daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #761
stephendavion

Likes (Received): 172

stephendavion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #762
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
How many kilometers of new line are due to open in the next 5 years? How many new stations?
Zero!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #763
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
How many kilometers of new line are due to open in the next 5 years? How many new stations?
Two new infill stations are planned for period. There are also Red & Blue line extensions still in planning, but we would see them later
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #764
dimlys1994

California station on Blue line is now reopened:

California Renovated (Your New Blue) by cta web, on Flickr

Old October 17th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #765
Falubaz

Well, it still looks old, just fresher

And the banner
"Building a new Chicago" is a joke. They didnt build anything new. It should say more like:

"Trying Chicago not to fall apart".
The 'L' system is so neglected that all the CTA does is trying to keep it in a shape to run.

I think ppl need still more shelters. Great they are 'kinda new' now, but a metro system isnt there just to be 'nice' and 'old' or 'like it was before'. It has to move ppl fast, safe and comfortable.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG

dimlys1994, Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post

Last edited by Falubaz; October 17th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #766
Falubaz

Some more of my pisc from the summer:
[IMG]http://i61.************/zvea6c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.************/1055ixd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i59.************/1zd6wd4.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 17th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #767
Falubaz

[IMG]http://i62.************/nq1jqu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i59.************/hvt5xx.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #768
Falubaz

[IMG]http://i61.************/2la7igx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.************/2uj60i9.jpg[/IMG]

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #769
Falubaz

[IMG]http://i60.************/rh2xkm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/aviyav.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #770
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Well, it still looks old, just fresher

And the banner
"Building a new Chicago" is a joke. They didnt build anything new. It should say more like:

"Trying Chicago not to fall apart".
The 'L' system is so neglected that all the CTA does is trying to keep it in a shape to run.
Really? They've been dumping hundreds of millions, billions really, into the system the past 10 years or so. Ripped down every Brown Line station and rebuilt them from the ground up, closed down the Green Line and rebuilt the entire thing during the 1990's, closed down the Red Line south branch last year and ripped up about 15KM of track and put in entirely new track as well as signals and electronics and rehabilitated the stations, ripped down and completely rebuilt the Pink Line around 2005, gutted and have been rebuilding every subway station downtown one at a time, or at a minimum doing major renovation work if not complete rebuilds of the station houses and platform upgrades. The northwest branch of the Blue Line is big rebuilt in sections right now with these station closings, etc, and the west branch of the Blue Line and the very major rebuilding of the north branch of the Red/Purple lines is coming up in the next few years. My favorite change the past few years has been finally putting electronic signs in every station and GPS on the cars to tell you the exact timing of the next few arriving trains. I loved that when I saw it in Europe and greatly anticipated it coming to Chicago. It helps a lot just to know when the next train will come, I use the app on my phone every day.

On top of that they had the largest capital program ever in purchasing an entirely new fleet of new train cars, half of which have been delivered to date.

All those rebuilt stations are specifically designed to look old. They're repairing and rebuilding, but they're doing it to the historical aspects of the system. They're not trying to make it look new, for better or worse.

It's a very old system and they don't have much money, I'm amazed at how much work they've done on everything the past 10 years, it's non-stop. There are a lot of laws and provisions about making changes to the L because it's a historical landmark for the most part. They try to keep the aspects of it similar to how it was built with the wooden platforms and a lot of other items. Many people think they should use modern material and change everything - but really it works fine as it is.

They could spend billions and billions and rebuild the system, but there's other uses for that money. Overall it all works just fine, it has been for 100 years.

Last edited by Chicagoago; October 21st, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #771
Chicagoago

Quote:
The distance between La Salle/Van Buren and Library is shorter than the platforms at those stations. So what's the point of keeping them two so close, i think it's odd (if not just stupid)?

IF then it shouldnt hurt in this particulary case as well.

It's just weird for me. Always when i travel on the loop it takes ages. Trains stay longer at the stations than they actually travel between them. It's waste of time and waste of the capacity of the loop in my opinion.
A lot of it is because of how the system works. It has very sharp turns which requires short cars and only up to 8 car trains run in the loop because of how the stations on the lines were developed way back when. The entrances are on the sidewalks and not in buildings, so there's constraints for the most part on how large they can be to get thousands of people in there. The whole thing is only as wide as the roadway.

There are around 500,000 people who work downtown in the loop every day and a lot more down there for schools, tourists, visitors, business, shopping, etc. Most of the usage comes at very determined time periods, from around 7am to 9am and then from 4:30pm to 7pm. The stations are all PACKED during those times, and they developed what seems like far too many stations because it was the best way at the time to get, what is today ridership at those loop stations of 80,000 exited in the morning and then boarded again on the trains in the afternoon. There are another 116,000 boardings at the downtown subway stations.

They did consolidate two stations on west side of the loop in the 1980's and next year are going to consolidate two stations on the east side.

You can consolidate too many though or you're going to have a crunch on the ground of people trying to get to fewer and fewer stations as well as do efficient boarding once the people are in the station.

I've been taking it every day for 13 years now, I like it for the most part. When it's raining or snowing I've never had a problem just standing under the section of the platform that's covered. I mean realistically it's only actively snowing and raining for a very short period of time each year.

Last edited by Chicagoago; October 20th, 2014 at 11:33 PM.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:21 AM   #772
Falubaz

It's all true - that millions have been spent. It's also true that they ripped up kilometers of tracks, renovated stations and so on but this doesnt make a real improvement, it's just 'reanimation' The 'L' is now on the ER, 'coz it's falling apart. It has to be done, but what they are doing it's just 'saving the life', not getting it into a good shape.

The brown line and pink line have significant sections with level crossings, which excludes them as a 'real metros'. Huge sections of the system are 'bumping', there are lot's of speed limits, the sharp curves slow down trains. It's true the system is old. And it takes a lot of effort to make it better, especialy now, after decades of degligence.
But why the works are being done as if we were in XX century?
There are new cars - treu. But why do they look like the old ones?
Why the old technology, and old design was used? Tradition? - Chicago claims to be a 'world class city' not Britain with its silly 'traditional' separate tops for hot and cold water - now - when even the third world uses just one top.
Modern transport needs new solutions.

Old October 21st, 2014, 04:40 PM   #773
Chicagoago

Quote:
It's all true - that millions have been spent. It's also true that they ripped up kilometers of tracks, renovated stations and so on but this doesnt make a real improvement, it's just 'reanimation' The 'L' is now on the ER, 'coz it's falling apart. It has to be done, but what they are doing it's just 'saving the life', not getting it into a good shape. The brown line and pink line have significant sections with level crossings, which excludes them as a 'real metros'. Huge sections of the system are 'bumping', there are lot's of speed limits, the sharp curves slow down trains. It's true the system is old. And it takes a lot of effort to make it better, especialy now, after decades of degligence. But why the works are being done as if we were in XX century? There are new cars - treu. But why do they look like the old ones? Why the old technology, and old design was used? Tradition? - Chicago claims to be a 'world class city' not Britain with its silly 'traditional' separate tops for hot and cold water - now - when even the third world uses just one top. Modern transport needs new solutions.
You talk like they're just duct taking everything and putting plywood over holes to "save its life" and keep it from crumbling. Look up the actual projects, I think you're misunderstanding the work. You don't spend billions on an existing system just to keep it from crumbling.

They're using old designs and keeping true to the historical aspects of the system because it's what fits and it's also appreciating the historical aspects. They aren't using any old technology. The new signals, trains, substations, elevators, gps and electronic signage are all new technology. The old train designs are copied because they work perfectly fine and already have designs in place and fit around the sharp turns. Why make it all crazy modern with the design. It's brand new technology for the old design.

I like the L. I feel comfortable on it and it relaxes me. I'm actually on it right now going to the airport. You're expecting a lot from a system that only carries 780,000 per day and is 100 years old! Find $10 billion and then we can talk. Right now it is what it is. The city WANTS to upgrade everything much more than they are, but chicago isn't exactly a boomtown flush with cash. It's doing just fine, but it still has other problems to focus on with finances.
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:19 PM   #774
Falubaz

Ok. Let it be.

Here is the Brown line. I knew there is one or two level crossings of the 'L' in Chicago,
but i didnt expect to find 'half of the line' like that!
[IMG]http://i57.************/28guhhj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/2j1a880.jpg[/IMG]

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:26 PM   #775
Falubaz

[IMG]http://i58.************/10x95ig.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/5eubg9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.************/2hourzr.jpg[/IMG]

WingTips liked this post

Last edited by Falubaz; October 21st, 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:40 AM   #776
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

It is like that for about one mile, on a 102 mile system, so stop whining. I got to ride the system not too long ago, and it had some nice elements to it, and was definitely a real metro system.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Last edited by CNB30; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:14 AM.
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:29 AM   #777
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Ok. Let it be.

Here is the Brown line. I knew there is one or two level crossings of the 'L' in Chicago,
but i didnt expect to find 'half of the line' like that!
The trains have signal priority at the level crossing so I don't get why you're saying is not a real rapid transit system.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:39 PM   #778
Falubaz

Because that's one of the most important factors of reliable transportation system - independence form other trafic. If there is a car stuck in the middle of the tracks, the trafic on the line will be interrupt and in few minutes service will be affected on the whole line. That's why metros are NEVER built like the brown line.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #779
dimlys1994

Canopy for new Cermak-McCormick station:

Cermak-McCormick Pl. Station Canopy Segments by cta web, on Flickr

Generación93 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #780
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Metra Ravenswood station

Chicago's commuter rail network Metra is building a new station on the Union Pacific North (Ogilvie-Kenosha) line. The Ravenswood station on the north side of Chicago will replace an old station with the same name that was located nearby.

IMG_2651 by trapgosh, on Flickr

source: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/10/1...od-metra-stop/

The station is scheduled to open next month.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport