daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3701
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Indefinitely postponed. Because of high costs and minimal improvement in travel time, it is highly unlikely it will be built.

I think if anything is going to be built, it will have to wait for cheaper, Chinese technology where they don't have to spend so much money on the foreign technology, and will be an extension from the current line on to the Center, then on to Hongqiao.
I agree with the cost concern but I still hope the inter-airport Maglev to be built and I believe the extension will dramatically increase the passenger volume and operational revenue.

I live in Pudong area. It's inconvenient everytime I need to fly from Hongqiao airport, and vice versa for the residents in Puxi to take flight at Pudong airport. It's time sensitive for flight catching so I rarely take subway to airports even though Line 2 connects the 2 airports.

So it'll be so nice if Maglev can connects the 2 airports directly, a stop at city center would definitely add more value to it though its a nice-to-have feature only.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM   #3702
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,977
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

I live in Pudong area. It's inconvenient everytime I need to fly from Hongqiao airport, and vice versa for the residents in Puxi to take flight at Pudong airport. It's time sensitive for flight catching so I rarely take subway to airports even though Line 2 connects the 2 airports.

So it'll be so nice if Maglev can connects the 2 airports directly, a stop at city center would definitely add more value to it though its a nice-to-have feature only.
Yeah, I completely agree. Line 2 was pretty horrible when I had to catch a flight from Pudong, but I had to come from almost Hongqiao. And besides, Line 2 isn't actually one line connecting the two airports. It's secretly 2 lines, meaning you have to change trains... but don't tell anyone
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3703
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Yeah, I completely agree. Line 2 was pretty horrible when I had to catch a flight from Pudong, but I had to come from almost Hongqiao. And besides, Line 2 isn't actually one line connecting the two airports. It's secretly 2 lines, meaning you have to change trains... but don't tell anyone
They definitely need a supplementary express line for Line 2. Same goes for Line 1 and 3.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3704
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

The problem is that a maglev line from Longyang Rd to Hongqiao will ultimately go through city center, so there will be a lot of people complaining about the alleged health hazard associated with maglev trains.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #3705
Arnorian
Registered User
 
Arnorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Moesia Superior
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 14635

I can't see a way for the maglev line to be extended pass the Longyang Road station. There are buildings directly in the way and no room along the Inner Ring Elevated Road.

Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #3706
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

No, there is no way to extend the line in its current configuration, even if the station does have room on the other end of the platform for extension. If a connection line is to be built it'll have to be situated south of the current line, probably branch off the current line before Longyang Rd to save cost, but avoid the busiest part of the city and cut through between Xuhui and Minhang district.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM   #3707
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The problem is that a maglev line from Longyang Rd to Hongqiao will ultimately go through city center, so there will be a lot of people complaining about the alleged health hazard associated with maglev trains.
yes. they may have to dig tunnels like when they built all the underground subways.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3708
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

I think it'd be fast and cheaper to build an alternative line going south towards Disney Land, then the South Railway Station and stopping somewhere a little north of that...(there are about 10 more metro lines planned, so...).
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3709
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
yes. they may have to dig tunnels like when they built all the underground subways.
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think it'd be fast and cheaper to build an alternative line going south towards Disney Land, then the South Railway Station and stopping somewhere a little north of that...(there are about 10 more metro lines planned, so...).
It's a good idea to have a stop at Shanghai Disneyland, although they are planning on a subway line branched off Line 2 for the theme park it's still going to be very slow to move people there. However we want to be careful of adding to many stations though, that probably will result in a much reduced top speed as the train won't have enough time to accelerate.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3710
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.
What is the top speed of Guangzhou-Shenzhen high speed trains in Shizimen tunnel?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3711
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.

It's a good idea to have a stop at Shanghai Disneyland, although they are planning on a subway line branched off Line 2 for the theme park it's still going to be very slow to move people there. However we want to be careful of adding to many stations though, that probably will result in a much reduced top speed as the train won't have enough time to accelerate.
Well, I only say that because I know they are working to allow for special visa free travel for visitors to the Disney Park, thus it would make sense to have some kind of direct link there...
If you look at the metro plan from 2007, when they were planning the line to extend to Hangzhou, you'll see that they did intend for the line to extend past Longyang to Shanghai South Station then branch south to Hangzhou (not happening at this point) and north to Hongqiao. I think the northern line is still very much viable (and necessary) they just need to get the alignment correct.
A stop at Disney seems necessary for the commercial viability of the [extended] line.
__________________
MCRP '16
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3712
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If they are gonna dig a tunnel they'd better make it a reduced air pressure one but it'll be insanely expensive as everything will have to be air tight. I don't see how it's possible to have the train run entirely underground at over 400km/h. The pressure in front of the train and the vacuum pulled behind it will put a lot of stress on the tunnel and the stations in between.
you have a good point. But it isn't necessarily made an all tunnel route. It doesn't make too much time difference if the city center section (say 15km) is underground with a reduced speed of 100kmph.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #3713
foxmulder
Registered User
 
foxmulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 381

Trains are right now going at 300km/h in many tunnels in China albeit they are much shorter tunnels. Japanese maglev line, eventually, will be mostly underground. Don't think it is a huge problem. It may need to be a larger one with more detailed/careful venting design but still doable imho.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3714
krnboy1009
Registered User
 
krnboy1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 169

Can Maglev go underground? How the hell does that work? I have never seen Maglev underground.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #3715
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,977
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Can Maglev go underground? How the hell does that work? I have never seen Maglev underground.
What is the problem?


Imagine a Maglev track. Imagine that Maglev track surrounded by a big concrete tube. Imagine that tube being underground.

What's the problem?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #3716
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed
 
Sopomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 870
Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Can Maglev go underground? How the hell does that work? I have never seen Maglev underground.
Linimo would like to have a word with you...
__________________
And he kicked so many rosebushes at her that eventually, Sasuke turned into a log.
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #3717
krnboy1009
Registered User
 
krnboy1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
What is the problem?


Imagine a Maglev track. Imagine that Maglev track surrounded by a big concrete tube. Imagine that tube being underground.

What's the problem?
I have never seen it done.

If Maglevs cant change grades like ordinary trains can right? Still not completely familiar with Maglev concept.

Any pictures of maglev running underground?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3718
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,977
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I have never seen it done.

If Maglevs cant change grades like ordinary trains can right? Still not completely familiar with Maglev concept.

Any pictures of maglev running underground?
The Shanghai maglev is just a fancy, floating monorail... look for pictures of underground monorails and you'll have an idea.


Or like this:

Source: Wikipedia

See, the maglev goes in a "tunnel".


What's the problem??????
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3719
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks

The Shanghai maglev is just a fancy, floating monorail... look for pictures of underground monorails and you'll have an idea.

Or like this:

Source: Wikipedia

See, the maglev goes in a "tunnel".

What's the problem??????
I think he's wondering about the train shifting from an elevated track down into a tunnel...
__________________
MCRP '16
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3720
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,977
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think he's wondering about the train shifting from an elevated track down into a tunnel...
I still don't see the problem. There are tons of metros that go from elevated track to tunnel. Just from the top of my head I know of one in Shanghai, one in Amsterdam (Amstel -> Wibautstraat) and one in Rotterdam.
A 1 second google search gave me this picture from Paris:

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spag85/3520224918/
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
china, high speed rail

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium