daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3701
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Indefinitely postponed. Because of high costs and minimal improvement in travel time, it is highly unlikely it will be built.

I think if anything is going to be built, it will have to wait for cheaper, Chinese technology where they don't have to spend so much money on the foreign technology, and will be an extension from the current line on to the Center, then on to Hongqiao.
I agree with the cost concern but I still hope the inter-airport Maglev to be built and I believe the extension will dramatically increase the passenger volume and operational revenue.

I live in Pudong area. It's inconvenient everytime I need to fly from Hongqiao airport, and vice versa for the residents in Puxi to take flight at Pudong airport. It's time sensitive for flight catching so I rarely take subway to airports even though Line 2 connects the 2 airports.

So it'll be so nice if Maglev can connects the 2 airports directly, a stop at city center would definitely add more value to it though its a nice-to-have feature only.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM   #3702
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

I live in Pudong area. It's inconvenient everytime I need to fly from Hongqiao airport, and vice versa for the residents in Puxi to take flight at Pudong airport. It's time sensitive for flight catching so I rarely take subway to airports even though Line 2 connects the 2 airports.

So it'll be so nice if Maglev can connects the 2 airports directly, a stop at city center would definitely add more value to it though its a nice-to-have feature only.
Yeah, I completely agree. Line 2 was pretty horrible when I had to catch a flight from Pudong, but I had to come from almost Hongqiao. And besides, Line 2 isn't actually one line connecting the two airports. It's secretly 2 lines, meaning you have to change trains... but don't tell anyone
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3703
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Yeah, I completely agree. Line 2 was pretty horrible when I had to catch a flight from Pudong, but I had to come from almost Hongqiao. And besides, Line 2 isn't actually one line connecting the two airports. It's secretly 2 lines, meaning you have to change trains... but don't tell anyone
They definitely need a supplementary express line for Line 2. Same goes for Line 1 and 3.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3704
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The problem is that a maglev line from Longyang Rd to Hongqiao will ultimately go through city center, so there will be a lot of people complaining about the alleged health hazard associated with maglev trains.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #3705
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14635

I can't see a way for the maglev line to be extended pass the Longyang Road station. There are buildings directly in the way and no room along the Inner Ring Elevated Road.

Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #3706
hmmwv

No, there is no way to extend the line in its current configuration, even if the station does have room on the other end of the platform for extension. If a connection line is to be built it'll have to be situated south of the current line, probably branch off the current line before Longyang Rd to save cost, but avoid the busiest part of the city and cut through between Xuhui and Minhang district.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM   #3707
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The problem is that a maglev line from Longyang Rd to Hongqiao will ultimately go through city center, so there will be a lot of people complaining about the alleged health hazard associated with maglev trains.
yes. they may have to dig tunnels like when they built all the underground subways.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3708
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

I think it'd be fast and cheaper to build an alternative line going south towards Disney Land, then the South Railway Station and stopping somewhere a little north of that...(there are about 10 more metro lines planned, so...).
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3709
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
yes. they may have to dig tunnels like when they built all the underground subways.
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think it'd be fast and cheaper to build an alternative line going south towards Disney Land, then the South Railway Station and stopping somewhere a little north of that...(there are about 10 more metro lines planned, so...).
It's a good idea to have a stop at Shanghai Disneyland, although they are planning on a subway line branched off Line 2 for the theme park it's still going to be very slow to move people there. However we want to be careful of adding to many stations though, that probably will result in a much reduced top speed as the train won't have enough time to accelerate.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3710
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.
What is the top speed of Guangzhou-Shenzhen high speed trains in Shizimen tunnel?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3711
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv

It's a good idea to have a stop at Shanghai Disneyland, although they are planning on a subway line branched off Line 2 for the theme park it's still going to be very slow to move people there. However we want to be careful of adding to many stations though, that probably will result in a much reduced top speed as the train won't have enough time to accelerate.
Well, I only say that because I know they are working to allow for special visa free travel for visitors to the Disney Park, thus it would make sense to have some kind of direct link there...
If you look at the metro plan from 2007, when they were planning the line to extend to Hangzhou, you'll see that they did intend for the line to extend past Longyang to Shanghai South Station then branch south to Hangzhou (not happening at this point) and north to Hongqiao. I think the northern line is still very much viable (and necessary) they just need to get the alignment correct.
A stop at Disney seems necessary for the commercial viability of the [extended] line.
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3712
big-dog

Quote:
you have a good point. But it isn't necessarily made an all tunnel route. It doesn't make too much time difference if the city center section (say 15km) is underground with a reduced speed of 100kmph.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #3713
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Trains are right now going at 300km/h in many tunnels in China albeit they are much shorter tunnels. Japanese maglev line, eventually, will be mostly underground. Don't think it is a huge problem. It may need to be a larger one with more detailed/careful venting design but still doable imho.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3714
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Can Maglev go underground? How the hell does that work? I have never seen Maglev underground.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #3715
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Can Maglev go underground? How the hell does that work? I have never seen Maglev underground.
What is the problem?

Imagine a Maglev track. Imagine that Maglev track surrounded by a big concrete tube. Imagine that tube being underground.

What's the problem?
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #3716
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Linimo would like to have a word with you...
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #3717
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
What is the problem?

Imagine a Maglev track. Imagine that Maglev track surrounded by a big concrete tube. Imagine that tube being underground.

What's the problem?
I have never seen it done.

If Maglevs cant change grades like ordinary trains can right? Still not completely familiar with Maglev concept.

Any pictures of maglev running underground?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3718
Silly_Walks

Quote:
I have never seen it done.

If Maglevs cant change grades like ordinary trains can right? Still not completely familiar with Maglev concept.

Any pictures of maglev running underground?
The Shanghai maglev is just a fancy, floating monorail... look for pictures of underground monorails and you'll have an idea.

Or like this:

Source: Wikipedia

See, the maglev goes in a "tunnel".

What's the problem??????
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3719
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks

The Shanghai maglev is just a fancy, floating monorail... look for pictures of underground monorails and you'll have an idea.

Or like this:

Source: Wikipedia

See, the maglev goes in a "tunnel".

What's the problem??????
I think he's wondering about the train shifting from an elevated track down into a tunnel...
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3720
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think he's wondering about the train shifting from an elevated track down into a tunnel...
I still don't see the problem. There are tons of metros that go from elevated track to tunnel. Just from the top of my head I know of one in Shanghai, one in Amsterdam (Amstel -> Wibautstraat) and one in Rotterdam.
A 1 second google search gave me this picture from Paris:

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spag85/3520224918/

Tags
china, high speed rail