daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #261
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Even though they weren't built pre-WWII doesn't mean they aren't art deco. If I showed someone who knows nothing about skyscrapers these against genuine New York art deco, they wouldn't know the difference. I was just showing some large buildings of the style that are being built still. Neo is just the prefix you add to the beginning of the style it is replicating at a later time.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #262
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Even though they weren't built pre-WWII doesn't mean they aren't art deco. If I showed someone who knows nothing about skyscrapers these against genuine New York art deco, they wouldn't know the difference. I was just showing some large buildings of the style that are being built still. Neo is just the prefix you add to the beginning of the style it is replicating at a later time.
Actually I believe each building you referenced is considered postmodern, not art deco. There is a difference. I'm sure most people wouldn't recognize the difference, but probably most people on a site like this would.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #263
Brizer

Likes (Received): 4199

Sorry, L.A.F.2. but those buildings are definitely Post Modern even though their style is a revival of Art Deco features, which is typical of Post Modernism, a revivalist style which pinched bits and pieces of past styles and stitched them into a new version, a practice that was sometimes successful, but more often than not was pretty awful if not downright vulgar visually and aesthetically (or esthetically in US).
The dates, 1990, etc., give it away if nothing else.

The last genuine Art Deco building in the world to be built is the former Maritime Services Board Building, now the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) in Sydney (Australia). It was designed in the late 1930s but due to WW2 its construction was delayed so it wasn't completed until some years later.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #264
Paper Ninja

Likes (Received): 100

John McCormack Courthouse, Boston MA

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/masnyc/5060631551/

http://decoarchitecture.tumblr.com/p...and-courthouse
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aniko_attila/5632794629/
Paper Ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #265
Brizer

Paper Ninja: that is a Good One! Suggest you give basic details with pics such as architect and date if known, for odd bods like me who like to know and who can put them on the To Do list. I missed this one when I was in Boston some years ago, how I do not know!
Just realised that Art Deco also borrowed features and motifs from earlier styles such as Gothic, Egyptian, Roman, etc, but integrated them more successfully on the whole into a new style, so it too, is eclectic as is Post Modern and most C.19th architecture.

That isn't to say that some Post Modern buildings are not extremely successful as architecture: PPG in Pittsburg, AT&T/Sony in NY, General Foods HQ, Rye, NY, for example.
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #266
johnybarkerr

Likes (Received): 0

According to me, i only posted a few, the first was my personal top 5, the second was a selection from countries that arent the USA, but that building is great and i agree Detroit has some great art deco buildings i'd go with New York as the capital IMO
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #267
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9772

Seems like some think every old skyscraper is in Art Deco style.

These buildings (from the previous page) aren't Art Deco. They are neo-geothic.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

mapece liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #268
Brizer

Sorry, but they are Art Deco. As I pointed out just a post or two back, Art Deco was eclectic but managed, largely, to integrate various past styles into a new style.

It's not odd at all that every old skyscraper is Art Deco because the skyscraper was not developed until the late C.19th. - see Chicago School - and most of the first crop of skyscrapers wasn't built until the early C.20th. especially in the boom years of the 1920s when the Art Deco style was dominant in Europe, US & other Western countries with a few examples in Asia and Africa. The 1929 Wall Street Crash didn't suddenly stop construction and some continued to be built into the early 1930s, e.g., Chrysler & Empire State, as they were already committed to construction.
Helps if you know your architectural history.
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #269
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizer View Post
Sorry, but they are Art Deco. As I pointed out just a post or two back, Art Deco was eclectic but managed, largely, to integrate various past styles into a new style.
They same did every other style that integrated past style elements into modern buildings. Just like neo-gothic. Or are you saying that every building that borrowed style elements from the past is Art Deco?

Quote:
It's not odd at all that every old skyscraper is Art Deco because the skyscraper was not developed until the late C.19th. - see Chicago School - and most of the first crop of skyscrapers wasn't built until the early C.20th. especially in the boom years of the 1920s when the Art Deco style was dominant in Europe, US & other Western countries with a few examples in Asia and Africa. The 1929 Wall Street Crash didn't suddenly stop construction and some continued to be built into the early 1930s, e.g., Chrysler & Empire State, as they were already committed to construction.
Helps if you know your architectural history.
But the thing is: Not every old skyscraper is in Art Deco. The Chicago school buildings are example of old skyscraper that aren't built in Art Deco. Just like the three I posted aren't built in Art Deco either.

Perhaps you should read through what Art Deco actually is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Deco
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #270
Brizer

1. No. Read the text. That is quite a leap of reasoning from what I wrote to how you interpreted it.

2. Read some architectural history before forming opinion and put your ego aside when someone gives you some information that doesn't agree with what you think. Learn from it.

Galro, I am a history of art and architecture professional so maybe it's just possible that I have a fair idea of what I'm writing about & my intention is to give you better information as your assumptions are not correct. As useful as Wikipedia can be, it is not always the best source of information and I'm afraid my reading & learning is quite a lot more extensive and intensive than Wikipedia provides.
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #271
Galro

Quote:
1. No. Read the text. That is quite a leap of reasoning from what I wrote to how you interpreted it.

2. Read some architectural history before forming opinion and put your ego aside when someone gives you some information that doesn't agree with what you think. Learn from it.

Galro, I am a history of art and architecture professional so maybe it's just possible that I have a fair idea of what I'm writing about & my intention is to give you better information as your assumptions are not correct. As useful as Wikipedia can be, it is not always the best source of information and I'm afraid my reading & learning is quite a lot more extensive and intensive than Wikipedia provides.
Then please say why those neo-gothic buildings are Art Deco rather than just say "They are Art Deco and you're wrong". Could you please provide link to your extensive readings?

Perhaps you should write into these sites too given that they call the Tribune building (one of the three buildings above) neo-gothic:
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/hood/hood.html
http://www.jitterbuzz.com/trib_tower.html
http://eng.archinform.net/projekte/4532.htm

And just btw: Art Deco wasn't dominant in the 1920s in Europe.

Last edited by Galro; July 27th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #272
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

10 Light Street, Baltimore, MD

1929; 507ft.

image hosted on flickr

Bank of America Building - Baltimore MD 7627 by avi8tor4fn, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Baltimore Trust Building (aka Bank of America Bldg) - 10 Light Street, Baltimore, Maryland by Anomalous_A, on Flickr
House3780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #273
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 593

Marine drive Mumbai,2nd longest stretch of art deco buildings in the world after Miami.

an old pic

Last edited by Abinash89; July 27th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #274
Brizer

Galro: you are just going to have to do some reading but start by reading what I actually wrote above considering terms such as 'eclectic'.

Quote: "Art Deco was eclectic but managed, largely, to integrate various past styles into a new style."

I also mentioned that Gothic was one of these past styles integrated into the Art Deco palette. The Tribune belongs to the Art Deco style but features Gothic details: look at the date.

You can find your own links and look up some books as well. I'm not going to provide links to the many & various books, sites, essays, treatises, etc., on architecture that I studied/read/written about at uni and since during my professional career.

You should do some work to clarify and gain a better understanding instead of expecting me to do it for you. The onus is on you as it is for your benefit.

I've given you quite enough points as starters that you could follow through to increase your knowledge, but, judging from your responses, I suggest you improve your reading skills so you take in the full import of what is written.

Again: Art Deco was the dominant style in Europe in the 1920s, though the first examples of Early Modernism were appearing & are given great emphasis in many texts especially those that barely mention, dismiss or do not mention Art Deco, but it was not Early Modernism that dominated architectural design during that time.

Modernism didn't become dominant until after WWII, ie, after 1945 when it spread to the US taken there by Europeans fleeing or choosing to leave the threat of a Nazi dominated Europe, and it quickly became international, and that post war period is sometimes referred to as International Modernism.

Happy reading.
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #275
Galro

Quote:
Galro: you are just going to have to do some reading but start by reading what I actually wrote above considering terms such as 'eclectic'.

Quote: "Art Deco was eclectic but managed, largely, to integrate various past styles into a new style."

I also mentioned that Gothic was one of these past styles integrated into the Art Deco palette. The Tribune belongs to the Art Deco style but features Gothic details: look at the date.

You can find your own links and look up some books as well. I'm not going to provide links to the many & various books, sites, essays, treatises, etc., on architecture that I studied/read/written about at uni and since during my professional career.

You should do some work to clarify and gain a better understanding instead of expecting me to do it for you. The onus is on you as it is for your benefit.

I've given you quite enough points as starters that you could follow through to increase your knowledge, but, judging from your responses, I suggest you improve your reading skills so you take in the full import of what is written.
So cut the story short: You are saying that I'm wrong, you're right and do not bother do back up your opinion despite I providing sources for my claim.
And you will not provide an answer to what you have extensively read yourself upon?
How very professional.

So basically you are saying that your opinion is by default right and the links I provided are wrong? And yet you to have the cheek to say that "I should lay to side my ego".

Quote:
Again: Art Deco was the dominant style in Europe in the 1920s, though the first examples of Early Modernism were appearing & are given great emphasis in many texts especially those that barely mention, dismiss or do not mention Art Deco, but it was not Early Modernism that dominated architectural design during that time.

Modernism didn't become dominant until after WWII, ie, after 1945 when it spread to the US taken there by Europeans fleeing or choosing to leave the threat of a Nazi dominated Europe, and it quickly became international, and that post war period is sometimes referred to as International Modernism.

Happy reading.
Not it wasn't. Early modernism (and some local variants of it) was dominant in Norther Europe. In Scandinavia for example there is hardly a singly Art Deco building while there are hundreds after hundreds of early modernism buildings (called functionalism here). The only European city with somewhat large amounts of Art Deco structures that I'm aware of is London, but it was elsewhere a minor style that didn't have any large impact on the continent.
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #276
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
So cut the story short: You are saying that I'm wrong, you're right and do not bother do back up your opinion despite I providing sources for my claim.
And you will not provide an answer to what you have extensively read yourself upon?
How very professional.

So basically you are saying that your opinion is by default right and the links I provided are wrong? And yet you to have the cheek to say that "I should lay to side my ego".

Not it wasn't. Early modernism (and some local variants of it) was dominant in Norther Europe. In Scandinavia for example there is hardly a singly Art Deco building while there are hundreds after hundreds of early modernism buildings (called functionalism here). The only European city with somewhat large amounts of Art Deco structures that I'm aware of is London, but it was elsewhere a minor style that didn't have any large impact on the continent.
Wow dude, let it go. He's right.

Atlanta City Hall (referenced in your post #267) is definitely art deco with some neo-gothic/art moderne features...and fits nicely into Brizer's explanation that art deco is an eclectic style made up of past styles. http://www.emporis.com/building/atla...atlanta-ga-usa
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #277
Brizer

Galro: have a good life, mate.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #278
Paper Ninja

Quote:
Paper Ninja: that is a Good One! Suggest you give basic details with pics such as architect and date if known,
That info is in the link to the 2nd pic I posted.
http://decoarchitecture.tumblr.com/p...and-courthouse

Quote:
About the Building

Built in 1932-1934, the building (formerly the McCormack U.S. Post Office and Courthouse) is at Post Office Square and is mostly glad in granite. It was entered in the National Register in 1987. See more photos and info on the Boston Art Deco Society’s web site. View it via Google Street View.

From LoC:

Built in 1931-1933. Architect: Cram & Ferguson. Building consists of three towers rising above a five story base. It is 16 stories tall. The exterior is an excellent example of Art Deco institutional design.
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #279
Paper Ninja

Irving Trust Company (1931), 1 Wall Street, New York, New York

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/L...KOFNEWYORK.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Wall_Street

http://www.dreich.info/facade/street/wall%20street/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sminor/4679218490/

mapece liked this post