stand a chance but to be fair even that line was amongst some of the fastest subway lines in the world it still could never match the Kennedy when it is free flowing (which isn't much of the time) especially given it has upwards of 17 stops.

FM 2258 liked this post
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #658
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

image hosted on flickr

CTA Holiday Train 2013 - Blue Line by cta web, on Flickr

Santa Claus rides the L:

image hosted on flickr

CTA Holiday Train 2013 - Blue Line by cta web, on Flickr
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #659
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 31

Any pictures of CTA Chicago Subway, during this "Polar Vortex" ? How overground sections have been working during this period of freezing and snowy weather ?
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #660
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
Any pictures of CTA Chicago Subway, during this "Polar Vortex" ? How overground sections have been working during this period of freezing and snowy weather ?

Never Needed Coffee So Much by Chicago Man, on Flickr

Untitled by GXM., on Flickr

Clybourn Lasers by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Commuters, Frozen for Freshness by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Hyde Park Blues by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Under the Met Bridge by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Brown Line at 15 Below Zero by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Shivering at Southport by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

Ashland station by Thanasis Alatsidis, on Flickr

suburbicide, rdgnrdgn, VincentB_, Swede liked this post

Tags