daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3241
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I think we've seen that new design before, not sure they are still doing a CRH420 considering all the slowing downs, but may be a successor to 350km/h certified CRH2s.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #3242
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Since we're talking about the design of the CRH420, is there any new info on the status of the CRH380D?
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3243
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think we've seen that new design before, not sure they are still doing a CRH420 considering all the slowing downs, but may be a successor to 350km/h certified CRH2s.
Yes, I too have seen it before, though it's good to see such a nice design (hopefully) coming out.

I doubt it'll see service much above 350, as hmmwv said, due to slowdowns etc
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3244
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

a propaganda film of CRH, not too bad.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI0MDg4ODM2.html
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3245
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

^Excellent video there.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #3246
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

They could have shoot a real one... I hope they are shooting documentaries about this huge build up. Does anyone know what National Geographic or Discovery have been doing?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3247
HunanChina

nice, overlook in the air.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEwMzQ0NzEy.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMDIzOTM2.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA5NTMxODMy.html
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #3248
HunanChina

a small CRH station, but nice. isn't it?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgzNzA2NjIw.html
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #3249
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Zhaoqing's Xijiang Bridge main arches
China Daily
update: 2011-11-24

On the morning of Nov 12, the main arches of the Xijiang Bridge on the Naning-Guangzhou railway in Zhaoqing, Guangdong province, were joined together after three years of construction.

Xijiang Bridge is located in the upstream of Sanrong Gorge. The bridge floor is 73.5 meters from the apex of the arch. It spans 450 meters, and is the longest railway arch bridge in terms of span length in the world.

The bridge is China's first mid-height, steel box deck arch bridge for railways, according to Zhang Chunxin, deputy general manager of China Zhongtie Major Bridge Engineering Group, contractor of the project.

Liu Chengliang, chief engineer of the Nanning-Guangzhou railway NGZ-8 project, said the bridge is 618.3 meters in full length. It will be completed by the end of next year. "The construction team is speeding up to finish the tail-in work after the arch is joined," Liu said. "The bridge floor is to be installed next month."

Nanning-Guangzhou railway is a key project listed in the nation's Mid and Long-term Plan for Railway Network Construction and the 11th Five-Year Plan for railways. It is a double-line electrified railway for passenger and cargo transportation, connecting Guangdong and Guangxi. Trains on the railway are designed to run at a minimum speed of 200 kilometers per hour. It will take about three hours to travel from Guangzhou to Nanning, saving 11 hours.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #3250
foxmulder

I like arc bridges. Is there any more pictures of this one?
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #3251
HunanChina

I think it's the best of China.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Sx13ZUR0Rh4/
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3252
cnzhongke

Likes (Received): 0

china maquina de minerales~~~
www.chinazhongke.net/esp

MINEIRA
cnzhongke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #3253
Silver Swordsman

Guys, I don't know if any of you have spotted this, but I'm unnerved by the design in this picture:

link:http://img.ph.126.net/BUOeg0DMfoba04...3673245532.jpg

It clearly shows that the structural supports holding up the platform roofing are also used as catenary poles. To me, that is a disaster waiting to happen: does the name "Eschede" ring a bell for anyone? The world's worst high speed train accident was exacerbated by the fact that the bridge the train knocked down had its critical support pylons placed directly next to the track. Looking back at this CRH station, it seems that any derailment while the train is passing through the station could compromise the structural stability of this station.

I'm not blasting the Chinese for "poor quality construction" for this. This just seems to be one of the many problems that arise when one swallows 40 years of expertise and tries to digest it in little more than five--the overlooking of small details. At least I'm glad that not all stations share this compromised design:

link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_P1080117.JPG

Last edited by Silver Swordsman; December 7th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3254
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

The photo don't work. I think it could be due to hot linking or something like that.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #3255
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnzhongke View Post
china maquina de minerales~~~
www.chinazhongke.net/esp
Hmm good point.

But from what it looks like, it seems to me that the catenary wires are attached to the pylons on one side of the platform only. That side seems to be for stopping trains. On the passing tracks in the middle (or left of picture), it seems that the poles are separate from the pylons. Which would be the safe method. Am I right?

That being the case, the trains on passing tracks would be for fast trains that are not stopping. So I dont think Eschede could happen here.
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #3256
foxmulder

If a derailment happens at full speed in a station, roof is the last thing you would worry Cars flying at 300km/h will demolish everything anyway. It is really a small station as far as I can tell so roof supports will be always under "danger".
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #3257
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

Could you put some markings on the picture so that we can better understand what you are talking about?
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #3258
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
If a derailment happens at full speed in a station, roof is the last thing you would worry Cars flying at 300km/h will demolish everything anyway. It is really a small station as far as I can tell so roof supports will be always under "danger".
I guess if a derailment occurring at 300 km/h even in a small TGV station like Haute-Picardie there would be cars flying all over the place causing casualties and damaging any structures in the close vicinity. Perhaps they should have grade separated the passing tracks with crash barriers or some sort of shell to contain any derailing train. Or they could completely separate the passing tracks from the station tracks like the stations on HS1 in the UK.

BTW the video renderings of Calif. HSR for stations at Fresno and Ontario airport also show similar layouts.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #3259
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian

I guess if a derailment occurring at 300 km/h even in a small TGV station like Haute-Picardie there would be cars flying all over the place
Don't forget that when that TGV derailed at cruising speed, nobody died because of the way the TGV is designed. Instead of 10 short TGV coaches flying around, the articulated design kept everything rigidly together so it was 200 meters of train derailing.

The disaster in Eschede wouldn't have been that big either, if that ICE had an articulated design.
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #3260
Silver Swordsman

If there was a "full-blown" derailment (like natural jackknifing), then I would agree, it wouldn't make much of a difference. However, in most derailment cases, the train usually remains mostly on the track due to inertia, with minimal lateral shifting. The design of the station, specifically, the row of pillars between the tracks in the foreground and those in the background, substantially lower the margin for error, and hence, greatly reduce the margin of safety.

Placing load-bearing pylons within two meters of a moving train... all that train has to do is to tip over by a few degrees and it's game over.

@Huhu: See below picture. The pylons in question are circled in red. Note (the blue line) that they are very close to the tracks since they also serve as catenary poles.

@AlexNL, I disagree that Eschede would have been better if the ICE used articulated carriages. Looking at the wreck, cars 1-3 stayed relatively upright even though they used normal carriages. The rest of the train knocked over and plowed into a 300 tonne bridge. Eschede was the worst-case scenario.

Last edited by Silver Swordsman; December 7th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Tags
china, high speed rail