daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2281
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Harbin-Qiqihar PDL
construction pics

source: China Railway 13th Bureau

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2282
fragel

Hefei-Fuzhou PDL

route:

source: jxcn.com

wiki rough route (red line)

construction pics
source: China Railway 13th Bureau

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2283
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

this method of constructing viaducts is simply amazing
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #2284
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
the report is not very informative to railway fans, I am simply amused by this 'professor' Zhao Jian.
He might not think it will make that mark because the line is only starting operation in June? That's missing more than 5/12 of the year.
Wuhan-Guangzhou started operating in December 2009, so they had the entire year of 2010 to measure in stead of just 7/12.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2285
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
the report is not very informative to railway fans, I am simply amused by this 'professor' Zhao Jian.
the most pathetic part is when he tries to compare Amtrak with a real HRT:

Quote:
By comparison, Amtrak’s Acela Express high-speed service carried 3.2 million commuters along the Washington-New York- Boston corridor last fiscal year.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2286
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
He might not think it will make that mark because the line is only starting operation in June? That's missing more than 5/12 of the year.
Wuhan-Guangzhou started operating in December 2009, so they had the entire year of 2010 to measure in stead of just 7/12.
I don't think calendar year is used here. It's always referred to the first 365 days of operation, regardless when the service starts.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2287
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Why do they make so many viaducts in what appears to be plain area? Is it cheaper then just doing earth-plaining? Or are they afraid of flooding? It seams so curious to me, I wonder why this kind of build style is not seen in Europe for example.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2288
fragel

a couple of reasons:

1. the most important non-technical reason is to save arable land. In urban areas it also significantly reduces the land acquisition cost.
2. many railways are built on soft soil, so building viaducts with piles deep into the bedrock helps control settlement problems.
3. viaducts make the planning easier; it would be hard to meet the minimum turning radius in some area without them.
4. safety and environmental concern. there is no better way than using viaducts to grade separate the high speed railways from the road traffic, animal migration etc.
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2289
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Thanks for the updates..
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2290
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberg
Beijing-Shanghai Bullet Train Targets Flyers Sick of Delays
Quote:
There will be about 90 services a day when the line opens, Rail Minister Sheng Guangzu said in an April 13 interview with state-run People’s Daily .
How many services a day were on Guanzhou-Wuhan railway when the line opened, and how many are there now?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #2291
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
a couple of reasons:

1. the most important non-technical reason is to save arable land. In urban areas it also significantly reduces the land acquisition cost.
2. many railways are built on soft soil, so building viaducts with piles deep into the bedrock helps control settlement problems.
3. viaducts make the planning easier; it would be hard to meet the minimum turning radius in some area without them.
4. safety and environmental concern. there is no better way than using viaducts to grade separate the high speed railways from the road traffic, animal migration etc.
I notice that in East Asia, that tends to be the way HSR is built. Look at South Korea and Japan too. Whereas in Europe, you will more than often see the rails on the ground. I guess this also has something to do with noise restrictions and that residents are much more vehement against obstructions of the view.
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2292
TsLeng

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
Why do they make so many viaducts in what appears to be plain area? Is it cheaper then just doing earth-plaining? Or are they afraid of flooding? It seams so curious to me, I wonder why this kind of build style is not seen in Europe for example.
Since the tracks has to be as level and straight as possible, my opinion is that they have grade separated tracks on viaducts because it can be easily build straight and level.

And, as they can be pre-cast in sections, it may well be cheaper than making embankments or cuttings that takes up more foot print.
TsLeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #2293
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
So that people and animals can walk under the viaducts. It is clear that viaducts have numerous advantages.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2294
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
What is the speed of the trains on the old railways?
Most K trains (120km/h) are cancelled after Wuguang HSR.
Most of the daily schedule are filled with T trains (140km/h).
A few Z trains as well (160km/h) that continues to Shenzhen.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2295
fragel

Lanxin HSR update

wiki introduction
Quote:
The Lanzhou–Urumqi High-Speed Railway, also known as Lanxin Second Railway, is a high-speed rail under construction in northwestern China. It will connect Lanzhou in Gansu Province and Ürümqi in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.

Construction work began on November 4, 2009. The 1,776-kilometre (1,104 mi) railway will take four years to complete, of which, 795 kilometres (494 mi) is in Gansu, 268 kilometres (167 mi) in Qinghai and 713 kilometres (443 mi) in Xinjiang. 31 stations will be built along the line. The project costs 143.5 billion yuan.
rough route on wiki(light blue line):

source

source

source

source

wind-protection gallery experimental section

Quote:
Near Shanshan, the railway will go through the hundred-li wind zone, where desert wind constantly blows most days of a year. In 2007, strong wind overturned a train on the southern branch of Lanxin Railway, and four people were killed. A 67-kilometre long wind-protection gallery will be built in this region

source

tigerleapgorge liked this post
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2296
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Wuguang HSR will have two types of trains, one limited to 250km/h and one limited to 300km/h, they will have different ticket prices as well.

What a f**king mess, they might as well run some trains at 60km/h and charge people 1/5 of the price.
The original business case for most of these lines was additional CAPACITY to alleviate chronic overcrowding on almost every trunk mainline in China. The speed increase is a bonus.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2297
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Lanxin HSR update

source
Wow. Correct me if I am wrong, but these wind protection barriers are only going to be for a short section of the desert within the "100 li wind" zone right? I take it that the barriers are going to be alternating as well, instead of making one whole long tunnel?

Whatever the distance, this will certainly be a first and a feat for China
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2298
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
Wow. Correct me if I am wrong, but these wind protection barriers are only going to be for a short section of the desert within the "100 li wind" zone right? I take it that the barriers are going to be alternating as well, instead of making one whole long tunnel?

Whatever the distance, this will certainly be a first and a feat for China
You are right the wind barrier is only utilized at select sections of the track, and Lanxin is the first railway to implement such method in China.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #2299
fragel

There will be 67 km of such barrier.

The experimental section is 276 meters long. They'll test the wind protection effect and improve the construction method before they build the whole 67 km barrier.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #2300
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I like the way of the chinese in building they own high speed rail, and the train design are very exotic because its different from the design of natural high speed train like in Japan and europe, they made own concept how to make the train looks better and faster.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail