daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #61
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Elevated portion

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #62
Chicagoago

Last edited by Chicagoago; January 12th, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #63
Chicagoago

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #64
Minato ku

Do you have info about the trains (numbers, dates, lenght, width) ?
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #65
tuckerbox

Likes (Received): 21

Well done. Some of the gradients and sharp curves, just amazing.
Do the Trains suffer from Counductor rail power dropouts on the sharp curves?
The Commuters seem a happy bunch smiling on the trains-- we are given the impression over here that it is a dangerous place full of gun toting Gangsters!
tuckerbox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #66
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Do you have info about the trains (numbers, dates, lenght, width) ?
there are 4 models of trains in usage, and the most recent were delivered in 1992. The oldest trains in use are from 1969 and were rehabbed in 1990.

The trains are coupled together into permenant "twins", so the length of trains is always a multiple of 2. Low ridership lines, and during off-peak hours many lines will only run 4 train cars. There are also sets of 6 train cars, and normally at rush hour many main lines will use 8 car trains.

The trains are a little less than 3 meters wide, and around 16 meters long. They are all air conditioned and heated, and there are two sets of doors on each car. The train cars tend to be smaller than many cities, as there are a lot of tight turns on many elevated sections.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #67
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerbox View Post
Well done. Some of the gradients and sharp curves, just amazing.
Do the Trains suffer from Counductor rail power dropouts on the sharp curves?
The Commuters seem a happy bunch smiling on the trains-- we are given the impression over here that it is a dangerous place full of gun toting Gangsters!
There are actually poles that train conductors can use to connect the train to the 3rd rail if contact is lost (normally at a curve). As long as one train car is connected though, it can supply power and pull the rest of the cars through a curve. Only when they are running 2 car trains would they actually see this problem. They rarely (I'm not sure if they actually do on any lines anymore) run 2 car trains, and they'd rarely lose power.

You can tell on a car when the power is lost, because the air blower (for either heat or air conditioning) will click off for 3-4 seconds and then start back up again. Once every month or two the lights (in my experience, I ride every day) will go out on the cars for a few seconds, but no one seems to notice. I've never actually had an entire train lose power.

And yes, I always laugh when I go overseas and people talk about gangsters in Chicago like Al Capone or whoever. That was 70-80 years ago!!! It has problems with crime in certain neighborhoods which really hold a shadow over the entire city, but 75% of our murders happen in neighborhoods with only 25% of the city population. It's actually a very clean city and a nice place to live. The past 15 years has seen a massive rebuilding and cleaning up of places that you wouldn't have dreamed to go in the late 80's and early 90's.

If you look at the pictures or walk the city you notice how **** officials are about keeping everything clean. The city has countless employees who's only job is to walk the city and pick up and throw away any and all garbage. All grafitti is cleaned off by the city from any building immediatly, and even the alley's are quite spotless compared to what you find in many areas....

Last edited by Chicagoago; January 12th, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #68
Chicagoago

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #69
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
Surfact portions of the lines:

You can tell on a car when the power is lost, because the air blower (for either heat or air conditioning) will click off for 3-4 seconds and then start back up again. Once every month or two the lights (in my experience, I ride every day) will go out on the cars for a few seconds, but no one seems to notice. I've never actually had an entire train lose power.
That explains why trains can go through these level crossings with no third rail or overhead catenary.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #70
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6136

Fantastic! What a wonderful system. It must also be great for tourists to be able to see the city from the metro.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #71
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

thanks for the great pics. its a shame that the second largest CBD in the country is "only" served by the red and blue lines both 2 tracks each and a 2 track loop; 6 tracks in total does not seem to be nearly enough. also, how does the fare pricing work? its it a flat fare or is it done by distance travelled?
beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #72
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
thanks for the great pics. its a shame that the second largest CBD in the country is "only" served by the red and blue lines both 2 tracks each and a 2 track loop; 6 tracks in total does not seem to be nearly enough. also, how does the fare pricing work? its it a flat fare or is it done by distance travelled?
Well it worked out the best, and uses the least amount of tracks over the streets.

There are 5 lines that use the loop tracks, only one in each direction. All of the lines except one come into the loop, go in a circle, and go back where they came from. Only the Green Line enters the loop and leaves out the other end. This way they can have two lines going in each direction around the loop to try and even out the possible back-ups. The green line is the only random one that just goes straight through the loop. Unfortunately there's only ONE place in the Loop where the Blue Line subway connects straight with the loop elevated tracks. On the Red Line there are NO connections between the two, but at one place you can walk out of the subway and walk on the street and up to the elevated trains without paying a transfer. The two stops are on top of each other, there's just no fully enclosed connection. Otherwise it's a pretty quick walk from the elevated to the subways most places in the Loop.

It's actually pretty fast at rush hour, the trains just shoot by one after another after another. It's true though, only 3 tracks in each direction carry 10 different train line segments.
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #73
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
It use to be very easy, just $1.50 for any bus or train ride, a transfer for .25 and another transfer for free during a two hour period.

That was a few years ago, and then they had MULTIPLE changes, everything from bonuses given for using large bills in machines, discounts for people who use the smart card as opposed to a transit card from a machine, rush hour surcharges and different prices depending on if you're using rail or bus. It's been annoying. There are no distance surcharges anywhere.

Here's the current "upgraded" pricing scheme. It is new as of January 1st.

Cash fare for bus only - no transfers given $2.25

Transit Card (sold all over) bus : $2.00; transfer .25

Transit Card train: $2.25; transfer .25

Transit Smart Card (with a chip, paid online through bank account) - same as using a regular transit card. It use to give a nice discount to use the smart card, now they took it away.

They were going to do a rush hour surcharge, but decided against it. Still, to raise from $1.50 a few years ago to $2.25 has a lot of people angry. Then there are a whole ton of 1 day cards, 3 day cards, 7 day cards, 30 day cards, reduced fares for seniors and students, U-Pass giving college students free rides, a program where no person over the age of 65 pays for any transit in the city, and other discounts for military, etc. The reduced fares are .85 with .15 transfers.
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #74
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Chicago, like many cities in the US, would have world class transit if politicians(local, state, and federal) would give a damn about it.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #75
hoosier

Likes (Received): 57

I live near Chicago and it saddens me that such a great city has such a shitty rail system. It needs significant upgrading.

My Chicago transit wish list:

1) Circle Line- BUILD IT!!!!

2) Extend the Orange Line south from Midway and all the way to the Chicago Fire Stadium.

3) Construct a suburb-to-suburb METRA line

4) Connect METRA and CTA rail lines with one another

5) Connect Union Station (the main train station which is where all the Amtrak routes converge) to the CTA.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #76
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

cool - i never even knew chicago had a subway - i knew it had the el trains
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #77
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
cool - i never even knew chicago had a subway - i knew it had the el trains
Technically two of the "Chicago El" lines are subway lines in the centre (the blue and red as far as I can tell). The rest take the elevated loop around the city centre.

The lines are all part of the same system though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #78
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

wow... nice info about Chicago

i wonder how do people endure passing trains on elevated sections and especially on curves... i notice rail distance from windows is only few meters... that must be an awful sound every day...
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #79
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Thanks so much! It looks just wonderful to me. A great mix between vintage style and modernism. Looks like the perfect scenery for some sort of steampunk/cyberpunk/film noir crossover to me (in a good way!!)

Btw. I love how wood is used in so many places. I hate all those concrete metros all around the world. Wood and steel - the combination to go!
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #80
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Very nice! In London the network is mostly at grade, but it never crosses roads at grade.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport