daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2821
7freedom7
Ill get 6 pack abs

Likes (Received): 412

Good thing is this accident doesn't shake people's confidence on CRH

Beijing South railway station today.

7freedom7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2822
Aenelia

Likes (Received): 24

For the French speakers : http://bigbrowser.blog.lemonde.fr/20...u-web-chinois/

Lots of indignation on the Chinese web about the burying of the carriages and the personal effects of the people that died inside them.
Aenelia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2823
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
They would have to switch off ATP for low-speed manoeuvring

Eg. going in and out of depots with no signalling.
I am not going to pretend how the PRC system works but ATC and ATP are usually installed on the rail and signals are fed directly into the control with no switches.

In Japan the override can only be issued at central command that monitors all trains.
Is there no central command in the PRC system?
SamuraiBlue está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2824
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
I am not going to pretend how the PRC system works but ATC and ATP are usually installed on the rail and signals are fed directly into the control with no switches.

In Japan the override can only be issued at central command that monitors all trains.
Is there no central command in the PRC system?
No we have central command in Chinese system, and every railway bereau has their own dispartch center
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2825
WatcherZero

It wasnt three minutes after a passenger pulled the emergency brake that the collision occured, it occured 23 minutes after the train lost power and came to stop.

The carriages have now been buried near the crash scene rather than taken away for study, reportedly the government said it was to keep their technological secrets from the general populace.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #2826
greenlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
the government said it was to keep their technological secrets from the general populace.
did't see the report in Chinese forums, but in yesterdays conference, the official explaination is

Quote:
“他告诉我,不是想掩埋,事实上这个事情是无法掩埋的,”王勇平说,对于为什么要掩埋,他们给出了这样的解释。“因为当时在现场抢险的情况,环境非常复杂,下面是一个泥塘,施展开来很不方便,还要对其他的车体进行处理,所以他们把车头埋在下面,盖上土,主要是便于抢险。”
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2827
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Obviously major f*** ** by the command center. Shuting of the ATP is just brilliant, great work lads However this is not unexpected in an autocratic society where individual thinking is surpressed
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2828
greenlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Obviously major f*** ** by the command center. Shuting of the ATP is just brilliant, great work lads However this is not unexpected in an autocratic society where individual thinking is surpressed
Oh, surpressed...... yes, But chinese website are now full of anger about the incident right now, includes official medias are questioning various of explanations and infomations published by MOR.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #2829
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

I realise this is quite a heated issue, however, we don't want to go the route of the skybar with insults flying around. Lets keep the discussion as apolitical as we can guys so that we can discuss this tragedy respectfully.

Thanks everyone. The information posted thus far has been interesting.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2830
WatcherZero

Shares in the two train manufacturers down 10% today, property companies also down 4% due to close association between property development and railway construction.Overall 3% fall in Chinas stock market, largest fall in 6 months.
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2831
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Rest in peace for people who died.

First of all, each accident should have taken extremely seriously and everything should be done to prevent it happening again. In this regard, I am glad some people are fired so other people will take their jobs much more seriously.

I just hope this accident does not create a situation where high speed network affected negatively in mid/long term. This accident happened on an upgraded line and with first generation trains so does not really tell that much about the new high speed network. Still together with other glitches, naturally, it will create some doubts. I am not expecting passenger numbers decreasing but it may affect some policies.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2832
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

I just hope from this accident they learn the dangers of rushing projects through, and also that of manual operation of trains when electronic systems go wrong. If something goes wrong, just stop the trains running - it's better to deal with angry passengers stuck at stations than to deal with dead ones and their families.
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2833
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

The burial of remains of the dead and wreckage, allegedly done hastily, if confirmed, would have been totally abhorrent and appalling. That is the type of procedure you use to contain an epidemic of Ebola, not to treat an accident, maybe crime scene!
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #2834
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2835
WatcherZero

Translation?
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2836
WatcherZero

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/chinas-effo...104743216.html

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #2837
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Hello guys,

I was offline through the days so I can only now thank you for the informations.
After all, I am not happy about the disaster itself (R.I.P.), but I'm happy about the main cause of that. You may ask why? Since in this case it is clear that signaling and train control system is reliable when it's working, and it is much easier to force people to do they job properly than rebuild the signaling system in all the Chinese high-speed network and have very strict safety rules until it happens.

Note that it must be possible for trains to go even without signaling - but only in a very very slow way. Usually enabled speed in this case should be 25-40 km/h. By this speed the driver is able to stop his train when he catches the other one in sight.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #2838
WatcherZero

Wow, just learned their not just burying the carriages intact (One response to the burying allegations from the government is their burying the carriages for site access reasons, so that they can bring in heavy vehicles to the site and will excavate them later), their breaking them up and crushing them first!
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2839
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

why is there a need to bury the carriages?
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #2840
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Hello guys,

I was offline through the days so I can only now thank you for the informations.
After all, I am not happy about the disaster itself (R.I.P.), but I'm happy about the main cause of that. You may ask why? Since in this case it is clear that signaling and train control system is reliable when it's working, and it is much easier to force people to do they job properly than rebuild the signaling system in all the Chinese high-speed network and have very strict safety rules until it happens.
I'm 100% with you, I'm glad that the problem is with people not the technology. In this case they should not only punish the operator who overrode the system, but more importantly the manager who made the call. As of yesterday the lines has already been reopened, with other D trains drive slowly pass the scene, it's a bizzard picture.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail