daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3781
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

How usable is the Wuhan Station, and how does it connect to low speed Wuhan metro lines, Wuhan-Xianning Metropolis Intercity Railway, Wuhan-Yichang High Speed Railway and Wuhan-Zhengzhou High Speed Railway?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3782
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
I really like that the stations are almost as nice as airports with a high ceiling and open spaces so that it doesn't feel to crowded. I love how airport as they are designed to give a good impression and welcome to the city/country. It gives a grande and clean image. I remember when I arrived at Heathrow Airport in London and I got shocked how run-downed it was, it felt that I had arrived in a basement. Maybe because it was built in the 1950s, now China builds its infrastructure in the 21th century and isn't repeating the mistakes made in the past by other countries. China knows what it's doing. China applies the airport feeling with excellent design and comfort into its railports that no other countries has done. I also like that how the procedures are like the ones in an airport like check-in and waiting hall.
Missing the point entirely. The average traveller don't give an iota of a damn about grandeur - they just want to get out of there as quickly as possible. Your typical punter isn't going to be a tourist, but someone who makes their journey quite regularly. Walking on shiny marble for 10 minutes then sitting on some cold, hard metal chair might be a novelty for the first time, but after 5 times of doing it one would be utterly sick of doing it.

The whole point of developing high-speed railway is that it isn't aviation, that it doesn't involve cumbersome access journeys or entry procedures. Raw speed on the railway is still substantially lower than aviation, but that's made up by the (theoretically) turn-up-and-go nature. Now how does the removal of a major selling point make any sense at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
Could you develop this statement some more?
Well, everything needs to be 'big' is a start, and there's definitely a surge of individual materialism as well as an incredible level of irrationality. The politics is lurching dangerously towards the right as well. Let's leave it at that lest we derail the thread further.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #3783
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
I've stood just a 2-3 meters away from a 300 km/h train and felt no wind strong enough to knock me down.

Putting the wind aside, there isn't any danger of trains kicking up things and injuring bystanders simply because the train runs on ballastless slab track.

The only liability is people who want to commit suicide.
I never stand near the yellow line watching 300km/h trains passing so I might be wrong. But when my G141 stopped at Tengzhou station and adjacent HSR train passing by, I can feel the apparent shaking caused by the wind though I'm inside the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
You can only serve as many people as the number of platforms allow. There is still a vast oversupply of space compared to platform numbers. The waiting hall in the photo, large already, is only a fraction of the total space there.

Here are some photos I took in 2010 of other halls underneath the platforms.

I took similar photos in 2010 when the staion just opened and restaurant/sores were not yet opened. But now you can see more people in that area. Here're the photos I took last night around 8:30pm when I was trying to find a dinner place.

platform when I got off the train

restaurant searching - the other column has more people than this

almost all retaurants are full inside - I've seen more people at day time

What I want to complain is that I was trying to find a bar where I can have a beer and watch some football game - but I failed after searching all the eating places and end up settled in KFC
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #3784
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I never stand near the yellow line watching 300km/h trains passing so I might be wrong. But when my G141 stopped at Tengzhou station and adjacent HSR train passing by, I can feel the apparent shaking caused by the wind though I'm inside the train.

What I want to complain is that I was trying to find a bar where I can have a beer and watch some football game - but I failed after searching all the eating places and end up settled in KFC
I always feel so....anxious in the Shanghai Zhan...it takes so long to get outside lol, and I can never find a restroom
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #3785
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceparts View Post
from flickr chicagopig
image hosted on flickr
Nice find, love this type of photos
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3786
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

I could agree the stations are not very friendly for the elderly, huge distances to walk, and floors that are very slippery when (your feet are) wet.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #3787
big-dog

I wonder where it was taken, must be a CRH depot.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3788
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I wonder where it was taken, must be a CRH depot.
Note the 25T and 25K type conventional cars in the background, I don't think it's one of the CRH technical centers. It could be the rail yard of a major station serving upgraded conventional line, such as Shanghai.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #3789
big-dog

Bullet train stewardesses put on new uniforms

Updated: 2012-04-05 06:39

(Xinhua)

Quote:

Stewardesses dressed in new uniforms wait for passengers to board a bullet train, which is bound for Nanjing, in East China's Shanghai municipality, April 4, 2012, the last day of the national public holiday around the Qingming Festival. According to the Shanghai Railway Bureau which manages the railways in East China's Shanghai, Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang, stewardesses serving the region's high-speed trains will put on new, more casual uniforms during weekends and public holidays starting from April of 2012, as an alternative to the original non-holiday uniforms. [Photo/Xinhua]

Stewardesses dressed in new uniforms pose for photos next to a bullet train, which is bound for Nanjing, in East China's Shanghai municipality, April 4, 2012, the last day of the national public holiday around the Qingming Festival. [Photo/Xinhua]
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3790
chornedsnorkack

Do the stewards also get new uniforms, keep their old uniforms or not exist at all?
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3791
big-dog

gmp win first prize and commission for Hangzhou South Railway Station, China

Quote:

Following their success in winning first prize in an international competition, the architects von Gerkan, Marg and Partners (gmp) have been commissioned to design the new southern railway station in Hangzhou. The project involves the conversion and extension of the station in the Xiao Shan district to the south of the Qiantang river; after the eastern and main railway stations it will be the third largest railway station of this metropolis.

The design reflects the local culture, with the station building picking up elements of traditional buildings in Hangzhou: the base plinth consists of grey granite, the main building’s white walls enclose the waiting room level which is framed by perforated vertical slats – a reference to the traditional Chinese window shutters.

Passengers enter the station through foyers to the east and west. The 200 meter long and 18 meter high wait- ing hall - with its free-spanning construction without columns and plentiful daylight - offers passengers easy orientation. It creates a light-flooded space and provides a unique experience for passengers upon their arrival and departure. There are escalators and lifts for passengers and visitors to descend to the total of seven platforms.

The Hangzhou South Railway Station is not the only railway station project by gmp Architects. In addition to the main railway station in Berlin, which is the largest interchange station in Europe, they have built the Tianjin West Railway Station which, following its completion in 2011, serves as a stop along the high-speed line between Beijing and Shanghai.

Competition 2011 – 1st prize
Design Meinhard von Gerkan and Stephan Schütz with Stephan Rewolle Design team members Jiang Linlin, Zhang Yingying, Zhang Xiaoguang Client Ministry of Railways
Gross floor area 90,000 m2
Number of platforms 7
Number of tracks 21
Number of passengers/year from 2020 4.5 million
Construction period 2012-2014
archinect.com
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3792
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Do the stewards also get new uniforms, keep their old uniforms or not exist at all?
This line in the news answers your question:
"stewardesses serving the region's high-speed trains will put on new, more casual uniforms during weekends and public holidays starting from April of 2012, as an alternative to the original non-holiday uniforms."
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3793
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
This line in the news answers your question:
"stewardesses serving the region's high-speed trains will put on new, more casual uniforms during weekends and public holidays starting from April of 2012, as an alternative to the original non-holiday uniforms."

No, it does not. The news speaks about stewardesses only, and does not mention stewards.

Thus inspiring my question:

Do stewards not exist in the first place, keep their old uniforms, or also get new uniforms?
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3794
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Who cares about stewards.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3795
hmmwv

Quote:
No, it does not. The news speaks about stewardesses only, and does not mention stewards.

Thus inspiring my question:

Do stewards not exist in the first place, keep their old uniforms, or also get new uniforms?
Ha, I see, you were asking about the guys, I don't think I've seen any as a matter of fact, everyone from the janitor to the conductor have been girls. The MOR has figured out that disgruntled passengers are less likely to confront pretty girls.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3796
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
The MOR has figured out that disgruntled passengers are less likely to confront pretty girls.
Another reason to suspect the MOR of being complete geniuses
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3797
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Despite the rendering, this does not look like a pedestrian friendly train station. Look at the long distances pedestrians have to walk. Where are they walking from, a parking lot or bus stop 200 meters away? Why not have buses drop people off right at the entrance? Who is going to be walking around a vast cement plaza far from the center of town?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #3798
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
Despite the rendering, this does not look like a pedestrian friendly train station. Look at the long distances pedestrians have to walk. Where are they walking from, a parking lot or bus stop 200 meters away? Why not have buses drop people off right at the entrance?
From the plan, there are 2 "bus stations" around the station, on both sides on the corner just behind the trees on the right edge of the picture, and also one "coach station". What is the difference?

Also, which trolleybus lines of Hangzhou shall serve Hangzhou South railway station?
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #3799
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Ah, awesome. China is still moving ahead with its major highspeed rail developments.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3800
hmmwv

Quote:
From the plan, there are 2 "bus stations" around the station, on both sides on the corner just behind the trees on the right edge of the picture, and also one "coach station". What is the difference?

Also, which trolleybus lines of Hangzhou shall serve Hangzhou South railway station?
Coach station means long distance buses.

Tags
china, high speed rail