daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #2301
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Other than CRH380A, all the CRH trains use the exact designs from Europe and Japan. CRH380C isn't really something new either.

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2302
fragel

The 2011 National Higher Education Entrance Examination is ongoing.

Interestingly, in one comprehensive liberal arts test, there are three multiple choice questions regarding Chinese high speed railways.

Quote:
6.为了保持列车高速运行,高速铁路选线时首要考虑的自然元素是
A地形 B地质
C气候 D水文

7.在平原地区,建筑高速铁路时多采用高架的方式。主要是为了
A 减少噪音扰民 B较少占用耕地
C 缩短运营里程 D保护野生动物

8.我国高速铁路网建成后, 下列区段中,民航客运业受冲击最大的是
A武汉----广州 B杭州----上海
C成都----上海 D兰州----北京
question 6 asks what is the first natural factor to consider when selecting route for a high speed railway: a. topography; b. geology; c.climate ; d.hydrology

question 7 asks what is the primary reason that high speed railways are often built on viaducts in plain areas: a. noise reduction; b. less occupation of arable land; c. shortened route; d. protection of wildlife
(Holy sh!t, this question was asked in this thread one day before the exam! Was the test content leaked? sekelsenmat, seriously, are you taking the exam?)

question 8 asks on which route the airline companies will be mostly affected after the HSR network is completed a. Wuhan-Guangzhou; b. Hangzhou-Shanghai; c. Chengdu-Shanghai; d. Lanzhou-Beijing
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2303
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
I notice that in East Asia, that tends to be the way HSR is built. Look at South Korea and Japan too. Whereas in Europe, you will more than often see the rails on the ground. I guess this also has something to do with noise restrictions and that residents are much more vehement against obstructions of the view.
1. Farmers get angry if the railroad slices their land in half. Viaducts allow total access.

2. Less land in Asia. Need to save land for farming. PR issues will arise if the government doesn't minimize the footprint of the railway.

3. Safer operation. No human/animinal crossing.

4. China has enough money to address what's mentioned above. Europe may not always be able to afford it.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2304
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
The 2011 National Higher Education Entrance Examination is ongoing.

Interestingly, in one comprehensive liberal arts test, there are three multiple choice questions regarding Chinese high speed railways.

question 6 asks what is the first natural factor to consider when selecting route for a high speed railway: a. topography; b. geology; c.climate ; d.hydrology

question 7 asks what is the primary reason that high speed railways are often built on viaducts in plain areas: a. noise reduction; b. less occupation of arable land; c. shortened route; d. protection of wildlife
(Holy sh!t, this question was asked in this thread one day before the exam! Was the test content leaked? sekelsenmat, seriously, are you taking the exam?)

question 8 asks on which route the airline companies will be mostly affected after the HSR network is completed a. Wuhan-Guangzhou; b. Hangzhou-Shanghai; c. Chengdu-Shanghai; d. Lanzhou-Beijing

This is really a funny coincidence..
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2305
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
The problem is that the answer given on this board is "all the above."
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #2306
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The problem is that the answer given on this board is "all the above."
There are many factors but the primary reason is to use less arable land.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #2307
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
There are many factors but the primary reason is to use less arable land.
Interesting, in Japan the main reason is to lower the level of noise and vibration to meet the strict anti-pollution laws.
SamuraiBlue está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2308
asif iqbal

Likes (Received): 65

Can someone please tell me where the hell China gets so much money to make these projects? why cant other countrys do this? I mean they just make it look so freggin easy!
asif iqbal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2309
asif iqbal

so is the Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway now up and running if fo how much is the ticket?>
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2310
aksstar
Epic

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif iqbal View Post
Can someone please tell me where the hell China gets so much money to make these projects? why cant other countrys do this? I mean they just make it look so freggin easy!
I am not an expert but in my estimation the question of capital has more to do with tax revenues. It is the most populous nation that has lifted more than 400 million of it's citizens out of poverty and into the middle class in the past decade alone. Their growth has been export driven and they are the cheapest supplier of manufacturing goods for markets in developed countries. A lot of their GDP comes from exports. Lastly it is a central economic planning system with market oriented implementation mechanisms. The allocation of scare resources is done very efficiently and without any leakages. One can think of them as a state that is run like a corporation.

It is time to bring transparency and accountability to the system and install effective mechanisms to fight corruption.
aksstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2311
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

In my opinion,China and develpoed countries are in two different phase of development stage.China use most of the resources on infrastructures and development to continue the current growth,whereas developed countries allocate most of their resources in social security as their infrastructure are more developed,and once a country spend more money on social security,it would be hard to reverse,cuz pr problems will arise from that,so Europe and USA find it hard to get money to build such project.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2312
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
no free health care, no pensions, no wars or occupations, protectionism, endless workforce, no regard for workers rights or other externalities, devalued currency and a planning office should help
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2313
laojang

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Money is a relative concept. The average Chinese is very poor when measured
by the so called GDP, comparing with rich countries. But GDP is just some inaccurate and relative concept which are not always comparable between different countries. One factor is that in China labors and raw materials are relatively cheap, so a nominally small amount of money can go long way. The second
factor is Chinese people and government usually have a much higher saving rate in cash. In contrast people and governments in the West usually have much
more money on paper (GDP, etc), but they also have much more debt.

Laojang
laojang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2314
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
no free health care, no pensions, no wars or occupations, protectionism, endless workforce, no regard for workers rights or other externalities, devalued currency and a planning office should help
welcome troll,go learn some basic economics before commenting.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2315
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwen View Post
hahaha ok, well i guess the days of chinese trolls are numbered
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2316
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
It's more politics than economics that explains the massive boom in HSR in China.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2317
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

I think the government currently are doing great at making the tax revenue spent on more efficient way.If most money goes to education,health care,social sercurity like developed countries, it would be hard for goverment to implement high growth policy,so a gradual increase of wealth fare and high economic growth is much better than most money spend on wealth fare which will be crap with such lil money for 1.3billion ppl and less growth.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2318
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
It's more politics than economics that explains the massive boom in HSR in China.
Is all about economic policy. read my post and ignore the troll,he tried troll on any chinese thread he can involve with.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2319
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Is all about economic policy. read my post and ignore the troll,he tried troll on any chinese thread he can involve with.
and leave it to an overzealous nationalist to jump to the wrong conclusions

i quite agree with the protectionist mercantilism china does and i think europe should too

oh, and i challenge you to prove your accusation that i trolled all chinese threads

and i am an economist, jerk
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2320
asif iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
well if no wars, occupation, rights is the reason then every country in the world should give them up just to have a country like China I know which one i would pick!

Tags
china, high speed rail