daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #2661
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
Metre gauge, 140 km/h.
Thanks. This clarifies things up. I completely forgot that Malaysia is using 1000mm tracks. Although for some reason they use 1435mm on the KLIA line.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #2662
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post

As for the 'empty' remarks, well 'empty' is a subjective concept, but I think the photos speak for themselves.
I think his "trip" was conducted some time in June i.e. weeks before the Beijing-Shanghai line was open. Knowing that Hongqiao is the terminus of the new line which is the busiest and most important HSR line in China it may be not surprising that there were no big crowds. He should have come a couple of weeks later to see a different picture. Anyway, he should refrain from making such comments in the future because he made a complete fool out of himself making factual errors in almost every single statement he made as an aftermath of his China visit
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2663
idoke

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
whether the reuters report is correct is one issue, but PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE ARTICLE TITLE AT YOUR WILL
I don't understand why you are so angry. I didn't claim to quote the article's title.
Also, there was a similar report on China daily a few days ago, but I didn't save the link.
idoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2664
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoke View Post
I don't understand why you are so angry. I didn't claim to quote the article's title.
Also, there was a similar report on China daily a few days ago, but I didn't save the link.
I don't have to be angry with you. just don't tell me that you can't tell the difference between your words "Beijing to cut" and the article title "Beijing mulls cuts".
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2665
fragel

Hainan West Ring Railway approved, construction may start in late 2011

length: 344km
investment: RMB 27.1 billion (or about $4.2 billion)
minimum radius: 5,500 m
top speed: 250 km/h

route (west ring railway will connect with the already-built east ring railway):

Quote:
新华网海口7月9日电(记者赵叶苹)记者从海南省发改委和海南省跨海通道办公室获悉,新建海南西环铁路可行性研究报告近日获国家发展改革委批复。海南省跨海通道办公室有关负责人说,这意味着项目具备了开工建设的条件,下一步将转入征地拆迁和施工设计招投标工作,项目有望今年下半年开工建设,工期计划4年。
read more here

Last edited by fragel; July 10th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2666
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Here are some obvious mistakes imo:

1. The HSR is not maglev, as is pointed out by Nozumi; Mr. Roubini probably heard about the proposed maglev line.
2. There is no commercial flight between Shanghai and Hangzhou, as Pansori suspected; who would take a flight when a 169km train ride only takes 45 minutes and costs $12?
3. The HSR cuts the travel time from previous 78 minutes to 45 minutes;
4. Hongqiao Airport is not a 'new local' airport; Mr. Roubini probably did not know Hongqiao Airport was the only international airport in Shanghai before Pudong Airport was built;
5. The 'Highway' parallel to the HSR is not new either. Shanghai-Hangzhou expressway opened in 1998.

As for the 'empty' remarks, well 'empty' is a subjective concept, but I think the photos speak for themselves.
Just ignore the guy's comments. He has no clue about what he is saying about China.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2667
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Hainan West Ring Railway approved, construction may start in late 2011

length: 344km
investment: RMB 27.1 billion (or about $4.2 billion)
minimum radius: 5,500 m
top speed: 250 km/h

route (west ring railway will connect with the already-built east ring railway):

What is the state of progress for a high speed railway Guangzhou-Maoming?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2668
ANR

Likes (Received): 117

Nouriel Roubini's opinions

Quote:
Economist Nouriel Roubini talking about his ride on Shanghai-Hangzhou HSR
"It is always interesting to see the differences in perspectives by visitors to China. See the following excerpt from a Wall Street Journal article "China vs. America: Which Is the Developing Country?" on 7/9 by ROBERT J. HERBOLD who is a past COO of Microsoft:

"Recently I flew from Los Angeles to China to attend a corporate board-of-directors meeting in Shanghai, as well as customer and government visits there and in Beijing. After the trip was over, in thinking about the United States and China, it was not clear to me which is the developed, and which is the developing, country.

Infrastructure: Let's face it, Los Angeles is decaying. Its airport is cramped and dirty, too small for the volume it tries to handle and in a state of disrepair. In contrast, the airports in Beijing and Shanghai are brand new, clean and incredibly spacious, with friendly, courteous staff galore. They are extremely well-designed to handle the large volume of air traffic needed to carry out global business these days.

In traveling the highways around Los Angeles to get to the airport, you are struck by the state of disrepair there, too. Of course, everyone knows California is bankrupt and that is probably the reason why. In contrast, the infrastructure in the major Chinese cities such as Shanghai and Beijing is absolute state-of-the-art and relatively new.

The congestion in the two cities is similar. In China, consumers are buying 18 million cars per year compared to 11 million in the U.S. China is working hard building roads to keep up with the gigantic demand for the automobile.

The just-completed Beijing to Shanghai high-speed rail link, which takes less than five hours for the 800-mile trip, is the crown jewel of China's current 5,000 miles of rail, set to grow to 10,000 miles in 2020. Compare that to decaying Amtrak."

The entire article can be found at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...195057084.html
ANR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2669
Cancun

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
A former railway official in China said recently that the claimed top speed of 350 km/h for high-speed trains was achieved at the cost of safety, after the railway ministry cut the operating speed for its high-speed trains below 300 km/h.

A former railway official in China said recently that the claimed top speed of 350 km/h for high-speed trains was achieved at the cost of safety, after the railway ministry cut the operating speed for its high-speed trains below 300 km/h.

Former railway minister Liu Zhijun, who was dismissed after an investigation into serious disciplinary violations, has been reportedly the driving force behind the push for a rapid expansion of China’s HSR network.

When Liu was on office, he had asked every part equipped with the HSRs should be the best in the world, former deputy chief engineer of the railway ministry Zhou Yimin said during an interview with the 21st Business Herald, the notion of being No.1 in the world is deeply rooted in his mind.

“We bought CRH3 and CRH5 produced in Germany, and CRH2 made by CSR Sifang's Qingdao factory, a joint venture with a Japanese company,” Zhou said, “The foreigners wrote clearly in the contracts that the top running speed should be 300 km/h, so Liu Zhijun’s 350 km/h was not true. What he wanted was buying a train with top speed designed at 300 km/h but making it run at a speed of 350 km/h.”Liu even raised the requirements of the speed from 350 km/h to 380km/h, Zhou said, because he was at that time facing much pressure from media in Japan and Germany, who criticized bluntly over China’s high-way trains, claiming that raising speed meant eating up the safety factors.

The core parts for CRH are made by foreign companies such as Simens, Zhou said. After China introduced the trains, it has made a big progress in making and developing its own railway technologies, but still lacks of core research and development capabilities, he added.

He also said that tests for the Beijing-Shanghai highway line had been running for a month, but probable safety problems still deserve further observation.

“In fact, glitches are common seen in our current several high-speed lines, some may appearing small but not for actually and all of them are being kept secret,” Zhou said.

“For example, the 200 km train of CRH 5, which connects Beijing with Shenyang, had been forced to stop in midway for several times on malfunctions,” he said.
http://english.caijing.com.cn/2011-06-21/110752370.html
Cancun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2670
SimFox

Likes (Received): 514

if this retired "Chief engineer" mr Zhou can't make difference between Siemens and Alstom, between Germany and "other foreigners" may be he should just keep his mouth shut. Or he should have spoken then when he was in his office in MOR...

Yet his "conscious" somehow had awaken just now when his former boss run into trouble.
Generally mr. Zhou paints picture of rampant corruption and incompetence at the MOR. At the times when hi was chief engineer of the organization shouldn't we take him as a part of this very same incompetence and corruption? Part trying to cover the sit of his pants now when "political winds had changed"?

And if the "real problem" was driving "foreign" trains made for 300 km/h (again mr chief engeener apparently doesn't know specifications of Velaro, well not really terrible shock here) at speeds of 350 km/h, how then he only gives an example of 200 km/h train to Shenyang stopages as an example of system malfunctions? Why not give similar horror stories about say Beijing - Tianjin line?

Last edited by SimFox; July 10th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2671
Pansori
planquadrat

CRH5 was produced in Germany?
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #2672
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Italy. Pendolino was a Fiat Ferroviaria and Alstom bought them.
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #2673
fragel

this Zhou Yimin was sacked by the former minister Liu Zhijun for incompetence (in 2003 0r 2004 which I can't remember the exact year), that is why he has this grudge against the former minister. and of course he is not involved in Chinese high speed railway construction. all the remarks he made were not based on first hand experience or data, in fact you can find all these remarks in previous media reports and forum posts. what he is saying now just proves that the former minister made the right decision: he has no knowledge about HSR.

the article did not quote Zhou's most famous and most hilarious remark:"If the (train) speed is too high, it can create a sonic boom"("航空航天专家告诉我速度和噪声成5-7次方的关系,如果速度太高,会产生音爆。"). not that it is wrong in principle, but it is quite funny to worry about sonic boom at current speeds. note that he got this idea after an aviation expert told him that noise is proportional to the 5-7th order of speed, it is safe to say he was not thinking about the micro-pressure wave, i.e. the tunnel boom.

ignorant dudes like him in power is partially the reason why Chinese railway development was so slow in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited by fragel; July 10th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #2674
fragel

catenary system hit by thunder, trains delayed on Beijing-Shanghai HSR

the catenary system on the section between Tengzhou and Zaozhuang was hit by thunder around 18:10 pm on July 10th, and was repaired around 19:37pm. 12 trains were affected.

Quote:
东方网记者王铭泽7月10日报道:因受雷电天气影响,今日18:10左右,京沪高铁滕州至枣庄段供电线路遭受雷击,造成接触网故障,影响北京往上海下行方向12趟列客车不同程度晚点。经过铁路部门的抢修,19:37恢复正常供电和行车。东方网记者从铁路上海局了解到,目前,已在1趟晚点列车到站,后续列车最晚将在24点40分抵达。
read more on sina
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #2675
idoke

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I don't have to be angry with you. just don't tell me that you can't tell the difference between your words "Beijing to cut" and the article title "Beijing mulls cuts".

OK. Now I get your point.
Obviously you are right. I should have said "Beijing considers cutting"

English is not my mother tongue, and actually I really didn't know the meaning of the word "mulls".
idoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2676
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

Tianjin West
By 天河 from a Chinese photography forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2677
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Great pictures! Men on the roof gives a nice reference to appreciate the size of the structure. Awesome...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2678
fragel

another wave of delays on the Beijing-Shanghai HSR on July 12th

this time it happened around Suzhou(宿州). seems a power cable was burned, causing power failure.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/society/20..._121656439.htm

Quote:
新华网上海7月12日电 (记者 贾远琨) 记者从上海铁路局了解到,7月12日11时,京沪
高铁宿州附近因供电设备故障,造成部分列车晚点。经全力抢修,13时故障处理完毕。
据介绍,目前,晚点列车已经恢复运行。铁路部门对列车晚点给旅客造成的不便表示歉
意。
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #2679
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoke View Post
OK. Now I get your point.
Obviously you are right. I should have said "Beijing considers cutting"

English is not my mother tongue, and actually I really didn't know the meaning of the word "mulls".
you see the journalists are quite cunning. they tend to use words like "considers the possibility of cutting", "may cut" or in this case "mulls cuts", because they don't wanna assume the responsibility of false reporting. The report of possible funding cut based on anonymous source is probably another trick to influence the stock market.
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #2680
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Great pictures! Men on the roof gives a nice reference to appreciate the size of the structure. Awesome...
wowwww!!!

how tall is it?
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail