daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #2941
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
Which is true. I bet HSR's fatalities/passenger*km are orders of magnitude lower than road's.
Of course it is! There is no debate on that. The point I was making is that many a SSC forumer is keen on censorship of media out of their sense of superiority above the average press reader/viewer.

The press is not bound to keep reassuring the public that travelling on trains is still safer than on roads. The press shall be free to make whatever sensationalization it wants, and train and air crashed make it big time because there are many people dying at the same time, and crash scenes are horrendous. Then, if someone is lead by emotions and not rationale, so be it.

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2942
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Now they won't export their technology for a billion years. And I've got a feeling this accident and govt's handling of it will generate a public mutiny not seen in modern China before.
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2943
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What worries me is that some bloggers and even SSC forumers (in other threads discussing the subject) show a kind of support for this ban, alleging that "high speed rail is still much safer than road" and that "the public doesn't need to be fed in sensationalist articles, leave it to the technicians".
Are we talking in General , because HSR accidents are still less then Road Accidents which kill 100,000s across the Global yearly.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2944
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

He's objecting to censorship rather than arguing the point about rail vs. road in this case, Nexis and for once, I agree with him. This crash should be investigated thoroughly and without bias.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2945
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
He's objecting to censorship rather than arguing the point about rail vs. road in this case, Nexis and for once, I agree with him. This crash should be investigated thoroughly and without bias.
Oh ic , but you know that will never happen in China or any developing Nation....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2946
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon91 View Post
Now they won't export their technology for a billion years. And I've got a feeling this accident and govt's handling of it will generate a public mutiny not seen in modern China before.
Don't hold your breath, the exactly same public outcry occurred after the horrible 2010 Shanghai apartment fire, however now seven months later people hardly talk about it. And that's for a building that still stands in downtown Shanghai, smoked black just like the day after the fire. The mayor of Shanghai even got to keep his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Of course it is! There is no debate on that. The point I was making is that many a SSC forumer is keen on censorship of media out of their sense of superiority above the average press reader/viewer.

The press is not bound to keep reassuring the public that travelling on trains is still safer than on roads. The press shall be free to make whatever sensationalization it wants, and train and air crashed make it big time because there are many people dying at the same time, and crash scenes are horrendous. Then, if someone is lead by emotions and not rationale, so be it.
People are forgetful, media especially so, memories like that will only live in online communities like SSC. You are right about that universally media should be free to sensationalize, but that may not apply to China's current situation. We all know that limited degree of free speech is a recent thing there, and the general public still tend to view the media as some sort of authority, so any sensationalization made by the media will be received by the people as truth or the government's opinion. While in the west people have gotten used to it and will use their own judgement against media sensationalism. In this case, we should be happy that it took the government over a week to fully enforce the ban, as by pushing the government's red line again and again, hopefully it will eventually bring permanent change to China's media, social, or even political system.

Last edited by hmmwv; August 1st, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2947
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post

People are forgetful, media especially so, memories like that will only live in online communities like SSC. You are right about that universally media should be free to sensationalize, but that may not apply to China's current situation. We all know that limited degree of free speech is a recent thing there, and the general public still tend to view the media as some sort of authority, so any sensationalization made by the media will be received by the people as truth or the government's opinion. While in the west people have gotten used to it and will use their own judgement against media sensationalism. In this case, we should be happy that it took the government over a week to fully enforce the ban, as by pushing the government's red line again and again, hopefully it will eventually bring permanent change to China's media, social, or even political system.

It's not even the media being free to "sensationalise" that we are talking about in this case, more like the media being free to report anything at all. I also don't believe this will become forgotten as a problem as other issues seem to be appearing on the network, which will remind people of this crash and the possibility of a similar incident happening again.
I'm pretty glad to see the media "pushing the envelope" as you say, however.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:49 AM   #2948
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
It's not even the media being free to "sensationalise" that we are talking about in this case, more like the media being free to report anything at all.
As far as I can see, most of the big dogs in the private sector are still resisting the ban. For example Sina has been constantly updating the special report of the crash, and related news updates are still the headline of its main news portal. I have to give credit to those guys as their news updates and especially Weibo have helped to limit the damages caused by the ban.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2949
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

Guangzhou-Shenzhen CRH test run

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgxNzg0Njcy.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgxNzgxMjQw.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1MzIyODcy.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1MzA3Mzky.html
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2950
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
As far as I can see, most of the big dogs in the private sector are still resisting the ban. For example Sina has been constantly updating the special report of the crash, and related news updates are still the headline of its main news portal. I have to give credit to those guys as their news updates and especially Weibo have helped to limit the damages caused by the ban.
Interesting, I wonder what stance the Party will take on that?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2951
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
There is no crack down here. It is simply all rumours from so called "internet sources" which no one could verify. Some people like to fan the flame because it is sensational.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2952
WatcherZero

Beijing-Shanghai line opened June 30th ticket sales are flagging, even more so after the accident according to state media, some trains are running as low as 30% full. 10 trains on Monday had more than 200 empty second class 555 Yuan ($86) seats according to China Railway Customer Service Centre. Last year 187m Yuan was fraudently diverted from the line by individuals and companies and Liu Zhijun took 800m Yuan in bribes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/beijing-sha...135904865.html
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2953
hmmwv

With 44 trains departing every day from Shanghai, and 1600 seat capacity, I don't see anything abnormal with it. The report didn't differentiate those 10 trains' departure time and type (non-stop, two-stop, or multiple stop). You can't expect every train to be full, when I check the online ticketing system most of the trains departing during the day are mostly full. It's interesting that the airlines are hiking prices as some people switch back to Beijing-Shanghai shuttle flights, I hope soon a balance between HSR and airlines will be found by consumers.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #2954
hmmwv

Quote:
The party wants control, but not at the expense of business, so they will continue to tightly control state media while give private companies a little slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
There is no crack down here. It is simply all rumours from so called "internet sources" which no one could verify. Some people like to fan the flame because it is sensational.
I believe there is an actual directive send out but probably not an strict ban on everything, news portals such as Sina knows how to find the compromise with the government, as part of it they took down the accident special report banner from its front page (the page is still easily accessible).
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM   #2955
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Beijing-Shanghai line opened June 30th ticket sales are flagging, even more so after the accident according to state media, some trains are running as low as 30% full. 10 trains on Monday had more than 200 empty second class 555 Yuan ($86) seats according to China Railway Customer Service Centre. Last year 187m Yuan was fraudently diverted from the line by individuals and companies and Liu Zhijun took 800m Yuan in bribes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/beijing-sha...135904865.html
Report is retarded. Public infrastructure should be designed to accommodate future growth. A system that hits operating capacity shortly following introduction would be grossly under designed and should be expanded immediately.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:44 AM   #2956
WatcherZero

Theres a difference between available paths and empty trains. One is available growth room, the other transporting empty air. Now that we know the lines were only ever built for 300kmh and the 350kmh and 380kmh an hour advertised speed were lies it made sense that they put on extra capacity slow/cheap services after the speed reduction, it looks like the extra capacity is uneeded however and can be removed again at least for the moment.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:13 AM   #2957
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Now that we know the lines were only ever built for 300kmh and the 350kmh and 380kmh an hour advertised speed were lies
This sentence is flaming at best, more like trolling.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:16 AM   #2958
hmmwv

Jilin-Hunchun PDL Hunchun section construction starts. 359.75km, 250km/h. Estimated completion October 2013.

中铁十九局吉图珲客专珲春段全面开工

来源:人民铁道网 作者:王丽娟 发表时间:2011-08-01 11:51
  近日,吉图珲铁路客运专线珲春段的密江东阳,英安靖边等工地上呈现出一派车来人往,机声轰鸣的繁忙景象。珲春段的开工标志着由珲春市中铁十九局集团负责施工的吉珲客运专线全面开工。

吉图珲铁路客运专线是已通车的长春至吉林客运专线的延伸线,是吉林省“十二五”规划的重点建设项目之一。该项目西起吉林市,东至延边朝鲜族自治州珲春市,正线全长359.75公里。全线共设9个车站,设计时速为250公里,总投资416亿元,是今年铁道部招投标开工的第一条铁路。该线路计划于2013年10月全线建成通车。中铁十九局集团自今年六月中标后,从四面八方调集“精兵强将”奔赴珲春。指挥部和各工区坚持高标准开局,高质量建设,高水平管理的目标;参战员工发扬铁道兵敢打硬拼的光荣传统,迅速投入到了紧张的施工中。

在十九局六工区小盘岭隧道二号斜井,可以看到“中铁十九局集团承建小盘岭隧道二号斜井”的大字。隧道洞门初支成形,喷锚的混凝土、锚杆将导线墙和起拱线形成弧形,为确保八月一日正式掘进进洞打下了基础;在钢筋加工区,可以看到车来人往,机声轰鸣,焊花飞舞的景象。在关门拌和站,五个盛装水泥的大罐高高竖立,直入云端。在现场的孟站长介绍说,“从征地购料到加工安装,我们用了仅不到一个月时间,还有三天就可生产混凝土了……”关门英安特大桥全长1782米,一台悬式钻机停在现场,几名工人师傅正在调式试钻;红线外的施工便道笔直平坦,直通三道岭隧道。沿途红旗招展,处处呈现出一片斗志昂扬的景象。全体参战人员决心建设出安全优质高效建好珲春客专,向吉林省交出一份满意答卷;以优异成绩向延边自治州60周年大庆献礼。

Hangzhou - Ningbo PDL will start track laying on August 10th. Total length 149.89km, design speed 350km/h, target completion June 2012 (delayed from end of 2011 due to slow progress at Hangzhou East).

杭甬客专铺轨打响攻坚战

来源:人民铁道网 作者:兰金星 梁善淋 发表时间:2011-07-28 16:34
  根据铁道部调整安排,杭甬客专将于8月10日开始全线铺轨,各参建单位迅速全面开展劳动竞赛。据了解,中铁十七局六公司8月26日铺轨到达杭州上虞管段,该公司承建的曹娥江特大桥和工序繁杂的上虞北站工期压力较大,为实现铺轨目标,该公司在杭州召开了现场办公会,采取果断决策,多措并举,为打赢杭甬客专最后一个攻坚战吹响了号角。

为了全面确保铺轨目标,该公司从多个项目抽调一批参与了津京、京沪高铁建设的技术骨干补充到杭甬客专工地,将相关设备火速调派支援,并将剩余工程量进行重新划分,实行分工负责、分区包保的限期负责制,新组建了专业铺板队伍负责曹娥江特大桥轨道板铺设灌浆、轨道和道岔精调施工,将上虞北站土方填筑、站台墙、站内矩形排水沟、道岔安装等12项工序进行分割,实行交叉施工,加快工程进度。为了调动参建人员的建设热情与激情,该公司广泛开展劳动竞赛,鼓舞一线工人苦战、奋战60天,发扬苦战、奋战、持续战精神,全力冲刺保证铺轨按期完成。

Last edited by hmmwv; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2959
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Jilin-Huichun PDL Huichun section construction starts. 359.75km, 250km/h. Estimated completion October 2013.
It's not “Huichun”.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2960
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
It's not “Huichun”.
Thanks, I fail at pinyin.

Tags
china, high speed rail