daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3121
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

New pics from the Lanzhou–Urumqi Line:

yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #3122
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by preservarbuenosaires View Post
This might be the most mediocre analysis ever...
Care to enlighten us on why it is so? Otherwise your post means nothing.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3123
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by preservarbuenosaires View Post
This might be the most mediocre analysis ever...
Is this a case of "I don't like the conclusions drawn, so I'll find fault with the entire piece." ?

Otherwise, like k.k.jetcar says, please give reasons.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3124
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

OK I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taizu View Post
The train crash in Wenzhou had a significant impact on the high-speed rail industry in China. For the first time since the 1990s, train speed is expected to slow down. Some train makers have halted production, and the $5 billion expected IPO of Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway was suspended after the crash. One Chinese official indicated that, "upcoming safety checks on the country's high-speed railway network are necessary to raise the government's credibility". These indicators suggest that a serious problem exists within the Chinese high-speed rail system.
Vague assertions. "Serious problems..." OK, but what serious problems? Problems that are insurmountable forever? Unlikely. Problems that can be worked out? They aren't building a nuclear powered space ship, they are building bridges and tunnels and putting tracks in/on them. Just because they managed to screw that up doesn't mean they can't quite easily just take a look at how the entire rest of the world builds railways and take a little more care. There is absolutely no quantifiable amount of 'problems', and for that reason the article so far has been an emotive-based one rather than an actual analysis of anything.

Quote:
Conclusion:

Debates like these are fairly rare in China where citizens are often discouraged from criticizing the government. The railroad system is a crown jewel for the Chinese government, and it is clearly not too pleased with the criticism. However, the government faced tremendous public backlash that forced it to reduce the level of censorship.

The very nature of this debate can be seen within the above mentioned comments as nationalists and government skeptics battled it out online. Thousands of people viewed these comments and over a hundred commented, showing that this became a highly salient issue in China. The end result, based on media analysis, public sentiment, and financial data suggests that Chinese high-speed rail development is in serious trouble and may be slowed for years.
The conclusion here is that censorship is in trouble, not the high speed railways. I am not saying that there is not a problem for HSR in China, but just that this articles own point is actually that censorship, not HSR, is in trouble. Only the writer of the article didn't even realise the logic of their own point.

This article tries to make the point of a railway being in trouble without a single mention of passenger numbers or revenue. Methinks therefore it is a load of tosh.
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #3125
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
OK I'll try.

Vague assertions. "Serious problems..." OK, but what serious problems? Problems that are insurmountable forever? Unlikely. Problems that can be worked out? They aren't building a nuclear powered space ship, they are building bridges and tunnels and putting tracks in/on them. Just because they managed to screw that up doesn't mean they can't quite easily just take a look at how the entire rest of the world builds railways and take a little more care. There is absolutely no quantifiable amount of 'problems', and for that reason the article so far has been an emotive-based one rather than an actual analysis of anything.

The conclusion here is that censorship is in trouble, not the high speed railways. I am not saying that there is not a problem for HSR in China, but just that this articles own point is actually that censorship, not HSR, is in trouble. Only the writer of the article didn't even realise the logic of their own point.

This article tries to make the point of a railway being in trouble without a single mention of passenger numbers or revenue. Methinks therefore it is a load of tosh.
True, it can certainly not claim to be making sound assumptions, nor even claim to be unbiased, but I believe his accusations of it being possibly the most mediocre artice ever were a little overblown at least.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #3126
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The analysis is based purely on data mining of online discussions so it's more like a experiment of using data mining as a way to gauge public sentiment, rather than a serious study of how will Chinese HSR fare in the future.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #3127
godetto
Prendete e bevetene tutti

Likes (Received): 491

First of all, I would like to apologise for my request, as it might be OT.

As I will use chinese high speed rail in the next months, I was trying to understand if it is possibile to book online tickets (not from agencies, but from the company itself).
It would be really useful, as when I came to China in summer 2010 the train I used was really sold out, no place in any car (I had to get the tickets two days before).

Thank you.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #3128
gnatho

Likes (Received): 4

@godetto

You can try http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/kyfw/ . Some time ago it was only available for Beijing - Tianjin and Beijing - Shanghai HSR, however now you can book also other lines. Rumors say that by the end of the year all trains should be in the online booking system.
gnatho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3129
yaohua2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by godetto View Post
First of all, I would like to apologise for my request, as it might be OT.

As I will use chinese high speed rail in the next months, I was trying to understand if it is possibile to book online tickets (not from agencies, but from the company itself).
It would be really useful, as when I came to China in summer 2010 the train I used was really sold out, no place in any car (I had to get the tickets two days before).

Thank you.
It's possible only if you read Chinese and have a Chinese credit/debit card.
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #3130
godetto
Prendete e bevetene tutti

Likes (Received): 491

Thank you.
Unfortunately I can't read chinese, and I have noy any chinese card...
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3131
vmvmedia
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Look it like as model railway
But Nice pic
vmvmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3132
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by godetto View Post
Thank you.
Unfortunately I can't read chinese, and I have noy any chinese card...
Sounds like the best option for you is either book through a travel agency, or be at the train station a little earlier and buy it from the ticketing machine, it has a pretty good English interface and takes cash.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3133
yaohua2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Sounds like the best option for you is either book through a travel agency, or be at the train station a little earlier and buy it from the ticketing machine, it has a pretty good English interface and takes cash.
You can't use ticketing machine without a Chinese ID card, thanks to Sheng Guangzu.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3134
hmmwv

Oct 1st National Day travel peak causing capacity problem and more CRH trains are added to service across the nation (source in Chinese).

Beijing-Tianjin ICL: Daily service increased to 92 pairs, with the option to go to 100 pairs if demands remain high. http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2011-10-01/101623249017.shtml

Beijing-Shanghai HSR: Two more G trains added (G150, G162). http://finance.sina.com.cn/roll/2011...10569470.shtml

Wuhan-Guangzhou PDL: Four D trains added http://finance.sina.com.cn/consume/p...10545862.shtml

Guangzhou-Shenzhen ICL: Three D trains added http://finance.sina.com.cn/consume/p...10545862.shtml

Zhenzhou-Xi'an PDL: One pair of G train added http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2011-09-30/180723246417.shtml

Fuzhou-Xiamen PFL: Six pairs of D trains added http://fj.sina.com.cn/xm/news/ms/201...102424141.html

Hainan East Ring ICL: Frequency increased to 22-25 pairs per day http://news.sina.com.cn/o/2011-09-26/141823218727.shtml
Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3135
hmmwv

Some more updates about CRH but I haven't located the English versions of them yet.

State Council / MOR's two month long railway safety inspection concluded, results will be turned into implementable solutions in the future. MOR will increase investment in railway safety infrastructure. http://news.bjnews.com.cn/2011/1001/133601.shtml

South Dail article about railway investment in the future.
http://epaper.nfdaily.cn/html/2011-1...nt_7012473.htm

1. CNY 20B railway construction bond issuing date delayed to Oct 12th.
2. Shenzhen-Xiamen ICL finish date delayed to late next year due to financing troubles.
3. Railway investment is CNY 357.7B as of August, down 11.75% from last year.
4. Major delays coming to 200km/h intercity links, Zhujiang River Delta's 516km intercity express rail network will not be completed by 2013 as planned.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:23 AM   #3136
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Some more updates about CRH but I haven't located the English versions of them yet.

State Council / MOR's two month long railway safety inspection concluded, results will be turned into implementable solutions in the future. MOR will increase investment in railway safety infrastructure. http://news.bjnews.com.cn/2011/1001/133601.shtml

South Dail article about railway investment in the future.
http://epaper.nfdaily.cn/html/2011-1...nt_7012473.htm

1. CNY 20B railway construction bond issuing date delayed to Oct 12th.
2. Shenzhen-Xiamen ICL finish date delayed to late next year due to financing troubles.
3. Railway investment is CNY 357.7B as of August, down 11.75% from last year.
4. Major delays coming to 200km/h intercity links, Zhujiang River Delta's 516km intercity express rail network will not be completed by 2013 as planned.
Ugh... big signs of slowdown

I hope they at least complete the 4+4 350 km/h routes, in the end.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM   #3137
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Oct 1st National Day travel peak causing capacity problem and more CRH trains are added to service across the nation (source in Chinese).
Are these trains temporary and shall end after holidays, or was it an occasion to introduce new completed trains which remain in service after holidays?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3138
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Ugh... big signs of slowdown

I hope they at least complete the 4+4 350 km/h routes, in the end.
It's still quick by Western standards, even with a delay of a couple of years. The prospect of UK's HSR starting construction in 2017 is like the best news in the world lol.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #3139
preservarbuenosaires
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

"Railway investment is CNY 357.7B as of August, down 11.75% from last year."

Been realistic, that's not a big step back.

It's just 12% less than 2010, and 2010 hadthe biggest budget ever.
It's still more than 2009 budget that was itself bigger than the US and Germany and France and Spain budgets combined.

Let's stop seing ghosts!
preservarbuenosaires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3140
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
It's still quick by Western standards, even with a delay of a couple of years. The prospect of UK's HSR starting construction in 2017 is like the best news in the world lol.
Well, while we're looking at the West: delay often leads to cancellation. And that's the trend i'm afraid of will happen in China as well.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail