daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM   #4281
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Why would they order trains to run slower?
The slow-down was already in place before the accident, but I would've thought it was re-iterated as a political reaction after the accident.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4282
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
The line out to Urumqi will suck up a few thousand kms on its own. Kunming, Guanxi, Guilin
Those 1776 km were already included in the 22 655 km I knew of. As are Shanghai-Changsha-Kunming and Guangzhou-Nanning.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4283
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Those 1776 km were already included in the 22 655 km I knew of. As are Shanghai-Changsha-Kunming and Guangzhou-Nanning.
Correct, I don't know where the extra mileage come from neither.....
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #4284
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway35 View Post
The top-speed was not cut in the wake of Wenzhou crash; it was cut earlier than that, when the new Minister of Railway took office earlier last year. This has been a common misconception.
Still misconception.

You are conflating 2 completely separate slowdown campaigns.

First Slowdown Campaign
  1. was carried out on 1st of July
  2. affected 350 km/h lines
  3. included a small decrease of prices
  4. included addition of a few cheaper 250 km/h D trains mixed with 300 km/h trains on 350 km/h lines
  5. excepted Beijing-Tianjin and Shanghai-Hangzhou lines, leaving their top speed at 350 km/h
  6. did not affect 250 km/h and 200 km/h lines at all
Second Slowdown Campaign
  1. was announced and carried out only after Wenzhou crash
  2. did not affect the lines already affected by 1st Slowdown Campaign
  3. slowed the top speed of the 350 km/h lines excepted from First Slowdown Campaign
  4. affected 250 km/h and 200 km/h lines
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #4285
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

When will the Jingguangshengang High-Speed Railway be ready for the public?

Photos of the Zhengzhou East Station open, is the leg from Zhengzhou to Wuhan open to the public?

The leg from Zhengzhou to Shijiazhuang-Beijing open?
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4286
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Why would they order trains to run slower?
They decrease speed and decrease the ticket price by the same amount. However, since energy ($) = M*V^2, the cost of the operation went down by more than the decrease in fare, thus more money for the MoR.

However, considering it cost 1125 yuan a tissue box and 95,000 yuan for a toilet, we all know where the money went...

luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4287
George08
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Nanjing-Hangzhou Intercity High-Speed Rail to Open End of 2012

The Nanjing-Hangzhou Intercity High-Speed Rail runs a total length of 248 km (147 km in Jiangsu province), and stops at a total of 11 stations. Six of the stations are located in Jiangsu Province -- (Nanjing South Station, Jiangning Station, Lishui Station, Liyang Station, Xinyixing Station, Dingshu Station -- and five of the stations are located in Zhejiang Province -- Xinchangxing Station, Huzhou South Station, Deqing Station, Yuhang Station and Hangzhou East Station.

luhai, you're just so boring...
George08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4288
chornedsnorkack

Speedup

By the end of 6th Speedup Campaign in April 2007, 6004 km of railways previously built for 160 km/h or less had been sped up to 200 km/h or more.

Have any previously 160 km/h or slower railways been sped up to 200 km/h or faster since April 2007?

Shall any railways which never have been faster than 160 km/h be sped up to 200 km/h or faster between now and end of 2015?
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4289
George08
BANNED

High-speed rail to link Beijing and Shenzhen (2012-08-06)
The high-speed rail linking Beijing and Shenzhen in Guangdong province is expected to enter service by the end of this year. By then, the 2,372-kilometer journey will take only eight hours rather than the current 24 to 29 hours by train, the Southern Metropolis Daily reported on Monday.

The line will start at Shenzhen, end at Beijing and make stops at Guangzhou, Changsha, Wuhan, Zhengzhou and Shijiazhuang, the report said. The Shenzhen-Wuhan section has been operating since April 1.

The section between Zhengzhou and Wuhan will be finished by September.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #4290
hmmwv

Quote:
By the end of 6th Speedup Campaign in April 2007, 6004 km of railways previously built for 160 km/h or less had been sped up to 200 km/h or more.

Have any previously 160 km/h or slower railways been sped up to 200 km/h or faster since April 2007?

Shall any railways which never have been faster than 160 km/h be sped up to 200 km/h or faster between now and end of 2015?
There are several intercity railways were upgraded to 200km/h since 2007, the one I can remember from the top of my head is Chengdu-Chongqing on Sept 28, 2009. Of which Chengdu-Suining became 200km/h and Suining-Chongqing upgraded to 160km/h. I don't think they will be upgrading too many regular railways to 200km/h, they might as well just introduce CRH6 services on them and focus on improving efficiency.
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #4291
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Railway station questioned for poor management, high prices
2012-August-9 08:53
Shenzhen Daily

SHENZHEN North Railway Station has been criticized by taxi drivers and train passengers for poor management that results in rampant illegal taxi services and overly expensive food in the station’s shops.

“It takes only 35 minutes (by train) to get from Guangzhou to North Railway Station but it takes about an hour to wait for a taxi,” said a resident surnamed Zhou who often commutes between Shenzhen and Guangzhou. “You have to go up and down the stairs and queue for more than 30 minutes for a cab. It is really frustrating.”

Cab drivers don’t like to go to North Railway Station because of its proximity to the city center (meaning smaller fares), limited passenger turnover and rampant illegal taxis. In addition, Metro trains carry most of the station’s passengers during the day time.

A man surnamed Lin complained on his blog that when he arrived at North Railway Station on the night of July 29, the Longhua Line Metro service had ended but there was not a single taxi in the taxi area.

“At such a big station, to have no bus, no Metro and no taxi was an unbelievable experience,” said Lin, who has traveled to more than 30 world cities.

Many passengers are forced to share taxis if they don’t want to wait for long periods.

But taxi drivers don’t like the station because they often have to wait for passengers for a long time.

“It is a waste of time for us to wait here. If we wait an hour here, we could be earning 60 yuan (US$9.47) to 70 yuan in other places,” said a Shenzhen Taxi Service Co. driver surnamed Wang.

Illegal taxi services also make cab drivers reluctant to go to North Railway Station. Drivers have said there are 50 to 60 private cars that regularly offer illegal services there.

Convenience stores inside the station also receive complaints, for frequently charging double or triple the regular market prices.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4292
George08
BANNED

Probably the future subway Guangming Line will solve that problem.

Funny, but also the Korean high speed rail (KTX)
had a speed reduction from 350 km/h (designed) to 300 km/h.

As often happens, the development history of infrastructures
is very similar all over the world.

http://info.korail.com/2007/eng/ein/...w_ein01100.jsp
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4293
gnatho

Likes (Received): 4

Guys, need your help. For the past few hours I've been playing with Inkscape. My goal is to create a map of HSR network in China with opening dates of new lines. I know that there are already tens of different kinds of railway maps, but so far I havent found the one I have on my mind. My current project is purely in SVG what makes it perfect for any updates.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share some work with me (basically drawing the network and putting the opening dates on). Later on we could upload it to Google Project or some other site to coordinate our efforts.

Here's what I've managed to do so far.

MAP
gnatho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4294
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by George08 View Post
Probably the future subway Guangming Line will solve that problem.
Which one? Opening hour mismatch?

Who says what Guangming Line opening hours shall be?

The logical solution would be to extend Longhua Line opening hours, even at lower frequencies, to match the train schedules.

In which year is Futian Station due to open for traffic?
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4295
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatho View Post
Guys, need your help. For the past few hours I've been playing with Inkscape. My goal is to create a map of HSR network in China with opening dates of new lines. I know that there are already tens of different kinds of railway maps, but so far I havent found the one I have on my mind. My current project is purely in SVG what makes it perfect for any updates.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share some work with me (basically drawing the network and putting the opening dates on). Later on we could upload it to Google Project or some other site to coordinate our efforts.

Here's what I've managed to do so far.

MAP
Thanks for the effort, if you need line specific info (opening date, length, speed, etc) you can post the request here and I'll do my best to answer.
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4296
chornedsnorkack

Is it confirmed that Nanjing-Hangzhou is delayed into 2013?
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4297
gnatho

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Is it confirmed that Nanjing-Hangzhou is delayed into 2013?
From what I've read on gaotie.cn, it should be open "before" the 2013 Spring Festival
gnatho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #4298
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Railway station questioned for poor management, high prices
2012-August-9 08:53
Shenzhen Daily

SHENZHEN North Railway Station has been criticized by taxi drivers and train passengers for poor management that results in rampant illegal taxi services and overly expensive food in the station’s shops.

“It takes only 35 minutes (by train) to get from Guangzhou to North Railway Station but it takes about an hour to wait for a taxi,” said a resident surnamed Zhou who often commutes between Shenzhen and Guangzhou. “You have to go up and down the stairs and queue for more than 30 minutes for a cab. It is really frustrating.”

Cab drivers don’t like to go to North Railway Station because of its proximity to the city center (meaning smaller fares), limited passenger turnover and rampant illegal taxis. In addition, Metro trains carry most of the station’s passengers during the day time.

A man surnamed Lin complained on his blog that when he arrived at North Railway Station on the night of July 29, the Longhua Line Metro service had ended but there was not a single taxi in the taxi area.

“At such a big station, to have no bus, no Metro and no taxi was an unbelievable experience,” said Lin, who has traveled to more than 30 world cities.

Many passengers are forced to share taxis if they don’t want to wait for long periods.

But taxi drivers don’t like the station because they often have to wait for passengers for a long time.

“It is a waste of time for us to wait here. If we wait an hour here, we could be earning 60 yuan (US$9.47) to 70 yuan in other places,” said a Shenzhen Taxi Service Co. driver surnamed Wang.

Illegal taxi services also make cab drivers reluctant to go to North Railway Station. Drivers have said there are 50 to 60 private cars that regularly offer illegal services there.

Convenience stores inside the station also receive complaints, for frequently charging double or triple the regular market prices.
Hopefully in time they will get the kinks sorted out. Also I feel that once Futian station opens up Shenzhen North might get a reduction in passenger traffic. Maybe not. By the way, where is Shenzhen North Station? According to Google Maps it's located near Luohu but doesn't Shenzhen North share space with Longhua station? I'm confused as to where Shenzhen north station really is.

[IMG]http://i45.************/qn4egl.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4299
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yes - there are 2. The Luohu one is the old station but I believe is still in use today. The new HSR one is near Futian where you circled in red.

Old August 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #4300
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

So Google Maps is incorrect? Futian is located where it says Shenzhen Convention & Exhibit center. From what I remember the Shenzhen Railway station is in Luohu near the border. Google maps for China seems messed up sometimes.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail