daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #981
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Sure, the problem might be the frequency plus on many streets there is often just 1 line, which means you need to change buses more often. In the suburbs it looks really poor. I lived some time in there and there was a bus only every 30mins.
Yes but a majority of buses run on frequencies of less than 15 minutes, many at just a few minutes. Especially in the more dense areas where more people rely on the transit.

I've been here 14 years car free, I don't ever remember waiting a half hour for a bus. Maybe out on the edge of the city?

I've never done buses in the suburbs, they're a joke.

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #982
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Has there ever been any plans to have a ring line that would link some of the existing lines without having to travel into the loop?
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #983
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
Has there ever been any plans to have a ring line that would link some of the existing lines without having to travel into the loop?
There are some advocating for just that (http://transitfuture.org/).

There's also a kind of "Crossrail" concept... (http://www.midwesthsr.org/crossrail-chicago)

I don't know enough about the city to speak about the merits of these ideas, however.
Old January 5th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #984
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Third Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Chicago

Heavy Rail
Chicago / "L" - 795,600 (2015) : 3.29% +

Bus Ridership
Chicago / CTA Bus - 861,300 (2015) : -0.37%
Arlington Heights / PACE Bus - 105,500 (2015) : 4.64%+
Visit the New Jersey Section

JMBasquiat, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #985
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some recent L Photos taken by Jonathan Lee

Going Underground
by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr

Amitage Snow Day

Winter in Lincoln Park

Rosemont
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #986
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

New seats on Metra commuter rail

https://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/...-railcars.html

Quote:
Metra debuts new seats on some railcars

(Jan. 26, 2016) – Metra announced plans to launch into service the first of 30 railcars featuring a new style of seats with armrests, built-in cup holders and better head, neck and lumbar support. Railcar 7437 is the first to be equipped with the new seating and will be put in service this week on the Milwaukee District lines.

Metra plans to add the new seating to two cars per month between now and the end of the year on all Metra lines except the Metra Electric as part of a pilot program. Customers who use the news seats will be asked to provide feedback starting in February.

“These new seats offer amenities our customers have never had before – cup holders, armrests and higher backs,” said Metra Executive Director/CEO Don Orseno. “We will be asking our customers to give us feedback about the new seats, and we hope they like them and find them to be more comfortable than the current seating.”

The new blue-and-gray vinyl seats were purchased last fall after Metra feedback collected from customers indicated that more than half preferred the new seats to the old ones.

The new higher-backed seats are stationary, meaning that depending upon the direction of travel, half of the seats will be backward-facing positions.

Metra is not spending any extra funding on the new seats; they are being installed in cars whose seats need replacement anyway, and rather than replace them with the old bench style we are replacing them with the new style. The new seats cost Metra the same as the older seats, but there are more manufacturers of this style in the rail industry, which is expected to keep the prices competitive and possibly drive down future costs. The new seats are manufactured by Kustom Seating Unlimited of Bellwood.

The new seats are being used on 30 railcars going through Metra’s Amerail car rehabilitation program. The cars are being refurbished in-house, by Metra workers with years of experience, dedication and know-how. Metra has streamlined processes over the past several years to create an ultra-efficient operation that can strip and fully rebuild a car in just 32 days.

The entire Amerail fleet, built between 1995 and 1998, includes 97 railcars and 79 cab cars and is expected to be fully rehabilitated by the end of this year. This work will extend the life of the cars by 12 to 15 years; with future rehabs Metra expects to extend the cars’ life to 50 years of service or more. The work costs about $650,000 in materials and labor per car compared to $2.5 million to $3 million for a new railcar. This represents a savings of about 75 percent.

source: http://wgntv.com/2016/01/26/metra-to...rical-outlets/

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #987
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Chicago Sun-Times:

Quote:
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...-super-station

Emanuel pushing O'Hare high-speed rail — without Block 37 station
02/13/2016, 06:00AM

Officials released this image of what a high-speed rail hub at O'Hare International Airport might look like, City of Chicago illustration

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is forging ahead with plans to provide high-speed rail service between downtown and O’Hare International Airport, but steering clear of the Block 37 super-station his predecessor spent $200 million to build.

“There are a couple of alternative routes we believe have merit. I’m not at liberty to discuss them. But we have determined fairly clearly that Block 37 is not a feasible terminus,” Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans said Friday.

“It would completely disrupt the existing CTA service that uses that area. Even to get into that space, you have to use those rails lines on either side of it. Trains entering and exiting create conflict”

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:51 AM   #988
Thorum

Likes (Received): 1099

So what you're saying is that traffic jams are not part of the problems in Chicago? Google seems to disagree...

Or that, at the very least, they are very low down on the priority list? In the latter case, why are you on this forum?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Thorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:05 PM   #989
Thorum

^ Glad to see you've done your research on who I am

Let me rephrase my question: which problems should the mayor of Chicago tackle before tackling the mobility problems, and are incompatible with tackling those mobility problems?

Thorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #990
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

@Thorum Feel free to revise your query to your original question, and I will answer it to the best way I can as a transit planner.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #991
Thorum

My posts became irrelevant. Someone started yelling that there were a hundred million more important issues for the mayor of Chicago to tackle than improving the mobility, and I wondered which.

Those posts have since been deleted, apparantly, which makes my posts kinda out-of-place
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:49 PM   #992
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

FYI, the contract for the 7000-series cars should be announced soon. The two finalists are Bombardier Transportation and CSR America. The base order of these cars should be assigned to the Blue and Orange Lines to replace their 2600-series cars, while the options (if exercised) should replace the 3200-series cars on the Orange and Brown Lines.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:47 PM   #993
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

Hello!

I noticed that all the subway stations have blue platform edges, which seems weird. Is there a reason behind it?
BriedisUnIzlietne está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 01:13 AM   #994
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

The blue strip is tactile so people can feel the edge of the platform. It is very common in transit systems around the world. It is blue on all lines for commonality and because it is very visible.

mrsmartman, cuartango liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:21 AM   #995
Nexis
Dark Wolf

But most systems use a yellow tactile strip , its weird that Chicago uses blue.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:18 PM   #996
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
But most systems use a yellow tactile strip , its weird that Chicago uses blue.
Yes, I was asking about the choice of color. Most transit systems use yellow or white platform edges (not necessarily the tactile strip itself which in some cases seems to be just gray). Why blue for Chicago? Maybe they used blue purely because it is in the beautiful city flag and so they've wanted to use some city colors?
BriedisUnIzlietne está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #997
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
Yes, I was asking about the choice of color. Most transit systems use yellow or white platform edges (not necessarily the tactile strip itself which in some cases seems to be just gray). Why blue for Chicago? Maybe they used blue purely because it is in the beautiful city flag and so they've wanted to use some city colors?
I don't think there's a specific reason, they just chose a highly visible edge that's raised to also help seeing impaired people (since its raised and textured).

White would blend in with the tiled floor in places, yellow gets so dirty quick.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #998
Pink Jazz

According to a post on ChiTransit.org, the award of the 7000-series contract is expected to be announced this Wednesday.
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #999
Pink Jazz

Looks like CSR America has won the 7000-series contract:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...309-story.html

Now let's see if Bombardier files a protest.

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #1000
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

Now let's see if Bombardier files a protest.
I'm sure they'll bitch about it the same way they did when they lost the MBTA bid.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport