daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #921
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...od-grants.html

FTA announces TOD grants
16 Sep 2015

USA: The Federal Transit Administration announced grants totalling $19·5m from its Transit-Oriented Development Planning Pilot Program on September 14. The funding will go towards detailed planning in 17 metropolitan areas.

‘Transit-oriented development is critical to the success of new projects and to the economy of the local communities they serve’, said FTA Acting Administrator Therese McMillan.

Six of the 21 projects concern BRT corridors. The remaining 15 cover a mixture of urban rail modes

A $1·25m grant is intended to help Chicago Transit Authority to develop a TOD plan to go with the Red and Purple line modernisation project

mrsmartman, zaphod liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #922
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

[IMG]CTA O'Hare Station by Luke Ord, on Flickr[/IMG]

The new escalator at the O'Hare Station is finally working! Finally!

(On a side note, I used this station a few days later, and the original escalator was shut down! Please fix it soon!)

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, cuartango liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #923
dixiadetie

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Railway Gazette:
Good news!TOD helps people to reduce the emission of green house gases , at the same time , create a environmentally way of living , using more public transit instead of driving .

dimlys1994 liked this post
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #924
JimmyHD

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Infrastructure still looking like that of third world country.
JimmyHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #925
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHD View Post
Infrastructure still looking like that of third world country.
So an informal pop-up garden is third-world? Okaaay....

lsg97, Nexis, jUaN cArLoS ! ! !, MK Tom liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #926
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Clark/Division station renovations

Clark/Division Entrance Reopens by cta web, on Flickr

More info here:
http://www.transitchicago.com/news/d...ArticleId=3463
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #927
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6095

Let's stainless steel eveything. Oh America, you amuse me.

cuartango liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #928
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Let's stainless steel eveything. Oh America, you amuse me.
And what's wrong with that? It's a very pretty station. Besides, it's not like they went overboard with stainless. Just used it for the trim, and ticket machines.

prageethSL, ryaboisse, zaphod liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 05:51 AM   #929
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

I wish they had reopened the main entrance of Clark/Division when I was there. Had to walk to the entrance on LaSalle Street.
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:33 PM   #930
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

FYI, on the Chicago L Facebook fan page, there is a photo of some of the new 5000-series cars on the Orange Line. Could the line finally be getting 5000-series cars? Since I think the Red Line is pretty much 100% 5000-series cars now, perhaps CTA waited to fully equip it before assigning the Orange Line 5000-series cars.

I know the initial plan was for all lines except the Blue and Brown Lines to get 5000-series cars. However, once the delivery of the 5000-series cars were nearing completion, the Orange Line seemed to be in doubt since CTA continued hoarding 5000-series cars on the Red Line while not retiring any 2600-series cars. After all, the 5000-series were initially ordered to replace all 2200- and 2400-series cars, and all non-Blue Line 2600-series cars.

Still, if the Orange Line does indeed get the 5000-series cars, it won't make up the line's entire fleet, since there will still be the 3200-series cars.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 11:05 PM   #931
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I just posted a video to youtube chronicling the construction of the Wilson Stop on the Red and Purple Lines to date. I have some video dating back to last year before major construction began, ending with just a week ago. There are some pretty cool timelapse shots of the busy rush hour red and purple line trains.

If you like it the video, leave a comment or hit the thumbs up button!

Luke
Old October 10th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #932
Generación93
Curioso arquitectónico.

Likes (Received): 279

Awesome pics!
Generación93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #933
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Are this stations emtpy anytime?
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #934
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfann View Post
Are this stations emtpy anytime?
The photo was probably taken on the weekend or offpeak , when the station is less busy.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #935
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...014-story.html

Quote:
CTA calls Yellow Line reopening 'very close'
Jon Hilkevitch
Chicago Tribune

OCTOBER 14, 2015
12:19 PM

CTA President Dorval Carter Jr. said Wednesday that the Yellow Line is still expected to reopen this month, although he declined to set a date.

The line was shut down in mid-May due to an embankment collapse in Skokie caused by construction at a wastewater treatment plant operated by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.

"I think we are going to be very close to an opening date," Carter told reporters after the monthly CTA board meeting.

. . .

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #936
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
FYI, on the Chicago L Facebook fan page, there is a photo of some of the new 5000-series cars on the Orange Line. Could the line finally be getting 5000-series cars? Since I think the Red Line is pretty much 100% 5000-series cars now, perhaps CTA waited to fully equip it before assigning the Orange Line 5000-series cars.

I know the initial plan was for all lines except the Blue and Brown Lines to get 5000-series cars. However, once the delivery of the 5000-series cars were nearing completion, the Orange Line seemed to be in doubt since CTA continued hoarding 5000-series cars on the Red Line while not retiring any 2600-series cars. After all, the 5000-series were initially ordered to replace all 2200- and 2400-series cars, and all non-Blue Line 2600-series cars.

Still, if the Orange Line does indeed get the 5000-series cars, it won't make up the line's entire fleet, since there will still be the 3200-series cars.
It looks as thought the 5000 series cars will NOT be used on the Brown, Orange or Blue lines.

Brown Line: The line runs 3200 series cars, and use to substitute in 2600 cars at times, although this is no longer required and it's fully 3200. These cars are the newest aside from the 5000 series, and are currently going through a $167,000,000 overhaul to put in electronic signage on the exteriors, replace all springs, air conditioning motors, train motors, doors, and a general rehab of all interior spaces and any other items that need modernizing. The trains have been kept in good shape, and this will bring them into the future and get a solid 6-7 years of further use with minimal maint. I keep noticing Brown Line cars with the color LED signage and was curious if they had suddenly started using 5000 series cars. Now I know, they're just upgraded 3200 cars.

Orange Line: Used a mix of 2400, 2600 and 3200 series cars. The last 2400 series car was pulled from service in October, 2014 and now the line is fully a mix of 2600 and 3200. The 3200 series cars on the line are getting the full rehab starting in 2015 that was mentioned above.

Blue Line: Originally used the 2200 series cars with the bi-folding doors, later it was a mix of 2200, 2400 and 2600 series cars. The last bi-folding 2200 series car was retired in late 2013 - they had begun production in 1969! I left work and went down to the final ride on the old cars. There was a special train that had original signage and advertisements within the train. They were unique because of the doors, you could always tell them apart. The Blue Line is fully 2600 now, as the 2400 series have also been retired as of 2014, as mentioned above.

The new 7000 series cars are to be delievered in about two years, and the thought is they will replace the Blue Line cars first, since the blue line gets 150,000+ riders a day and currently has the oldest cars in the fleet (at least the Orange Line has half 3200 series). After the Blue Line cars are delievered, the Orange Line 2600 cars will be replaced and then I assume the newly refurbished 3200 cars on the Brown and Orange lines will follow suit.

At that point all cars on the CTA will be less than 10 years old. Before this large purchase of cars many many cars were upwards of 40 years old, and hardly any were less than 20 years old.

Last edited by Chicagoago; October 15th, 2015 at 06:38 PM.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #937
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
It looks as thought the 5000 series cars will NOT be used on the Brown, Orange or Blue lines.

Brown Line: The line runs 3200 series cars, and use to substitute in 2600 cars at times, although this is no longer required and it's fully 3200. These cars are the newest aside from the 5000 series, and are currently going through a $167,000,000 overhaul to put in electronic signage on the exteriors, replace all springs, air conditioning motors, train motors, doors, and a general rehab of all interior spaces and any other items that need modernizing. The trains have been kept in good shape, and this will bring them into the future and get a solid 6-7 years of further use with minimal maint. I keep noticing Brown Line cars with the color LED signage and was curious if they had suddenly started using 5000 series cars. Now I know, they're just upgraded 3200 cars.

Orange Line: Used a mix of 2400, 2600 and 3200 series cars. The last 2400 series car was pulled from service in October, 2014 and now the line is fully a mix of 2600 and 3200. The 3200 series cars on the line are getting the full rehab starting in 2015 that was mentioned above.

Blue Line: Originally used the 2200 series cars with the bi-folding doors, later it was a mix of 2200, 2400 and 2600 series cars. The last bi-folding 2200 series car was retired in late 2013 - they had begun production in 1969! I left work and went down to the final ride on the old cars. There was a special train that had original signage and advertisements within the train. They were unique because of the doors, you could always tell them apart. The Blue Line is fully 2600 now, as the 2400 series have also been retired as of 2014, as mentioned above.

The new 7000 series cars are to be delievered in about two years, and the thought is they will replace the Blue Line cars first, since the blue line gets 150,000+ riders a day and currently has the oldest cars in the fleet (at least the Orange Line has half 3200 series). After the Blue Line cars are delievered, the Orange Line 2600 cars will be replaced and then I assume the newly refurbished 3200 cars on the Brown and Orange lines will follow suit.

At that point all cars on the CTA will be less than 10 years old. Before this large purchase of cars many many cars were upwards of 40 years old, and hardly any were less than 20 years old.
Note that CTA does have a contract to scrap up to 200 2600-series cars. While this doesn't mean 200 cars will actually be scrapped, there are currently about only 60 2600-series cars out of service (approximately 30 long term holds and 30 off property ready to be scrapped). I don't think it makes much sense that CTA would sign a contract to scrap up to 200 cars when less than half of that amount would actually be scrapped.

If all 200 of the 2600-series cars get scrapped, that lost capacity would have to come from somewhere. The Red, Green, Pink, and Purple Lines (Red especially) have excess numbers of 5000-series cars assigned, and those lines do not need as many cars as they are assigned currently. Those lines can easily send several of their 5000-series cars to the Orange Line without affecting service reliability.

After all, the original plan was for all lines except Blue or Brown to get 5000-series cars, but now it seems that CTA refuses to send 5000-series cars to the Orange Line. Perhaps CTA doesn't want to run incompatible equipment on the line, since it would be the only line that would require an incompatible fleet (the 3200s are not compatible with the 5000s), thus CTA may be waiting for the 7000-series, which the order will have enough cars to fully equip the Blue, Brown, and Orange Lines.
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #938
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that CTA does have a contract to scrap up to 200 2600-series cars. While this doesn't mean 200 cars will actually be scrapped, there are currently about only 60 2600-series cars out of service (approximately 30 long term holds and 30 off property ready to be scrapped). I don't think it makes much sense that CTA would sign a contract to scrap up to 200 cars when less than half of that amount would actually be scrapped. If all 200 of the 2600-series cars get scrapped, that lost capacity would have to come from somewhere. The Red, Green, Pink, and Purple Lines (Red especially) have excess numbers of 5000-series cars assigned, and those lines do not need as many cars as they are assigned currently. Those lines can easily send several of their 5000-series cars to the Orange Line without affecting service reliability. After all, the original plan was for all lines except Blue or Brown to get 5000-series cars, but now it seems that CTA refuses to send 5000-series cars to the Orange Line. Perhaps CTA doesn't want to run incompatible equipment on the line, since it would be the only line that would require an incompatible fleet (the 3200s are not compatible with the 5000s), thus CTA may be waiting for the 7000-series, which the order will have enough cars to fully equip the Blue, Brown, and Orange Lines.
When does the scrap contract start and end? 7000 series cars start to show up in 2017. Maybe it will coincide with that to a degree. Not sure!
Old October 16th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #939
Pink Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
When does the scrap contract start and end? 7000 series cars start to show up in 2017. Maybe it will coincide with that to a degree. Not sure!
Actually, the 7000-series have been delayed to 2019. The reason is that in the initial RFP that required them to be compatible with the 5000-series cars, the two bids from Bombardier and Sumitomo/Nippon Sharyo were too high, so CTA cancelled that RFP and decided to re-bid the contract without the compatibility requirement to get lower prices and allow more manufacturers to bid.
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #940
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Progressive Railroading
http://progressiverailroading.com/pa...-reopen--46172

Quote:
CTA's Yellow Line set to reopen
10/19/2015

After being closed since May, the Chicago Transit Authority's (CTA) Yellow Line is slated to resume service Oct. 30, agency officials announced late last week.

Track maintenance, inspection, and testing will continue until that time.

In May, CTA suspended Yellow Line service following an embankment collapse resulting from construction on Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD) property. The restoration of service comes after the design and reconstruction of the embankment by MWRD and its contractor, Walsh Construction, agency officials said.

The work included re-fencing the right-of-way area between the tracks and the district's property, rebuilding and stabilizing the soil embankment, reconstructing 1,200 feet of north and southbound Yellow Line tracks atop the embankment, and reconnecting signals and communication lines.

Before service begins, CTA engineers will re-energize the third rail; use a rail-smoothing car to eliminate rust accumulated along the full length of Yellow Line tracks; and test signal equipment.

On Oct. 30, CTA President Dorval Carter Jr. will join Skokie Mayor George Van Dusen and MWRD officials for a ceremonial first ride at the Oakton Station in Skokie, Ill. The officials will ride vintage 2400-series rail cars to mark the return of service along he line.

Additionally, CTA will put into service its two newest 5000-series rail cars, which are the last to be delivered from an order of 714 cars, agency officials aid.

The roughly 5-mile Yellow Line runs from the Dempster-Skokie Station in Skokie to the Howard Station in northern Chicago. During the service outage, CTA ran shuttle buses along this route.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport