daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #1041
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I would be curious to know what a compressed natural gas (CNG) bus would cost in comparison?
This article from July 2, 2015 http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...0PC0AV20150702 lists the following
Quote:
Battery electric buses typically cost about $800,000, compared with $525,000 for a natural gas bus and less than $500,000 for a diesel bus. Fuel cell buses currently cost about $1.3 million.
Initial cost is 60-100% higher than for a CNG bus. However, burning Natural gas still release at least half as much carbon dioxide pollution as diesel, and the primary method of getting it is through fracking (hydraulic fracturing). Obviously battery buses have to be charged with electricity, but they can be charged with literally anything that generates electricity, so solar, wind, tidal power, waste-to-energy, hydrogen, hydroelectric dams, and even eventually Fusion power can be used to charge them.

That same artcile above also gives this information
Quote:
But electric bus advocates counter by citing the higher cost of natural gas. Fueling a natural gas bus costs about $27,000 annually, compared with $10,500 in electricity cost for an electric bus, according to CARB.

Electric buses, advocates note, also have lower maintenance expenses, which means the cost of maintaining an electric bus is roughly equivalent to that of one powered by natural gas when figured over the 12-year average lifespan of a bus.
Electric buses are more expensive due to the cost of the batteries compared with simple double-walled plastic tanks for diesel buses, or the gas cylinders for the CNG buses, but the added initial cost is covered by having far lower maintenance costs. There is also the added benefit of not driving massive flammable gas cylinders through a crowded city.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #1042
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Slightly off topic, but does anyone here think the Chicago has a chance to actually turn around soon and start growing again?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #1043
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
Slightly off topic, but does anyone here think the Chicago has a chance to actually turn around soon and start growing again?
Sure it will. Just a matter of time - too much going for it. Take a look at this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/up...urbs.html?_r=0

http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/...From-Downtown/

dimlys1994 liked this post
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1044
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

I was thinking about this, and has anyone noticed how lucky CTA has been with the rail line colors not being offensive or stereotypical to the demographics of the areas served by them? The Pink Line doesn't serve Chicago's gay neighborhoods, the Red Line doesn't serve an Indian Reservation nor a majority Native American area, and the Brown Line mostly serves white neighborhoods. The only one that comes close is the Yellow Line serving Skokie, which has a significant, though not majority Asian population.

I don't think CTA is intentionally trying to be politically correct, however, it seems like an interesting coincidence.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #1045
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1500

What do you smoke, oh you lucky guy ?

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

Tower Dude liked this post
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #1046
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was thinking about this, and has anyone noticed how lucky CTA has been with the rail line colors not being offensive or stereotypical to the demographics of the areas served by them? The Pink Line doesn't serve Chicago's gay neighborhoods, the Red Line doesn't serve an Indian Reservation nor a majority Native American area, and the Brown Line mostly serves white neighborhoods. The only one that comes close is the Yellow Line serving Skokie, which has a significant, though not majority Asian population.
I don't think CTA is intentionally trying to be politically correct, however, it seems like an interesting coincidence.
Just wait until the Authority has to introduce the Tan Line.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #1047
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5745

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post
What do you smoke, oh you lucky guy ?
Unfortunately, we've seen these same types of posts from this particular user time and again. This user has also expended a great amount of energy formulating a politically correct color-coded Phoenix tram system.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #1048
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Unfortunately, we've seen these same types of posts from this particular user time and again. This user has also expended a great amount of energy formulating a politically correct color-coded Phoenix tram system.
Well, I am pretty sure the political correctness of the Chicago L's colors is completely unintentional. CTA simply got lucky when it assigned its colors to its lines.

As for my Phoenix system, the only colored lines I intended to be politically correct are the Brown, Pink, and Gold. The Brown Line would primarily serve Scottsdale which is an upscale area with a lower Hispanic population. The Pink Line would primarily serve Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa, most of which is politically conservative and thus likely has a lower than average gay population. Gold is a substitute for Yellow since it would serve Mekong Plaza (an Asian mini-mall in Mesa).

The other lines are colored for different reasons. The Red Line in my Phoenix system isn't named as such because it doesn't serve an Indian Reservation; it is named because it is the original line (Red and Blue are usually the first two colors assigned to rail systems), and my Blue Line is based on the Capital Extension proposal. The Tempe Streetcar is named the Green Line in my system because I associate the City of Tempe with the color green due to their trees and environmental policies. The rest (Orange, Purple, Silver, and Turquoise) are completely random.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; October 26th, 2016 at 05:49 AM.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #1049
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Chicago sets out five-year investment plan
Wednesday, October 26, 2016

CHICAGO Transit Authority (CTA) plans to invest $US 3.5bn during 2017-2021 and proposes a balanced $US 1.52bn operating budget that will maintain current rail and bus service levels

The capital investment programme will build on the $US 5bn already invested since 2011 and work on several projects will continue into 2017 and beyond including completion of Washington-Wabash station next year and the Wilson station reconstruction project at the end of 2017, the complete reconstruction of the 95th Street terminal on the Red Line, and Phase 1 of the $US 2.1bn Red and Purple lines modernisation project, which includes rebuilding four Red Line stations and constructing a rail bypass.

The following capital projects are expected to start in 2017:
  • selection of a final alignment for a proposed Red Line Extension from 95th Street to 130th Street
  • upgrading of the Blue Line O’Hare Airport branch
  • Ravenswood corridor signalling improvements to benefit the Brown and Purple Line Express services between Armitage and the Merchandise Mart
  • upgrading and accessibility improvements to Quincy Loop ‘L’ and Illinois Medical District Blue Line stations
  • the Belmont Blue and Garfield Green Gateway projects, and
  • complete overhaul of the 3200-series fleet

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #1050
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

2016.10.28 saw the busiest rail-ridership day in CTA history - 918,723 riders.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...104-story.html
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #1051
jay stew

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
2016.10.28 saw the busiest rail-ridership day in CTA history - 918,723 riders.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...104-story.html
I wonder if November 4th topped that...
jay stew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #1052
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay stew View Post
I wonder if November 4th topped that...
Yes. For the first time ever, CTA's daily rail ridership exceeded one million:

Quote:
CTA’s Highest Rail Ridership Days:
  • Nov. 4, 2016 - 1,146,349 - Cubs parade and rally
  • Oct. 28, 2016 - 918,723 - 2016 Cubs World Series Game 3
  • June 18, 2015 - 914,768 - 2015 Blackhawks parade
  • June 28, 2013 - 894,811 - 2013 Blackhawks parade
  • Oct. 21, 2015 - 882,188 - 2015 Cubs NLCS Game 4

CTA’s Highest Total Ridership Days:
  • July 3, 2008 - 2,049,519 - Fourth of July celebration
  • Nov. 5, 2016 - 1,945,250 - Cubs parade and rally
  • Nov. 4, 2008 - 1,938,738 - President Obama’s acceptance speech
Source: http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_...es-celebration
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #1053
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Beginning 2017.01.10, Megabus will downsize its operations in Chicago and will no longer provide bus service to Omaha, NE and East Lansing, MI. It seems bus service to Iowa will also be eliminated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...110-story.html

http://www.omaha.com/money/megabus-t...9dfd30934.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:47 AM   #1054
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
I finally completed a map of Chicago. Not easy to fit the enlarged downtown loop into the city grid.
{images snipped to save (my) bandwidth}
One transfer point which you need to add, because I have made this precise movement scores of times, is between the Clinton Green | Pink Line "L" station and the Ogilvie Transportation Center @ 500 W. Madison St. (Union Pacific - nee Chicago & North Western - trains to Kenosha, WI.; Elburn, Harvard, and McHenry, IL).
Old December 1st, 2016, 10:43 AM   #1055
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Compendium

OK - So now that I'm back at the domicile, and not facing the eventuality of a laptop battery dying {which was the instance for my previous reply in this thread}, I can refer in more data.
But this also means I am back on a V.92 connection, so my image referrals need to be conscious of that.
Anyhow: Here are some of my images of this year's CTA Holiday Train. I caught it on the Green Line, which runs from Harlem Ave. in Oak Park to Ashland & 63rd St. in Englewood, Chicago. It will get to all the other lines on the Authority's Rapid Transit Division.

Oh, that reminds me. I do have another World-Wide Web page in which I annotate all the Chicago transit projects which will receive Federal funding in 2017-21.

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, cuartango liked this post
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #1056
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

The CTA Wilson Station has been undergoing a complete transformation for a couple years now. I just posted a followup video to my original video chronicling the changes.

Old January 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #1057
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Chicago Locks Down $1.1 Billion For CTA Just Before Obama Leaves Office"

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-leaves-office
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #1058
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

North & Clybourn by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr

New Year's Day 2017 at Bridgeport Junction by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr

MN&S / CTA by Jonathan Lee, on Flickr
Old February 9th, 2017, 11:51 PM   #1059
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I just uploaded a new video of the CTA Red and Green Lines. This is a very cool area of Chicago when the Green Line crosses the Dan Ryan Expressway.
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #1060
Arizoner

Likes (Received): 2

Chicago is an awesome city with awesome transit
Arizoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, illinois, public transport