daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #2521
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Definetly share your pictures here...
we will definitely see him in the news report, and he's probably gonna be interviewed by reporters.

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2522
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

12306.cn does only support Internet Explorer on Windows. I borrowed a Windows-running computer from someone since I only have Macs. The first tickets were put on sale 3 minutes earlier, at 08:57. I tried to book a ticket for a couple of times but didn't pay, until I got a right-side window seat. I paid ¥1750 with my credit card.

Then I went to Tianjin Railway Station to get a printed paper ticket. At 09:53, I touched "Print ticket" button at ticket machine number 002 in Tianjin Railway Station's ticket office, a couple of seconds later, the ticket machine says, "System busy, ...", soon it became "Out of Service" and a virus scanning started on the ticket machine. I changed to another ticket machine but it told me the ticket had already been printed earlier.

So I complained to a staff in the ticket office. A technician came and opened the ticket machine but nothing helps. I waited in a room in the ticket office for one hour and a half, and they contacted with the ticketing service center in Beijing. I got my printed ticket at 11:18 finally.

yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #2523
Mika Montwald
Improving Earth

Likes (Received): 3

SOLD OUT * SOLD OUT * SOLD OUT

After watching some of the BEIJING -- SHANGHAI CRH videos, ... ...
I am speculating that BEIJING -- SHANGHAI CRH lines running @ 300 km/hr will be mostly SOLD-OUT most of the time.

When it is running @ 380 km/hr, it will be almost lights out for airlines company.
In a few short years -- when it is running @ 480 km/hr, time to say <ASALA VISTA Airly>.

-----------------------------------------------

In order to gain a more well informed perspective, please read this story below ... ...

OFF Topic:

BTW, in a nation that is heavily tilted towards serving the CEO and the Super Rich instead of the Main Street,
say USA for example, please read this story below ... ...

Regular Main Street people are forced to slow down when the FAT CAT Wall Street are passing by.

My question is ... ...
Does this kneeling down towards <FAT CAT Wall Street> happen in China airspace too?

SOURCE: SLATE
LINK: http://www.slate.com/id/2297400?wpisrc=xs_wp_0001

Quote:
Why hasn't commercial air travel gotten any faster?
By Brian PalmerPosted Wednesday, June 22, 2011, at 6:40 PM ET

Fuel efficiency, among other things. Commercial airlines have slowed down over the last three or four decades. Today, flying from New York to Denver takes 19 more minutes than in 1983, and a flight from Washington, D.C., to Miami takes 45 more minutes than in 1973. The primary reason for such sluggishness is the cost of fuel.

By the laws of physics, the increase in drag equals the square of the increase in speed, so even a slightly faster flight requires a lot more fuel. Hiking a plane's velocity by 10 percent takes 21 percent more energy. Speeding up by 40 percent approximately doubles fuel consumption. Shorter flights can save airlines money on labor, but not enough to offset the loss in efficiency. (Fuel represents about 35 percent of the cost of a flight, whereas personnel expenses constitute 30 percent.)

Fuel isn't the only reason for the slowdown. In the 1960s and 1970s, most personal and corporate planes were propeller or turbo-prop aircraft, which fly at a lower altitude than jetliners. That kept them out of the way of large commercial aircraft.

Today, most bigwigs fly jets, and their gain is our loss: Not only are more planes using U.S. runways,
but passenger jets must reduce their airspeed when they get caught behind by a corporate CEO

There have also been changes in the way airlines report flight times, which makes them seem longer than they actually are. When airlines started disclosing their percentage of on-time flights in the mid-1980s, they added a few extra minutes to the scheduled times to increase their apparent punctuality, a practice known as block padding.

Are you studying the Basic Traditional Proper CIVILIZED BEHAVIORS <弟子规> ??

Last edited by Mika Montwald; June 24th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Mika Montwald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2524
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
this is not gonna happen with freight trains sharing the same line.

the freight trains should be removed from this particular line to a separate freight line. there is no need for the freight trains to get in the city core, so the new freight line can be built in the outer circle of each city, and MoR can demolish those freight depots in downtown areas(which they can sell the plots for a lot of money or they can use for other development purpose).
The biggest capacity constraint is speed differential. The commuter trains would be operating at 160km/h, which freight trains can easily do. Stopping at stations might mean each commuter train takes up 2 train paths, but that's hardly a big deal if the signalling supports high frequency operation. I very much doubt that commuter services alone would warrant a separate pair of tracks, and it's much more economic to optimally use track capacity than simply build build build.

The biggest problem, I would say, is the stations constructed on the wrong line. The Shanghai - Nanjing PDL is littered with small stations that should be on the classic line.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #2525
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
12306.cn does only support Internet Explorer on Windows. I borrowed a Windows-running computer from someone since I only have Macs. The first tickets were put on sale 3 minutes earlier, at 08:57. I tried to book a ticket for a couple of times but didn't pay, until I got a right-side window seat. I paid ¥1750 with my credit card.

Then I went to Tianjin Railway Station to get a printed paper ticket. At 09:53, I touched "Print ticket" button at ticket machine number 002 in Tianjin Railway Station's ticket office, a couple of seconds later, the ticket machine says, "System busy, ...", soon it became "Out of Service" and a virus scanning started on the ticket machine. I changed to another ticket machine but it told me the ticket had already been printed earlier.

So I complained to a staff in the ticket office. A technician came and opened the ticket machine but nothing helps. I waited in a room in the ticket office for one hour and a half, and they contacted with the ticketing service center in Beijing. I got my printed ticket at 11:18 finally.

Still some teething problems to sort out then.

¥5 for buying the ticket at the 'wrong' place ...
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2526
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The PDLs are not really designed for hugh speed-differentiations, and in the case of the Shanghai - Nanjing PDL, one cannot neglect the big inter-city high-speed demand between the 6 major cities (the Beijing - Shanghai line is useless for Suzhou, Changzhou etc.).
How is it useless?

Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway does have 6 intermediate stations between Hongqiao and Nanjing South:
Kunshan South
Suzhou North
Wuxi East
Changzhou North
Danyang North
Zhenjiang South.

How often shall D and G trains stop at these stations?
Quote:
The current infrastructure is capable of running a 3-tier service between Shanghai and Nanjing, with perhaps minor alterations:

Shanghai - Nanjing direct using Beijing - Shanghai line;
Shanghai - Kunshan - Suzhou - Wuxi - Changzhou - Zhenjiang - Nanjing using the PDL;
That would mean disuse of the intermediate stations of the Beijing-Shanghai line.
Quote:

All stops Shanghai - Suzhou; Suzhou - Changzhou; Changzhou - Nanjing using the classic line mixed in with freight.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2527
fragel

Quote:
Still some teething problems to sort out then.

¥5 for buying the ticket at the 'wrong' place ...
he should not have to pay this fee if the automatic ticketing machine had printed his ticket. maybe yaohua2000 could tell us what happened regarding this extra fee.

Quote:

they should have compensated for the extra trouble and the time you wait in the office, maybe some credit or at least some souvenir, won't cost them much but the gesture would be much better. well, railway authorities and staff are known for not having such service attitude.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2528
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
How is it useless?

Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway does have 6 intermediate stations between Hongqiao and Nanjing South:
Kunshan South
Suzhou North
Wuxi East
Changzhou North
Danyang North
Zhenjiang South.

How often shall D and G trains stop at these stations?

That would mean disuse of the intermediate stations of the Beijing-Shanghai line.
Those small stations on the Beijing - Shanghai line are ill located for the cities they are supposed to serve, and should be decommissioned immediately. They will never see more than a couple of trains a day and even those couple of trains will severely impact on overall line capacity. Train paths and all that.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2529
yaohua2000

Quote:
he should not have to pay this fee if the automatic ticketing machine had printed his ticket. maybe yaohua2000 could tell us what happened regarding this extra fee.
Yes, I refused, and she paid the fee.

Quote:
they should have compensated for the extra trouble and the time you wait in the office, maybe some credit or at least some souvenir, won't cost them much but the gesture would be much better. well, railway authorities and staff are known for not having such service attitude.
Actually this time their attitude was not bad, perhaps partly because they had heard my stuck ticket was not ¥58 but ¥1750-worth.

This was also the first time I stepped into the ticket room behind the ticket windows. I waited in a sofa and they served me a couple cups of hot water.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2530
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
They will never see more than a couple of trains a day and even those couple of trains will severely impact on overall line capacity. Train paths and all that.
How do the Kodama trains on Shinkansen affect the line capacity?
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #2531
mmystc

Likes (Received): 18

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
Flickr 上 JMPaul未命名相片[/IMG]
mmystc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #2532
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Not much since they have the same running characteristics in terms of acceleration rate, deceleration rate and speed as a Nozomi so as long as they set-up a time schedule so that the Kodama is at a station when Nozomi passes then there in no problem.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #2533
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Those small stations on the Beijing - Shanghai line are ill located for the cities they are supposed to serve, and should be decommissioned immediately. They will never see more than a couple of trains a day and even those couple of trains will severely impact on overall line capacity. Train paths and all that.
Those new stations are basis for new city centers to be built outside of the currently already jam packed metropolitans.

Keep in mind that even the cities with "small" stations have population of over 5 million.

This type of scheduling with faster/slower trains has been a part of China's railway network for the past 30 years. Impact will be minimal as the more frequently stoping trains will be giving way to the faster trains.

The Chinese has some of the most advanced railway traffic managment system in the world, even on conventional lines.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2534
chornedsnorkack

I count 21 stations on Shanghai-Nanjing high speed railway between Hongqiao and Nanjing.

Kunshan South is shared with Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway.

What are the straight distances
Suzhou-Suzhou North
Wuxi-Wuxi East
Changzhou-Changzhou North
Danyang-Danyang North
Zhenjiang-Zhenjiang South
Nanjing-Nanjing South?
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2535
yaohua2000

Quote:
I count 21 stations on Shanghai-Nanjing high speed railway between Hongqiao and Nanjing.

Kunshan South is shared with Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway.

What are the straight distances
Suzhou-Suzhou North
Wuxi-Wuxi East
Changzhou-Changzhou North
Danyang-Danyang North
Zhenjiang-Zhenjiang South
Nanjing-Nanjing South?
Suzhou–Suzhou North: 10.6 km
Wuxi–Wuxi East: 14.5 km
Changzhou–Changzhou North: 7.8 km
Danyang–Danyang North: 7.9 km
Zhenjiang–Zhenjiang South: 7.1 km
Nanjing–Nanjing South: 13.0 km
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #2536
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Suzhou–Suzhou North: 10.6 km
Wuxi–Wuxi East: 14.5 km
Changzhou–Changzhou North: 7.8 km
Danyang–Danyang North: 7.9 km
Zhenjiang–Zhenjiang South: 7.1 km
Nanjing–Nanjing South: 13.0 km
Thanks!

For comparison, as described above, Yokohama-Shin-Yokohama is 7,9 km along connecting railway, shorter in straight line.

Nanjing and Nanjing South are now connected by Nanjing Metro Line 1. It also extends beyond these stations in both ends, with total length of 46 km.

What is the distance between Nanjing and Nanjing South on Nanjing Metro line 1?

How long does Nanjing Metro take to travel Line 1 from Nanjing to Nanjing South? And is it a convenient way to reach destinations anywhere along Line 1 from whichever station the high speed train reaches?

Nanjing Metro Line 3 is said to be under construction, and also connect Nanjing and Nanjing South. When shall it open for traffic?

Does the Suzhou Metro now under construction connect Suzhou North?
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2537
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

just think of these as airports
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2538
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Let's just compare the Tokaido Line with the Shanghai - Nanjing PDL -

Tokaido (Tokyo - Shin Osaka): 515 km, 17 stations (about 30 km per station)
Shanghai - Nanjing: 301 km, 31 stations (about 10 km per station)

The Shanghai - Nanjing PDL is just over half as long, and has under twice many stations compared to the Tokaido.

Between Tokyo and Shin Osaka, Nozomis only stop at Tokyo, Shinagawa, Shin-Yokohoma, Nagoya, Kyoto and Shin-Osaka. Hikaris only have 2 or 3 more stops than Nozomis, so fit in quite comfortably. Every hour, there are usually about half a dozen Nozomis, 2 Hikaris and 2 Kodamas.

On the Shanghai - Nanjing PDL, there are already about half a dozen 'Nozomis' (G-trains) + 'Hikaris' (D-trains). Given the station density of the line there's no way you can operate 300km/h 'Kodomas'. Also there is scope for at least 3 all-stopping trains per hour, even 6 in the eastern sections, so it makes absolutely no sense to have the small stations on the fast line. All-stops should be 160 km/h running on the slow lines.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2539
fragel

Wuhan-Guangzhou HSR could be profitable next year, but speed-reduction cast uncertainty

The report by 21cbn said that, according to its source from the railway authorities, during the first half of 2011 the ridership on Wuhan-Guangzhou HSR was about 70%, and the number of passengers exceeded the railway authorities' expectation. The fare revenue generated on Wuhan-Guangzhou HSR in the first half of this year is about 5 billion RMB, or about $770 million (for comparison, the total revenue in 2010 was about 5.2 billion RMB). Based on this trend, the railway authorities once estimated the total revenue in 2011 could reach 9 billion RMB, and thus could cover all the loan payment, operation cost and fixed asset depreciation of the year.

However, due to speed and price reduction soon to be in effect, the expected yield might be affected. The source believes that the reduction of maintenance cost and electricity fee due to speed reduction would be very limited, and decrease in fare revenue could be greater than the cost reduction due to lowered fare and potential loss of passengers to airlines after speed reduction. It is uncertain at this point how speed reduction will affect the passenger volume.

read more (in Chinese)
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #2540
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
However, due to speed and price reduction soon to be in effect, the expected yield might be affected. The source believes that the reduction of maintenance cost and electricity fee due to speed reduction would be very limited, and decrease in fare revenue could be greater than the cost reduction due to lowered fare and potential loss of passengers to airlines after speed reduction. It is uncertain at this point how speed reduction will affect the passenger volume.

read more (in Chinese)

Have the schedule times and ticket prices of Wuhan-Guangzhou high speed railway after 1st of July been published?

Tags
china, high speed rail