daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

RHODE ISLAND | Public Transport

I saw there was no thread for RI , so i decided to create one. Rhode Island is the smallest state in the US , it has a tiny yet growing Rail network. Providence and Pawtucket are planning streetcar networks. Woonsocket will have Regional Rail service restored to Providence and Worcester by the end of the decade. Bus service is being enhanced all over the state. Regional Rail service is being extended down the NEC to Westerly,RI and the NEC is being 4 tracked. Theres also talk of a I-195 Light Rail corridor connecting Providence and Fall River. All of this would be finished by 2025. The Fall River line would also be restored down to Newport meaning that every city in RI will have Rail service.

Daily Ridership for RIPTA : 71,000

Final Route for the first phase of the Providence Streetcar

http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...al-14Feb11.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RI...Floor_0517.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/humaned...n/photostream/

Providence Station

Lines : Providence / Stoughton
Future : 1 Streetcar lines , Providence / South state line , Quonset / Woonsocket line

image hosted on flickr

Woonsocket Station / Future : Woonsocket line (opens 2018)

image hosted on flickr

Woonsocket Train Station by robtm2010, on Flickr

Kingston Station : Serves : Amtrak Regional / Future South State line (opens 2016)

image hosted on flickr

KINGSTON - TRAIN STATION - 04 by JERRY DOUGHERTY'S CONNECTICUT, on Flickr

Pawtucket Station , some say it might be restored....MBTA and Amtrak want to build a station somewhere else. Future : 1 Streetcar / BRT line , Providence / South state line , Quonset / Woonsocket line

image hosted on flickr

Pawtucket-Central Falls Train Station by Jef Nickerson, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; August 22nd, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Nice map. Is this an official plan or just speculation? Providence is a nice (though very small) city that could benefit with the return of interurban rail.

Would the proposed streetcar use the old streetcar tunnel that goes under College Hill? I heard there was another abandoned railway tunnel (the East Side Railroad Tunnel) in Providence that could be used as part of a urban rail network.

It's a pity the old Union Station is now converted to an urban mall, and the city now has to make do with the concrete brick shown above.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Any photos of the new Providence Airport station?
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM   #4
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Just a friendly reminder, when starting threads, please make sure the city/region name is fully capitalized. Would also help moderators if you can make a note of the new thread in the Thread Finder for indexing.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Nice map. Is this an official plan or just speculation? Providence is a nice (though very small) city that could benefit with the return of interurban rail.

Would the proposed streetcar use the old streetcar tunnel that goes under College Hill? I heard there was another abandoned railway tunnel (the East Side Railroad Tunnel) in Providence that could be used as part of a urban rail network.

It's a pity the old Union Station is now converted to an urban mall, and the city now has to make do with the concrete brick shown above.
Very close to the plan , theres also a call for light rail down to Bristol. Yes they are using the old streetcar tunnel and the ESR Tunnel , there using every bit of old Railway Row. The City wants 2 starter lines , and then to slowly build out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Any photos of the new Providence Airport station?
Can't find any good pictures.
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #6
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Very close to the plan , theres also a call for light rail down to Bristol. Yes they are using the old streetcar tunnel and the ESR Tunnel , there using every bit of old Railway Row. The City wants 2 starter lines , and then to slowly build out.

Can't find any good pictures.
One here...

http://www.subways.net/usa/ri.html
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
has that Web site been updated in the last 11 years?

Here is a photo of the airport rail station from the flickr account of Rep. Jim Langevin (RI-02). Langevin is proud of this station, but the very limited schedule means it's useless for most people flying from PVD, and there is no service on the weekends which is when a lot of folks fly. MBTA service to South Station begins on December 6, 2010.

image hosted on flickr
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Cotuit
Cape Codder

Likes (Received): 0

The facts in this thread are stunningly inaccurate.

The map at the top of the thread was lifted from this post at Greater City: Providence. It is a suggestion for how the Core Connector Study could be implemented, it is not the official proposal.

And when you post photos from Flickr, it is common courtesy (and Flickr's policy) that you provide a link back to the photo itself, not just the Flickr homepage.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Quente
Al-l-,

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Here is a photo of the airport rail station from the flickr account of Rep. Jim Langevin (RI-02).

image hosted on flickr
Just to clarify, that's a photo of TF Green Airport with the recently opened Skywalk on the right that takes people to the new InterLink, a transportation hub that contains the rail station, rental cars and city buses.

Sorry but I couldn't find any photos of the station (or the completed InterLink).
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Quente
Al-l-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotuit View Post

The map at the top of the thread was lifted from this post at Greater City: Providence. It is a suggestion for how the Core Connector Study could be implemented, it is not the official proposal.

And when you post photos from Flickr, it is common courtesy (and Flickr's policy) that you provide a link back to the photo itself, not just the Flickr homepage.
Hahaha--I actually went over to GCPVD to look for images of the new TF Green station after seeing the image posted above. Small world--I hadn't seen you on this forum before. Take care Cotuit.
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotuit View Post

I get my info form a friend who works for Amtrak and so he tells me the state expansion plans. He also lives in RI and is RR buff , he is never wrong. Did you see the PVD plans or Dot plans , they were pretty close to that for the streetcars....
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

I said what flickr account the photo was from. Right click on the photo and you can get the link. Some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I said what flickr account the photo was from. Right click on the photo and you can get the link. Some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.
I'll correct that , but ya some ppl do...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some proposals for the replacement of the Providence station...

Proposed Light Rail line

http://www.jswinslow.com/pvdstation.html

Last edited by Nexis; August 21st, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Nexis
Dark Wolf

TF Green Airport...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:49 AM   #16
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Why does that light rail line end in Fall River? Can't they continue it to New Bedford, a city of 90,000 people just a few miles to the east?
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #17
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

How is construction going on the second commuter rail station south of the airport?
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #18
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Some proposals for the replacement of the Providence station...
Is this replacement train station and light rail line an official city proposal? If so, it's pretty ambitious for Providence. Also, from the map there it looks like the ROW for the south segment of that light rail line would be where the East Bay Bicycle Path currently runs. Not sure how that would work.

It's good that it incorporates the old Providence rail tunnel, though.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Is this replacement train station and light rail line an official city proposal? If so, it's pretty ambitious for Providence. Also, from the map there it looks like the ROW for the south segment of that light rail line would be where the East Bay Bicycle Path currently runs. Not sure how that would work.

It's good that it incorporates the old Providence rail tunnel, though.
There not official , however both proposals are similar to others ive seen. Alot of politicians and planners have submitted something similar on the LRT side. I think he told me last year he submitted his plan to the City Govt in PVD about the Station..... In the past 4 years alot of New Buildings , Streetcapes and interesting things have gotten built in PVD , so i wouldn't put it past them to study and build a station like this...
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #20
Quente
Al-l-,

Providence Journal: Providence maps out a plan for streetcars

http://www.projo.com/news/content/ST...v15.6c71c.html

Still talking about this proposal: $126 million to build a two-mile starter system with 4 or 5 streetcars (+ spares) running from College Hill, through downtown, the Jewelry District and ending at the Hospital District.

Would be a nice amenity for the city.