daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #4161
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

China: High-Speed Ahead
by Ami Field - TGJ Staff APRIL 16, 2012

http://theglobaljournal.net/article/view/669/

China has faced a lot of criticism about its new high-speed rail service, especially after a train derailed in July 2010, killing 40 and injuring 192. But a new World Bank study found that the service is already larger in volume than that on the entire French high-speed rail network, and is rivaling the volume on the Japanese high-speed rail system.

The report forecasts that rapid growth in traffic on China’s high-speed rail system will continue, as new lines currently under construction are completed, urban incomes rise, and the movement of the population from rural areas to cities continues.

High-speed rail services have now been operating in China for three years, and the sheer speed with which the rail system has been built is awe-inspiring. As many as 100,000 workers per line have built about 5,000-miles of track in just six years—sometimes ahead of schedule. The Beijing-to-Shanghai line not originally expected to open until 2012, opened early. The entire system is set to be completed by 2020.

“A general picture is emerging in which high-speed rail, as in other countries, is competing strongly on short and medium-distance routes up to 1,000 km while air remains dominant over longer distances,” said Richard Bullock, a railway expert and consultant to the World Bank and an author on the report.

For the United States and Europe, the implications are huge. China’s manufacturing and global export abilities are likely to grow as more cities are connected and workers can move faster. The United States has had trouble getting bipartisan support for a high-speed rail service, although President Obama is a strong supporter.

Many thought rail ridership in China would come from passengers moving from air to high-speed rail. But this has not been the case. Instead, a larger source of ridership has been ‘generated’ trips, or new trips by passengers who are traveling because of the greater convenience of a high-speed service.

Evidence suggests that high-speed rail can compete with air travel at distances up to 1,000 kilometers, but not over longer distances. For shorter distances, it seems to be able to take almost all of the market share from buses as long as train stations are conveniently located. But there are still more new passengers, who have never traveled these routes before, using high-speed rail, than former bus or air passengers switching to the train service. This implies a very high demand for high-speed rail service - a positive sign.

The report is “cautiously optimistic” about the long-term ridership and economic viability of the major high-speed railway network in China. “However, this optimism is tempered by the need to develop a sustainable financing mechanism in the short to medium term and to carefully weigh the costs and benefits of the peripheral extensions of the network,” the report concluded.

Meanwhile, last month, heavy rain caused a section of a 180-mile high-speed rail link in central China, set to open in May, to collapse, state news agency Xinhua said. There were no reports of any injuries from the collapsed track.

China's cabinet criticized the railways ministry last December for poor safety standards.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4162
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10725

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Lines such as Baoji-Lanzhou passes through numerous mountain ranges, rivers, and valleys, on this 400km line bridge, viaducts, and tunnels account for over 92% of the entire track length. I think JR is the best because its operational efficiency, perfect safety record, and the general ride experience (station/train cleanness, passenger friendly infrastructure).
Thanks for the reply. I see, do you have a figure for the entire HSR network (how much is tunneled etc)?

@ JR have you ever used it? My favorite thing about JR is the new trains are (supposed to be) the most energy efficient...the other stuff is cultural...

P.S. I have some videos from when I used China HSR (the view out of the window)..I need to re-upload it.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #4163
kw0943

Likes (Received): 1

According to a report, all tracks with a designed speed of 200 km/h will be lowered to 160km/h

I know that is old news

However, it is said that the initial operating speed of the Longyan-Xiamen Railway is 200 km/h although its designed speed is only 200 km/h. Is that a policy reverse? I am excited!!!!
kw0943 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4164
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by George08 View Post
According to the current timetable, the first bullet train heading for Longyan will depart from Xiamen Railway Station at 7:10 and arrive in Longyan Station at 8:39. The travel time from Xiamen to Longyan by train will be shortened to 90 minutes from the previous 4 hours.
How many direct trains daily shall travel Longyan-Xiamen-Fuzhou?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4165
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I see, do you have a figure for the entire HSR network (how much is tunneled etc)?

@ JR have you ever used it? My favorite thing about JR is the new trains are (supposed to be) the most energy efficient...the other stuff is cultural...

P.S. I have some videos from when I used China HSR (the view out of the window)..I need to re-upload it.
There is no detailed figure about the tunnel to track length ratio, but out of the 17000km HSR tracks in service and under construction bridge/tunnel average between 60%-90%. I have used JR East's Nagano line and also a commuter train on the Tokyo Chuo line. What I really liked is that although the land reserved for train stations and tracks are extremely limited compare to China's, they are able to use the space so efficiently that passenger flow is never impacted, and there are plenty of amenities (restaurants, bookstores, coffee shops, etc) in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw0943 View Post
According to a report, all tracks with a designed speed of 200 km/h will be lowered to 160km/h

I know that is old news

However, it is said that the initial operating speed of the Longyan-Xiamen Railway is 200 km/h although its designed speed is only 200 km/h. Is that a policy reverse? I am excited!!!!
The 200km/h lines where speeds are reduced are all previously upgraded conventional lines IIRC, newly built lines with 200km/h design speed are not affected.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:01 AM   #4166
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
How many direct trains daily shall travel Longyan-Xiamen-Fuzhou?
You mean non-stop direct train? zero.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4167
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
You mean non-stop direct train?
No, a direct train which makes intermediate stops in Xiamen and elsewhere but then continues with passengers staying on board from Longyan to Fuzhou.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4168
hmmwv

Quote:
No, a direct train which makes intermediate stops in Xiamen and elsewhere but then continues with passengers staying on board from Longyan to Fuzhou.
2 trains from Fuzhou to Longyan, 3 from Longyan to Fuzhou, a Nanjing to Longyan D train will fill the missing slot.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM   #4169
hmmwv

Wuhan-Yichang Railway has officially opened today, there will be 26 pairs of D trains daily, tickets starts at RMB 85 Yuan.
http://china.cnr.cn/yaowen/201207/t2...10073734.shtml
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4170
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

Wuhan Railway Station

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDE3OTMxMDY0.html
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4171
HunanChina

估计这个女孩儿是第一次坐高铁。

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDE2NjIwNTA0.html
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4172
HunanChina

Harbin-Dalian line test

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDExOTYwMDE2.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDEwOTYxODM2.html
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4173
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
The fastest train should finish the trip in approximately 2 hours. So far according to the new operation chart scheduled to be released on July 1st the Wuhan-Yichang Railway will have 27 pairs of D trains, 20 will be operating within Wuhan Railway Bureau, Nanjing South, Shanghai South, and Nanchang will each get two pairs of D trains to Yichang East.
What is the best trip time Shanghai-Yichang, of these 2 D train pairs?
20 are within Wuhan, and 2 to Nanchang, Nanjing and Shanghai each is 26 total. Where does the 27th go?
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4174
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Opened in July 1st
Tianjin West Railway Station celebrates first anniversary

Qingdao to Tianjin West on July 4th first
Beijing to Tianjin West coming
Shanghai to Tianjin coming

> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #4175
kw0943

Quote:
A bullet train leaves the Yichang East Railway Station on the inaugural trip of the Hanyi Railway, in Yichang, central China's Hubei Province, July 1, 2012. The 293-kilometer Hanyi Railway, an express rail link that connects Wuhan, capital of Hubei, and Yichang, was launched on Sunday. The railway will reduce travel time between the cities to one hour and 39 minutes. (Xinhua/Hong Tongqian)
A correction
According to this website it will only take 1 hour 39 minutes

Interestingly
293km/1h 39 m =177.5757...km/h
The top speed is supposed to be 200km/h. That will require near consistency at the top speed. I knew that even 250 km/h trains sometimes could not even achieve that average.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:58 AM   #4176
kw0943

How long is the network now with the new lines?

According to the BBC, China is supposed to have more HSR than the rest of the world combined by summer 2012
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM   #4177
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Wuhan-Yichang Railway has officially opened today, there will be 26 pairs of D trains daily, tickets starts at RMB 85 Yuan.
http://china.cnr.cn/yaowen/201207/t2...10073734.shtml
That means this HSR system can connect Chengdu and Shanghai?
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:27 AM   #4178
hmmwv

Quote:
What is the best trip time Shanghai-Yichang, of these 2 D train pairs?
20 are within Wuhan, and 2 to Nanchang, Nanjing and Shanghai each is 26 total. Where does the 27th go?
According to this picture it seems to me that the D3006/7 pair is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw0943 View Post
A correction
According to this website it will only take 1 hour 39 minutes

Interestingly
293km/1h 39 m =177.5757...km/h
The top speed is supposed to be 200km/h. That will require near consistency at the top speed. I knew that even 250 km/h trains sometimes could not even achieve that average.
Yeah that's a pretty quick trip indeed, the fastest train is the non stop D5801, it will depart Hankou Station at 12:50 and arrive at Yichang East on 14:29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
That means this HSR system can connect Chengdu and Shanghai?
Technically they had Chengdu-Shanghai D train service before, it just traveled at lower speed on the old line, that service was replaced by conventional T/K train last year because it's not competitive with airlines.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #4179
chornedsnorkack

Do any trains Wuhan-Chongqing use the new Wuhan-Yichang railway?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4180
Galactic

Likes (Received): 11

Wuhan is quite a node in the Chinese railway network. I tried to find a map depicting the railways around the city, but couldn't find one. So, I tried to make one myself based on this map of the country's railways and Wikipedia.

Is this map correct? I know there will also be an intercity line to Huanggang, but I believe construction has yet to start? I purposefully left out many stations, as the map would have become too cluttered had all of them been included.
Galactic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail